It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:57 pm 

Woods Walker wrote:
moab wrote:
So I've avoided the topic of bugging in. Like an ex-Marine with a rifle, a pair of boots and a backpack. I was ready to leave - like yesterday. ;) My wife reminds me after our latest refinery fire here in town. That we need to be prepared for a short to long term "bug in". Sweeter words could not have been heard. As what I here is "Honey, go ahead and spend the money getting us prepared for disaster!". Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

OK. OK. I'm calmed down now. Cause she never says go buy ANYTHING. Unless it's stuff she hates buying like cars and places to live. lol. SO I usually plan and plan and spend my own money on prepping and bug out items. But to be fair I have completely avoided the topic of bugging in. But now I find ourselves moving in 7 months to a better more northern state. But it's not like I can't take all this stuff with me. Anyway it's time to start prepping rather than just bugging out prepping. Our ideal bug out location is just 7 months away. So we can effectively start preparing now.

Situation:

Family of three. Two adults and a 17 yr old. All trained at different levels of firearm use. In a house in Socal next to LAX, Chevron oil refinery, Water treatment plant and the Los Angeles Air Force Base. Ya. We're right in the middle of several high value targets. And a mile or two from the worst part of the city. I'm not to worried as the city is WAY overfunded because it's the epicenter of all these targets. It's actually the main command center for any disaster that might happen locally. It's way over policed. But you never know. Things could spill into our town easily.

We have a mini van and large suv for bug out. Which would be problematic in the early hours/days. We'd probably bug in for as long as a month or two. We have a smaller house on a large lot - at least a half an acre if not one. Large tree in the backyard could serve as wood fuel if we were desperate. Can't drink the city water. Officially you can. But we don't nor does anyone else. Climate is mild. We also have 3 dogs and 1 cat - a bigger french bulldog, a tiny yorkie and a 1 yr old German Shepard. The last is turning into the perfect bug in or bug out dog. I love this animal. Definitely part of ALL of my preps. The cat is an American Bobtail. Which means he's sort of like a grey bobcat. He's pretty big and self sufficient. But he'd for sure go in a carrier.

(Which brings me to a situation I hadn't thought of. If I chose to bug out with the dogs AND their carriers. That's a lot of room taken up in the SUV or Van. I may have to rethink that. I do have harnesses for them that clip into the seat belt system. Hmmmnn. food for thought.)

So I'm starting:

1) Water - I need jerry cans or the like to store water in. I think 5gal cans is best so I can move them. And take them with us easily when we move. Where? How much? Once I get to a more permanent place I'll probably opt for 50gal drums. I also need a larger water filter than my Sawyer mini. I would prefer to treat the water myself. Rather than buy off the shelf. Suggestions for containers and filters?

MSR Mini works EX and Sawyer Squeeze backup. Maybe a few packs to tabs. That said have at least a gallon of water per person per day for a week. Remember water is kinda near number one.

2) Electricity - Or batteries and battery backups. I used to have a large group of back ups. But they've since shit the bed. I do have a simple 10 cell AA and AAA charger for my Tenergy AA bats. But I need more batteries. Would definitely put in a battery bank solar unit once we move. For now I just need to widen my bat collections and chargers.

Eneloops and USB powerbank. This way you can solar store energy and use that to charge the batteries or whatever later on. Pre charge them before the shit hits the fan.
Remember most NiMH charge at 1/4 Amp. A USB powerbank can potentially take a 2 Amp charge though most likely 1A from solar. Still even with the conversion loss you will be ahead of the game charging a powerbank first if possible. That said a Goal Zero Guide 10 plus is kinda nice though it's fastest rate is around 0.8 Amps.

3) Flashlights - That run on AA. I currently have two Fenix E21's. I like them a lot. I'd like to get more but maybe of a different variety - same brand. Maybe a weapon light that could double as just a flashlight. I was looking at the Fenix tactical lights. I think I found one in the $70 range. With charger and bats. But few run on AA's. I'm just trying to stay standard. Even my portable solar charger is set up for AA and AAA. Suggestions? Are lithium bats necessary with flashlights? I don't need to light up a stadium. More concerned with standard bat and bat life.

Get headlamps running off the same battery as your flashlight. Headlamps are so much more useful when actually doing something than a flashlight. I always pack a headlamp with flashlight backup. Armytek Tiara A1 or Fenix HL50 are my preferred in 1XAA. Also single celled flashlights and headlamps are nice as you don't need to worry about mixing batteries etc etc. Lithium primaries work better in higher drain device. Never use load alkaline batteries inside devices then pack um away. I have lost kit because of leaks. Lithium primaries can last a decade and not leak. Eneloops can hold a charge for years and be charged 1000 times. I think Eneloops are also good in high drain devices.

