Load-Out Bags

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Load-Out Bags

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:16 pm

In addition to my BOB, I'm considering a load-out duffle-type bag to throw in my Subaru if I need to get my family out of town in a hurry. I'm leaning towards Maxpedition or LBT duffles, but wanted to sound out the collective and see if any of you had any thoughts on the subject based on your own load-out bags.

Cap

Re: Load-Out Bags

Post by Cap » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:33 pm

I have the larger LBT and the 5.11 CAMS bag. Both are good bags. It really depends on how much room you have available to put it in the Subaru. Neither are small, but the CAMS is noticeably larger. I haven't played with the Maxpedition. 2 of these monsters is enough for me to store

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:35 pm

What's gong in the bag, and would decent rolling luggage fit the bill?
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:42 pm

My Hi-Cap Go-To is always my old sea bag. Holds a crap ton and nearly unbreakable (I.e. no zippers) and easy to toss around.

Only issue is it's a pain to get single items out of.

But for getting one for like $10 at a surplus store, they're tough to beat. Plus, you can look like Rambo from First Blood lugging it around.... Vagrants.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:10 am

Seabags are great for storing a lot of things, plus you can lock it and beat the crap out of it. The flight kit bag is easier to access and if packed right can carry even more. I have seen them at Goodwill and flea markets for much less than you can find them online, but some can be found for less than $20
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1687402

Someone already mentioned it, but good luck finding a specific item and removing it from the packed sea bag. I always said a small prayer that I would not get picked for a customs look when I was returning from abroad.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:00 pm

I like the waterproof ones.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:18 pm

when it comes to duffles I lean more towards the "buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep" philosophy, I keep a few empty ones near my closet to pack extra clothes in a hurry if need be.

I have the classic North Face Base camp duffle, which is certainly a nice duffle make no mistake, but I would never pay full price for it. It doesn't offer that much over a cheap 1000d cordura duffle properly designed.
I started making roll-top duffles out of truck-tarp vinyl when I could get it out of the dumpster at work from my old job. Roll top has some of the sea-bag pluses (no zipper, pretty bomber and very secure) but if you orient the roll top on the long-axis you get much better access. A lot of my BOV food and gear lives in these as close to the front door as the wife will allow.

The Watershed duffles would be an example of the roll-top style I am referring to, but would also be a bit overpriced unless you are actually needing weatherproofing (top of the subaru for instance).
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:42 am

RonnyRonin wrote:when it comes to duffles I lean more towards the "buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep" philosophy, I keep a few empty ones near my closet to pack extra clothes in a hurry if need be.

I have the classic North Face Base camp duffle, which is certainly a nice duffle make no mistake, but I would never pay full price for it. It doesn't offer that much over a cheap 1000d cordura duffle properly designed.
I started making roll-top duffles out of truck-tarp vinyl when I could get it out of the dumpster at work from my old job. Roll top has some of the sea-bag pluses (no zipper, pretty bomber and very secure) but if you orient the roll top on the long-axis you get much better access. A lot of my BOV food and gear lives in these as close to the front door as the wife will allow.

The Watershed duffles would be an example of the roll-top style I am referring to, but would also be a bit overpriced unless you are actually needing weatherproofing (top of the subaru for instance).
I agree with this. Decent duffels can be had inexpensively, as can rolling luggage. No need to spend too much given the purpose.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:52 pm

My .02 for a family load out bag
Hockey gear bags: Very large (8,000-10,000 ci) wheeled duffel bags for a single bag. If your plans include air, rail, or sea travel, forget the wheels, pack carry on size bags inside the main bag, and make the main bag collapsible. IME, trying to get rolling or handheld luggage up the stairs of an AMTRAK coach car is a pain. Backpacks worn around the front are much easier.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Load-Out Bags

Post by Smash05 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:03 pm

I can also highly recommend the L.L. Bean boat and tote. When my wife and I travel, every little piece of spare gear goes in one. They are durable and going on 10+ years of use.

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:00 pm

I keep several of those east german surplus rain camo assault packs in my Subaru. They are easily divided into different modules. The straps are easily removeable so there aren't any snagging issues. There is a convenient handle on the top. Some of them have the vinyl lining which makes them quite water resistant. They have a buckle strap closure which is ruggedly executed. Two of them fit in each foot well in the back seat. They can be quickly transferred to the cargo area if I need to transport adults. I can carry a wide variety of gear this way and then recombine the kits as needed in the event of an emergency.

Check the link in my Sig.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

2now

Post by 2now » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Who will be loading the car?
If you are busy doing some other critical task, what is the heaviest that other family members can easily load? That should be your max weight and will help you determine how big a bag you are looking for.
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:30 am

I have three Force Protector wheeled load-out bags that I am trying out. The USMC FOR65 model. The bags will be for a full kit of clothes and gear primarily for when earthquakes might chase me out of the house but suitable for other situations that require rapidly exiting the premises. In the past i've used the North Face base camp duffels but the FOR65s offer a little more protection, stack well in the garage and have wheels. My offroad trailer is always ready to go out on the driveway so camping gear, water and fuel are taken care of.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:18 pm

found a cheap roll-top duffle option:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1677988

think I'll get one to try, as I'm too lazy to try and seal the seams on my home-made ones.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PWA2600
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/28 Weeks Later.
The Walking Dead TV Series.
Resident Evil Series.
Others.

Post by PWA2600 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:22 am

absinthe beginner,

I would say dependent upon your budget, and the availability of the item(s) you are looking to get; will be the deciding factor for you. I have the Force Protector "FOR65" rolling duffels for my family; they have been great for allowing my littler ones transport their stuff on trips. I like the fact that when not in use they are collapsible; the only negative I can say about them is that the grab handle is not as long or retractable (for an adult). The ones I have are second hand, so they had some usage. If you could find these or a similar system, I do not think you would regret it.

From helping out a friend whom was in the local National Guard unit; he had given me his rolling duffel, which is from the company Litefighter. They also make single and two-man tents; their rolling duffel is the Olympus II (in Multicam), and from using it as checked luggage multiple times and as my load-out bag in a SHTF scenario I cannot complain about its features or durability.

So if at all possible make friends with either a local USMC reserve unit, or local NG unit; and as the saying goes "It is not what you know, but who you know".

In conclusion, all of the examples or suggestions that others have mentioned are viable options; I chose rolling duffels for my family due to I have small children still, and wanted something that they would not have to carry.

I hope this helps you.

http://www.forceprotector.com/for65.html
http://litefighter.com/product/olympus-ii-load-out-bag/
"You do not truly own anything that you can't carry in both arms at a dead run"
- Robert A. Heinlein

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith"
-2 Timothy 4:7

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
- Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Return to “Bug Out Gear”