My current EDC and GHB setups

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

My current EDC and GHB setups

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:21 pm

With the start of a new year I figured now was a good time to share my EDC. I have been working on this setup for the last few years and am pretty happy with its current revision, but feel free to add comments or suggestions!

Little bit about me since I don't post much on here. I am a Senior at a local Business College, looking to graduate this summer with a BS in Business. Wife and I own a brick ranch on almost 6 acres about 10 minutes from the nearest city and interstate. Before college I spent 5 years in the Corps as a POG. I like to turn wrenches, shoot things, lift small weights, and build things in my spare time.

I try to combine value and price for a good ROI when purchasing gear. However, if I see something really good I want I will save up funds and buy once.

Consider this a bit of a EDC/GHB mini-series. I will start with my on person EDC, next installment will be my EDC college pack, and then my GHB.

Here we go:

Starting at ma' feet I went with Keen Durands and Darn Tough wool socks. I got tired of Belleville combat boots and wanted something more comfortable. Money well spent!

The Casio Tough Solar watch is conservative in appearance and always has a fully battery thanks to the sun. I really enjoy my Fenix E01, usually rides in my right front pocket with a bic and a burts bees.

Vertex Phantom LTs are amazing, I have a couple pairs in assorted colors.
Ares Gear Ranger belt and Raven Phantom holster and mag pouch.
Glock 19 with TLR1
2 Spare Glock 17 mags
Winchester Ranger SXT +P+ hollowpoints, 50 of them (15+1+17+17) keeps counting easy.

Hanes T shirt and Boxers, while cotton, are very comfortable. I wear a pair everyday.
Cheap condor hat and flag patch looks good on my grape.
Kershaw Blur clips to right front pocket.

Depending on the season I will wear a large polo, hoodie, fleece, or T shirt as an outerlayer.

Any comments or suggestions?

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: My current EDC and GHB setups

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:54 pm

The Fenix E01 is the cockroach of lights. Very very hard to kill. Maybe consider a UL synthetic T-shirt in place of the cotton if it is a backup set. Thank for posting the pics!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:31 pm

The Keens are good boots, very comfortable, never had a blister or hot spot. The only hitch is that they only last about 8 months of hard use. They start to separate and leak like sieves. Been through about 8 pairs of most models. I am trying a new pair of Danners, Crag Hoppers I believe? we will see, I'm not above jettisoning those either. My Keens I usually leave in whatever country I am in with a indig soldier or one of the drivers. The Fenixs' I never had good luck with. I have had the same Arc Light AAA around my neck for about 4 years. It's only about 40 lumens but I only take it off when TSA makes me and it's never failed. Nice belt though. I'd have to use that only at home.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:54 pm

Personally I prefer benchmade mini griptilians but we all have preferences. I am curious on the belt as I've never owned one. I'll have to see if anyone I know has one I can try. As far as flashlights I'm a streamlight kind of guy Protac 1AA all the way. I like the ten tap program option. But again we all have our preferences. I don't see a multitool. I'd reccomend a leatherman wave.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:57 pm

This is my setup I prefer iwb for easier concealment. I switch between streamlight microstream and Protac 1AA regularly depending on situation. Sometimes both. The microstream fits neatly in the elastic on the leatherman sheath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tobias05 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:56 pm

Love the Ares Gear Ranger Belt, highly recommend. Made here in Ohio too.

I have a Leatherman in my EDC pack which will be posted soon.

Would like a good light in AA to add to my kit. Until then i should probably keep the TLR1 in the holster and just rely on the E01 for now lol.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Streamlight Protac 1AA is a great light

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tobias05 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:37 pm

corrsk wrote:Streamlight Protac 1AA is a great light
Have had great luck with Streamlights thus far, will look it up. Thanks.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tobias05 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:45 pm

My next EDC layer consists of a Condor Phantom Soft Shell Jacket( lots of gear named phantom these days: RCS phantom holster, Vertx phantom LTs, and now this :rofl: ) Great jacket for the price. Kinda regret buying one in black, but hey.

With the addition of a fleece or hoodie I find the Phantom quite comfortable down around freezing temperatures.

A wigwam wool watch cap, my favorite pair of Oakleys, some nomex flight gloves, and a set of ear plugs finish out the picture.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by corrsk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:15 pm

I have the same jacket in OD green

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:10 am

EVERY DAY CARRY BACKPACK UPDATE:

Just finished my first week back at school so I figured now was the time to share my EDC/campus pack.

This EDC pack serves the purpose of providing daily support when out and about as a middle tier between my on person EDC and my GHB in the vehicle. Having both an EDC and GHB may seem redundant, but since I need to carry a bunch of books a few miles a day, and the fact the school may look down on carrying around "camping" gear on campus in an even bigger pack, I feel I've found a decent middle ground that works for me. The books add a few extra lbs which normally wouldn't be included for other daily off campus activities, but they also provide extra weight for great exercise! Every day is leg day here. Pretty much everything carried in the EDC can be quickly transferred to my GHB if needed. In its current state I would rate this pack for 24 hrs, assuming having already dressed appropriately for the weather.

Without further fanfare:

The black backpack is a 5.11 RUSH 12. TWO 5.11 H2O carriers fit each side. I find the yoke style shoulder straps very comfortable once broken in, and the pack itself more than tough enough for daily use. I've had this pack for a few years now and it's held up great showing little wear.

For hydration I carry two blue Nalgene 1 QT water bottles. Having spent time in the desert I always make sure to carry at least half a gallon of water with me anywhere I go. I don't like being thirsty!

A stainless GSI nesting cup, LifeStraw, and 20 Micropur MP1 tablets round out this category.

For First Aid I carry a SWAT-T, 4" IZZY, some band aids and alcohol swabs for minor cuts, and ibuprofen. A small SAWYER sunblock and insect repellent spray finish off this category.

This bag is light on calories, currently consisting of a chocolate cliff bar and a think thin protein bar. These items are basically included to provide cheap and healthy alternatives to raiding the vending machines on campus. I would rather eat a cliff bar that cost me a dollar at the grocery store, than buy a 6 dollar taco salad every day.

Technology includes an Ipad Mini, Anker battery pack, philips mp3/FM player, thumbdrive, cable, and headphones.

Miscellaneous items include a PSK, duct tape card, Leatherman Blast, Survival cards, pencils, pens, Titanium Snow Peak Spork, Emergen-C, pepto, Mirror, PT belt, Sharpie, TP wipes, N95 mask, Coleman Poncho, Shemaugh, spare pair of Darn Tough Socks, spare change, signal mirror, and a full-size bandana.

Weight of RUSH pack without books, paper, notebooks, or folders is exactly 14 lbs.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:15 am

Front admin pouch is great for organizing your trinkets.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:00 pm

corrsk wrote:Personally I prefer benchmade mini griptilians but we all have preferences. I am curious on the belt as I've never owned one. I'll have to see if anyone I know has one I can try. As far as flashlights I'm a streamlight kind of guy Protac 1AA all the way. I like the ten tap program option. But again we all have our preferences. I don't see a multitool. I'd reccomend a leatherman wave.

I have owned a few belts. My current one is leather and works pretty well at keeping my pants up. I'm sure you can borrow a belt from a friend. Most guys have a few. You can even hang gear off them

;)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”