It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:18 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Personal medical emergency kit

As I sit in the emergency waiting room at the local hospital for the fourth time in ten days, I reflect on the hole in my personal preparations that would have made these trips much more convenient and probably easier if the situation were worse. I'm now designing a personal medical emergency kit.

The kit's purpose is purely of comfort/ease of access to critical information during a medical emergency resulting in me spending time in a medical facility for 2-48 hours.

Items of importance:
Paperwork
Medical history, allergies, current and past medications.
Copy of: health card, insurance
Contact information: emergency contacts, family doctor, other medical offices I've received treatment. Also making note of contact information for local friends and family I can contact if I needed a favour such as moving my car out of hospital parking.

Clothes
Clean and comfortable, nothing restricting, sweats and a tshirt. Assume any part of the body could need to be shown to medical staff, it's no time to be in designer jeans and a slim fit button down. In my experience, medical facilities run on the cool side temperature wise, but having shorts in the summer probably isn't a bad idea.

Food:
Mostly snacks, shelf stable, but the trick here I think is to consider the types of foods you would want to eat with oral injuries or an uneasy stomach - apple sauce, pudding cups. Soft, easy to chew. Granola bars aren't a bad idea, but just to cover all the possibilities. Throw in two 500ml bottles of water for good measure. I know I'm going pretty light here, but I also live in a major metropolis and most hospitals I've been in have small cafes open 24h, basically these snacks are to keep me from buying $2 chocolate bars out of a vending machine. Of course there's also $20 in cash when I just need a kitkat.

General items:
Charging cables for electronic devices, battery booster and wall usb adapter. My go to headphones currently are Bluetooth, so throwing a wired set in the bag to prolong battery life of my phone/main music player. Toiletries, pad of paper and writing instruments. A good paperback.

My city's transit system uses a proprietary token that can be purchased in advance, keeping four tokens means I could navigate the city if I'm prescribed medications I shouldn't drive with.

I think that's everything I have grabbed/wanted in my recent visits. You might say that everything I've listed is already in a BOB, and you're right, but even my real world urban Bug Out Bag (see signature) is large, cumbersome, and has a lot of tools and equipment I don't need in the average hospital trip.

Open to input from others especially those in the medical fields who know what most people wish they had/ask for when they have trips to the emergency room.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Trying to think of anything you didn't cover, but it seems pretty good to me.
Working on something like this for my BOB, because reality hits and a duffel bag in the car with multi use stuff works better for my situations than an ALICE pack full of "survival supplies".
Maybe throw in a deck of cards? Could be that you have someone waiting there with you and it could provide them entertainment as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:16 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Good call on communal entertainment options. I kind of thought along that route with pad of paper and pens; I can write notes, but also a good multiuse option for car trip style games.
A connected thought; anything being used in this kit should be easy to sanitize or cheap to replace. Plasticized playing cards fall into the latter category.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:23 pm 

Extra undies, maybe a pair of sandals or some kind of sockless slip-on. A guy ran a light and nearly hit me a while back, and if I hadn't hit the head on the way out of work I'd've needed to go home and change. I added a pair of underwear to my EDC bag when I got home.

Contact info for work, and work/school for your SO/kids if applicable.

Less useful than the others, probably, but if you don't already have something in your daily carry stuff, an ebook reader and/or one of the Kindle Fire tablets. The ebook reader could be auxiliary to the paperback, since it'd give you the ability to carry a huge number of books. The latter for messaging, just killing time on the web, or games or movies. (A smartphone would do those as well, but I've gotten to like larger displays.) I haven't been to hospitals a lot, but I do remember mind-crushing boredom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:31 pm 

This is a great idea. And reminds me of waiting in the ER like I've had to do three times in the last three weeks.

I always forget my headphones. Without Netflix your sunk. LOL!

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:03 pm 

Wow, you guys go to the ER a lot..........aaaaaa, good idea on the bags as I hate the Hospital myself and anything that makes the stay easier would be welcome. On another note, could any of those trips have been avoided? I mean they have fast tracks and other options now to keep folks out of the ER octopus. I would work on the impulse for the trip...maybe a friendly nurse or paramedic you can call to get you a quick assessment? Just an idea.....the ER is actually a very dangerous place to be sitting....just a thought man, be safe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:11 pm 

IANMCDEVITT wrote:
Wow, you guys go to the ER a lot..........aaaaaa, good idea on the bags as I hate the Hospital myself and anything that makes the stay easier would be welcome. On another note, could any of those trips have been avoided? I mean they have fast tracks and other options now to keep folks out of the ER octopus. I would work on the impulse for the trip...maybe a friendly nurse or paramedic you can call to get you a quick assessment? Just an idea.....the ER is actually a very dangerous place to be sitting....just a thought man, be safe.

