Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag, for your criticism and enjoyment

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Honeycutt
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag, for your criticism and enjoyment

Post by Honeycutt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Today I present to you my bug out bag, for criticism and ogling. I know that it's not the best in the world, but it works for me, and most of the equipment is tested and has earned it's spot.

My gear consist of USGI equipment, with some civilian equipment in places where it's needed, or fits better. I choose to go with USGI items because of their affordability and bombproof nature. The civilian items were chosen because they fit the bill, and while maybe not "as tough", they still get the job done.

I live in northeastern Oklahoma where the weather is a little crazy, we can have 110° temperatures in the summer and 10° temperatures in the winter, with any kind of natural occurrence from A to B. We get a fair amount of rain, sometimes a fair amount of snow/ice, earthquakes, and let's not forget powerful thunderstorms that bring tornadoes. My kit was based around these things, and being able to be warm and dry, or cool and dry.

My kit is based around your average 72 hour bug out, with the ability to go longer if not for the lack of food. I've been hunting and fishing my entire life, so it something every happened where my bag is forced into an INCH bag, I forsee no issues.

Backpack and Accessories:

For my backpack I choose the Snugpak Endurance 40, obviously this is a 40L (around 2400ci), rucksack. I picked it up about 6 months ago on sale at LAPG, and for the price I'm a big fan of it. It's roomy, well built, and has plenty of MOLLE webbing. Overall I couldn't be happier with the bag.

• Snugpak Endurance 40 Backpack (Olive Drab)
• SealLine USMC "Mac Sack" Dry Bag

Water Storage and Filtration:

I take water procurement and storage very seriously, as well all know you absolutely need water to survive. Here in Oklahoma we have plenty of surface water in the form of lakes, ponds, creeks, and rivers, so honestly finding water isn't a huge issue. When I take the bag out to hike, or have a MBO I generally have both of the Nalgenes full, with the other containers empty.

• Nalgene 32oz Water Bottles (2)
• USGI 32oz Canteen with Cup and Cover (Worn on belt)
 - Katadyn MP1 Tablets (2)
 - LMF Mini FireSteel
• MSR 2L DromLite Water Bag
 - MSR Hydration Kit
• Katadyn Hiker Water Filter
• Sawyer Mini Water Filter
• Katadyn MP1 Tablets (10)

- All in Outdoor Products Ditty Sack

Fire Starting and Tender:

For my fire module I've went with proven items that I have experience using. The Bics are a backup to my LMF FireSteel, and I've only used them a handful of times. I pride myself of my fire starting abilities, and always try the FireSteel first. You may be curious about the HEET, and rightfully so. It's used as fuel, or an accelerant.

• Bic Full Size Lighters in Ziploc (2)
• LMF FireSteel 2.0
• PJ Cotton Balls in Ziploc
• UST Tender Quick Tabs in Ziploc
• HEET in Nalgene Bottle

- All in Ziploc Bag

Shelter and Sleeping:

Exposure will get you before anything else, and for this reason I've went a little over board in this section. I want to be able to stay dry and warm about anything else, and so far with the items I've choose I've done just that. I've yet to have to use the full MSS, and usually I have the patrol bag, and bivy, but for the colder months the patrol bag is replaced with the intermediate bag. Approximately 3 weeks ago I was doing an overnighter with the intermediate bag, and it got something like 26° overnight, and I slept like a baby. I'm also hot natured, so it was a great nights sleep. I can't say enough good things about the MSS, although I do wish it was lighter.

• Etowah Outfitters 10' x 10' Ripstop Tarp with pre-tied 550 Cord Guy Lines (Woodland)
• USGI Gore-Tex Bivy Sack (Woodland)
• USGI Patrol Sleeping Bag (3-Season)
• USGI Intermediate Sleeping Bag (Winter)
• Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad
• 4' x 7' Tyvek Ground Mat
• MSR Ground Hog Titanium Stakes (4)
• Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blanket

- USGI MSS in MSS Compression Dry Sack and MOLLE Carrier

- Tarp, Ground Mat, Stakes, and SOL Blanket in Outdoor Products Ditty Sack

Clothing:

I feel as if clothing is looked over in most bug out bags, but not in this one. I know that cotton is killer, therefore I only have cotton boxer briefs, I personally can't stand poly underwear. This system is not changed throughout the year just to keep things simpler. I wear a ball cap every day of the week, so I choose not to add another one, or a boonie type cap. I also EDC a pair of Oakley sunglasses, so those were left out as well.

