Best Jerry cans---and where to buy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aikorob

Best Jerry cans---and where to buy

Post by aikorob » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:20 am

Hi folks---
I have decided to up my gas storage---and buy right the first time.
What are the best quality jerry cans.....in your opinion; and the best place to purchase?

Mr. Google comes back with eleventy hundred responses--but I figured I'd ask for some practical experiences among the different brands.

thanks
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

azrancher

Re: Best Jerry cans---and where to buy

Post by azrancher » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:26 am

Ebay... don't pay more than $25.00 shipped.

You will get some that need to be repaired, cook out on the turkey burner, weld up, do not braze.

Better than any plastic 5 gallon can.

Rancher

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:12 pm

If you're looking for best quality as you indicate in your OP, restrict yourself to actual NATO spec jerry cans, not "NATO-style" cans. See also "Wavian" and "Valpro".

Definitely DO expect to pay more than $25 shipped.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:36 pm

I'll add the eleventieth dissent opinion!

I vote military surplus MFCs, yes, the plastic ones. I think in general they have proven more durable then the metal cans and I haven't seen fakes like the 30,000 knock off NATO can options (I'll admit, I don't really trust myself to pick the right one).

I made my own pour nozzle like this:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... epot-Spout

as long as I want (can refuel hands free with the can on the roof), and also fits my "blitz" style metal cans (that certainly work but I'd recommend the MFCs).

the MFCs cost me about $38 apiece when I bought two, found them on ebay. Actually this guy (highly recommend):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Scepter-Fuel- ... wQByuQyapw

I found the Blitz cans at various yard sales, between $1-$5 apiece. At the price I'll keep them, but unless I need more then the 10 gallons in my MFCs I hope not to use them much.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

111t

Post by 111t » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:31 pm

I bought 5 Wavian cans from the old Grouch's military surplus. They have a deal that was 4/$200 with a cheapo nozzle included. Unfortunately they have been out of stock for some time now. SOE gets them from time to time. Case of 4/$250. Coleman's military surplus has them in the catalog.

I'm encouraged by the fact that they've been popping up more often lately. There is a new carb compliant spout. It's good because they'll be sold more widely. It's bad because a) carb spouts are bullshit. b) because it adds 15-$25 to the already steep price. $75 is too much in my opinion and this is compounded by the fact that they are not optional but are included with each can.

The cheapest ones I've ever purchased were from Sportsman's guide and they were a strange wide mouth opening that is used by the german military. They were $35 + shipping. They are incompatible with the nato spouts of course. The quality overall is equivalent to the Wavian cans. I use shaker siphons anyway so nozzles are not as important.

I'll link some videos. The first two are mine.

https://youtu.be/2fKhUKFCr7U

https://youtu.be/WqgM_x4boMs

Yeager video:

https://youtu.be/gyNV8zkit9A
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:12 pm

I got mine several years ago from http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.co ... -Cans.html

Do not be fooled by cheap Jerry Cans. You are not getting quality when you go cheap on these.

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Sadly it looks like you can't get the traditional spouts anymore, the CARB spouts are not nearly as good. I knew I should have ordered a bunch of traditional spouts when I had the chance, now it is too late. At least I have the one that came with my can I bought years ago.

See the demo in this video to see the difference

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:01 pm

I just bought 2 sets of these. NATO spec from the EU, not a chinese knock off. I passed on the spout (I use a super siphon) $119 for a set of 4. It was $147 delivered. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATO-Swiss-Army ... SwDNdV6ecj

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:59 am

I'm going to agree with everyone else. Steel UN-marked NATO cans or (if you can't get those) plastic MFCs, or your local equivalent.
ineffableone wrote:Do not be fooled by cheap Jerry Cans. You are not getting quality when you go cheap on these.
The only time I got caught out by that the seller was using UN-marked NATO cans as his eBay storefront but was actually supplying cheap Chinese copies. I got my money back from eBay and the seller never collected his scrap so I've still got the Chinese cans too :)

If anyone is really keen here's a bulk lot of 2,850 German army surplus NATO cans:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2850-PCS-GERMAN ... 2057111137
On the plus side they're about $9 each. On the minus side they're in Poland ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

111t

Post by 111t » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:08 am

All the best!
-Paul

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:58 pm

ineffableone wrote:Sadly it looks like you can't get the traditional spouts anymore, the CARB spouts are not nearly as good. I knew I should have ordered a bunch of traditional spouts when I had the chance, now it is too late. At least I have the one that came with my can I bought years ago.

