Washing a backpack?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Washing a backpack?

Post by moab » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:05 pm

I wash my sleeping bags in the washer and then put them in the dryer. Any concern with doing the same with a backpack? It's a new 5.11 RUSH 12. I just want to take some of the new stiffness out of it. I was thinking slow wash cycle and then hang dry.

PS - I kind of need it to look "used" if you know what I mean? That's my story to the wife and I'm sticking to it. lol! ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Washing a backpack?

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Only washed a pack once. Had a bottle of dr bronner open up on me on a hike home, soaked it in the tub, scrubbed out as much soap as I could, showered with it until suds stopped forming, soaked it in the tub some more and then hung to dry. It looked brand new (it wasn't worn any to begin with), but I would imagine your circumstances call for a little more agitation.

Ninja edit: you have the worst pack addiction I know of.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:24 pm

BullOnParade wrote:Only washed a pack once. Had a bottle of dr bronner open up on me on a hike home, soaked it in the tub, scrubbed out as much soap as I could, showered with it until suds stopped forming, soaked it in the tub some more and then hung to dry. It looked brand new (it wasn't worn any to begin with), but I would imagine your circumstances call for a little more agitation.

While inadvertent, this is pretty much how you wash a pack. Use a mild soap (Dr. Bonners, Woolite, or even regular dish soap). Gentle cycle in a washing machine or just bring it into the tub/shower with you a few times. Don't use regular laundry detergent as some (most?) brands will attack the polyurethane coating that's applied to the inside of the pack fabric. Air dry.

Although in moab's case, sounds like he almost needs to "unwash" his new 5.11 RUSH 12. :wink:

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Dish soap is not mild and might damage any coatings on the fabric.

My cat puked on a Jansport Big Student backpack that I used for work. I emptied the pack, washed it in cold water on delicate cycle with a little regular laundry soap (because it was a one-item load) and hung it on a drying rack overnight. The pack came out looking like new.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:47 pm

I've washed my Jansport Big Student and an ALICE pack in the washing machine with just plain water, then air dried them. It cleaned the sticky gross stuff out of them both times, but I also noticed a lot of frayed and loose threads both times. I can't remember what cycle I used, maybe it was too aggressive.

Edit: Not so many frayed or loose threads that it seriously damaged either pack, but enough to convince me this was not something I should be doing on a regular basis. The damaged threads were mostly around seams and zippers.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:12 pm

BullOnParade wrote:Only washed a pack once. Had a bottle of dr bronner open up on me on a hike home, soaked it in the tub, scrubbed out as much soap as I could, showered with it until suds stopped forming, soaked it in the tub some more and then hung to dry. It looked brand new (it wasn't worn any to begin with), but I would imagine your circumstances call for a little more agitation.

Hey. I only have 4 packs. And this will be my 5th. OK. Guilty as charged. LOL! ;) Either way it doesn't matter cause my wife thinks I have one too. Thus all the shenanigans on my part. That and a jacket addiction. My jacket addiction is WAY worse than my pack addiction though. I'm not gonna tell you how many jackets I have. I can't even count them I have so many. And some are boxed up.

I think I'll just run it thru the gentle cycle and then hang dry. No soap. Or I do have some DR. Bronners that I could use to make it smell eucalyptus. LOL!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

eugene

Post by eugene » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:36 pm

I've washed mine in the washing machine before. A front loader it will come out fine, a top loader the center tends to push it up and they can drag on the door opening then.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:04 am

Shower or tub with a soft-bristle brush and a gentle laundry soap (no bleach, no brighteners), hang to dry. Machines are hell on gear and gear is hell on machines.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:33 am

My Rush12 had a few rounds in the machine already. No complaints.

Gesendet unter mysteriösen Umständen.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:12 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Shower or tub with a soft-bristle brush and a gentle laundry soap (no bleach, no brighteners), hang to dry. Machines are hell on gear and gear is hell on machines.
Hey doc. Havent seen u in this section for awhile. :) hows it going?

Got the rush 12 yesterday. Really happy with it. The straps are quite something. Very padded. Ill do a mini review at some point.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:14 am

moab wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Shower or tub with a soft-bristle brush and a gentle laundry soap (no bleach, no brighteners), hang to dry. Machines are hell on gear and gear is hell on machines.

Got the rush 12 yesterday. Really happy with it. The straps are quite something. Very padded. Ill do a mini review at some point.
Busy. School, work, repeat.

TBH, I have often just showered with my gear after a hike. Makes it easy.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:16 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
moab wrote:

Busy. School, work, repeat.

TBH, I have often just showered with my gear after a hike. Makes it easy.
We used to shower with our m16s after long hikes in the corps. Lol. We had a friend in the motor pool with lots of compressed air. Im sure that wasnt in the manual.

Glad to hear your doing well. :)

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:24 pm

As others have stated, washing machine.
I washed my GGG Stealth Operator pack in the washing machine, half the soap I'd usually use, gentle cycle, capful of vinegar (damn cat pissed on it both times).
Came out fine, hung it up in the shower to dry overnight.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Dishwasher... I thought everybody knew that? Don't even need soap...
Grab it out before the dry cycle, and hang it out.
Tony D

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:02 pm

moab wrote:...Got the rush 12 yesterday. Really happy with it. The straps are quite something. Very padded. Ill do a mini review at some point.
Excellent choice! I really like the shoulder straps and yoke design on the RUSH series of packs.

I think you'll be happy with the 12 over the 24, for EDC purposes...

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:18 pm

For new packs, the washing machine. For my packs after they have lived in the mud for a few days during duck season or my son's catchers bag (it turns toxic after a couple of month's) I use a do it yourself carwash. The floor mat clips do a great job holding the pack up and you just brush and wash away, and I wash my truck at the same time.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

Return to “Bug Out Gear”