Presidents Day Bug Out Weekend - 2017

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

stbob

Presidents Day Bug Out Weekend - 2017

Post by stbob » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:56 pm

Last edited by stbob on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Re: Presidents Day Bug Out Weekend - 2017

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Looks like a great trip!

now you have a bracket (55lbs=too much), any guesses on how much is "just right?" I'm always amazed at how much difference just a few pounds can make can make.

crazy creek chairs are the bomb, I take one on almost every trip now, and they work great as a backup sleeping pad. I'm on the "mo' foam=mo' betta" bandwagon, but I wonder if the chair would have been enough to leave the ridgerest at home, or used a small section with the chair instead of the whole thing.

I'm pretty convinced the small forest ax is THE perfect size, I think you will love it.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

stbob

Post by stbob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:Looks like a great trip!
now you have a bracket (55lbs=too much), any guesses on how much is "just right?" I'm always amazed at how much difference just a few pounds can make can make.
crazy creek chairs are the bomb, I take one on almost every trip now, and they work great as a backup sleeping pad. I'm on the "mo' foam=mo' betta" bandwagon, but I wonder if the chair would have been enough to leave the ridgerest at home, or used a small section with the chair instead of the whole thing.
I'm pretty convinced the small forest ax is THE perfect size, I think you will love it.
Thanks...
My "just right" pack weight is around 25/30 lbs. But i'm okay with around 40/45 lbs. A pulk sled is on next years x-mas list to help with the 55+ lb bug outs...
Could i of gotten by without the ridgerest, absolutely but once my pack weight topped 50+lbs, i didn't see much harm in adding another 14oz for the ridgerest. Although to cut down on bulk, i'm planning to cut the ridge-rest in half...
I already do love the ax. I also love the expression on peoples face when i'm asked what my plans are for the weekend and i tell them i'm looking forward to using my new axe... :lol:
Looking forward to getting out again asap. I'll be sure to post another report that includes "how i lightened my load"...

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Pulk sleds are the bee's knee's.

I went with the jet sled Jr. from Sportsman's Warehouse as it was the biggest/cheapest sled I could source locally, mostly used HPG's pulk instructions. What is your plan of attack?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 am

I been there before. Got the same tent and crazy creek chair. Nice report and photos. :D

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”