Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Langenator
* * *
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)
Location: Aggieland, TX

Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Langenator » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 am

So my 16+ year old 2 gallon gas can that provides fuel to my lawn mowers finally died. Splitting at the seam, not repairable.

I need a new one. Trying to feed the 1 pint (at most) tank on my push mower from one of my 5-gallon jerry cans isn't really a viable option.

I looked at HD and Lowe's, and all the cans there have been made into overly complicated, spill-prone monstrosities in the name of 'the environment'.

Anyone know where I can get a decent 1 or 2 gallon gas can that actually works? Does Canada still have decent gas cans? (I have family in WA state). I'm not going to Mexico, at least not without a mechanized infantry platoon and a QRF on standby.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15995
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by raptor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:42 am

There are retrofit kits that fix the new and improved gas cans. They are sold for use with water cans ( wink, wink, nod nod). Google them they are not hard to find. There are also YouTube videos on how to fix it without those kits. But the cans are environmentally friendly only in the sense that after using them you never want to use them again. They are a mess.
Last edited by raptor on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6694
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:44 am

Thread tagged for interest because you've touched on a pet peeve of mine: gas cans with so many government mandated safety features that they not only are more dangerous, but are borderline non functional for the purpose they are intended to perform (dispense gas).

Someone here at ZS suggested this aftermarket replacement for those absurd and wildly inaccurately named "spill proof" spouts. (Sorry I can't remember who it was, but know I silently thank you every time I use it. :clap: )

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by flybynight » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 am

Oh crap, what have they done now? Have'nt bought a gas can in years, But had to take one of mine out of service cause of a leak
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
Langenator
* * *
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)
Location: Aggieland, TX

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Langenator » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:05 am

Blame Kalifornia, specifically the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The idea was to reduce the air pollution from the gas vapors that escape when pouring gas.

Like most people, I wasn't aware this was a significant issue. I still don't. Maybe it is in the LA smog bowl, but I'm guessing they needed something to continue to justify their jobs.

Then they took it federal, and got the EPA to go along.

So instead of just having a spout on one end, and a little air hole at the other, there's these complicated contraptions that make it really hard to actually pour gas.

Plus they make something that should cost $5 at most cost between 3-5x that.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

User avatar
yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by yossarian » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:08 am

When your old cans die, save the spouts.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

echo83
*
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by echo83 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:23 pm

There are 2.5 gallon NATO cans that are way easier to use than the 5 gallon cans. I used one when I was a landscaper and it was awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/Wavian-USA-JC001 ... 621&sr=8-5

Look at the price, though. I think I just figured out why my boss lost his mind when my coworker scratched the paint on the side of the can...

User avatar
aikorob
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by aikorob » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:34 pm

try here--they have small ones in stock:
http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/brands/Jerry-Can.html
Someone recommended them a few years back in the deals thread---they had the 5 gal for a ridiculous low price
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

taipan821
* * *
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 am

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by taipan821 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:02 am

maybe see if you can import the fuel can

http://www.proquip.com.au/products/fuel ... -cans.html

I use the plastic fuel cans from this company (australian made) and have no complaints (thus far)
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:05 am

I could grumble a lot but instead...

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... gJaBPD_BwE
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 8544
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 am

Stercutus wrote:I could grumble a lot but instead...

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... gJaBPD_BwE
Got one of those....it takes about 75 squeezes of the pump handle per gallon.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54 am

RickOShea wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I could grumble a lot but instead...

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... gJaBPD_BwE
Got one of those....it takes about 75 squeezes of the pump handle per gallon.

Bah, they used to make one that you did not have to squeeze.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

User avatar
Langenator
* * *
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)
Location: Aggieland, TX

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Langenator » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:52 am

aikorob wrote:try here--they have small ones in stock:
http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/brands/Jerry-Can.html
Someone recommended them a few years back in the deals thread---they had the 5 gal for a ridiculous low price
I bought one of the 10L ones. It works with the 20L ones I already have, hopefully not to big for pouring into the mowers. I went with the 10L over the 5L because the ride-on has a 2 gal tank (I think.)

Price on the can was reasonable, but the shipping...ouch.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Location: Possum Kingdom, VA
Contact:

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:52 am

RickOShea wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I could grumble a lot but instead...

