Bug Out Walk and Talk. Snow and Slush.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Bug Out Walk and Talk. Snow and Slush.

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Seeing how today the last (maybe) of my snow and slush is melting better talk about this before summer. I am not a believer in the solo backpack survivalist. Man or women tosses on their pack then runs into the woods to escape the zombies, pandemic flu or whatever. It just seems like going from bad to worse. I prefer to have a safe stocked location setup with friends and family around me. People I can trust. That's how it has been done from the beginning of time so why change what works?

But this brings up an issue. I am not always at the bug out location. Often I am some miles away with highways, streets and dirt roads to traverse. Even during the best of times roads can be closed or traffic jammed. All it takes is one car or tree and it's game over. So I have plans which involve traveling on foot. It beats sitting in the truck waiting to die.

However in a disaster why would things be going your way. Why would the weather be nice. It seems trouble travels in packs. One can expect things to suck. Maybe it's just entropy. Who knows but considerations should be taken for safe walking. Slips, trips and falls are not action packed like being attacked by a bear, zombies or looters but far more likely IMO.

The gear.

1. You are your best gear item. Consider this. What makes someone think they can walk out into a professional baseball game and compete. Why do people think they can play goalie in the NHL without training and practice? No. You will get beaten.... badly... The same applies to traveling with a BOB over snow, slush and mud for miles. If the first time you do this is on game day you are going to get beat. You need to be physically able to do it. This more than anything will help mitigate the risks of mechanical injury. Get at least 10,000 steps a day even if not training with a pack. For this conditioning outing I did more.

People do even more all the time. It's not all that hard with training but naturally consult a doctor etc etc etc.

2. Gear.

I always try to pack a PSK, knives, light, extra garments etc etc etc.

But that's not what I am depending on to get me through the snow, slush and mud. Every often conditions can change within less than a mile. One area might be relatively dry and the other not so much. Just depends on elevation, exposure to sun and time of year. Here is what I use to keep from failing when the snow isn't deep enough for snow shoes. The micro spikes can be seen on my feet. They're lots of versions including yak tracks etc etc etc. Worth having when dealing with snow and ice.

Gaiters turn even marginal boots into something more. They keep snow and muck from going into boots and shoes. Very often the lower areas of the legs are subject to getting the wettest. Gaiters help greatly in that regard. They also take up very little pack room.

They're easy to put on or off.

Trekking/hiking poles. If yea don't have a set even a field expedited hiking staff helps in challenging conditions. 3 points of contact tends to be better than two. These have saved me more than a few times.

The blow down on the trail got worse in this area so that was a good excuse to stop and cook some food.

Had plenty of tinder nearby.

Enough wood.

That's good enough for a day camp.

Fire!

Time to go.

Trail was hard becasue of a few storms. Imagine this was a road during an ER. Odds are it would not be passable by car. Odds are no one would be doing anything about it in a bug out situation.

Get out of my way!

Bottom line.

If bugging out on foot is part of your plans physical training helps. Also gear to reduce the risk of falling. It's easy to concentrate on what's in the pack rather than what's on your person.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: Bug Out Walk and Talk. Snow and Slush.

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Great pics :crazy:. I live in the south so snowy winter survival is thankfully not that big an issue but it's good to see what others would do.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:36 am

Another great outing. You're living the dream!
Tony D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:35 am

Bugging out on foot in the snow is not an option for us. Luckily we don't get much snow. I guess if roads were impassible and we had to go We would take the ATVs with a good pioneer kit, winch and hope for the best.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

CG

Post by CG » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:47 am

The biggest and main prep I'm working on right now is ME. 'Cause if I'm not healthy, most of the rest of the crap isn't going to do much.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:24 pm

CG wrote:The biggest and main prep I'm working on right now is ME. 'Cause if I'm not healthy, most of the rest of the crap isn't going to do much.
That's about it. Being the best you will increase your chances more than than spending money on the latest and greatest gear IMHO.

CG

Post by CG » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
CG wrote:The biggest and main prep I'm working on right now is ME. 'Cause if I'm not healthy, most of the rest of the crap isn't going to do much.
That's about it. Being the best you will increase your chances more than than spending money on the latest and greatest gear IMHO.
It's a distinct possibility I'd be SOL in a survival situation anyway (hypermobile klutz who can't eat wheat - I don't see any of that going away with getting healthier), but it's still worth a shot!
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 am

CG wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:
It's a distinct possibility I'd be SOL in a survival situation anyway (hypermobile klutz who can't eat wheat - I don't see any of that going away with getting healthier), but it's still worth a shot!
You would be surprised what goes away. I had really bad diabetes. My feet hurt from it so bad some days I couldn't walk. Vision would get blurry. Once had to pull over and ended up in the ER. Right now I am going for a fast 5 mile jog. I won't even feel it. Maybe some of hills might register.. A bit but not really that badly becasue I will quickly recover once over the top. Before I would need to stop if really winded. Now I can just keep on moving. In fact I will probably just go faster.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 am

That looks cold, wet, and cold, and miserable. I hope the SHTF on a nice, warm, comfortable spring day :mrgreen:

The least sexy and most avoided topic about "survival" is one's physical fitness. Gear is much more fun to talk about, but many with expensive kit will likely not last two miles on foot fully kitted out; many will succumb to heart failure or a stroke before they even make it out the door or dip into their SHTF stash of goodies.

Unfortunately, I'm doing a stint here in Afghanistan, a little post-retirement fun. The good news (despite working 7 days a week) is that I can dedicate about 2-4 hours daily on my personal fitness. I avoid running other than just a couple miles a day, but I do anywhere from 4-8 miles on the elliptical every day along with my weight training. I just received my new Seek Outside pack, so I will start "road-marching" in the evenings since I won't get any backpacking trips in this year, I can still try and stay in shape.

Anybody who asks me about getting started with "prepping", I always tell them to start on their personal health (dieting, cutting back on bad habits, and getting into a fitness routine).

Great post...other than all that wet, white, cold stuff :mrgreen:

ROCK6

Return to “Bug Out Gear”