Alcohol stove explosion.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Alcohol stove explosion.

Post by Woods Walker » Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 pm

I am working on a review for an alcohol stove. It had a small explosion for some unknown reason. The temps were in the upper 40's. 10 years ago had the same issue only a much bigger bang with a Trangia Military burner. That flash pushed the cloth material out the bottom gap and sprayed my face with alcohol. It extinguished the fire instantly. This one was smaller with no damage to the stove. As it only happened once and for reasons unknown to me not going to include this in the stove review however will post this separately for discussion.

Stove.

Traingia and Alocs.

Explosion in sequence.

Fuel was denatured alcohol. The stove basically new (Alocs was the one that flashed). Maybe 10 burns with 10 more after that. I have no answers.

Here is a video.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I cannot watch zombie flicks anymore. The violence & gore disturbs me.

Re: Alcohol stove explosion.

Post by MPMalloy » Sat May 26, 2018 12:23 am

I'm glad that you weren't hurt! :D
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

Post by Blast » Sun May 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Can you give specifics on the brand of DE you were using? Different companies (Sunnyside, Crown, HEET, etc) are made of different amounts of ethyl alcohol, methyl alcohol, methyl ethyl ketone, and the like. This will have an effect on the flame characteristics when used as a fuel.

Disclaimer: I’m the R&D Manager/lead chemist for one of the companies that sells denatured alcohol so I kind of have a stake in this.
-Blast

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon May 28, 2018 6:31 am

My two guesses on cause:
1. A drop of water inside the stove boiled and/or flashed to steam, raising the pressure and atomizing some fuel, causing the explosion.
2. Trapped airspace within the stove can create a potentially explosive air/fuel mixture, but usually doesn't ignite because the flame is quenched at the burner holes - one of these holes is too large, or another large enough gap in the stove design caused a flashback and ignited the air/fuel mixture in the dead space above the fuel reservoir.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”