Ballin on a Budget Bag... Gimme ideas

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Ballin on a Budget Bag... Gimme ideas

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Well... since my new bag has velcro, and I want people to think my tactical bag isn't dangerous, I decided to add some personal touches in the name of morale patches.

Hopefully these two will let me bypass any TSA lines and walk right onto the plane without a hitch...

They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:45 am

Classic movie!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

jdev

Post by jdev » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:21 pm

I've used this LAPG bag (https://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-opera ... kpack.html) as a daily work bag, and was less than impressed. The seams started becoming unstitched on relatively moderate loads (under 20lbs), and the internal organizer panel in particular just came apart. This was after a few months of use carrying my lunch and a duty belt (corrections--belt had cuffs, key keepers, chain to retain keys, radio case, a Mk4 can of OC, and a glove/CPR mask pouch), and a few other things (notebooks, a book or two, etc).

If you're cool going the milsurp route, the MOLLE 4000 bags (test item airborne rucks) are pretty decent. Same frame as the new USMC packs, smaller than the full size Large MOLLE ruck, larger than the medium ruck. Very well built item, though it's a bit light on organization (large main pocket, smaller bit still good size front zipper pocket, and an ALICE-style map pocket in the lid). They're bouncing around surplus stores and on eBay right now.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:09 am

Any update on those packs?
Still loving it?
Any wear and tear yet?

finally looking to buy a pair for wife and I.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:00 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:Any update on those packs?
Still loving it?
Any wear and tear yet?

finally looking to buy a pair for wife and I.
So far I love the Atlas pack. Zero wear or issues after using everyday for about a month in airports and hospitals. Still looks 100% brand new. It actually still has the new pack smell... which makes me think its leaching carcinogens into the air 24/7 hahahaha.

Only think I don't like about it is that it is heavy (but again, it's a very rugged pack). I would say it holds a decent amount of gear for its size, but I will say that my Oakley pack (now a discontinued model) was kinda magic where it always held more than I thought it could but the LAPG Atlas holds as much as you would expect. But that's me being nitpicky.

I would say that this bag is clearly worth 2-3x what I paid for it.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:25 pm

Thanks for the update JC. Im looking on LAPG for a new pack. Mine will be a BOB but I dont plan on overpacking. Plus my wife and I will each have one to distribute weight
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Well... since my new bag has velcro, and I want people to think my tactical bag isn't dangerous, I decided to add some personal touches in the name of morale patches.

Hopefully these two will let me bypass any TSA lines and walk right onto the plane without a hitch...

Well played. My buddy has a Hello Kitty SW Stormtrooper morale patch on his otherwise-sinister-looking tactical messenger bag. There's a tiny, insecure part of me that can't quite muster the nerve to do something like that. But my hat is sincerely off to both of you for having the verve to pull that off.

w3rdtoyamama

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:01 am

I think imma do the 3 day pack 2.0
Foor $40, seems like a great deal. gonna redo my whole BOB, which was main purpose to get a new bag.

for that price, seems like a no brainer. Now..molle attachments... :D

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri May 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Update after about a half year...

Atlas pack is still brand new looking after using it everyday to haul heavy gear (books, laptops, gear, etc.).

One thing to note, as a day-to-day bag, it's great.

As a BOB or backpacking and camping bag, it sucks. The straps are not comfy and it doesn't distribute weight correctly. The last two weeks I've been using it to haul about 30 pounds of books and electronics, and after a 1/4 mile walk, between buildings, it hurts my back and shoulders.

So to reiterate, I love the Atlas, but the 3 day pack is much more comfy for vacations or hiking or camping.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”