Ninja edit: I purchased a Gen II ECWCS Parka on Friday, and I'm just waiting on it to arrive.

• USGI Fleece Watch Cap
• Buff Original Buff
• Columbia Steens Mountain Half-Zip Fleece Pullover (Olive Drab)
• Skivvy Rolls (2)
 - Russell Compression T-Shirt
 - Hanes Comfort Cotton Boxer Briefs
 - Russell Cold Weather Compression Leggings
 - Rocky Wool Blend Hiker Socks
• Extra Rocky Wool Blend Hiker Socks (2)
• USGI Wet Weather Poncho (Woodland)
• Mechanix Wear M-Pack Gloves
• Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Gaiters

- All in Outdoor Products Dry Sack

• Merrell All Out Blaze Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots, kept beside pack
• Crocs Yukon Clogs (Brown), lashed to outside of pack

Food and Food Preperation:

I struggled for quite a while on what food to prepare, and I'm still thinking about throwing I'm a Datrex or Mainstay bar so I have some more on the go food. Like stated earlier, give me your suggestions! Is this enough, or is this too much? I know that food in a BOB is kind of a preference thing, but my preference is to have a hot meal.

Ninja Edit: Has anyone seen single serve Siracha packets? I like tobasco, but I like Siracha more. Maybe I could toss some in a small Nalgene?

• Homeade MREs (2)
 - Brown Sugar and Maple Oatmeal Packets
 - PowerBars
 - Spam Single
 - Austin Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers
 - Knorr Red Beans and Rice
 - Spam Single
 - Knorr Cheddar Broccoli Noodles
 - Sunkist Tuna Single
 - Ziploc Bags
• Clif Crunch Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars (3)
• Jack Links Original Beef Jerky
• Gatorade Single Serve Drink Pouches (Fruit Punch, 6)
• Coffee Kits (4)
 - Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee
 - Nestlé Coffee Creamer
 - Sweet N' Low Sweetner
 - Ziploc Bag
• Vargo Titanium Hexagon Wood Stove
• Stanley Adventure Series Camp Cook Set
• Snow Peak Titanium Spork

- Food in Outdoor Products Ditty Sack

First Aid and Hygiene:

Another section I need a little help in. I feel as if my FAK is enough, but I could be wrong. On of my lifelong friends is a combat medic, and he has taught me a few tricks of the trade, as well as helped me pick a few things out based on his experience. I do have basic first aid training as well.

• REI Backpacker Weekend First Aid Kit
 *Augmented with:
 - Kendall Medical 4.5" x 4.1y Kerlix Rolls (2)
 - 3M 2" x 10y Transpore Medical Tape Roll
 - Chinook Medical 4" x 4" Isreali Bandage (2)
 - QuickClot Advanced Clotting Sponge (2)
 - Diarrhea Medication
 - SAM Splint XL
 - Benchmade 8 Rescue Hook
• Cut Down Oral B Toothbrush
• Film Canister of Baking Soda
• Dr. Bronners 4oz Organic Camp Soap
• Banana Boat SPF 45 Sun Block
• Ben's 1.25oz 100 Max Tick and Insect Repellent
• Gold Bond 1oz Body Powder
• Wet Ones Hand Wipes
• REI MultiTowel Lite Small Camp Towel

- All Hygeine in Ziploc Bag

Communications, Admin, and Navigation:

For this module I went with simple items. The S6 Active is my EDC, and as I'm sure you know is a smart phone with plenty of apps and utilities.

• Samsung Galaxy S6 Active in Otterbox Defender Case
• Rite In The Rain Waterproof Notepad
• Rite In The Rain Waterproof Clicker Pen
• Sharpie Full Size Permanent Marker
• Suunto MC-2G Navigator Compass
• Laminated Location Specific Topographic Map

Lighting and Power:

I just recently picked up the Fenix PD35 at REI, and I love it. It's so freaking bright, and runs for quite a long time. I choose the headlamp so I could have battery modularity. Everything running on the same battery just seems like a good thing.

