Hike with some new gear

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Canadian Guy

Hike with some new gear

Post by Canadian Guy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:17 am

Got outside for a hike of about 5-6 Km in a local Conservation area, weather was sunny and around 8 C (46 F). Went off trail through the woods and stopped to sit and use some newly acquired kit.

Emberlit Stainless Steel collapsible wood stove (a nice Christmas gift I received), this is the second time using it and I am impressed in how easy it is to get it going and keep going. On top is the Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo pot that I have had for quite a while, great piece of kit! I boiled up some water and made Hemlock tea (thanks goes to Woods Walker for getting me drinking the stuff):

Kifaru E & E in Wolf Gray colour, recently acquired along with a Kifaru Pointman Backpack which it docks onto. I have it set-up to carry all the small pieces of kit one would use out hiking or just out in the woods and includes "emergency survival" items. I'll have to post a review on it. Well made and makes for a great small pack with everything you need for a short day hike, so far very impressed with it but still trying to figure out how it will work into my gear set-up.

Sat and had my Hemlock tea and then headed back as the sun was setting.

Robbie in ME

Re: Hike with some new gear

Post by Robbie in ME » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:33 pm

I am interested how you rig up the E&E. Will that replace your belt/fanny bag kit?

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Yes, I did replace the "belt/fanny bag" I had been using with the E & E pack. Testing it out to see how exactly I'll utilize it but am envisioning it being used to carry small items that I would carry for outdoors hiking/wilderness/survival either on its own as a daypack or attached to a larger pack for longer outings.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:33 pm

The SS Emberlite is a good stove! I got one. In fact I misplaced my Core 4 so will be cracking it out again till that's either found or a new one is purchased. Glad I kept it.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:59 pm

Woods Walker wrote:The SS Emberlite is a good stove! I got one. In fact I misplaced my Core 4 so will be cracking it out again till that's either found or a new one is purchased. Glad I kept it.
I'm liking it, seems to be easy to light and keep going. Boils up water quick enough. Stainless is a bit heavier then Titanium but it was a gift so I can't complain :)

Cazo

Post by Cazo » Sat May 14, 2016 11:27 am

You should check out the Solo Stove. My wife bought me one and I was amazed how fast it lights and how quickly it heats up.

https://youtu.be/ZqOhi7NiNBQ

Return to “Bug Out Gear”