4) Food - We have a limited pantry. But no survival food. I've researched them before. And am thinking #10 cans of the mormon stuff. But would probably put together something more varied. I also need to stock up on dog food. Suggestions on long term food storage?

Have you considered getting some 10 or 20 lb bags of long grain rice to supplement whatever yea got?

5) Firearms/Ammo - I'm doubling down on this right now. In the middle of building 3 AKs for home defense and bugging out. And I purchased a new AR AP4 with chromelined barrel this summer. But I need more ammo. And Glocks in 9mm. And ammo. I was thinking about a shotgun. But I wouldn't take a shotgun with me over an AK type weapon. and I want to standardize to two main calibers or maybe three 7.62, 9mm and .22lr. I have one 22lr pistol. But would like to add more of a target type 22 pistol. For taking small game. I used to have a Colt Woodsman in 22lr. It was an old one too. In perfect condition. Wish I had never given it away to my grandfather. But he gave it to me in the first place. Open to suggestions in this area. But pretty set decision wise. The AR is really more of an investment. But I have a large cache of ammo for it. And I think if we can't find 7.62 later we will for sure be able to find 5.56.

I have a Colt AR-15 Carbine and Gen 2 Glock 19 in my kit. Though have many firearms to pick from.

6) Fire/Heat - Heat isn't such a big deal here in Socal. But will change when I move north. So for now I'm just going to deal with fire and cooking items. I should probably pick up a barbecue with a burner. Over a camp stove. But then again if we bug out with the vehicle. A stove might be nice. I of course have firesteels for bugging out. But could probably use a couple more large ones for the rest of the family.

Solo stove Campfire might be nice for a family. Also don't forget the Bic lighter in addition to the ferro rod. Or try one of those cheap eBay wood gas stoves.

7) Tools - I've got standard tools pretty covered. I have a giant 6ft toolbox on wheels. Like a commercial one. I also have enough cutting tools. I don't have an axe. I really want a Husqvarna Forest Axe.

Sounds good.

8) Sleep systems - I think we have this covered with blankets and literal usgi sleeping bags. We also have really nice down bags for bugging out and hiking. But those really won't work until we get up north. to warm for socal.

Don't forget the closed cell ground pads.

9) Fuel storage - I need some 5gal gas cans for my garage and taking on my SUV. Where? How much? I should probably consider cooking fuel. Like propane takes and backups.

If you get the cheap wood gas stove a bag of wood pellets would run it for a long long long long time.

10) What am I forgetting?

Please feel free to educate me. I have not spent much time at all thinking about bugging in. As we've always been on the verge of moving north to a better bug in state. I'd love to send up with a laundry list of items I can put into an agenda. And start buying accordingly.

Clothing is your first line of defense against exposure. Even a space walk can be comfortable with the right clothing. I would have some good outdoors options for your environment for each person. Same for footwear.

I have a headlamp. And my two flashlights run on AA's. I'm definitely going to look at that Fenix you posted. My fav brand. What's a good mid range headlamp that runs on AA's? I've got a nice one but it runs like $32 IIRC. Oh. Just saw that the Fenix you recommend is a headlamp. Solves that! Thank you!

I've also got wood gas stoves. But not a big one for like a family. good idea.

If were bugging in why the need for foam pads? We've got beds. Just curious. I have enough pads for the bug out.

I've got lots of bic lighters in my bug out bag. But not a lot around the house. Good call.

I've got lots of rifles and pistols. Although the Glock 19 is at the top of my list to buy. I have a Glock 32 - .357 sig. Several AK's to choose from and an AR15.

I have a sawyer mini and squeeze. But not a total gravity system. Got any links to connectors and bags and such?

I don't buy lithium AAs as they get lost so easy around the house. I normally use Tenergy 2600mah AA Nimh's. Not to expensive. And I can afford to have people around the house lose them. I swear their like socks. They disappear all the time. Any other argument for lithium? I just bought 24 Tenergy's for $35.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:
I have a headlamp. And my two flashlights run on AA's. I'm definitely going to look at that Fenix you posted. My fav brand. What's a good mid range headlamp that runs on AA's? I've got a nice one but it runs like $32 IIRC. Oh. Just saw that the Fenix you recommend is a headlamp. Solves that! Thank you!