• Fenix PD35 LED Flashlight
• Fenix HL50 LED Headlamp
• Energizer Lithium CR123A Batteries (4)
• Outdoor Tech Kodiak Waterproof Power Bank

- All in Ziploc Bag

Tools and Cordage:

Pretty simple here, I wanted tough reliable items that performed (hell, who doesn't?), the ESEE 6 was picked up at the Knife Connection on sale (still going on if you're interested), and I couldn't be happier with it. It batons amazingly, and boy oh boy does it hold an edge. The Carona was actually bought for $5 at a yard sale, so be jealous. I EDC a Benchmade 551 Griptilian by the way.

• ESEE Knives 6 Fixed Blade Knife
• Carona Folding Saw
• Leatherman Rebar Multitool
• Black Diamond Distance Z-Pole Trekking Poles
• Gorilla Tape Roll with cardboard removed and smashed
• Mini Fishing Kit
 - Plano Box
 - 300' Trilene 15lb Test Fishing Line
 - Eagle Claw #2 and #3 Hooks
 - Eagle Claw Split Weights (6)
 - Plano Mini Bobbers (3)
• SecureLine 100' Military Spec 550 Paracord (Camoflauge)
• Nite Ize Figure 9 S-Biners (2)

Weapons and Accessories:

I have a family member that does CCW classes, and for Christmas he gave me free classes, and is paying for the remainder of the fees and such, so withing the next week or so I'll be going to do that. I've always wanted a Beretta and Top Gun had used ones for $500, so I jumped right on that. So far I've only shot the gun a couple of times, and I'm impressed.

Ninja edit: The 10/22 will not go on every bug out, unless necessary. I choose to add it to the list because when I go camping (which I use the bag for), I take it along for plinking and small game hunting.

• Beretta 92FS 9mm Handgun
• Beretta 17 Round Magazine
 - Federal 147gr HST Hollow Point Ammunition
• N82 Tactical Original Tuckable Full Size Holster
• Ruger 10/22 Semiautomatic .22LR Rifle (Coyote)
 - Simmons 3x9x32 .22 MAG Rifle Scope
 - Custom Leather Sling
• Ruger 25 Round Magazine
 - CCI 40gr Velocitor Hollow Point Ammo

I know, I know, this thread is worthless without pics! I'm on a job right now, and won't be back until the end of the week, when I get home I will break everything down, and take some quality pictures for you guys. Let me know what you think, and let me know what I'm missing.

Thanks ZS, Honeycutt.

Edit: After reading around a bit I will be adding a couple of items to the pack. I will be adding some form of air mattress to the winter loadout, I need to do some research on this. In the same essence I'm sick of using pine boughs to rest my knees on, so after work I'll be searching for a foam pad and some Gorilla Tape to make a "Mags Mat".

Second Edit: I did some research last night, read around some, looked at about 20 pages of BOBs on here, and I will be adding a couple of things. My pack is already pretty full, and I don't want to utilize the MOLLE more than I have to, so I could very well be looking at a Kifaru soon. They actually are only about 30 miles from where I'm working now, and I may stop by on Friday to place an order, we shall see. I did buy a couple of things last night and am planning to buy, as well as made one, here they are.

• Exped SynMat 9 LW with built-in Pump
• 12" x 18" CCF Knee Mat or "Mags Mat"
• USGI Gen II ECWCS Parka
• Smart Wool Liner Tech Compatible Gloves
• Idahoan Loaded Mashed Potatoes (I actually ate these last night...oops..)
• Datrex 3600 Calorie Bar

I'm also looking at an MSR Pocket Rocket and some convertible pants... Any suggestions here? I'm currently looking at the Columbia Silver Ridge ones right now.
Last edited by Honeycutt on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
- Plato

AR / 9mm / Cake / What wire?

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

Honeycutt

Re: Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag, for your criticism and enjoymen

Post by Honeycutt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:36 pm

Not to be a nag, but I have a few views and no constructive criticism? I know I didn't cover everything. Don't be shy guys.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Lots of info, but now I see why you asked about the Exped Downmat sleeping pad, you need one! That's the main missing bit I see, the Ridgerest SOL are nice, but only give so much insulation from the ground. You might go the cheap/lightweight direction of a Reflectix pad in addition to it and be okay. Comfort isn't great but for $25 I got a 25ft roll of it at the local Menard's and made 4 sleeping pads out of it as supplementals.

