What I carry in my Hill People Gear Kitbag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

What I carry in my Hill People Gear Kitbag

Post by the_alias » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Trying to do a few more YT vids.
Man is a beast of prey

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: What I carry in my Hill People Gear Kitbag

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you Alias! I've been hoping we can get more stuff like this posted here to the forums. I hope to start doing some videos with the gf and I camping when we get days off together to do so. Trip reports, gear test, all the good stuff!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Awesome! I love the simplicity of the first line items.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Good review and reasoning. I've seen my Kit Bags fluctuate between my "Line 1" and almost a "Line 1.5" for gear. I've got close to 1000-backpacking miles with Kit Bags and simply love them. While the primary function is to serve as a CCW platform, you can comfortably carry a good amount of "essentials" in case you do lose your Line-3 or pack. To prove your theory about a river crossing, I've done that; swam across a river and our lake...it's in a good position for the side stroke or if you're using a floatation device.

My last loadout for a 70 mile section hike (4.5 days):

I still backpack with the Kit Bag as a stand-alone (not clipped to the pack). It stays with me up until I strip down and climb into the hammock and then it's suspended above me.

As a CCW rig, it literally goes unnoticed. I carry my map in the main compartment and most who actually notice and comment think it's a brilliant setup (of course, clueless to the handgun). I have hiked through some pretty "liberal" areas and never get a second glance; even if we head into town to pick up a resupply. As you did mention, you need to do some dynamic training on drawing if you carry a handgun. I've done several live fire drills to include drawing while on my back and both sides. Drawing from your strong (right) side is the most difficult as is drawing one handed with my weak-hand (left for me) which was a challenge as well.

I'm a huge advocate and have used them mostly for backpacking, but I've kayaked, mountain biked, rock-climbed, and even took a deuce wearing a Kit Bag :mrgreen:

ROCK6

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks for the video, Alias! The discussion about the different lines of gear was really helpful for someone newer to prepping who has no military experience. Great way to conceptualize what you carry. Also always enjoy to see how people put kits together and what they think is essential gear :)
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:19 am

ROCK6 wrote:Good review and reasoning. I've seen my Kit Bags fluctuate between my "Line 1" and almost a "Line 1.5" for gear. I've got close to 1000-backpacking miles with Kit Bags and simply love them. While the primary function is to serve as a CCW platform, you can comfortably carry a good amount of "essentials" in case you do lose your Line-3 or pack. To prove your theory about a river crossing, I've done that; swam across a river and our lake...it's in a good position for the side stroke or if you're using a floatation device.

My last loadout for a 70 mile section hike (4.5 days):

I still backpack with the Kit Bag as a stand-alone (not clipped to the pack). It stays with me up until I strip down and climb into the hammock and then it's suspended above me.

As a CCW rig, it literally goes unnoticed. I carry my map in the main compartment and most who actually notice and comment think it's a brilliant setup (of course, clueless to the handgun). I have hiked through some pretty "liberal" areas and never get a second glance; even if we head into town to pick up a resupply. As you did mention, you need to do some dynamic training on drawing if you carry a handgun. I've done several live fire drills to include drawing while on my back and both sides. Drawing from your strong (right) side is the most difficult as is drawing one handed with my weak-hand (left for me) which was a challenge as well.

I'm a huge advocate and have used them mostly for backpacking, but I've kayaked, mountain biked, rock-climbed, and even took a deuce wearing a Kit Bag :mrgreen:

ROCK6
Great stuff ROCK6 - I use mine trail running as well and cinched a bit tighter works well - I occasionally get some looks, I do have molle version though... The other thing I use it for is fishing, as a fly fisherman it's perfect to have a few flies, tippet, flloats etc in.

I did have another front pack that I really liked, it is bigger and I did use it on some mock bugouts, you can balance more gear but it would sort of get in the way if you're doing camp chores - the kitbag's small size really stops you from overloading and means it is always there with you.

A ranger I hiked with in Tasmania had a bigger front loading area as well and he was a huge fan of the balancing aspect. Never hiked with someone who could move so fast!
Man is a beast of prey

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 am

Is the bag waterproof? And is there a way to attach a holster to the gun compartment? ( I want the gun to be in the same spot every time no matter what kind of gyrations my body went through ). Are chest packs a thing now? In the early nineties I used a fanny pack holster a lot. But fanny packs were common place at that time so no one suspected it was actually a holster. ( same concept you are using with your kit bag. Usable stuff in the front compartment, rear compartment a firearm. ) The reason I ask. It screams gun to me.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:29 pm

flybynight wrote:The reason I ask. It screams gun to me.
Sure because you're a gun guy and looking for guns. Most people I jog past wearing this probably think "huh another weird piece of kit the trail runners wear here" - tbh I think it looks less ridiculous than some of the gear I've seen the trail runners wear here.
Is the bag waterproof?
As waterproof as 500D Cordura is.
And is there a way to attach a holster to the gun compartment?
There are internal loops that could be used like this if you got a bit inventive. Sort of hard to explain but in my experience the gun doesn't change position once it's in.
Are chest packs a thing now?
I don't know - I fly fish so in that community they're an essential part of kit...
Man is a beast of prey

