Pelican 7600...a quick review

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

taipan821

Pelican 7600...a quick review

Post by taipan821 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:34 am

Ok, so I purchased a pelican 7600, it was available locally and suited my requirements (usb charged, powerful, good throw)

i don't have pics of it yet, but my view on it so far

Pros:
- its not fragile, already dropped it numerous times, often onto concrete and the only damage is a little scratch.
- with a max output of 944 lumens, it has that ability to instantly turn night into day, I've lit up a lounge room with it and people remarked that i found the light switch (which was broken hence the torch)
- it has a decent run time, and give you plenty of warning that its going flat, so hopefully you're not caught out in the dark
- it has a red mode and green mode, separate from the main switch
- bulb selection easy to use, stays in place during normal use
- handy pocket clip (though it would be better if I could remove it)

Cons
- I don't like using the red and green modes, they are off-centre so the light is off to one side, very distracting and bugging
- switching programmable modes could be...easier
- the alternative battery, yes this can be seen as a plus, but why CR123? I don't have anything that runs off those.
- doesn't come with accessories, the torch isn't quite pocket size, so a holster for it out of the box would be appreciated

So far, I'm liking it, it doesn't feel cheap (I paid $120 AUD for mine) and is proving to be useful, at this point in time I would give it a 7/10, now I'll use it, see how long it lasts, and how the accessories stack up (when I can find a good deal on them)
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Return to “Bug Out Gear”