Water. I love my Sawyer Mini's but the flow rate sucks! The Squeeze isn't much bigger or heavier and is way easier to use and doesn't require as much backflushing.

Fire. Heet. Are you talking a 32oz nalgene worth? If so, that's a lot! Probably far more than needed in a 72 hour situation. Do you have an alcohol stove to use with the Heet? If not, why not?

Clothing. For those very cold months, especially in windy conditions like I'm sure you get, grab a pair of cheap mittens that will fit over your gloves. I got a pair at Walmart a few years back that are Goretex fleece lined and were on clearance for $6! If it's super cold or I have to sit still, they're great. I have good circulation so most of the time I don't even need gloves unless I'm not moving.

Food is a tough one, I can relate. For my Get Home Bag I have field stripped MRE's because my goal is to get home as quickly as possible. For an INCH/BOB, I have Datrex, ER Bars, MRE's, and Mountain House to fill in the gaps. My thought is that they can all be used together depending on the situation and my current needs. Look at the Idahoan Potato packs, they can be prepared by just adding water to the packet, or taken out of it and stored in a zip lock which will do the same only you can stir it by massaging the water around in the potatoes. Vargo stove kind of eliminates the need for the Heet?

Med Kit. Looks pretty decent, I'd add a variety of NSAID's, Aspirin, and Tylenol personally. Also, maybe laminate a note card with dosages and combinations because there are limits to what OTC meds can be used together. The problem I've found with medical is that you can only go so far without taking away space that could be filled by food, water, or shelter items.

Comms, admin, navi looks as it should. I plan to add an emergency radio in the future. Something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KF ... ETSYULWSPW

Tools look good as well. I have a question though. How many times have you used your S-Biners, tarp, stakes, and your trekking poles to make shelter? This is actually fun to practice and if you vary your location, you can come up with different ideas using what's around you to supplement whether it be a fence, house, or trees.

Weapons. I don't knock weapon choices but Berettas are HEAVY! I have big hands and didn't much like em, if you do, more power to ya. lol

Overall, I think you're setup well enough to survive for your intended window. The only overall suggestion I can make is to have goals in mine and plan with your current kit accordingly. What I mean is, terrain, weather, and situationally dependent, you may or may not need what you've got. Me for example. My GHB is the mainstay to my entire system and its intended use is to get me home from about 50 miles or so in as short of time as possible. In a situation bad enough to need it I will be traveling at night and hiding during the day sleeping as little as possible as sleep can kill when you're your lone source of security. The quick as possible theme works well with my day to day function as I can stay on my feet for 12+ plus every day averaging around 15 miles a night at work. So, my entire kit is based on those goals which allows me to limit certain items and totally eliminate others. Look forward to seeing some pics, that's a pack I'd never seen before and I really like Snugpak's products!
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:39 pm

Dragon80 wrote:Lots of info, but now I see why you asked about the Exped Downmat sleeping pad, you need one! That's the main missing bit I see, the Ridgerest SOL are nice, but only give so much insulation from the ground. You might go the cheap/lightweight direction of a Reflectix pad in addition to it and be okay. Comfort isn't great but for $25 I got a 25ft roll of it at the local Menard's and made 4 sleeping pads out of it as supplementals.

I'm glad you see my dilemma lol. I've been doddling on REIs site, and after reading your experience with the Exped I think that's what I'll be going with. I noticed that Woods Walker uses one too, and that's good enough evidence for me that it's worth the price.

Water. I love my Sawyer Mini's but the flow rate sucks! The Squeeze isn't much bigger or heavier and is way easier to use and doesn't require as much backflushing.

I agree, the flow rate does suck. I actually have mine in line with my DromLite bag, and it works fairly well for that. 9 times out of 10 I'll use my Katadyn Hiker, the Sawyer is mostly a backup. I might swap it out for the Squeeze, I need to do more research.

Fire. Heet. Are you talking a 32oz nalgene worth? If so, that's a lot! Probably far more than needed in a 72 hour situation. Do you have an alcohol stove to use with the Heet? If not, why not?

A Nalgene, but not a 32oz one. It's a smaller one that I got from REI. It's a 4oz I believe. I do not have an alcohol stove, although I'm looking into it. I use the HEET for helping start fires, not so much fires for the Vargo, but camp fires where the wood isn't the driest. Instead of carrying gas to help, I carry HEET.

