DIY Bug Spray for Mosquitoes and Ticks.Natural essential oil

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

DIY Bug Spray for Mosquitoes and Ticks.Natural essential oil

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:36 pm

DIY Bug Spray for Mosquitoes and Ticks. Natural essential oils. Warning. Check for any allergies first.

Having contracted Lyme twice I needed to take additional steps for my hiking and preparedness. One problem is DEET and other bug sprays don't react well for me when applied to skin. Also sometimes they eat synthetic materials. I now spray clothing with pyrethrin insecticide however there is still a gap in the defenses. I decided to test this out by mixing the concoction in the Lyme tick and mosquito infested woods for the first use. I made both tick and mosquito spray.

The essential oils.

Grain Alcohol. This helps the oils and water properly mix.

Distilled water.

Funnel and host container.

Dark colored containers or those which shield sunlight are best. I used what was available.

Here are the instructions.

Tick spray.
Ingredients :

30 drops rose geranium essential oil
30 drops amyris essential oil
10 drops Citronello (Cedarwood , lavender oil, lemon oil, lemon grass oil) essential oil

1 ounce grain alcohol
3 ounces distilled water
1 dark colored 4 ounce spray bottle

Directions
1. Fill dark colored spray bottle with 1 ounce of grain alcohol
2. 30 drops of geranium essential oil , 30 drops amyris essential oil, 10 drops citronello essential oil
3. Put cap on shake well
4. Fill remaining 3 ounces with distilled water
5. Shake again
6.Spray on clothing and shoes
7. Store in a cool area away from like.

Live Tick free!
Rose geranium is the big one that really repels ticks.

Mosquitoes Free same process as above but use:
30 drops Citronella (Cedarwood , lavender oil, lemon oil, lemon grass oil) essential oil
30 drops rose geranium essential oil
10 drops peppermint essential oil
5 drops of Eucalyptus Essential oil

https://www.amazon.com/Geranium-Therape ... ential+oil

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-733739 ... ential+oil

https://www.amazon.com/Piping-Rock-Esse ... 2Boil&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Eucalyptus-100-T ... ential+oil

https://www.amazon.com/Peppermint-100-T ... ntial+oils

So far it has been working. Here is a video. Thanks for looking!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

woodsghost

Re: DIY Bug Spray for Mosquitoes and Ticks.Natural essential

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

:clap: :awesome: :mrgreen:

I am so so happy! I'll share with my wife. We have had mixed results with essential oils, but I think some of that is just me going into nasty woods.

So far, actually, I have had great results with ticks from using tea tree soap and putting an extra layer of oil around my ankles. But I am not in the woods like I used to be, so most of my experience in the past few years has been with hoards of mosquitos. Or....the tea tree is so good I simply have not seen a tick in years? I don't know at this point. But I'll try your mosquito recipe some time!

Awesome and thank you!

Oh, and I have found vanilla, even artificial vanilla, to work well against gnats. Even thick swarms.

Just some of my experiences.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: DIY Bug Spray for Mosquitoes and Ticks.Natural essential

Post by Beowolf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Quite the concoction. I saw this video on Youtube the other day, and I had two thoughts.

First, that seems to be some hellaciously expensive bug and tick spray with those ingredients.

Second, how long does a bottle keep? As in, mix and use on Monday. How many days/weeks would it keep in the spray bottle before either a reduction in effectiveness or some sort of nastiness going on?

Love the solution of essential oils vs all the artificial and toxic crap that is usually in such sprays.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: DIY Bug Spray for Mosquitoes and Ticks.Natural essential oil

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:07 pm

The cost was cheap per bottle. So cheap. After some use I found it was necessary to use maybe 3 times the amount compared to regular bug spray to repel mosquitoes. However so far (knock on wood) no ticks have bitten me,

analysis autonomy

Post by analysis autonomy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm still interested by those fans you see people set up on Youtube that attract and kill thousands of mosquitoes with a simple metal net and optional rubbing alcohol.

I just hate rubbing on oily bug spray and constantly playing defense. I'm curious if killing a thousand mosquitoes a day by having the fun running for an hour would be enough offence to keep them away from my campsite (or home backyard).

If not at home, do they make things like solar powered fans or does it consume too much power?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm

UglyST wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:07 am
You can also rub the area with the inside of the banana peel.
Only if you want to attract mosquitos. They are attracted to the oils in bananas. A few years ago my wife had to make a business trip lecture tour through West Africa. For a month prior to the trip she avoided bananas completely and took denatured garlic supplements. She didn't get a single bug bite during the entire trip, including during a visit to a banana plantation where everyone else suffered multiple bites.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 pm

Still works great. I need to make another batch.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”