It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gas masks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 pm 

So people, im thinking about buying my own gas mask(those from work are older than time and that shit is probably fucked). Anyone can give me some input about the more modern gas masks?

Im thinking about the msa CBRN and Riot Control Gas Masks
http://us.msasafety.com/Air-Purifying-R ... 1700001500

or the mestel sge 400/3bbv(or the 3as)
http://www.mestelsafety.com/protection- ... gas-masks/

I don't understand much about the masks, andhave only completed the basic trainning(riot control), so any input wouldbe appreciated, specially about the advantages and disadvantages of one over another.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Gas masks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 am 

Just curious, why a gas mask?

Other than chemical agents like tear gas or pepper spray what systems would you have in place to let you know you need the mask? Military and law enforcement have procedures and early warning systems to tell them to deploy a mask. You can't live in a gas mask long term. So I'm always curious of the added value of a gas mask when people start talking about getting one.

If someone is interested in protection from NBC (nuclear, biological or checmical) agents I would wonder what they're after action plan is for decontamination, containment, and treatment (because you will have exposure of some level, even if minimal). Not to mention in the case of an NBC attack your gear is pretty much single use.

I'm just wondering if there is something I am missing?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:48 pm 

look, im not american and work in a prison. It fuckin' hurts inhale gas(and causes a big trouble) while you are trying to not get stabbed with a sharpened spoon or toothbrush(seriously), and the masks that we have in the job are 15+ years old(some are older then me). Since im thinking in buying one to my personal use when the job asks, i thought asking to people better informed would be a good call. Also, since im spending the money, i think its a lot better to buy a product whith multiple uses(thus, my curiosity about CBRN masks).

PS: Sorry for the broken english.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

A 3m full face respirator is excellent. A wide selection of cartridges are available off the shelf. There are training in videos on their use on line @ you tube.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-68 ... 000+series

Two 3MRFR-15-CBRN cartridges are needed for NBC protection.

However, ssdtopgun is correct though. Masks without proper training including decontamination and related safety measures will be less than effective.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:21 pm 

southpaw42 wrote:

No real need to apologize. You are better than many who have spoken English from birth. Thank you for making the effort. You came here for information. I hope you get what you need. I know we often assume people are from the US and we actually have great people from other countries.

Stay safe. Good luck. Yours is not an easy job.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 pm 

southpaw42 wrote:
look, im not american and work in a prison. It fuckin' hurts inhale gas(and causes a big trouble) while you are trying to not get stabbed with a sharpened spoon or toothbrush(seriously), and the masks that we have in the job are 15+ years old(some are older then me). Since im thinking in buying one to my personal use when the job asks, i thought asking to people better informed would be a good call. Also, since im spending the money, i think its a lot better to buy a product whith multiple uses(thus, my curiosity about CBRN masks).

No worries at all, no need to apologize. Stay safe.

I spent nearly 20 years in working in American law enforcement. I know exactly what you are talking about. Many time I purchased my own equipment because I am very particular about how I care for it and its fit. I'd rather have quality gear and know it would function when I needed it. In addition, there were times there just was not enough of one particular piece of equipment to go around.

With respect to chemical agents such as tear gas, I will throw out there for those that are not aware. In an urban riot situation under many conditions the first canister that goes out is often just plain smoke. This gives law enforcement the ability to determine the wind. However, the next canister will generally follow quickly and will be actual tear gas. The department I worked with often used pepper ball guns during urban situations they can be much more targeted and offer pain compliance. The pepper balls are not just filled with the chemical agent they can hurt depending on range. We would also use die marker balls to mark instigators for easy identification in a crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 am 

Our prison is overcrowded(like 1000 guys in a space thats meant to have 450) and we have a little les than the people necessary to operate it in maximum capacity(450) in each turn, so you can all imagine how fun it is to regain control of a gallery. Normally we just have batons, but for a miracle the administrator made possible to us to finally have gas and 2 shotguns(seriously) with less lethal ammo, but the government says we already have the masks.
Normally we wouldn't have problems with the prisoners, but sometimes, because of external problems(politics), or the inmates fighting things got a little ugly and we can't always call for the "auxiliary forces".
I bought one of those cut resistant shirts to work, so im just trying to cover my needs. Legend says that in the last quarter of the year they will give trainning with the equipment for those who do not have it (the old school guys(+10y) didn't have it in basic trainning).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm 

Well it depends on cost. The surplus com block masks (and I own one) work great. Just know the Russian pact filters use asbestos..... so that's a problem, but if you need it for short term they will work.You can buy a converter link for Nato filters if you would like. Swiss, Austrian, and Israeli seem to be both cheap and not harmful. Remember most masks are for short term use, the Russian mask I own is really hot inside so I can't imagine wearing it for long. A really good mask seems to start at 300.00 and go up from there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:44 am 

Work issues Scott full face respirators (unsure on which type) for biological protection (ebola, zika etc) they are also dusted off anytime we respond to back up fire fighters at a chemical hazard.

If I might say one thing (accounting for very, very limited experiences with masks) it would be as follows.

be very careful using a personal mask at work. If your work has specific requirements, such as full face, construction etc and your personal mask doesn't meet the criteria you can't use it. if at all possible, buy a modern version of the respirator they use at work, the similar look might be enough for you to get away with it

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:59 am 

southpaw42 wrote:
Our prison is overcrowded(like 1000 guys in a space thats meant to have 450) and we have a little les than the people necessary to operate it in maximum capacity(450) in each turn, so you can all imagine how fun it is to regain control of a gallery.

So, you need military grad gas mask https://goo.gl/tu9uaC this is a NATO military SGE400 and Israeli Defense Forces spec, 40 mm filter and even an adapter for drinking tube