Absolute minimum

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

McArther

Absolute minimum

Post by McArther » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:01 am

So I'm putting together a pack (literally, manly art of sewing) for general, every day use. It's a one-strap that I can tighten snug to my body for maximum freedom of movement and small enough that it won't be a hindrance in extremely tight quarters. I have a large pack for long trips/heavy gear. This one's going to be for day to day use, trips to the range, and 'missions' where a larger pack would be a hindrance. As much as I love straps and buttons, I don't want anything loose that a north Korean-zombie-terrorist might be able to snatch while I'm trying to get away. So, it'll be heavy duty zippers only. I am going to cover the outside with molle webbing in case I absolutely need to attach gear to it, but generally I want to stow everything inside. Now, in keeping with this minimalist theme I want a minimal load of gear. Everything in it needs to either fill at least one vital role or a bunch of lesser roles and be as small and light as possible. I need space leftover too, in case I'm scavenging the wasteland and come across a stash of radiation free beef jerky. So far I'm thinking:

Basic tool kit (pliars, screw driver with multiple bits, utility knife, roll of electrical tape)

Basic first aid kit (bandages, iodine, antibiotic ointment, aspirin, exam gloves, survival blanket)

Water bottle (yes, with water in it)

Lighter/matches

A few feet of paracord

Food (like two small packs of granola bars)

Spare phone charger

That's all I got at the moment. Any suggestions on other items to add? Anything I mentioned that really isn't worth taking?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

eugene

Re: Absolute minimum

Post by eugene » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:01 pm

For a basic tool kit I'd throw in a leatherman or similar to replace the listed tools, it will do 99% of what the separate tools will and take less space.

For phone charging I'd throw in a battery pack as well. I use a fuel+ because it does pass through charging (surprisingly not many do that) so you can plug the battery pack into the wall adapter then plug the phone into the battery pack and charge both. I use a slightly larger tablet spec'ed 120v to USB so there is enough power to charge the pack and phone at the same time.

I'd add pen/pencil/sharpie and small notepad, a small flashlight (AAA or 2AAA LED Maglight is sufficient).

Add some firestarter, a small ziplock with dryer lint or something to help get a fire started.

I'd also sew MOLLE into the back of your pack and make the strap removable. This way you can make a layered approach. I have a small minimal bag like this which can either attach to the outside or fit inside my main pack.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Agree with Eugene. Ditch the separate tools and go with a multi tool.
Flashlight
Sunglasses
Fixed blade knife ( you can go name brand expensive or cheap . Amazon is filled with cheap priced knives Pick one with lots of good reviews)
phone charger
small radio
water bottle
water purifier
compass
small first aid kit
sturdy gloves
pen & pad
paracord and duct tape
coke can stove is small and easy to make ( but will require small container of fuel .) or small wood gas stove
couple energy bars
couple coffee packets ( or hot chocolate )
couple of instant soup packets
Pistol
holster
box a ammo
small amount of cash
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm

I didn't include my pistol and spare mag in my minimal bag since I carry it separately.
Add some change too, a couple $ in quarters to use a vending machine.
If you have space a spare pair of socks in case you step in a puddle.
I carry separate from first aid a couple caffeine pills, you could keep those with the energy bars if you want.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 pm

eugene wrote:I didn't include my pistol and spare mag in my minimal bag since I carry it separately.
I carry separate from first aid a couple caffeine pills, you could keep those with the energy bars if you want.
Where do you get caffeine pills and how do you take them? I mean how many mg before you get shaky?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:31 pm

moab wrote:
eugene wrote:I didn't include my pistol and spare mag in my minimal bag since I carry it separately.
Where do you get caffeine pills and how do you take them? I mean how many mg before you get shaky?

Gas stations, Walgreens, Walmart etc. NoDoz are the most recognized name brand. Usually the recommended dose is equal to a cup of coffee, so you can figure tolerance from there.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:20 pm

yossarian wrote:
moab wrote:

Gas stations, Walgreens, Walmart etc. NoDoz are the most recognized name brand. Usually the recommended dose is equal to a cup of coffee, so you can figure tolerance from there.
Oh. I didn't know that was in those. Good to know. I use 5 hour energy sometimes. But pills are a lot easier to pack.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:02 pm

I included the pistol in the bag because I want room for it for if I take it off
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:58 am

i center my gear around a torch, poncho and water. The idea being i can probably walk a couple of days if i can see and am not getting rained on. Which should get me out of most trouble.

Now i add to that ppe. (Gloves, Mask, Goggles.) So if it is some really crap disaster I am not carving myself up climbing over broken glass or breathing asbestos.

Then first aid, then camping type stuff.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Here is my adventure bag load out. Not much stuff overall but covers lots of the basics. Not meant to be a full BOB.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

delarey

Post by delarey » Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Ditch the electrical tape for duct tape.
Poncho.
Single wall stainless water bottle.
Lifestraw.
Way to make fire.
Swap the tools for a good multi tool.
Petzl headlamp.
Mora fixed blade knife.
Paracord, fishing line
IFAK and booboo kit.

Knowledge above all. Your brain is your best survival tool.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat May 12, 2018 4:30 am

Fox40 whistle
Bandana
Fiskars scissors
Contractor trash bag
Almond butter and a granola bar / clif bar

Everybody else hit the other stuff I carry...
Tony D

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 pm

I'll actually support the separate tools approach, I gave up on traditional multitools quite a while ago.

Chief problem I found was needing two tools for one job and only being able to use one or the other; classic example is needing a screwdriver to turn a bolt and the pliers to hold the nut. Very rarely do I need the leverage of a full sized multitool either so I now carry a small angled driver with a full set of bits (won't find allens and torx on many multitools either) and very small key chain pliers. Since the bits and driver are in my frame bag or backpack I also keep a single philips and a stepped, multi sized wrench with a flat head at one end on my keychain. the pocket stuff is all smaller and lighter then a multitool and is dummy corded to my belt loop at all times. The right angle bit driver lets me reach places and turn better then any multitool I've ever owned as well.

This picture is a few years out of date, but the driver and bits have remained unchanged:

The flat tool in the upper right is the same idea as my current pocket-wrench, but I upgraded to a much smaller version. I can't find a recent pocket dump photo but here is my keychain pliers and a very handy minimalist utility knife that I somehow misplaced:

share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

delarey

Post by delarey » Sat May 12, 2018 10:55 pm

Solid suggestions and reasoning there...

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 am

Large knife, hatchet/tomahawk, small knife, flint & steel, revolver, ammo, wool blanket, wool clothes, jerky, flour, dried foods, cook pot, way to make char cloth, snare wire. Primitive is good.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon May 14, 2018 10:02 am

If you are going to be scavenging the wastelands you need to push aside that fantasy that you will be making phone calls.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 14, 2018 11:40 am

IDK people scavenge the wastelands today then make phone calls.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Return to “Bug Out Gear”