NEw LAPG 60L backpack. SALE $45!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

NEw LAPG 60L backpack. SALE $45!

Post by moab » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:02 pm

They just put this on sale for $45!

https://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-ln ... ENTHUSISTS*

$74.99 So A pretty good deal like always from LAPG.

From the company that brought you the #1 selling Bailout Bag in America, we've now developed a new hiking pack that is perfect for any outdoor adventure! The LA Police Gear LNT Pack does exactly what the name states - it allows you to pack all your favorite hiking gear in its large main compartment, and exterior pockets, all the while allowing you to move from place to place Leaving No Trace behind.

The LNT Pack is everything you need for an outdoor adventure, without putting strain on your wallet. This 60L pack is filled with features that will help you be able to spend the whole weekend in nature with everything you need all in one pack - you just fill it with all your favorites!

Comfortably Carry larger loads on extended trips with the LA Police Gear LNT Pack. It features adjustable shoulder straps and a removeable waistband to be able to customize the experience for each hiker.

This pack is the perfect addition to the LAPG line - so why not add this to your collection? Go take a hike with our LNT Pack NOW!

Features:

Made from 600D Polyester
Size: 60L
Hydration compatible up to a 3L Reservior
Adjustable shoulder straps that go up or down depending on your height
Molle Compatible
Storage on the bottom of the pack for shoes, helmet, or any bulky items
Removeable waist strap
Additional use: War bag

The only thing I don't see listed is the weight. I've asked them via email. Will post when they get back to me.
Last edited by moab on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: NEw LAPG 60L backpack.

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:33 pm

This thing caught my eye as well. Be sure to let us know.

moab

Re: NEw LAPG 60L backpack. SALE $45!

Post by moab » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:34 pm

They just put this on sale for $45! Never heard back from them about weight.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:27 pm

At $56 shipped, I decided to be the guinea pig. I need (totally wasn't an impulse buy) something to replace the ILBE I messed up while trying to trim it's weight anyway.

Dunno when I'll actually be able to get out with it (my weekends are spend fixing the house up for sale) but I can at least get a living-room review.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 pm

boskone wrote:At $56 shipped, I decided to be the guinea pig. I need (totally wasn't an impulse buy) something to replace the ILBE I messed up while trying to trim it's weight anyway.

Dunno when I'll actually be able to get out with it (my weekends are spend fixing the house up for sale) but I can at least get a living-room review.
I'm so tempted. But I already have so many packs. It's hard to justify. Plus I already have a 65L Gregory. Looking forward to your review. Especially how much it weighs.

Iowa_guy

Post by Iowa_guy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:32 pm

I too asked about pack weight. The deal ends tonight so I am just going to buy the thing for my son and be done with it.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Got the pack in today, so a few quick impressions and findings:

On the whole, my initial impression is basically positive: it seems like it will be a serviceable pack. On the pro side it's well-built, moderately priced (and at $45 was an absolute steal), not overly tactical (personal preference). On the cons, I think omitting the side and front pouches and (somewhat contrary to my previous statement) adding a few rows of 2-3 wide webbing to the sides would be nice.

According to my kitchen scale it's 6lbs.

The shoulder straps seem OK; wide enough, well-padded. There's an odd--to me--attachment system to the pack; the "yoke" has a sort of velcro loop, and there's nylon strapping on the back of the pack; you can adjust the height of the "yoke" in 1-1.25" increments. The belt's pretty standard; no belt pockets, a main strap and some adjustment stays, kidney pads. It runs through a padded "sleeve", and is velcroed (within the sleeve) to the back of the pack. There's an elastic sternum strap with two ~2in areas it can be moved to.

I'm not going to really opine on the padding; it seems adequate, but I don't think "walking back and forth in the living room with a couple kettlebells in the pack" is a useful test.

It's frameless, with a padded stiff frame sheet in a zippered compartment behind the hydration compartment; no clue about material.

There's 4 zippered pockets: one on each side, one in the lid, and one on the front. The side, front, and lid pockets seem very flat; I'm not really sure they're all that useful. The sides are accessible from the front, the lid from the back. The lid is nonremovable. All have a simple cord loop pull with some rubber overmolding; it's not 550.

There's a deep, mesh, and generally unremarkable bottle pouch on either side, under the pockets.

It has two horizontal compression straps on each side, and two vertical compression/closing straps on the front (that hook to the lid). There are two compression straps for the lower compartment. There's two more for the lid.

