Recipe developer makes up a week of backpacking food.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Recipe developer makes up a week of backpacking food.

Post by moab » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 am

Really interesting read. She's a recipe developer (never heard of it but it sounds cool) and her husband is an avid backpacker. So she developed a meal plan and recipes for a week long trip. Making the food as nutritious, small and lightweight as possible. Everything is dried or dehydrated. And can be cooked with just boiling water. Her husband is a picky eater. And he loved the entire weeks worth of food. It includes 12 different types of home made oatmeal and 6 dinner meals. All made by mixing ingredients in a ziplock bag.

https://www.theyummylife.com/Backpacking_Food

https://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ssgcmw

Re: Recipe developer makes up a week of backpacking food.

Post by ssgcmw » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Great find!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Nice job!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Breakfast and lunch look familiar but those dinners look appetizing and unique.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:35 am

That's a fricking amazing resource, moab. :clap: I wish the forum administrator would re-enable the 'like' button because your post is definitely deserving. You're just going to settle for an old fashioned thank you.

Those recipes are really inspiring me to go out, buy some bulk dried and dehydrated ingredients and get cooking. Also, King-Man is one lucky SOB. I wonder if his wife has a sister? :lol:

The only thing that I do that comes even close to this level of homemade instant meal engineering is my daily breakfast that I bring to work every day. It was recommended to my by a nutritionist as a much, much healthier alternative to those instant oatmeal packets:

a quarter cup of instant oats,
palm full of sliced almonds,
a few sprinkles of powdered cinnamon,
a pinch sweetened shredded coconut and
dried fruit, usually cranberries

Since I'm not camping, I also bring in a small container (a repurposed Fireball Whiskey nip bottle - I had to peel off the labels to stop of the snide comments at work :roll: ) of sweetened vanilla soy or almond milk.

I add water and heat it up in the microwave, then add the soy milk and any fresh fruit I have on hand. I used to include a few teaspoons of brown sugar, but I was able to cut back on that over time and last year eliminated it altogether. The dried fruit, soy milk and shredded coconut are all the sweetness I need now. For some strange reason, I never tire of this meal at work. (But weekends, it's a full on egg and sausage/bacon breakfast; I do, after all, have my limits.)

One other dehydrated meal-related tip I've developed for backpacking over the years: I've constructed an insulated pouch out of Reflectix and duct tape. Reflectix is that insulating material composed of mylar foil bonded to what is essentially bubblewrap. The pouch is sized to accommodate a standard 2-serving Mountain House freeze dried meal package, and built with an flap of material at the open end that I can fold over and tuck inside. I add the required amount of boiling water to the dehydrated food, stir thoroughly, re-seal and then drop the whole affair into the Reflectix pouch. I'm convinced it helps the food rehydrate better. If nothing else, the reconstituted food is noticeably warmer when you finally do eat it. This is especially helpful winter camping because those dehydrated food packets cool off fast in below freezing temperatures.

These things weigh essentially nothing and take up very little extra space in your pack. They also double as a dry, insulated place to park your butt when sitting around in the wild.

FYI: I've recently been thinking that those bubble wrap mailers would probably give 80-90% of the benefit as making one out of Reflectix. Those mailers lately have been multiplying around my house, even faster than my unending supply of Amazon cardboard boxes. :wink:

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Read the comments too. The author couldnt be any nicer. If anyone had any follow up questions id bet she'd answer.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”