Looking for thoughts on a knife...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ssgcmw

Looking for thoughts on a knife...

Post by ssgcmw » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new knife for wilderness SAR work (along with general bushcraft). I would like something in the 4-5" size range with a fine edge. I would prefer no glass breaker or other stuff at the pommel, just a plain end.

Right now my top two contenders are: Anyone have experience with either of these knives, or have something else to suggest?

Thanks!

Dooms

Re: Looking for thoughts on a knife...

Post by Dooms » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:45 pm

I have both the Esee 4 and the Tak-1. The Tak is a bulkier knife and a bit rougher fit and finish wise. The Esee is a nicer knife imo. That being said, I've used both and both will get the job done. The Tak lives in my BOB, the Esee is what I tend to carry. The Tak came with kind of a generic nylon sheath, the Esee came with a very nice kydex sheath.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Is a Mora out of the question?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:36 pm

woodsghost wrote:Is a Mora out of the question?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:58 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Just checking :D

And a Mora fits all the listed requirements, is lighter, and cheaper than those listed ;)

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Do they have full tang Moras at a good price point? I didn't mention full tang in the OP, but that is one of my requirements.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:11 pm

woodsghost wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:

And a Mora fits all the listed requirements, is lighter, and cheaper than those listed ;)
It was a post made in jest. Hope you took it that way. I own two Moras, a Companion and a Light My Fire. They are both fine knives for almost anything you would reasonably ask a knife to do. A full tang Mora like the Garberg would indeed suit OP's needs.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:24 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:

It was a.post made in jest. Hope you took it that way. I own two Moras, a Companion and a Light My Fire. They are both fine knives for almost anything you would reasonably ask a knife to do. A full tang Mora like the Garberg would indeed suit OP's needs.
Haha yeah. I got the jest. And then my Mora fanboi came out and I got kinda excited and bubbly. Same thing happens when I talk about AKs :awesome:

Ok, maybe I was a little insecure and uncertain ;)

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 pm

What about the Condor Crotalus? 5.5 inch blade of 1075 High Carbon steel with micarta handles (better in the wet),56-58 Rockwell hardness and around 60-80 dollars
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:39 pm

The Twizzler wrote:What about the Condor Crotalus? 5.5 inch blade of 1075 High Carbon steel with micarta handles (better in the wet),56-58 Rockwell hardness and around 60-80 dollars
I will have a look, thanks!

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:28 pm

ESEE 4 is a good knife, but my main complaint was how thick the blade was in relation to its width and length. I far prefer the thickness of the ESEE 3, but would prefer it a bit longer. I keep going back to my mora precisely because of how thin it is.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:00 am

RonnyRonin wrote:ESEE 4 is a good knife, but my main complaint was how thick the blade was in relation to its width and length. I far prefer the thickness of the ESEE 3, but would prefer it a bit longer. I keep going back to my mora precisely because of how thin it is.
I"m mostly with you. I find the width of the Mora to be a huge help in the woods and I find the width of other knives to present a number of challenges. My 2 Moras have survived all the abuse I have thrown at them in temps of 100F down to -20F. This includes routinely batonning wood. Usually 3-3.5 inches in diameter, but sometimes 4 inches. Though 4 inches is not very easy with the length of a Mora's blade. I"ve used them routinely for more than 10 years.

I also know 1 Air Force survival instructor and I have watched videos from other Air Force survival instructors praising the Mora. In my mind, if a knife can't do better than a Mora for $15-$25, then why bother owning it? I have other knives, but they are made to do other, specific jobs a Mora has a tough time with. Like batonning logs more than 4 inches in diameter and being a machete in dense midwestern brush.

For those who question the strength of the Mora, I think it is worth carrying 2. That way if you break one, you have the other, and for less money than any 1 other knife costs (and yes, they do break, but it takes a lot). But I come at this from a Bushcrafting perspective, not a SERE perspective, so I don't know what all the OP's needs are.

Just my experiences. Worth what y'all paid for them. :)

I do think anything with a full flat grind or a good hollow grind is worth taking a close look at. My best experiences are with those types of knife grinds. And of coarse the Mora's natural thinness.

Templar Knight

Post by Templar Knight » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:12 pm

I'd recommend KaBar all day long.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:13 pm

The Twizzler wrote:What about the Condor Crotalus? 5.5 inch blade of 1075 High Carbon steel with micarta handles (better in the wet),56-58 Rockwell hardness and around 60-80 dollars
Love the look of this one. I prefer the heftier blades on my knives, and this reminds me of the Schrade ones I currently have. Very nice addition to consider.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:45 pm

When it comes to a knife, Mora is always the answer.

