Best 5gal water container? Best price?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Best 5gal water container? Best price?

Post by moab » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Is this the best 5gal water container?

http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx ... mID=600409
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Best 5gal water container? Best price?

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:07 pm

I used to see these cans all the time, and people used to sell them for $5 - $10. Ever since I had that thought, and posted here that they are easily available, I have not been able to find a single one for sale at a farm sale or flea market. More people might be preppin'? As far as comparing prices online, that seems a good deal and especially if you live any where near one of the distribution centers. I have half a dozen stored under a workbench for when I need them. I also stop every water service person I see doing deliveries and ask them if I can buy one of their empty bottles. They always say no and then hand me one. You know what I speak of - the bottles that get turned up side down in some office centers- and can probably find them easily. (Only $16.94 at Walmart online today). They are bulky but are easily filled and sealed in an emergency. They also make a nice way to bet teenagers that they cannot fill them up with pocket change before HS graduation. Bet them $50 that they cannot fill it up before graduation and soon enough they are taking a portion (the old part of what you earn is yours to keep rule) of their hard earned dollars and buying up rolls of quarters and such to fill that sucker up. So they win the bet and learn the rule at the same time. Washing thoroughly and treating water may need to be completed, of course.

So, the price you list seems the best price online. I will continue to keep my eye out for more used items.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:33 am

Different parking lot, different truck. Asked nicely and received another free bottle.
Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:39 am

Moab, if you live in the city and cannot run down a handful of these I would be surprised. Caps can be found in many stores but cellophane packing tape would work as well in a pinch for limited storing. Seriously, if you can't find one in the next month or so let me know and I will mail you one for free. S/F.
Henry David Thoreau

Gunwriter
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Ash in it....

Post by Gunwriter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Here's another option
These are brand new and made in Europe and are being blown out for $9.99
They are available in blue
http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/plastic-j ... e-plastic/

and green
http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/plastic-j ... n-plastic/

They are not as bombproof as what is in the OP, but have given no problems over the last
four years using them on the farm. I bought a pallet of military surplus water cans like in the
OP and a half dozen of the Ohio Prep ones and use both. Looks like they are sold out of the
smaller 10 liters, but they still have the 5 liters as well as the 20 liters.

moab

Post by moab » Sat May 19, 2018 6:57 pm

SO I waited around and that site ran out of these 5 gallon water cans. Any other sources?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat May 19, 2018 11:31 pm

moab wrote:SO I waited around and that site ran out of these 5 gallon water cans. Any other sources?
I had the same scare when I was buying some LCIs, they come back in stock if you are patient.

I have two MWCs and am glad I do, but likely won't get anymore. For long term durability I like them a lot, and I like that the vent is more secure then most jugs. Some of the options to pressurize them with aftermarket caps looks handy as well. Mine do drip a tiny bit which is annoying, but I wouldn't call it a leak. I consider The MWCs the foundation of my water preps, but not the bulk.

I have several Reliance jugs that are a fraction of the price and also hold water, but I wouldn't trust them strapped to the outside of a vehicle like the MWCs and the caps habitually crack. I wonder if the smaller cans with the smaller diameter caps are more durable and less prone to cracks and leaks, the Desert Patrol cans are particularly appealing. The vent is a bit of a weak point, and tends to pop out.

For smaller sized water containers waterbrick is high on my list, but for 5 gallon cans LCI and Reliance seem to be the main players.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
moab wrote:SO I waited around and that site ran out of these 5 gallon water cans. Any other sources?
I had the same scare when I was buying some LCIs, they come back in stock if you are patient.

I have two MWCs and am glad I do, but likely won't get anymore. For long term durability I like them a lot, and I like that the vent is more secure then most jugs. Some of the options to pressurize them with aftermarket caps looks handy as well. Mine do drip a tiny bit which is annoying, but I wouldn't call it a leak. I consider The MWCs the foundation of my water preps, but not the bulk.

I have several Reliance jugs that are a fraction of the price and also hold water, but I wouldn't trust them strapped to the outside of a vehicle like the MWCs and the caps habitually crack. I wonder if the smaller cans with the smaller diameter caps are more durable and less prone to cracks and leaks, the Desert Patrol cans are particularly appealing. The vent is a bit of a weak point, and tends to pop out.

For smaller sized water containers waterbrick is high on my list, but for 5 gallon cans LCI and Reliance seem to be the main players.

I found these:

https://kpaulindustrial.com/abilityone- ... astic.html

http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/plastic-j ... n-plastic/

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun May 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Hot dang, OD green MWCs! kinda tempted, would love to have different colors for dirty or grey water that didn't scratch off like spray paint, bookmarked for later.

AK, Glock, Pie.

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 pm

The kpaulindustrial link that was posted has $5.99 shipping as well. I have 2 of the Scepter cans, tempted to buy the Ability need can to compare...
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 pm

uncleben03 wrote:I have 2 of the Scepter cans, tempted to buy the Ability need can to compare...

By every online review I've read and from looking at screpters in stores they are indistinguishable.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”