It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:52 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm in the market for a new backpack. I'm also poor.

What does the ZS nation suggest for a good value for money pack? Uses: travel, hiking, hunting, maybe school/work. I'm hard on my gear sometimes too.

I'm leaving it vague as I'm shopping for ideas

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 am 

Will it be used for looting in cities that are headlined in the news for months?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:12 am 

Alice pack? are they still cheap over there?

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:02 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I'm a fan of 5-11 Rush series of backpacks. A little on the pricey side, but very flexible in function and very durable. The 24 might be a good size for your listed applications.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:06 am 

Do you Amazon? I got this backpack (https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-NC1504157R1-Travel-Laptop-Backpack/dp/B011J4BPWC) for my wife's work bag a few months back, and we liked it so much that I replaced my own tattered laptop bag with the same just a few weeks ago. It is a little above-average fit/finish wise, with oversized zippers (which hopefully means they'll resist splitting later in life), decent padding in all the electronics sleeves, and an abundance of pockets and interior organization. I fit two laptops and all my clothes in it, for a 3 day work trip last week, replacing what had been two separate laptop bags and luggage.

I like the AmazonBasics brand (it is sort of the house-brand of Amazon), since they are able to use all the feedback from reviews on other products, and their supplier/logistics resources to come up with solid, no-frills products, and at a good price. I have an office chair from them too, and an eye on some of their other products. The linked backpack above is probably one of their fanciest, but they also have a whole line of basic school-type backpacks (e.g. https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-ZH1508073A-Classic-Backpack-Red/dp/B013TGF45M) and even hiking daypacks (https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultralight-Packable-Day-Pack/dp/B01AIVT2AE, cheaper than "classic backpack"?). Though I can't personally vouch for the other backpacks in their line, they all get solid reviews, and look decent in specifications and pictures.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Last edited by JayceSlayn on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Oh. What's your budget?

I'd also suggest some of the LA Police Gear stuff. I haven't used the backpacks, but I've got some of their other stuff and it has been quality for the cost.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:28 am 

Cheap, durable, lite, choose 2. :)

Camping hunting commuting = likely very different size needs, 50 liter + week long pack is often too big for under seat carry on / work / school commute. Light sub 32 liter day pack isn't going to let you camp for 4 day weekends unless you got high end UL gear. :)

1) large alice pack + belt LBE suspenders = cheapest complete camping hunting bugout solution. Nope, not as good for commuting, work WILL look at you funny with an alice pack and suspenders. :) Pack alone does not put the weight on your hips (that's what the LBE is for). $25 to $50

2) Molle ii = very nice camping pack, I like it better than alice, $50 to $100 depending on condition

3) ILBE = modern excellent suspension, like a higher end civy pack, $75 to $150 depending on quality. Won't get a good suspension civy pack near this price. Heavy for a pack alone.

None of the above large obvious military packs are very good for school / work commuting. :) For straight up beginners on a budget, doing long weekend to week camping trips, grab the Molle ii and go camping. Weekends only extreme budget, get an alice. $50 get a used pack, use your money for other gear if you're just starting out.

4) Cheap daypack, good for commuting, get home bag, I'll second amazon, often amazon basics, can find decent cheap bags there.

5) Kelty redwing, good multipurpose packs. 32 and 44 are easy carry on airplanes, 50 is if you don't over load it. 32 liter can be an easy commute bag, 44 is a little big but also OK for weekends. These both open all the way (good for airplane packing) or top load. Not a great suspension, but great "do a bunch of things" packs. Not as durable (or heavy) as military surplus, but, more durable / suitable for plane travel than many other civy packs. $100 ish range on sale. I don't like the suspension or size for week+, but OK for weekend camping.

GL!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:45 am 

I just got a nice Swiss Gear pack, a rather durable one (they have lower end ones too) for $25 at TJMaxx. About the size of the Alice main compartment without pockets. If you have one near by it may be worth taking a peek.

You might pick up an Alice for $50 and a Swiss Gear for $25. Just a thought.

Remember, two is one...And all that...

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:00 am 

none1 wrote:
Cheap, durable, lite, choose 2. :)

Camping hunting commuting = likely very different size needs, 50 liter + week long pack is often too big for under seat carry on / work / school commute. Light sub 32 liter day pack isn't going to let you camp for 4 day weekends unless you got high end UL gear. :)

1) large alice pack + belt LBE suspenders = cheapest complete camping hunting bugout solution. Nope, not as good for commuting, work WILL look at you funny with an alice pack and suspenders. :) Pack alone does not put the weight on your hips (that's what the LBE is for). $25 to $50

2) Molle ii = very nice camping pack, I like it better than alice, $50 to $100 depending on condition

3) ILBE = modern excellent suspension, like a higher end civy pack, $75 to $150 depending on quality. Won't get a good suspension civy pack near this price. Heavy for a pack alone.

None of the above large obvious military packs are very good for school / work commuting. :) For straight up beginners on a budget, doing long weekend to week camping trips, grab the Molle ii and go camping. Weekends only extreme budget, get an alice. $50 get a used pack, use your money for other gear if you're just starting out.

4) Cheap daypack, good for commuting, get home bag, I'll second amazon, often amazon basics, can find decent cheap bags there.

5) Kelty redwing, good multipurpose packs. 32 and 44 are easy carry on airplanes, 50 is if you don't over load it. 32 liter can be an easy commute bag, 44 is a little big but also OK for weekends. These both open all the way (good for airplane packing) or top load. Not a great suspension, but great "do a bunch of things" packs. Not as durable (or heavy) as military surplus, but, more durable / suitable for plane travel than many other civy packs. $100 ish range on sale. I don't like the suspension or size for week+, but OK for weekend camping.

