Your favorite light and ultra light gear?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

henryk-yonza

Your favorite light and ultra light gear?

Post by henryk-yonza » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Personally I have been on a light gear obsession this last year.
Looking to replace some of my heavier stuff with light and ultra light versions.
That is, with out losing quality and ruggedness of the gear.

My favorite gear right now is, a titanium cutlery set from phizer
(It has real deep spoon that every other set I tried lacked). A combo hackenstien
Cook set using the snow peak titanium pots, that replace the stainless pots in the snow peak cook set#3
( the stainless set had plates and other accessories that the titanium set lacked, but the pots were exact).
I've been investing slowly in quality light sleeping and cooking gear mostly lately
But would like to replace my emergency kit piece by piece in the next year.

I prefer metal over plastic, nesting equipment when possible.
My heavier gear will be boxed up and placed in vehicles permanently
Or given away to those in need.

What gear have you thought of replacing, or plan to replace This year?
Grin the mind of hernyk yonza
you can find henry under his vehicles on a creeper.
You could even call it creepy
Working on something that he really Should pay some one else to do.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Your favorite light and ultra light gear?

Post by dunamis » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Enlightened Equipment's Revelation top quilt! I bought the 20 degree long/wide version with the 20d outer shell and 800fill (it might have been 850?) water repellent down and it's awesome! Weighs about 1 1/2 lbs. and kept me toasty warm into temps in the high 20's. Haven't had a chance to use it in colder temps but it performed exceedingly well where I have used it! Compresses very small and if you have the extra dough, 950 fill is available which I think shaves almost 4 more ounces off the weight.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:12 pm

I am planning to purchase a Granite Gear Virga 2 Ultralight backpack real soon. I have another GG, and it has been amazingly solid for years. Time to upgrade to a 18 oz pack. (less than 1/2 the weight of my current pack) Yes, it is lighter gauge material, but I don't plan on bushwhacking too much with it. This is just for hiking.

Good stuff.

My fav UL gear so far: Sawyer mini filter (2 oz for the filter by itself), ZPacks asym hammock tarp (9 oz with guy wires and ridgeline), Golite topquit (rated to 30 degrees, but I have been comfortable at 15f in it, 19 oz) and the J.Fallk Bushwacker stove (6 oz, fuel available most everywhere I hike)

- I am always looking for another few ounces to save in my gear. It lets me carry more bourbon on the trail.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:03 pm

My hooded down jacket. Weighs ounces. And creates tons of heat.

My Mora military green knife over my ESEE 5. Or just my Leatherman Wingman.

I tend towards stuff that is lighter not ultralight. Like my aluminum cook pot from a Czech mess kit.

My cat can stove.

I actually went heavier when I switched from a plastic Nalgene to a SS one. And I don't really feel the difference.

My Kelty Down 0 sleeping bag. Over my MSS.

Mountain House over MRE's.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”