Clothing. For those very cold months, especially in windy conditions like I'm sure you get, grab a pair of cheap mittens that will fit over your gloves. I got a pair at Walmart a few years back that are Goretex fleece lined and were on clearance for $6! If it's super cold or I have to sit still, they're great. I have good circulation so most of the time I don't even need gloves unless I'm not moving.

Yeah... My hands do get a little cold when I'm being lethargic, I'll find something like you're talking about. Thanks for the reminder!

Food is a tough one, I can relate. For my Get Home Bag I have field stripped MRE's because my goal is to get home as quickly as possible. For an INCH/BOB, I have Datrex, ER Bars, MRE's, and Mountain House to fill in the gaps. My thought is that they can all be used together depending on the situation and my current needs. Look at the Idahoan Potato packs, they can be prepared by just adding water to the packet, or taken out of it and stored in a zip lock which will do the same only you can stir it by massaging the water around in the potatoes. Vargo stove kind of eliminates the need for the Heet?

Yes, I've struggled quite a bit over food. Some will say it isn't even needed, but man, I love to eat. I forgot about those potatoes, I'll pick some up and throw them in. I think I'm going to add a Datrex bar as well.

Med Kit. Looks pretty decent, I'd add a variety of NSAID's, Aspirin, and Tylenol personally. Also, maybe laminate a note card with dosages and combinations because there are limits to what OTC meds can be used together. The problem I've found with medical is that you can only go so far without taking away space that could be filled by food, water, or shelter items.

I feel as if it's fairly comprehensive as well. I'm sure some will disagree though. The kit comes with some OTC meds, I tried to find a breakdown of it, but I didn't find much on REIs site. I do think it could benefit from some more meds though. I'll be sure to make a card like you're talking about.

Comms, admin, navi looks as it should. I plan to add an emergency radio in the future. Something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KF ... ETSYULWSPW

Ahh, a radio! I completely forgot about that... With the weather we have it would be invaluable. I like the one you posted, I'll do some more digging on the subject.

Tools look good as well. I have a question though. How many times have you used your S-Biners, tarp, stakes, and your trekking poles to make shelter? This is actually fun to practice and if you vary your location, you can come up with different ideas using what's around you to supplement whether it be a fence, house, or trees.

Honestly... I've done that quite a bit lol. My mother is retired and actually lives in my house/takes care of it while I'm working, and she always ask what the hell I'm doing when I'm in the front yard "playing" as she calls it. I bought a larger tarp so I would have options, and it does not upset.

Weapons. I don't knock weapon choices but Berettas are HEAVY! I have big hands and didn't much like em, if you do, more power to ya. lol

I agree, it is quite heavy. I have larger hands as well, but most of my hand is finger, it's fairly comfortable for me. I have been looking into either a Glock 19, or a Sig P226, but that's just because I like guns.

Overall, I think you're setup well enough to survive for your intended window. The only overall suggestion I can make is to have goals in mine and plan with your current kit accordingly. What I mean is, terrain, weather, and situationally dependent, you may or may not need what you've got. Me for example. My GHB is the mainstay to my entire system and its intended use is to get me home from about 50 miles or so in as short of time as possible. In a situation bad enough to need it I will be traveling at night and hiding during the day sleeping as little as possible as sleep can kill when you're your lone source of security. The quick as possible theme works well with my day to day function as I can stay on my feet for 12+ plus every day averaging around 15 miles a night at work. So, my entire kit is based on those goals which allows me to limit certain items and totally eliminate others. Look forward to seeing some pics, that's a pack I'd never seen before and I really like Snugpak's products!

I should have mentioned in the OP, but I have a backup plan, for my backup plan, to back up my backup plan (there's a reference here ;)). On my map I have 3 BOLs marked out, with 3 routes for each, and I know my area VERY well, so I can always improvise. Most of my AO is the same in regards to terrain and weather.

In regards to the Ruck, I've never seen in person either. It had fairly good reviews, and was a really good price so I gave it a shot, and I'm glad I did. The pack is pretty close to full, and I plan to add more items(plus I'm looking for an excuse to buy a Kifaru).
Thanks you very much for the constructive criticism! Exactly what I was looking for. My responses are in bold.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Honeycutt wrote:
Dragon80 wrote:Lots of info, but now I see why you asked about the Exped Downmat sleeping pad, you need one! That's the main missing bit I see, the Ridgerest SOL are nice, but only give so much insulation from the ground. You might go the cheap/lightweight direction of a Reflectix pad in addition to it and be okay. Comfort isn't great but for $25 I got a 25ft roll of it at the local Menard's and made 4 sleeping pads out of it as supplementals.

