It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: MSR XGK series of stoves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
This discussion will include civilian variants and military variants; pricing, performance, differences, etc.

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
background info

MSR MODEL 9 1973-1975 (White Gas Only)
MSR MODEL 9A ?
MSR MF 1976-1977 (Multi-Fuel)
MSR G 1977-1981 (White Gas Only)
MSR GK 1977-1981 (Multi-Fuel)
MSR XGK 1982-1996 ?
MSR XGK II Shaker Jet Stove 1997-1998
MSR XGK Expedition Stove 1999-2004
MSR XGK EX 2005-Current
?

https://thesummitregister.com/evolution ... -ex-stove/


_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Posts: 7896
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 291 times
I bought my MSR-XGK in Spokane in 1978. Killer stove. The older stvoes actually put out more heat that the newer models.

https://thesummitregister.com/evolution ... -ex-stove/ pics of the evolution.

https://www.wildsnow.com/2548/msr-xgk-ex-test-review/
Old vs new for heat output. "The new model is thus about 6% slower. "

_________________
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline
*

Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am
Posts: 67
Location: Maine
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 10 times
I have one of those military ones. I picked it up last year on sale. I've got a maintenance kit coming mostly for the white gas jet for now. Anybody know what the deal is on the Arctic pump? I ordered one because I plan on this being a winter stove(melting snow). Seems odd the military version doesn't have it but maybe it only is needed with white gas. Thanks . standing by.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
Robbie in ME wrote:
I have one of those military ones. I picked it up last year on sale. I've got a maintenance kit coming mostly for the white gas jet for now. Anybody know what the deal is on the Arctic pump? I ordered one because I plan on this being a winter stove(melting snow). Seems odd the military version doesn't have it but maybe it only is needed with white gas. Thanks . standing by.


I used my XGK II down around or below -50F without problems.

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/arctic-fuel-pump

From MSR: Specifically engineered for use in temperatures below freezing, our Arctic Fuel Pump features extra-robust seals to prevent leaks in arctic conditions. It is field-maintainable and works with all MSR liquid-fuel stoves, except the Dragonfly® stove. Use only below 0° C (32°F).

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Last edited by teotwaki on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
From the Classic Camp Stoves forum https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/m ... ump.34589/

MSR did make a service kit for the Norwegian Army that included the blue seal and ditto o-rings. I recently got hold of - and just passed on to a domestic scout group, some kits that were left over from a major procurement by the NA. As a curiosity, I had them listed on ebay for almost a week at a very reasonable price (compaired to the std kit) with no interest at all.

In principle these seals and o-rings should be available from MSR. The reason for not using the blue seals in temp above 0C is that they then will wear more rapidly.


Picture ---> https://classiccampstoves.com/attachmen ... pg.166395/

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
Robbie in ME wrote:
I've got a maintenance kit coming mostly for the white gas jet for now.



In the video the narrator said that the AV gas jet was good for white gas. Can you compare the XJ jet to the new one? (GK?)


Thread on standard jets at ClassicCampStove: https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/m ... ion.14523/

I will edit this jet list as I compile more info

GK is a “compromise” jet suitable for both White Gas/Coleman/Naptha and kerosene/paraffin/lamp oil/mineral oil.

XGK-EX X-Jet 419267. Diesel
XGK-EX Shaker GK-Jet 417206. Jet for Gasoline and Kerosene (petrol and paraffin if you are a Brit). This is the model with the flexible fuel pipe.
XGK-EX GK-Jet 419266. Jet for Gasoline and Kerosene (petrol and paraffin if you are a Brit).
XGK-EX Shaker X-Jet 417228. Jet for Diesel, this is the XXGK model with the flexible fuel pipe.
XGK G-Jet Non-Shaker 419250 Petrol Jet for older non-shaker jet models.
XGK K-Jet Non-Shaker 419251 Paraffin Jet for older non-shaker jet models

Military
XJ for JP-8
XG for Diesel

XGK II Shaker Jet Models have a letter S prefix: SG and SK


_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Last edited by teotwaki on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
This is what my XGK shaker jet stove looks like and mine was heavily used. I think I bought it in the 80's or 90's. It became pretty beat and needs a rebuild.

Image

I bought a commercial XGK EX a while back and later came into a XGK EX military with a number of the tan bottles.

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:34 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
This British site lists MSR stove parts along with MSR part numbers https://www.needlesports.com/advancedse ... x?Term=MSR

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:04 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
International name for various liquid fuels http://fuel.papo-art.com/

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 pm 
Offline
* *

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:40 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Kalamazoo Michigan
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
The XGK in its various forms is a bullet proof stove.

While it will burn just about any petroleum based fuel, in extreme cold weather conditions the best performing fuel in my experience is white gas/ naphtha. White gas/ naphtha is also the best general use fuel.