GL!

#2 <----------- That's my GHB. Picked it up at a local surplus store for $25. It's used but in very good shape. The selling point though was that it had the soldiers name still on the back. Stenker.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:34 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Osprey and Gregory make great lines of backpacks, excellent value at reasonable prices. get 'em at REI when there's a 25-40% sale.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Beowolf wrote:
I'm a fan of 5-11 Rush series of backpacks. A little on the pricey side, but very flexible in function and very durable. The 24 might be a good size for your listed applications.

Was going to be my suggestion as well. I got one for sub-$80 after looking for a deal for around a week... If you can wait, I'll bet you can get one on black friday/cyber monday for a palatable price.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Buy once, cry once. Don't know what your budget is, but a $100 bag that last you for more than five years is a good deal.
I like the GGG Stealth Operator (I hate the name though, too tactical). $109
https://greyghostgear.com/collections/b ... rator-pack

There's also the Dark Angel Medical variation that has a bottom pocket added $130
http://darkangelmedical.com/adventure-a ... pack-only/

I've had my GGG bag for over a year, still looks new. Carries all of my EDC and overnight crap with no issues.

Prices could drop lower than that for Black Friday and what not if you're patient.

Edit: I did the budget bags, LAPG and stuff, for awhile. But I haven't looked back since I bought a good US made pack.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm 

I'm low budget right now and I'm not interested in tactical/MOLLE gear, which would look excessively mall ninja on me. Honestly, I'm planning on hitting Goodwill to see what's there for a BOB.

Immediate goal is just to get camp stove, flashlights, shelter, radio, water treatment, etc in a single known location, though, instead of scattered through the house and garage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ILBE - Improved Load Bearing Equipment - Well broken in. $18.00
http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/usmc-ilbe-marpat-main-pack-woodland-camo-grade-3/
May give the mall ninja impression or hunter dress up look but for the price it is better than you would find when GoodWill hunting...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 am 

Asymetryczna wrote:
ILBE - Improved Load Bearing Equipment - Well broken in. $18.00
http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/usmc-ilbe-marpat-main-pack-woodland-camo-grade-3/
May give the mall ninja impression or hunter dress up look but for the price it is better than you would find when GoodWill hunting...

Mall ninja look is not a bad thing, it's practically grey man in that no one takes you serious.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:25 pm 

What about thrift stores? I've often found good bags for under $10.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:59 am 

I've been using the 5.11 Rush 24 as my BOB, with a MOAB 6 as my EDC. They integrate together so I don't have to duplicate gear in my EDC and BOB; you can attach the MOAB 6 to the Rush 24 with a few buckles. It also has MOLLE on the bottom so you can attach your sleeping system. (There are tacticool ways to do this but I just use bungees.) A few of the other guys in my group use Maxpedition backpacks and they seem to work well and be around the same price.

I paid about 150 for both. It's not a "cadillac" bug out bag like the Eberlstock or the Kifaru, but it has served me well for a couple of years now.

If that's above your budget, you are looking at Milsurp. Former East German/Czech milsurp bags are often available for as little as 20 bucks at your local military surplus store and they are tough enough for field use, but you're sacrificing a lot of comfort and convenience. US military surplus is generally better, and often not much pricier. But basically, if you want a low, LOW end budget bag, you have to go milsurp if you want "bombproof" gear, meaning gear that is tough enough for field use.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:54 pm 

lapg

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:20 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

moab wrote:
lapg

Agreed! Also a good option. Some great affordable gear there.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:15 pm 

Look in the phone book for local military surplus stores. You can geat a cheap Alice pack or even a Molle (sp?)

2nd option- make your own. Canvas is cheap, rivets,needle, and thread are cheap. I assume you have scissors and a measuring tape. You could build a custom pack fit for you with the features you want. It's really easy if you have a sowing machine or know someone who does. Just remember to double stitch not single stitch. You can find sewing plans online. It would be a fun project.
Sowing machines aren't all that expensive used either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 pm 

If you want to accept the risk, I ended up buying a $21 60L hiking backpack on Amazon. I'm reasonably happy with what I got. It had one pocket with an internal seam that wasn't properly encased, which I fixed by hand. It probably isn't adequate for a through-hike, but it seems completely adequate for a go bag or for packing for a short trip. A bit too big for carry-on luggage if you pack it full -- I'll bet it'd be fine if it can be squished into the correct space, though, and I fly so infrequently that that wasn't a serious consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Vallyn wrote:
If you want to accept the risk, I ended up buying a $21 60L hiking backpack on Amazon. I'm reasonably happy with what I got. It had one pocket with an internal seam that wasn't properly encased, which I fixed by hand. It probably isn't adequate for a through-hike, but it seems completely adequate for a go bag or for packing for a short trip. A bit too big for carry-on luggage if you pack it full -- I'll bet it'd be fine if it can be squished into the correct space, though, and I fly so infrequently that that wasn't a serious consideration.

Nice! Have a link or brand name to search for the one you purchased?

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:40 pm 

What did you decide?

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:
What did you decide?

I didn't.... hahahaha I switched back over to my beat up old Oakley pack for work/school and just decided to be gentle with the holes/broken zipper. I've been using a dry bag duffel for my outdoor needs.

It does the job, but I'm heading to Alaska Christmas day so I want something decent by then. So still nothing official.

zero11010 wrote: