Android bug out app recommendations?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Android bug out app recommendations?

Post by moab » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:25 pm

My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 took a dump last week. So i have a new Samsung Galaxy s8 plus. Not the most rugged phone i've ever owned. But it is waterproof to a few meters underwater. I've spent a few days configuring it. And I'm wondering:

What apps applicable to bugging out or hunting do you recommend?

*Additionally, does anyone have advice for the quickest and most discreet streaming app for things like videotaping criminals, natural disasters, police etc? I did a ton of research on this yesterday and beyond the aclu app. Can't find a clear choice.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Re: Android bug out app recommendations?

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:03 pm

If you don't have an Otter Box or similar product that is always my first recommendation. Expensive but.... My phone actually got run over by a car and has been with me through a number of physical altercations with zero damage on it because of the box. I can't recommend this highly enough. I always get them for the kids phones as well.

Next I recommend a cell phone signal blocking bag/ pouch. Taking the battery out to block signals is not fool proof but does help. A good pouch will block everything else.

Apps? I have so few. I am leery of sending my address book and contacts to everyone who wants to help me compute ballistics for example. Why would they need such information?

One that I would definitely get is a recovery app that allows you to track your phone if it comes up missing. It is shocking the number of burglaries and robberies we solve (and recover property) with those type apps. These days if you lose your phone at Walmart a disappointingly low percentage of people are honest enough to turn it in. Show up at their doorstep with the police and things get interesting fast. "I was just getting ready to call the police and turn it in I swear...."
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

johnnyrover

Post by johnnyrover » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:10 pm

We build apps, maybe this could be a fun side project.

If you had the ultimate bugout app, what would it do?

moab

Post by moab » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:04 pm

johnnyrover wrote:We build apps, maybe this could be a fun side project.

Run offline.
GPS Mapping.
Include all the literature you could find on bugging out or PAW's.
(The above really could be expanded into an encyclopedia of that information. It's long. I have over 5gb of just data on the subject. Everything from knot tieing to developing a solid waste removal system for a small community. To first aid. It's almost endless."
Compass.
Shoot sparks.
Rub my tummy.
Wash my socks.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:40 pm

I am so glad you asked. If I trusted an app to put all my eggs in one basket ideally it would perform multiple functions:

Resource Management:
It would show and track all the resources I had available to me take with me on a bug out. Ideally I could enter in a bar code scan of an items like a can of food, enter the number I had on hand, possibly enter a storage location and how many I had set as needed to take with me to support myself on a bug out. Then it would provide back to me:

- The weight of the item
- Caloric content of the item if food or beverage
- Availability of the item through my route out to wherever I am going (see below)

Items this would be useful to know: All expendable grocery items like food, water, toiletries, medications, batteries, first aid supplies, chem lights, candles, trash bags etc. Essentially it would store all the items on an inventory list and their expected availability cross referenced against current events.

Navigation:
It would store routes to wherever I was going and caches along the route (I don't use caches but some people do) as well as the contents of the cache if I desired. If there were any problems along the route like a lava flow taking out the road or an area under curfew for riots then it would find that out and present alternatives.

It should be able to calculate travel times and fuel consumption based not just on best possible travel times but also based upon being stuck on the highway for hours or stuck in 10 mph stop and go traffic as everyone flees the hurricane or tsunami. This should be based on whatever information is current as well as some kind of algorithm that determines how crowded the roads will be when everyone tries to leave at once (or not everyone depending upon what is going on). For example a certain percentage of the population will leave an area for a hurricane but practically everyone that can leave will flee a tsunami. If the routes are alternate routes it should recommend good areas to stop and fuel. Not a interstate gas station since they will be out of gas, not a highway rest stop since they will be packed with people who are out of gas, fleeing and desperate. I guess I could enter the parameters for what makes a good stop area since it is qualitative but suggestions are nice.

Information:
Should provide information based upon news alerts from all Federal, State and Local agencies (weather, disaster, etc) on events of interest in my home and work areas as well as all the routes that I have programmed in for egress routes. I have seen apps that do this but none cover routes that I know of. Also most don't do a very good job.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

johnnyrover

Post by johnnyrover » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:18 pm

moab wrote:
Run offline. - many apps already work without data connections (but that is changing)
GPS Mapping. - Google Maps can be downloaded for offline use, but GPS may not work in a PAW
Include all the literature you could find on bugging out or PAW's. - but how would you want it organized?
Compass. - there are many already
Shoot sparks. - well, do you really want your phone to be on fire?
Rub my tummy. - put it on vibrate mode, set alarm for every 1 second, set on belly
Wash my socks. - with a waterproof case it would be used as the agitation in a bucket

other thoughts?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:44 pm

It would be ideal if the app did not pull data on the individuals using it. If it did not send GPS or storage info to any secret app developer database, if it did not create profiles for marketing, and there were no secret backdoors to look at what the users were entering.

Preppers have trust issues. The phone is my least trusted piece of technology. My computer is my second least trusted piece of technology.

My knife is probably most trusted piece of gear.

And your responses to Moab got some good chuckles. :)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:10 pm

PAW and bugout are two very different events. PAW there will not be service, during a bugout there may be full or limited service.
The phone is my least trusted piece of technology. My computer is my second least trusted piece of technology.
You are looking at this the wrong way. You should explicitly trust your phone and computer to spy on you and send your personal information to the rest of the world. If you go that way then you leverage it.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Lol I do trust it to spy on me. Always.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”