While it will burn other fuels, the use of other fuels may require the use of Firepaste or similar products (alcohol based hand sanitizer for example) to preheat the fuel so that it vaporizes. The stove has a wick at the bottom of the burner cup which normally does this but supplementing the wick with additional accelerants helps to get fuels like kerosene and diesel to vaporize by heating the stove body up so that the fuel vaporizes before going through the jet. Frequent flameouts can occur if you are not careful and high pressure liquid fuel spraying around is a significant safety concern...

_________________
KD8EIB


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:21 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
Redbad wrote:
The XGK in its various forms is a bullet proof stove.

While it will burn just about any petroleum based fuel, in extreme cold weather conditions the best performing fuel in my experience is white gas/ naphtha. White gas/ naphtha is also the best general use fuel.

While it will burn other fuels, the use of other fuels may require the use of Firepaste or similar products (alcohol based hand sanitizer for example) to preheat the fuel so that it vaporizes. The stove has a wick at the bottom of the burner cup which normally does this but supplementing the wick with additional accelerants helps to get fuels like kerosene and diesel to vaporize by heating the stove body up so that the fuel vaporizes before going through the jet. Frequent flameouts can occur if you are not careful and high pressure liquid fuel spraying around is a significant safety concern...



Thanks! I have only ever used white gas in my XGK when in the US but I guess I should give some other fuels a try in order to have some hands-on experience with them before the need arises.

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:28 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
Using my XGK II a long time ago at 17,000 feet. You can spot the red MSR fuel bottle and the pot in between our tents. The stove was in constant use and performed flawlessly while melting snow and boiling water.

Image

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:43 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Posts: 9383
Location: CT
Has thanked: 603 times
Been thanked: 577 times
Never did get one of these. Good thread.

_________________
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:21 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3358
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 287 times
Are these the same as the MSR Firefly (or rather is the Firefly the same as these)? They look the same, the firefly seems to have bigger stand though.

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
Halfapint wrote:
Are these the same as the MSR Firefly (or rather is the Firefly the same as these)? They look the same, the firefly seems to have bigger stand though.


I think the MSR Firefly has evolved into the MSR DragonFly
Image

Image

Apparently it might have a unique pump and it does have dual fuel valves for flame control which helps for more specialized cooking and even baking. The XGK fuel valve is a little coarse for someone who wants fine flame control. The flame spreader design looks the same but the DragonFLy appears to be bulkier than the XGK

DragonFly specs

Fuel Diesel, Auto, White Gas, Jet, Kerosene
Burn Time (Max Flame) (20 oz. of fuel) (White gas) 2 hrs. 6 min. / (kerosene) 2 hrs. 33 min.
Average Boil Time (White gas) 3 min. 30 sec. / (kerosene) 3 min. 54 sec.
Dimensions 6.3 x 5 x 3.5 inches
Weight (Stove and pump only) 14 ounces

XGK specs
Dimensions 5 x 3.9 x 3.5 inches
Fuel White Gas, Diesel, Auto, Kerosene, jet fuel
Burn Time (Max Flame) (20 oz. of fuel) (White gas) 1 hrs. 49 min. / (kerosene) 1 hrs. 38 min.
Average Boil Time (White gas) 3 min. 30 sec. / (kerosene) 2 min. 48 sec.
Weight 13.2 ounces

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3358
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 287 times
teotwaki wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
Are these the same as the MSR Firefly (or rather is the Firefly the same as these)? They look the same, the firefly seems to have bigger stand though.


I think the MSR Firefly has evolved into the MSR DragonFly
Image

Image

Apparently it might have a unique pump and it does have dual fuel valves for flame control which helps for more specialized cooking and even baking. The XGK fuel valve is a little coarse for someone who wants fine flame control. The flame spreader design looks the same but the DragonFLy appears to be bulkier than the XGK

DragonFly specs

Fuel Diesel, Auto, White Gas, Jet, Kerosene
Burn Time (Max Flame) (20 oz. of fuel) (White gas) 2 hrs. 6 min. / (kerosene) 2 hrs. 33 min.
Average Boil Time (White gas) 3 min. 30 sec. / (kerosene) 3 min. 54 sec.
Dimensions 6.3 x 5 x 3.5 inches
Weight (Stove and pump only) 14 ounces

XGK specs
Dimensions 5 x 3.9 x 3.5 inches
Fuel White Gas, Diesel, Auto, Kerosene, jet fuel
Burn Time (Max Flame) (20 oz. of fuel) (White gas) 1 hrs. 49 min. / (kerosene) 1 hrs. 38 min.
Average Boil Time (White gas) 3 min. 30 sec. / (kerosene) 2 min. 48 sec.
Weight 13.2 ounces


Yes you are correct! Thanks, my memory clearly not working.

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3865
Has thanked: 1652 times
Been thanked: 507 times
Halfapint wrote:
Yes you are correct! Thanks, my memory clearly not working.



You are most welcome! Sometime soon I will pull my XGKs into one spot to compare some things. I may disassemble the oldest one and clean it up.

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group