We are best friends with the head of one of the largest ER's in LA. But this required surgery. So it wasn't like she could do it in our living room. ;) But ya, we use that resource a lot. The additional trips were to pack a wound. We just didn't want to bother her with that. And those trips didn't take that long.

Come to think of it I should pick her brain about more prepper stuff. Or at least my med kit and training.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:48 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Before May 2016, I hadn't been to the ER for at least two years. The point is, being prepared for a zombie apocalypse is great, being more prepared for life's little inconveniences is even better.

I consider the BOB in my signature to be a very realistic, down to earth, well thought out pack. It's not designed to live off the grid for a week, or care for me and mine in a war zone, it's for any real world disaster that would force me out of my apartment for more than a day such as a structural compromising fire or earthquake. like I said in the OP, my BOB could handle an ER trip, but it's overkill for such a task.

Most of what I listed in the OP is currently in a small duffle bag, There's a few items I will pick up specifically for this kit, like a new pair of track pants, everything I currently own is either in horrible condition for bumming around the house, or too athletic for this purpose. Once I pick up everything I want, I'll be looking for a dedicated pack/duffle/murse. Mild-high organization options, and a medium sized main compartment (mostly for clothing).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 pm 

BullOnParade wrote:
Before May 2016, I hadn't been to the ER for at least two years. The point is, being prepared for a zombie apocalypse is great, being more prepared for life's little inconveniences is even better.

I consider the BOB in my signature to be a very realistic, down to earth, well thought out pack. It's not designed to live off the grid for a week, or care for me and mine in a war zone, it's for any real world disaster that would force me out of my apartment for more than a day such as a structural compromising fire or earthquake. like I said in the OP, my BOB could handle an ER trip, but it's overkill for such a task.

Most of what I listed in the OP is currently in a small duffle bag, There's a few items I will pick up specifically for this kit, like a new pair of track pants, everything I currently own is either in horrible condition for bumming around the house, or too athletic for this purpose. Once I pick up everything I want, I'll be looking for a dedicated pack/duffle/murse. Mild-high organization options, and a medium sized main compartment (mostly for clothing).

I'm working on the same thing. Looking at the Condor Urban Go Pack. I have plenty of leftovers to put in it. And things I'd need in a normal extended "trip" away from home.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:40 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Anyone have experience with a maxpedition sabercat? Thinking about picking one up while they're on clearance for this kit. Kind of overkill, but it seems to suit volume wise.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:49 pm 

Was interested in the Sabercat until I saw the Noatak. I think the sling concept would carry better than a butt pack of that size.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:34 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

benzboy wrote:
Was interested in the Sabercat until I saw the Noatak. I think the sling concept would carry better than a butt pack of that size.

I use the Noatak as my EDC bag. I really like it. The size is good. It carries all my EDC stuff without being too big. I really like that it has a hydration pocket. The extra room for MOLLE pouches is nice too. I have a condor gadget pouch on the PALS panel and a condor ipouch on the strap. I also added a Maxpedition Janus Extension pocket. I use the Janus for my cell if I am not wearing any pockets. I also keep some other quick access items there.

Overall I am very happy with the bag.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:05 pm 

I'm necro-ing this thread for a very important public service announcement: If you have abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting (if you're vomiting but able to keep liquids or food down, you don't need to be there), or anything that could conceivably require a surgical procedure (possible fracture, chest pain, etc), DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING WHILE WAITING TO BE SEEN. Surgical procedures ideally happen with 8 hours for the stomach to be empty, to minimize the chance of you vomiting and aspirating while under anesthesia. Obviously, this NPO status isn't planned for and it's an emergency surgery, we'll have to take our chances. But if you come into my ER munching on something and will probably need surgery, the first thing that's going to happen is I'm going to be pissed. The second thing that's going to happen is, if it's not an emergency surgery, you're going to sit in a room for 8 hours to be properly NPO before they take you to the operating room.

Now, if you're there for something that isn't for potential surgery (like you need a few sutures), having a snack is a great idea because wait times can be long. But if you're eating Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew and tell me your belly hurts, I will be forced to fight the temptation to punch you in it.

painiac's Essential Guide to Concealed Carry
painiac's Essential Guide to Physical Assessment Skills: Part 1, Abdominal Pain