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... gJaBPD_BwE
Got one of those....it takes about 75 squeezes of the pump handle per gallon.
Mine is 12 years old, or so. I don't like the hose/pump combo and often just pull the container up on car ramps and transfer fuel to a smaller container to better use. I do like that mine seals tight and can be stood up out of the way. I tend to use a funnel/can method with most liquid transfers because I cannot seem to make hoses work, other than those attached to a keg back during my years living as part of a rugby cult.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

curryman
* *
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: dallas

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by curryman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Kinda pricey but great quality.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/JC3014

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Location: Possum Kingdom, VA
Contact:

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Quality is important. This forum, in my opinion, hums when the mixture is balanced: Quality to "in a pinch."
Thanks. Right on.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15995
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 pm

I see Sportsman's Guide has these on sale.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=2150985

If quality and longevity is desired, it is tough to beat a metal 55 gallon drum. They are DOT approved for transport of gasoline assuming they have the contents properly labeled and manifested. The only problem with them is that full of gasoline they weigh 400 +/- lbs. Getting fuel out is simple with a siphon but any kind of pump will be pricy. That and you will still likely want a small can for refilling the equipment...a can that does not suck :D

JRR
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by JRR » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:13 pm

I just use an anti-freeze jug.

User avatar
Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:54 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)
Contact:

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Sun Yeti » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Langenator wrote:Blame Kalifornia, specifically the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The idea was to reduce the air pollution from the gas vapors that escape when pouring gas.

Like most people, I wasn't aware this was a significant issue. I still don't. Maybe it is in the LA smog bowl, but I'm guessing they needed something to continue to justify their jobs.

Then they took it federal, and got the EPA to go along.

So instead of just having a spout on one end, and a little air hole at the other, there's these complicated contraptions that make it really hard to actually pour gas.

Plus they make something that should cost $5 at most cost between 3-5x that.
It's a common syndrome. When water saving toilets first came out, they sucked. When energy saving light-bulbs first came out, they sucked. When low flow showerheads first came out, they sucked. Manufacturers usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming into building a more efficient [whatever widget], then they charge more for it and design it poorly. It's only two or three versions later that they get it right.
The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -Isaac Asimov

User avatar
Langenator
* * *
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)
Location: Aggieland, TX

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Langenator » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 am

Sun Yeti wrote:
Langenator wrote:Blame Kalifornia, specifically the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The idea was to reduce the air pollution from the gas vapors that escape when pouring gas.

Like most people, I wasn't aware this was a significant issue. I still don't. Maybe it is in the LA smog bowl, but I'm guessing they needed something to continue to justify their jobs.

Then they took it federal, and got the EPA to go along.

So instead of just having a spout on one end, and a little air hole at the other, there's these complicated contraptions that make it really hard to actually pour gas.

Plus they make something that should cost $5 at most cost between 3-5x that.
It's a common syndrome. When water saving toilets first came out, they sucked. When energy saving light-bulbs first came out, they sucked. When low flow showerheads first came out, they sucked. Manufacturers usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming into building a more efficient [whatever widget], then they charge more for it and design it poorly. It's only two or three versions later that they get it right.
Of the items you list, only the light bulbs are any good now. The toilets still suck, as do the showerheads. Maybe not as bad as they did, but they're nowhere near as good as they used to be.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my f*&ing toilet is clogged. Again.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

gary83
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by gary83 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:32 am

I also have NATO cans. Very good quality. No spilling.

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Location: Possum Kingdom, VA
Contact:

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:36 am

I do enjoy the way he framed the question! "Best," and other superlatives, whether on the hand computers people still call phones, the marketing box called teevee or here on the interwebz always seem to be deceitful. I'd prefer something that doesn't suck.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 15995
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by raptor » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:I do enjoy the way he framed the question! "Best," and other superlatives, whether on the hand computers people still call phones, the marketing box called teevee or here on the interwebz always seem to be deceitful. I'd prefer something that doesn't suck.
I agree. The "best" superlative alwasy drives me nuts also.

User avatar
Langenator
* * *
Posts: 494
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:20 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)
Location: Aggieland, TX

Re: Needed: Gas Can That Doesn't Suck

Post by Langenator » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:35 pm

The choice of words was based partly on the fact that all the gas cans I've looked at or read about, do, in fact, seem to suck, thanks to CARB and the EPA, and partly on the fact that it's just a gas can to fill up my lawn mowers. It doesn't need to be special, it just needs to hold and dispense gas without undue mess and hassle. It's not like I'm carrying it on a roof rack in the Baja 1000 or the Paris to Dakar rally.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”