I'm glad you see my dilemma lol. I've been doddling on REIs site, and after reading your experience with the Exped I think that's what I'll be going with. I noticed that Woods Walker uses one too, and that's good enough evidence for me that it's worth the price.

I agree, the flow rate does suck. I actually have mine in line with my DromLite bag, and it works fairly well for that. 9 times out of 10 I'll use my Katadyn Hiker, the Sawyer is mostly a backup. I might swap it out for the Squeeze, I need to do more research.

A Nalgene, but not a 32oz one. It's a smaller one that I got from REI. It's a 4oz I believe. I do not have an alcohol stove, although I'm looking into it. I use the HEET for helping start fires, not so much fires for the Vargo, but camp fires where the wood isn't the driest. Instead of carrying gas to help, I carry HEET.

Yeah... My hands do get a little cold when I'm being lethargic, I'll find something like you're talking about. Thanks for the reminder!

Yes, I've struggled quite a bit over food. Some will say it isn't even needed, but man, I love to eat. I forgot about those potatoes, I'll pick some up and throw them in. I think I'm going to add a Datrex bar as well.

I feel as if it's fairly comprehensive as well. I'm sure some will disagree though. The kit comes with some OTC meds, I tried to find a breakdown of it, but I didn't find much on REIs site. I do think it could benefit from some more meds though. I'll be sure to make a card like you're talking about.

Ahh, a radio! I completely forgot about that... With the weather we have it would be invaluable. I like the one you posted, I'll do some more digging on the subject.

Honestly... I've done that quite a bit lol. My mother is retired and actually lives in my house/takes care of it while I'm working, and she always ask what the hell I'm doing when I'm in the front yard "playing" as she calls it. I bought a larger tarp so I would have options, and it does not upset.

I agree, it is quite heavy. I have larger hands as well, but most of my hand is finger, it's fairly comfortable for me. I have been looking into either a Glock 19, or a Sig P226, but that's just because I like guns.

I should have mentioned in the OP, but I have a backup plan, for my backup plan, to back up my backup plan (there's a reference here ;)). On my map I have 3 BOLs marked out, with 3 routes for each, and I know my area VERY well, so I can always improvise. Most of my AO is the same in regards to terrain and weather.

In regards to the Ruck, I've never seen in person either. It had fairly good reviews, and was a really good price so I gave it a shot, and I'm glad I did. The pack is pretty close to full, and I plan to add more items(plus I'm looking for an excuse to buy a Kifaru).
Thanks you very much for the constructive criticism! Exactly what I was looking for. My responses are in bold.

On the Sawyer, I now mainly use a gravity system and putting the filter as close to the clean water bag as possible yields the best flow rate. Woods Walker is definitely IMO the real expert on the Exped pads. I'm not sure I've seen or known of anyone who used them more on this forum. Maybe I'm wrong on that. On the OTC meds, watch this video. This guy is a doctor and did a great break down for this exact thing. [YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07N-4B9-dgg[/YouTube]

On the pistol, Glock 19 all the way. I've owned Glock a total of about 14 years now with most other brands in between, now I only own a Glock other than the hand downs I have. Give us a report on the frame and suspension of the pack after you've given it some loaded use, I'll be interested to hear how it does as I'm always checking out new stuff.

Oh and the reason I mentioned an alcohol stove over the wood setup, just my personal perspective that is, is that it would allow you to have fuel whether any wood was available or not. Starting fires when the wood is frozen and wet really is difficult and we're not all as good as WW lol. I personally start to lose patience when I'm at my coldest and can get really frustrated with fire making. It's a weakness I'm aware of and a pretty natural one I think. I carry an Esbit with fuel tabs as alcohol can leak, I've seen that first hand. My old roommate had a nice alcohol setup and one small mistake left him without any fuel after his first meal. So the rest of the weekend we used my stove and ran out of fuel before our last meal because I didn't factor in cooking for two off of it. It worked more than well enough for me which was my plan, but his had a flaw which lead to him having a very limited source of fire to cook with. It was dead of winter, high humidity, and the ground resembled permafrost!