See the demo in this video to see the difference

https://colemans.com/shop/containers/nato-nozzle/
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

Neville

Post by Neville » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:21 pm

This topic was covered on Survivalblog.

http://buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx?D1= ... mID=600409

These are durable and have an excellent reputation. I paid about twice that for the one I am using in my expedition vehicle.

We had a situation where my daily driver broke down on us, overheating due to an un-noticed coolant leak. It was triple digit heat, we had the dog with us. Called AAA - "A three-hour wait? Are you freaking serious? And the dog can't ride in the truck?" Useless a-holes! Fortunately we had a jug of water (about 2 gallons) in the back for the dog. We were able to get the truck cooled down, add water, and limp our way back home where we could refil again before taking it to the repair shop the next day.

Without that water, it would have been a very unpleasant afternoon.

So, if you can find a way to carry some water, it's a good investment in my book. I'm getting these for each of our vehicles now. Well, the smaller 2.5 gallon ones for the VW beetle. Trunk space, you know.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Neville wrote:This topic was covered on Survivalblog.

These are durable and have an excellent reputation. I paid about twice that for the one I am using in my expedition vehicle.
I'm not following. Are you saying these water cans can safely store gasoline?

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 pm

There has been long, ongoing debates over at Expedition Portal about using water cans for gas; consensus is they work, but it's a bad idea. Certainly hard to get a spout for, you'd be limited to siphons probably.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Neville

Post by Neville » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:02 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Neville wrote:This topic was covered on Survivalblog.

I'm not following. Are you saying these water cans can safely store gasoline?

I wasn't saying that. Nowhere did I say that. And I certainly would NOT want to be taken as in any way encouraging people to store fuel in containers not labeled for that specific fuel. I believe the DOT has regulations regarding that.

The OP asks a generic question about jerry cans. My response was in reply to that particular question. He also asks about gasoline storage, which I did not address, although I have - at considerable length - here in the past. For the record, the link I provided is for the water cans but gasoline cans are available from the same manufacturer, and appear identical except for label and color.

These jerry cans are color coded and/or labeled for specific uses. There are some designated for fuels, some for water, etc. I don't believe the factory that produces them makes any distinction in the material or construction of the containers. I.E. is it physically possible to store gasoline in a water container? I believe it is. Is it a good idea? I don't think it is, for a whole host of reasons, such as someone finding an empty water can previously used to store fuel, filling it with water, and then drinking from it and getting residual fuel into their system. Not a good idea. Or someone mistakenly putting cans labled "water" next to the fireplace, not realizing they actually contain gasoline. Worse idea. But if it was an emergency and someone was going to die if we don't put fuel in this non-approved "water" container? Your call, but if a life was on the line I'd do it and not be worried... I'd just take steps after the crisis to make sure no harm came from the forced improvisation. Probably destroy and discard, unless it was a matter of type of fuel (ie, gas temporarily in a kerosene or diesel container). As long as the improper fuel is drained, the container rinsed with some standard fuel (to be discarded) then refilled. But never water after fuel, bad juju may result. Keep in mind, that juju will still be in play if you forget/neglect to evac & rinse all the gasoline out of a diesel or kerosene container. A diesel engine would be ruined if gasoline is mistakenly poured into it, and a kerosene space heater will likely explode if fueled with gasoline. You can see there are many good reasons to follow the rules and keep the cans exclusively for the liquid they are intended to contain because confusion can equal disaster in so very many ways.

Full disclosure: I was in a hurry one day (this is back in the 70's) and grabbed a red fuel container marked gasoline that someone else had put diesel fuel in. It never occurred to me to check or smell the fuel, I just dumped it into the gas tank and motored on down the road. I didn't get very far before the head gasket blew. That was an expensive mistake, and not one anyone here would wish to repeat. Adhere to proper safety by always putting liquids (water or fuels) into correctly marked containers. When time comes to bug out, you (or those helping you) may not think to double check and then find yourself stranded in the middle of a flight to safety. Not good.