The main and lower compartments are separated by some nylon material, and aside from a water bladder hangar have no internal attachment mechanisms. There's a couple slots for a water tube, no other secondary access points for either. There's a hydration pocket with padded material enveloping it, and behind that the zippered frame sheet compartment. The lower compartment has grommeted drain holes, press-fit metal grommets.

There's a zipper, accessible from the lower compartment, to open the separator between the main and lower compartment. It's kinda inconvenient to use, but I don't actually see a problem with that; it's not like a user's likely to open it up in the field.

The lower compartment's zipper is covered by a...well, scrunchy. Seems to be an elastic band with loose material around it, like women's hair scrunchies. It's also inconvenient, but at least at first glance in a less "meh, no big deal" manner than the compartment separator zipper.

The front panel has 4 rows of webbing, 6 slots, with single-row stitching between.

Overall build quality seems what you'd expect from LAPG: good, but not exceptional. No missed edges, fairly clean, but lighter and without the excessive stitching you might expect from a heavier-duty pack. The zippers are medium-duty plastic; I don't think (not sure) they're YKK.

If I get around to it this weekend (after replacing a toilet and possibly toilet flange), I'll move my weekend pile into it and get some pictures.

Notes added later are this color.
Last edited by boskone on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Thank you for the details! Had been wondering about this one.

Looking forward to your further observations and reviews. LAPG has been a great resource for so many of my purchases!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:03 pm

Found a zipper around the separator between the main and lower compartments, accessible from the lower one. Added a note to the impressions above.

Iowa_guy

Post by Iowa_guy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:05 am

My son got his last night and we went through it. That scrunchy material around the lower zip makes it tricky to use. I assume its to allow some form of expansion for the lower pocket if you have bulky sleeping gear.

Top has some small straps to lash gear down. Not big enough for a sleeping bag more like a mat or rain gear. Bottom has loops if you decided to attach something to the bottom. The belt has slots to potentially mount small pockets, going to test that with a HPG Medium Pocket I have.

With an extra strap or two this could compress down pretty nice for when not fully loaded.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:00 pm

6lbs isn't bad for a 60L pack with all these amenities. Looks like a good deal. Don't recall off the top of my head the sizes it covers though. That might be an issue for me as I'm a 21".

Iowa_guy

Post by Iowa_guy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:53 pm

moab wrote:6lbs isn't bad for a 60L pack with all these amenities. Looks like a good deal. Don't recall off the top of my head the sizes it covers though. That might be an issue for me as I'm a 21".
My son is 5'1" now and the pack out of the box fit just right in the torso. Once I load it up I may adjust the shoulder straps.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Sorry about the much-belated pictures. Toilet install difficulties (whoever plumbed this place should be banned from anything involving measurements, tools, or common sense), an audit at work, and just being lazy interfered.

I didn't bother with the bottom strap loops or the loops on the lid, because I forgot there's exactly nothing interesting about them.

Let me know if there's some photo someone really wants me to try and get, unless you want one of me wearing it. My phone focused on everything but me and the pack, which I'll take as a sign from some deity that I shouldn't engage in selfies.

The front, nothing really standout (except the bright orange FireKnife):

The back, except the odd mounting also seems pretty normal:

The odd system for mounting the shoulder straps, but it seems to work fine:

The lid pocket; it's pretty jam-packed with a FAK, fatwood block, water purification drops, and Sawyer water filter:

The front pocket, trying to show it's basic uselessness (except maybe for some maps):

The side pockets, less useless than the front pocket but not great:

The main pocket, with a Camelbak hung (note the zipper for the framesheet compartment behind the bladder):

The foam and framesheet:

The framesheet, which I just found out has a couple nylon strapping "pouches" with aluminum stays:

The somewhat annoying "ruffle" around the bottom pocket's zipper:

A really crappy attempt to show where the divider zipper is; I couldn't get my phone to focus, even by attempting AvE's "Focus, you fuck!" incantation:

Iowa_guy

Post by Iowa_guy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 am

Good to see the used the Aluminum stays. You could possibly bend them to contour better.

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Sat May 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Boskone, thanks for posting this and keeping this forum alive!

I have long been an LAPG fan, I've never once been disappointed by their products. The Operator Pants are one of the best tactical pants on the market.

Anyway, I'll order one for myself now that I've read this, thanks!!
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 am

Good write up. Gonna have to look at their bags. Seems like an overly positive review for them.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

moab

Post by moab » Mon May 28, 2018 12:27 am

LAPG has a big Memorial Day sale going on right now. Have not priced out their packs. But might be a good time.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”