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Always wanted one of the Hill People chest holster/E&E bags things. Nice little kit brother!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

ROCK6

Post by ROCK6 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:17 pm

flybynight wrote:Is the bag waterproof? And is there a way to attach a holster to the gun compartment? ( I want the gun to be in the same spot every time no matter what kind of gyrations my body went through ). Are chest packs a thing now? In the early nineties I used a fanny pack holster a lot. But fanny packs were common place at that time so no one suspected it was actually a holster. ( same concept you are using with your kit bag. Usable stuff in the front compartment, rear compartment a firearm. ) The reason I ask. It screams gun to me.
I'll add to the Alias' comments. There is a loop (two now?) in the very back, handgun compartment. Unless you're carrying a mouse-gun, your handgun really doesn't shift at all. I've been using the Kydex trigger guard more for retention or safety, but it does give you a little piece of mental comfort. If it's any consolation, I've taken a couple of bad spills and tumbles wearing a Kit Bag while mountain bike riding (crashing?). Zero issues and the handgun was still indexed the way I put it in there.

Chest packs have been around a long time; I used them back in the late 80's and early 90's doing a lot of fly fishing. The standard Kit Bag works perfectly for this as well and still allows you to carry your handgun.

The only person who even had an idea I was carrying concealed was another guy wearing a Kit Bag I saw earlier this year. Two other guys acknowledged the Kit Bag and knew what it was. My wife and I have run across literally hundreds of people; backpackers, dozens of teens around campfires, or hanging out near the shelters, campers, hunters, shuttle drivers, hostel owners, trail maintainers, rangers, and police. Heck, we even took a four day Leave No Trace instructor's course in the Shenandoah National Park with a dozen other people who we hiked, camped with did classes with, ate breakfast and dinner with, etc.. I pulled out a map and a Clif bar and only one person said "cool". Consider yourself in the know and in the minority for thinking "gun".

The only way it really stands out is when you're hiking through a creek and swimming across a river with just the Kit Bag; and even then, most have no idea unless you need to use it... :mrgreen:

ROCK6

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:58 am

^ The regular is so much bigger I think than the Runners one I have.

MOLLE does mean you can attach dog treats and carabiner to hold the leashes when you need your hands free...

Man is a beast of prey

ROCK6

Post by ROCK6 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:13 pm

the_alias wrote:^ The regular is so much bigger I think than the Runners one I have.

MOLLE does mean you can attach dog treats and carabiner to hold the leashes when you need your hands free...
Yeah, I have two regular Kit Bags, Snubby, Runners bag, Snubby Original (the one I use for backpacking), and recently picked up a Heavy Recon Kit Bag for rifle specific rifle training (I'm a Kit Bag addict/whore :lol: ). And yes, I've used the Kit Bag to hold the leash which works quite well!

ROCK6

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:43 pm

I've been tempted on many occasions to get the stubby, and probably will at some point but the G19 I usually carry is a hair on the large size for it.

My kit bag started out as holding all the emergency stuff that I never planned on using but wanted with me at all times, it was pretty overloaded and not all that useful. I've since moved most of that stuff elsewhere and changed it to holding all the stuff that I need access too constantly and its been lighter and far more useful. I love it for not only the obvious reasons, but also because it lets me use a much lighter backpack with practically no pockets since all my little bits are up front and organized.

I used to get collarbone bruising when wearing it with a pack for long days, but I swapped the webbing to 3" and am much happier.

As for holster indexing, some of the kit bag models have a velcro loop strip down the middle, one of them might even have a whole panel field of loop but I'm not sure. I've used adhesive hook velcro to attach a kydex holster inside one but switched to the trigger guard only kydex and just tether it to the loop at the bottom of the handgun compartment. I still use the velcro to keep a magazine from swimming around but as others have said I'm satisfied with how little the gun moves around.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

ROCK6

Post by ROCK6 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:36 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:I've been tempted on many occasions to get the stubby, and probably will at some point but the G19 I usually carry is a hair on the large size for it.
Yeah, the Snubby-sized Kit Bags are really best used with subcompact sized pistols. My Glock 19/23 will fit, but they are almost too tight and makes drawing much harder. My Original Snubby holds any of my subcompacts and smaller revolvers perfectly:

The standard Kit Bag will actually hold my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag with 5.5" barrel and every other handgun size smaller. As mentioned earlier, a small mouse gun will move around a little as I've tried it.

ROCK6

NoSeeUm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston

Post by NoSeeUm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 pm

I got the Heavy Recon kit bag for Christmas. My younger son has had the Heavy Recon bag since it was introduced. I'll be using mine while riding my Catrike Expedition to and from work during Spring, Summer, and Fall. Just ordered some molle gear to outfit it for my needs. I'll post some photos when I get it set up.

Thanks for your post and photos. Always get good ideas after seeing the ways others set their gear up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Never chase dangerous prey. Wait until it wanders into your kill zone.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”