It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:41 pm 

From an email I got this morning:

"Dear Friends:

We still have a lot of camo netting, paracord, blankets, uniform tops in multicam, etc and much more. Everything in store is 70% off until closing.

Barre Army Navy Store's online site is closed. Barre Army Navy's physical store is open 9-5 M-F until 10/31/2017. No online or mail orders!

The big question has been why are we closing. In a nutshell we have lasted an extra 20 years because of the internet and our ability to reach beyond our physical area to sell products. Over the last few years that ability has been curtailed by larger companies to the point where the only way to be seen is to pay for that opportunity. We can no longer afford to do that. We feel that we are going out with our heads held high. We've paid our creditors and taken care of our customers with no thought to the cost. We've won the war we are going home...

Thanks once again to all of you who have supported us over the years!

Sincerely,

Steve and Bill B"

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:25 pm 

I absolutely hate seeing small shops go down like this. They often had things that you couldn't find online (or very easily) and for prices that were hard to beat.

Here in WA there are only a couple stores that are still open that do military surplus both are downtown. I cannot see them surviving long selling just those items with how Seattle's rent is skyrocketing.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:53 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Halfapint wrote:
I absolutely hate seeing small shops go down like this.

It's happening everywhere. This truly is TEOT[retail]WAWKI. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:59 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
I absolutely hate seeing small shops go down like this. They often had things that you couldn't find online (or very easily) and for prices that were hard to beat.

Here in WA there are only a couple stores that are still open that do military surplus both are downtown. I cannot see them surviving long selling just those items with how Seattle's rent is skyrocketing.

Back in the day I used to work at that Army Navy Surplus on second avenue downtown. And lived a block away. Sweet times. :) Is it still there?

They owned the building. The brothers. Their father had survived the holocaust and bought the building shortly after WWII. But they owned vast real estate holdings. But seemed to stick with the surplus store as their center of operations. I was right out of the Corps. So it was a great job. Loved digging thru the upper floor of that place. It was massive.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:51 pm 

I just moved to the front range of Colorado, I made a point of tracking down every army surplus store within an hour of my new home. Every single one now pretty much sells work wear and cheap imported knockoffs, usually with a tiny corner of whatever surplus they couldn't get rid of from the old days. The largest army surplus selection seems to be in a sweet chain of farm and ranch stores oddly enough.

For whatever reason the Salt Lake area is one of the last hold outs, I visited 5+ legit, old school pure surplus stores last time I was out there.

The online surplus market is as good as it has every been, but sadly the brick and mortar surplus days are well behind us, and of course the retail apocalypse is a very real and happening thing. Last trade show I went to basically said "if you have 10 stores, close 5 of them. If you have 3 stores close 2 of them."

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:08 pm 

I'm not sure how much it relates to the national view, however a part of it is a change in how surplus is disposed.
in the last few years the process for non profits and municipalities to obtain surplus has gotten easier. I frequently travel to the two federal warehouses in Texas for both my day job with the City as well as for my VFD. what used to be an onerous process with lots of compliance hoops to jump through is now as easy as Wal-Mart (except vehicles).
This is diverting a lot of good material away from gsa auctions - which means it never makes it to the traditional surplus stores.