Please note that I am addressing ONLY this specific brand/type of container, and not speaking generically to "containers" of all sorts.

Image Image
Last edited by Neville on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:10 pm

I have a few of those water jugs. There's no doubt in my mind that they are robust enough to hold fuel. Material they are made out of would be fine with fuel. In fact they're probably more robust the many commercially available fuel containers. However I agree that they are plainly marked water. The dangers seems to lie and confusion with multiple users. Also I'm not sure that the closure would be good with fuel. I'm not going to test it. It might be fine but it seems to me the right tool for the right job are the metal cans. I had somebody point out to me on YouTube that the largemouth NATO cans are actually designed for oil. But it seems to me they should be fine for gasoline as well. For anyone that would want to try to use the plastic can for fuel I would definitely suggest painting it and labeling it very very clearly.

Speaking of unacceptable closures… This shit just makes me sad deep down in my soul:
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:06 pm

The military water can lids are all wrong for storing fuel and will leak at the main threads, the pour spout and at the vent cap, especially when internal vapor pressure builds up.

The similar looking fuel cans have a Viton gasket seal on the lid and no vent cap or pour spout. The fuel cans have an internal vent tube that works with the special pour spout with its own Viton O-ring. I own about twenty of each type of can.

The fuel cans are plainly marked FUEL and have color coded lid straps with red for gas and yellow for diesel.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:There has been long, ongoing debates over at Expedition Portal about using water cans for gas; consensus is they work, but it's a bad idea. Certainly hard to get a spout for, you'd be limited to siphons probably.
I was part of that debate. Various folks claimed they would work but no one ever delivered one that did.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:05 am

aikorob wrote:Hi folks---
I have decided to up my gas storage---and buy right the first time.
What are the best quality jerry cans.....in your opinion; and the best place to purchase?

Mr. Google comes back with eleventy hundred responses--but I figured I'd ask for some practical experiences among the different brands.

thanks

Here are a couple of links to good metal NATO style cans. Not Chinese made copies.

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.co ... -Cans.html

http://www.to-extreme.com/store/p26/20L ... y_Can.html

used Scepter Military Fuel Cans show up on eBay. If they have a yellow strap they were for diesel and need the rubber gasket replaced with a Viton gasket
roughly $60 each in lot of 4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Military-S ... XQsoNRgV3x

And you might be able to order new from Canada

http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?cPa ... 56445e0c2e

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:17 pm

teotwaki wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:There has been long, ongoing debates over at Expedition Portal about using water cans for gas; consensus is they work, but it's a bad idea. Certainly hard to get a spout for, you'd be limited to siphons probably.
I was part of that debate. Various folks claimed they would work but no one ever delivered one that did.
I actually know a guy locally that uses two 2.5 gallon sceptor MWCs for gas, as far as I know for a few years. He keeps them upright, cable locked to his roof rack, I was sketched out by it but he thought it worked fine.

AK, Glock, Pie.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:42 pm

111t wrote:Speaking of unacceptable closures… This shit just makes me sad deep down in my soul:
Much like you I really don't get that. Someone thought that there would be a market for a steel jerry can - and from the logo a Valpro one, at that - but with a nasty plastic screw cap? Who would choose something like that?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

111t

Post by 111t » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:01 pm

sheddi wrote:
111t wrote:Speaking of unacceptable closures… This shit just makes me sad deep down in my soul:
Much like you I really don't get that. Someone thought that there would be a market for a steel jerry can - and from the logo a Valpro one, at that - but with a nasty plastic screw cap? Who would choose something like that?
They should put it through the testing that the Wavian ones go through! ;)
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:06 pm

sheddi wrote:Much like you I really don't get that. Someone thought that there would be a market for a steel jerry can - and from the logo a Valpro one, at that - but with a nasty plastic screw cap? Who would choose something like that?
California Air Resource Board probably did. Sigh.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”