I have a St. Minimus. Expensive. Worth every penny, but it runs on CR123's.

moab wrote:
Although the Glock 19 is at the top of my list to buy.

My G19 is always within reach. Excellent sidearm!

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 pm 

Wow WW. That Armytek Tiara A1 is quite a light. Just reading the specs in the manual. I like that it has such a minimal light setting that it will run for 80 days. That's very very interesting. The human eye can get used to very little light. I think you did a review of this light too. So which one do you pic between the two? Say for bugging out.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
moab wrote:

I have a St. Minimus. Expensive. Worth every penny, but it runs on CR123's.

moab wrote:
Although the Glock 19 is at the top of my list to buy.

My G19 is always within reach. Excellent sidearm!

I'll check that St. Minimus out.

Check out that Armytek Tiara A1. And the Fenix HL50. I really try hard to keep all my electronics to AA's. Even my emergency radio, gps, two way radios, scanner (If I took it.), any and everything actually can run on AA's. Where I can slip in a more powerful battery I would of course. But for a bug out or inch I just like the idea of being able to use the most common battery available. Even if I lose mine. Or they go bad. I can always find alkaline AA's. If not some rechargeables. But maybe I'm being to resistant to change. IDK. I've just never liked having to find special batteries that I can't just buy anywhere. Again, maybe that's possible now with CR123's(?). IDK. I could be behind the D power curve here. lol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:59 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

The Tiara is AA or 14500 lithium ion compatible. Runs really good on lithium ion or LSD NiMH AAs. Alkalines will work but odds are the draw will be too much on the higher turbo mode for that chemistry to handle.

Take a look how useful they are. Tonight I did a short jog.

Ran into this little burrowing owl.

Got a coconut.

The light spotted this ground leech thing.

The garage light was off so....

Coconut snack.

No lights outside so used mine.

Ceiling bounced off the cage, most of the screen is gone and some of the supports but this corner by the hot tub is mostly there. Thanks Irma....

Shower. Ceiling bounce off the floor and wall.

Old NiMH charger. Not mine but almost everyone has at least one and I was traveling UL. Charged the duraloops just fine.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:21 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

moab wrote:
Wow WW. That Armytek Tiara A1 is quite a light. Just reading the specs in the manual. I like that it has such a minimal light setting that it will run for 80 days. That's very very interesting. The human eye can get used to very little light. I think you did a review of this light too. So which one do you pic between the two? Say for bugging out.

This is a hard one. Both are well made and tough though the AT has higher drop and submersion rating but is more complex so that has inherent risks. Both can be had in NW (more natural tint). The HL50 has more throw (but also some flood). However the Tiara optic has what I consider the perfect headlamp beam profile and it's raw power can still light up things at distance. The Tiara has many more mode options. The Tiara can be locked out with a twist of the tail cap and comes in Pro and standard versions.

https://www.armytek.com/products/flashl ... ra-a1-pro/

https://www.armytek.com/products/flashl ... -tiara-a1/

The HL50 has no lock out feature but can run both 1XAA and 1XCR123. The Tiara has lithium ion support. I like them both but find myself using the Tiara more. I don't think you can go wrong either way for 1XAA.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 am 

https://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/10-s ... y-kit.html

Pretty cool, I've got a couple. Just needs daylight to charge, and provides decent light

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:54 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

tony d tiger wrote:
https://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/10-solar-led-lantern-your-emergency-kit.html

Pretty cool, I've got a couple. Just needs daylight to charge, and provides decent light

I have a Luci lantern; the smaller, lower output model. It's a fantastic product for bug out bags or long distance trekking. But as a bug in area light, it's a bit limited in terms of output. I ended up using it as a bathroom light.

I also have every one of these lanterns and was used them all at various points during the recent, multi day power outage.

This is the one lighting option that did not perform well for me. I'm trying to get away from alkaline disposable batteries, especially the larger D cells. But this lantern just didn't want to play nice with the "D" format adapters for my AA Eneloops:

And yes, I know I appear to have a bit of an LED lantern addiction. But if you count the number of regular lights you have on at any one time each night, it's not really that excessive. You just have to have a sufficient battery supply to feed them. And for a long term scenario, a way to recharge all those batteries.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:04 pm 

Throw a flashlight in a clear or opaque dry bag and you've got the same thing. Just sayin. I don't have room for anything else. lol.