Sleep system...can I get away without buying a new bag?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gunner22

Sleep system...can I get away without buying a new bag?

Post by Gunner22 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:38 pm

First, I'm trying to build a sleep system for my INCH bag. I want it to be reliable to 0* F.

Current setup:

Snugpak Bunker tent
Thermarest Solite mat
Fleece bag liner
SOL Thermal bivy

I will soon be purchasing a decent inflatable pad in addition to, probably big Agnes, don't remember the name, but had 4 inches of inflation, no additional insulation.

I currently have a Coleman 30* mummy bag, which I've used down to 50* no problem, and a Marmot Nanowave 55, which I love but has only been used in summer.

Disclaimer: I would be wearing a base layer, wool socks, and fleece hat while sleeping.

Questions:

Will the Coleman( I know, not the best product ever manufactured) hold me over comfortably?

If I bought a 2 lb fleece blanket could I use it reliably with the Marmot? Will take up same amount of space as Coleman bag.

Or, do I just need to pony up to a new sleeping bag? I was hoping to keep this system as flexible as possible.

Thanks for any help, my winter camping experience is not well seasoned.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: Sleep system...can I get away without buying a new bag?

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:55 pm

I think you'll be fine. Use what you have. Pick a cool period - it doesn't have to be a nuclear winter. Live outdoors with it for a week and then make your decisions.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Robbie in ME

Post by Robbie in ME » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:04 am

I would get a zero degree bag. I don't think you will get much sleep with that setup you have. In my opinion your sleep system is very important to your wellbeing and being able to function over serveral days.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:11 pm

My thoughts: Why zero degrees? Does your AO get that cold? or is it just a number you came up in your head? Also, why are you carrying so much bulky stuff for your INCH bag? An INCH bag is something you're going to want to pack as much stuff into as possible, what you just listed will take up the entire main compartment of a 70L bag. That much room could be used for a lot of other stuff especially in an INCH bag.

I think the best solution would be get the better sleep pad, and get a 20 degree bag with a liner. If your AO really gets down to Zero, then get a zero degree bag. They will take up for less space, it will be a lot more comfortable and you'll not be worried about that coleman.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Gunner22

Post by Gunner22 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Zero degrees is just a number. I'm currently residing in Maine, so want to be prepared for worst weather I might encounter. As far as bulk, with the exception of the pad and tent, doesn't even take up all of my sleep compartment. The pad is stored outside the pack, the tent undecided.

As far as the tent and bulk are concerned, my wife and I both have 3 person tents in our bags in the case only one of us are with our 3 kids. A lot more items to pack I know, but we knew what we were looking at when we had them. One of the reasons we are trying to make the system as flexible as possible.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Ok then, living in Maine I can see having a zero degree sleep system. In my opinion just get a zero degree bag. You wont regret it, and if you want to pack the fleece blanket as well it wouldn't be a bad idea. I have the thermarest neo air at like 2.5-3 inches, it's awesome packs down small enough i keep it in my main compartment. My sleeping bag that I use for winter is a Western Mountaineering Ultralite it's a 20 degree bag that I've been in 20 degree weather and was still getting to warm. I am very warm blooded, so I may not be the best person to take advice from. I also have an old Lefume 40 degree bag that packs smaller than the neo air does for if things get REALLY cold around here but that would be like zero or colder.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Let me toss this bag at you as an idea:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everest-Mummy ... ethod=p13n

Everest Mummy bag.

Supposed to be good down to 5 Degree F.

Currently $25.85

Currently 921 reviews, 796 of which are 4 starts or higher (out of 5). So it is probably not junk.

At that price it will likely work, though I don't know about it's bulk. I suspect you could get 1, see how you like it, and at that price, maybe get a few more.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:58 pm

I have another option for you to try. Take both of your bags, put your 55 degree bag inside of your 30 and see how it is at lower temps (maybe not 0 but whatever is convenient). Adding a fleece blanket won't hurt you, but volume + weight aren't going to compare to an equal volume/weight sleeping bag. I love fleece, I keep some in my car, but it's a supplement in case of a breakdown.

I agree on the buy a 0 degree bag mantra. It sucks to buy new gear but having insufficient winter gear sucks. I did nearly -20 F with windchill in a Kelty Cosmic 0 and found out the hard ware it's more like a +15-20 bag. My advice, buy quality. Read a lot of reviews. Final bit, don't buy an uninsulated pad. Get on Campsaver.com or one of the others and get yourself an Exped Downmat and never need another pad again. 4" of air is nothing compared to 2.5-3" of air + down.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Gunner22

Post by Gunner22 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go ahead and grab a new bag, and check out that exped mat.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:58 pm

Check out a Kelty down bag. They go on sale quite frequently. Down is going to be the smallest and lightest to choose from. Otherwise I'd suggest an MSS. But way to heavy. You said you already have a lot to carry. Look at down. Synthetic is going to substantially heavier and bulkier. And with your bivy and all keeping it dry is not a problem.

I personally don't trust that Walmart bag. People that buy camping equipment at Walmart aren't that educated about things actual use. Or they'd find better products. Most of what Walmart has in camping is crap. Not to say Walmart is bad. Walmart is great. I love just about everything else in Walmart. But getting good camping or hiking gear at Walmart is not something one hears very often.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”