The Campfire Dragon.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

The Campfire Dragon.

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:31 am

I really like small twig/wood burning stoves for the my hiking pack and BOB. They never run out of fuel and very often there is little to go wrong. Actually I shouldn't say that. A small firebox is harder to sustain flames than a large tent stove or fire ring. Wet wood makes it even more problematic. That's why I like bellows to help stoke the flames. There is a bit of history here.

Over a decade ago I purchased a twig burning stove known as a Stratus Trail stove. It appears to be still for sale. Made in the USA which whenever possible I like.

For 20 bucks it's still a great deal.

http://www.trailstove.com/details.html

The stove comes with an addition to blow air directly into the firebox without getting a face full of smoke. The coals would glow more intensely allowing the stove to flash over easily when smoldering.

Even has a little port for the pipe. Just blow on the other end and the fire triangle (heat---fuel---oxygen) takes care of the rest.

I always wanted to DIY something even smaller for my kit but never gotten around to it. Then one day I stumbled onto the Campfire Dragon. 9-14 dollars online so figured that would be a good solution. A small USA made cottage industry type thing. I am really drawn to stuff like this. Just look at that green dragon blowing flames on the campfire in their website. I can't get enough of stuff like that. The trail stove is a similar gear item as is made in the USA, not that expensive and fun. :D

http://www.campfiredragon.com/

Fits right in my backpacking fire kit.

The Dragon. Beyond being bellows a tube is actually useful survival kit in it's own right. Length is 2.5 feet.

Wooden mouth piece to help blow.

A metal end so it will not melt and little wooden sliders so yea don't crush the tubing when holding to maximize air flow.

The general idea..... Wet wood and ground.

Blow on the coals.

And the fire really flares up.

If everything is very dry I don't need it. In fact can get along just fine without a bellow tube but IMHO makes the job easier in the wet conditions. For example.

Using my neck knife to remove some of the wet bark and fine splitting.

In the video you can see the entire process of igniting the stove and using the bellows in very wet condtions.

Bacon is done!!!

For those who are pyros check out the video.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”