It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

This is an "initial thoughts" review. I've had the light for ~20 hours, and not put it through it's paces. I will update the thread with a more thorough review after labor day when I've had a chance to EDC it and take it on a MBO I'll be doing over the holiday weekend.

If you have any questions about the light functionality, I'll be happy to try to work it into the review.

I was looking for a keychain flashlight (see thread here) and settled on the ThruNite Ti3, which you can check out here. It met all the criteria I was looking for which were:
- Easy attachment to a keychain (duh)
- Some sort of belt or pocket clip
- Low and High (100 lumen+) mode (at a minimum - other modes are nice and appreciated, but not needed.)
- Ability to stay on (ie. not a button light I have to click/hold)

2nd tier features I was hoping for, but not insistent on:
- At least 100 hours battery life on low
- Ability to stand upright as a candle
- AAA Battery : Not at all a requirement, but I'm attempting to standardize my more serious lights on AAA so an investment in recharging setup pays off. If this can be standardized too, great.

I've yet to test the battery life, as the flashlight arrived yesterday, but I will certainly do a test of all three light levels for the comprehensive review.

Without further adieu...

The light arrived in a nice aluminum "altoids style" tin (cheap, but certainly a step up from cardboard) with some foam. I was quite impressed. The whole package, including the light itself, was impressively light weight.

It came with a belt clip, tiny split ring, and a slightly larger detachable ring clip (don't think I'll use it). The belt clip can easily be attached/removed as desired - not to the point of being loose fitting or a risk of falling off, though. It clips into my work pants pocket and pulls free with ease as well, again, not loose, just smooth. Bear in mind, though, that I'm wearing thin, "slick" suit pants. It may be more difficult on a thicker fabric... Then again, after doing it two or three times, I'm a little concerned that the clip may scuff or tear the pants with it's tight grip... Not a concern for me, as I won't be clipping to my pocket at work.

Having it in my pocket, I feel only a slight difference from what I usually carry. Even then, it's probably only that A) its slightly different, not better or worse, just different and B) I'm consciously thinking about it. No complaints about the size and weight.

The loop point on the light is TINY. Others had mentioned they replaced the split ring with something more substantial, but at this size, I don't see any other option. I hooked the included tiny split ring to the loop on the light, then attached the tiny split ring to my main key ring (see below). It attaches very easily, but I'll keep an eye on the tiny ring's durability to see if it needs replacing... I'm hardly going to torture it, so it might be just fine.

By holding the rest of my keychain in my palm, and the light in my thumb and forefinger, I can operate it one handed... but only in my dominant (right) hand... FWIW. With a little practice, I could probably develop the dexterity for one handed use in either hand - certainly something I will try.

Switching between light modes is easy once you get the hang of it and all three are distinctive... High is quite bright - I can cast distinct shadows across a fully lit room and easily search for/spot things in my backyard at night (handy, since my elusive tactical dachshund likes to hide out instead of coming in for bed time).

The "firefly", ultra low setting, will no doubt be a battery saver, but wasn't very good for looking at things beyond a foot or two. Reading light, looking in a bag - great. Searching for dropped keys, you'll need more. And you get more - the low mode is plenty bright for standard flashlight applications.

So far, I'm impressed and happy, exactly what I was looking for both in price ($20... looking at the page now it looks like it's only $16... CURSES!)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:48 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Looks good. I like firefly modes for some applications but more often use low or medium. Don't have that light however heard good things about the brand. Thanks for posting!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:17 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Updating this now that I've had a chance to carry it for a little over a month.

Battery Life:
Specs state that it has 30 minutes of burn time on HIGH, 6.5 hours on LOW and 115 hours on FIREFLY.
After about 2 weeks of use on various settings, I decided to just leave it on to see how much battery juice was left. I left it on HIGH in my pocket, and about 15 minutes later it started to overheat and burn my leg, so I took it out and turned it off. After an hour cool down, I turned it on LOW for about 3 hours in my desk drawer and it was still going strong. Turned it off for a few hours, then turned it on LOW again for another 2 hours and it faded to "firefly" level of light. Battery life is every bit of the advertised length thus far. For better or worse (ie. no warning), I didn't notice a slow decline in the light strength. It was going fine at the end, getting checked on about every 15 minutes. Once it was fine, next check it significantly dimmed.

EDC:
Still no complaints about the size or weight of it. It's exactly what I was looking for in those regards.

Durability:
Little sign of wear on the finish. Clips and ring attachments have all held up so far - no fear that it won't outlast it's warranty riding in my pocket.

Use:
Has come in handy a few times - glad I have it in the backyard with my dog at night to see what he's cornered...

Critter spotted using the LOW light setting...

So far, all functions as it should and I have no real complaints! Would recommend!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Just posting another update now that I've been using the light on my keychain for over a year now. The light itself still works fine and it's been well used and abused clanking around in my pocket. The only issue I've had up to this point is that the twisting action to activate the light is not as tight and accurate as it was out of the box. It takes me about 5-10 seconds now usually to get the desired mode on... Just a data point, I'd still recommend purchasing the light for its price point. I am still leaving this specific one on my key chain as my applications are not time sensitive. If they were, I'd just buy another and cycle this one down to another roll - in a bag, drawer at home/office/etc.