It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:22 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Ultimate Survival Technologies 5-In-1 Survival Tool. Walmart Survival. 1.97 at Walmart!!!!!

CSR (Cost to Survival Ratio) "Solid 7" out of 10. Ultimate Survival Technologies 5-In-1 Survival Tool. Walmart Survival. Field tested on the AT! This tool includes a whistle, ferro rod, waterproof match holder (but no matches), liquid filled compass and signalling mirror.

Before going over in detail the functions we had a debate as to our direction on the trail.
Time to open the package.

The liquid filled compass worked. Matched the one on my phone just fine.

We made it to camp thanks in part to the compass.... sorta.... well not really but it worked! I am ready for survival under my hammock's rainfly!

Lets review the 5 functions.

1. Liquid filled compass was already tested.

2. Match holder.

3. Whistle on the bottom.

4. Ferro rod. Same very very small size as the 99 cent match holder.

5. Signal mirror. Very reflective but very small.

Time to put the remaining 4 not tested functions to the survival test. The match holder doesn't come with matches. This was controversial with the testing team. This is a case in which not reading directions could bite a person in the back side. I added Coleman waterproof matches to test the water resistance of the case. The survival tool comes with a break away which was the pretext for first dropping it in water. The second drop was because of frog slime. No frogs were harmed during the filming.

Reaching for the matches which have been dropped multiple times in the water then allowed to slowly drift down stream.

I got the matches out easily. They seemed bone dry.

The paper match striker got caught on an internal lip. My advice is to fold that into a V or put it within the matches rather than up against the plastic wall. Got it but if my hands were cold it could of been a problem. The matches easily ignited as the case worked.

I gathered some tinder to test the ferro rod. In the end this was combined with stuff from a FAK.

The size and position of the ferro rod was challenging however worked.

But worked even better with packed tinder. In this case cotton balls and PJ. I used a WCF PSK knife seen with the 5&1 hanging off my neck to spark the rod. It nearly always rubbed against the plastic body of the survival tool.

It works but my advice is to put matches in the case for firecraft.

The whistle was tested by giving it to a friend along with a headlamp I knew wouldn't work. The instructions were to stay on the trail then blow the whistle after a few minutes. It was loud enough to do the job.

Testing the signal mirror using the two finger targeting method. It seemed effective.

We also did a few drop tests which the tool past though keep in mind it's 1.97 of China's best plastic....for under 2 bucks. The CSR or Cost to Survival Ratio is a strong 7. We felt if they included matches and maybe a bit longer ferro rod for say an extra dollar there is a potential 9. I really liked the bright color and breakaway feature on the lanyard cord. Here is a video and thanks for looking.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:03 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I like what you are doing. In an age where nearly everyone can get a 10 digit grid reading from their smart phone people often are not taught the meaning of "True North." In much the same way there is a tendency in online forums for nothing but the very best, trendy, expensive item to suffice. What attracted me to the entire "zombie" craze was that it seemed to move more people into focusing more on the basics they truly need for survival, like living outdoors or when you leave home for 6 months or more at a time and can only carry two bags. Being prepared does not mean you have to have the best stuff, only the know how and the right stuff. Good job.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am 

Great fun to read, as always.

Thanks for your time for the review.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:29 am 

I think this is like the first Wilderness Survival item I ever got, along with a Victorinox Classic. Though I don't think I ever put matches in it, I seem to remember keeping a lighter and some dryer lint in it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have a few of these, but I prefer the straight up match holders for most of my needs. The greater girth of the match holder lets me fit matches and chemical firestarters inside (I couldn't with the 5-in-1). That said, this is great for redundancy and like I said, I do have several stashed in kits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Walmart Survival Tool for under $2. I am beginning to admire your review more and more for both its simplicity and for opening the door to explore for more people just beginning to set aside their handheld computers long enough to go outside.

Recently, I was contacted by an old friend that I had not spoken to for years. He had gone on a camping trip with me and bunch of other people while in school and after we were graduated he went to work with financials and I went back to an infantry battalion. So, after formalities he says that with all of the disasters in the world and unease, he and his spouse were looking to do a "little survival training." I wanted to tell him that they were actually doing it every day already but he wanted to talk about equipment. He told me that his wife had found a 3 day backpack that would allow each of them to be better prepared and asked me what I thought of it. I took a look.

The SEVENTY2

Nifty. I mentioned to him that there were dozens of great forums online to read equipment reviews and suggestions on survival techniques and that there was no panacea, or best one answer for any difficulties that arise. I was polite. I wanted to tell him about the Walmart 5-in-1.