I know people love them, but I was not impressed with my brother's ESEE. I like Ka-Bar.

Honestly, what I like most for beating-the-shit-outta knife is my $12 M-Tech amazon special.... so you probably shouldn't listen to me.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Just a thought, you could go old school. Find an old file (a rasp in some places) or a Sling blade, some people call it a Kizer blade, but I call it a sling blade.mmhmm. Make your knife from that and fit your own handle.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

moab

Post by moab » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:52 pm

I hope your talking about the new ESEE 4HM? It's a bushcraft version of the tactical ESEE 4. Very fine knife. I'm about to buy one myself. And like $89. You can't beat the price. Lifetime warranty too.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by EBuff75 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:02 pm

A Buck Selkirk 0863BRS might fit your requirements as well. I can't really speak to it as far as durability and such - I bought one just because it was purty! :) It feels pretty solid and has a nice edge on it. It has a full tang with a cross-hatched pommel that can be used for hammering. It's sort of designed as a survival knife, given that there is a fire starter and whistle built into the sheath. It is made in China though, if that sort of thing matters to you.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:15 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:When it comes to a knife, Mora is always the answer.

I know people love them, but I was not impressed with my brother's ESEE. I like Ka-Bar.

Honestly, what I like most for beating-the-shit-outta knife is my $12 M-Tech amazon special.... so you probably shouldn't listen to me.
http://a.co/96t3fAe :clap: :!: :clap:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:ESEE 4 is a good knife, but my main complaint was how thick the blade was in relation to its width and length. I far prefer the thickness of the ESEE 3, but would prefer it a bit longer. I keep going back to my mora precisely because of how thin it is.
You should check out the new esee 4hm. they redid the handle.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 pm

moab wrote: You should check out the new esee 4hm. they redid the handle.

Any particular reason? None of my complaints about the 4 had anything to do with the handle; the blade thickness and proportions I was mentioning are exactly the same between the classic and HM version.

In fact I have the 6HM and while I like the lack of choil I find most other things about it inferior to the original handle shape, especially with a bit of shaping work or The Knife Connection's G10 aftermarket scales.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
moab wrote: You should check out the new esee 4hm. they redid the handle.

Any particular reason? None of my complaints about the 4 had anything to do with the handle; the blade thickness and proportions I was mentioning are exactly the same between the classic and HM version.

In fact I have the 6HM and while I like the lack of choil I find most other things about it inferior to the original handle shape, especially with a bit of shaping work or The Knife Connection's G10 aftermarket scales.
I just meant in general. I didn't know you had the 6hm.

I was trying not to spend $200 on a Vulture Cholera. And didn't like the square scales on the ESEE4. Then stumbled across the ESEE4hm a couple weeks ago. And was impressed that it would at least work well with my hands. And I just missed a sale last week for $79.99. HAd I seen that sale I would have bought it.

I hear you on thickness. I have the ESEE5 and it's WAY too thick. I was a fool a little bit for buying it. I guess in a paw it will be nice to have something I can break vehicle windows with and baton soft metals. ;) And it is improved with the G10 scales from Knife Connection. I bought those too. although I prefer the feel of micarta. But the shape of the G10's is WAY better on my hands.

I also have an Ontario RD6 I got for free. (Some company on ebay sold me one with the wrong metal. And ebay or paypal refunded me and let me keep the knife.) It's .187? Or whatever that size is. And between that thickness and the square handle I don't like it much. It's first just to long. And needs to be thicker with that length. It feels like it would break batoning hardwood. And I just don't have a need for a knife that long.

I've had that tab open with the 4hm in it for weeks. Just can't seem to pull the trigger.

Now I'm drooling over the Helle Utvaer Knife:

I wish the blade was a bit thicker. But I'd be happy with it. It's a $200 knife. But you can get the blank for $57. I wonder how much it would cost to have someone make similar scales out of micarta?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:00 pm

flybynight wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:When it comes to a knife, Mora is always the answer.

http://a.co/96t3fAe :clap: :!: :clap:
There she is!! She even comes in orange!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am

I decided to go with the TAK1. One of our team guys is an Ontario dealer, and can get me the knife at just over wholesale. If I don't like it, then I'll try again.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”