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Dragon80 wrote: snip
Dragon80 wrote: On the Sawyer, I now mainly use a gravity system and putting the filter as close to the clean water bag as possible yields the best flow rate. Woods Walker is definitely IMO the real expert on the Exped pads. I'm not sure I've seen or known of anyone who used them more on this forum. Maybe I'm wrong on that. On the OTC meds, watch this video. This guy is a doctor and did a great break down for this exact thing. [YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07N-4B9-dgg[/YouTube]

I have played with a friends Sawyer Gravity system, and you're right it's nice. The only thing I'm worried about would be the time consuming nature of setting it up and such. Now that I think about it, it isn't too time consuming, but I digress.

I'm patiently waiting on WW to give me his $.02, he's actually how I found the site. I found him on YouTube first and now I'm here.

I like that video, he explains things nicely, I'll work on the dosage card asap.

On the pistol, Glock 19 all the way. I've owned Glock a total of about 14 years now with most other brands in between, now I only own a Glock other than the hand downs I have. Give us a report on the frame and suspension of the pack after you've given it some loaded use, I'll be interested to hear how it does as I'm always checking out new stuff.

I've actually had a Glock 19 before (roughly 2 years ago), and it was a great gun. I'll probably end up with a Glock 19 and the Sig lol.

I should clarify, I've hiked with the pack once with about 20 lbs of gear, I imagine this loadout is 30+, so not a direct apples to apples comparison. The bag rode great, better than I was expecting to be honest. I have a week long trip planned at the end of February, and I'll be sure to do a report with a full winter load.

Oh and the reason I mentioned an alcohol stove over the wood setup, just my personal perspective that is, is that it would allow you to have fuel whether any wood was available or not. Starting fires when the wood is frozen and wet really is difficult and we're not all as good as WW lol. I personally start to lose patience when I'm at my coldest and can get really frustrated with fire making. It's a weakness I'm aware of and a pretty natural one I think. I carry an Esbit with fuel tabs as alcohol can leak, I've seen that first hand. My old roommate had a nice alcohol setup and one small mistake left him without any fuel after his first meal. So the rest of the weekend we used my stove and ran out of fuel before our last meal because I didn't factor in cooking for two off of it. It worked more than well enough for me which was my plan, but his had a flaw which lead to him having a very limited source of fire to cook with. It was dead of winter, high humidity, and the ground resembled permafrost!

I agree immensely on the frozen wood sucks ass point. I have a fairly long fuse most would say, but I'm the same way, I get rather frustrated when I'm cold and can't start a fire to literally save my life. I've looked into the Esbit and I choose the Vargo for weight savings. Like I said in my previous post the HEET works great for getting things started, but after that it's up to dry wood. Esbits are cheap, I think I'll pick one up to play with. It may make it into the kit. I would also like to try a Pocket Rocket just to make things easier.
Again, replies in bold
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:58 am

Edited with new additions and questions. Keep the input coming!

Honeycutt
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

moab

Post by moab » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:34 pm

Honeycutt wrote:     Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Today I present to you my bug out bag, for criticism and ogling. I know that it's not the best in the world, but it works for me, and most of the equipment is tested and has earned it's spot.

My gear consist of USGI equipment, with some civilian equipment in places where it's needed, or fits better. I choose to go with USGI items because of their affordability and bombproof nature. The civilian items were chosen because they fit the bill, and while maybe not "as tough", they still get the job done.

I live in northeastern Oklahoma where the weather is a little crazy, we can have 110° temperatures in the summer and 10° temperatures in the winter, with any kind of natural occurrence from A to B. We get a fair amount of rain, sometimes a fair amount of snow/ice, earthquakes, and let's not forget powerful thunderstorms that bring tornadoes. My kit was based around these things, and being able to be warm and dry, or cool and dry.

My kit is based around your average 72 hour bug out, with the ability to go longer if not for the lack of food. I've been hunting and fishing my entire life, so it something every happened where my bag is forced into an INCH bag, I forsee no issues.

For my backpack I choose the Snugpak Endurance 40, obviously this is a 40L (around 2400ci), rucksack. I picked it up about 6 months ago on sale at LAPG, and for the price I'm a big fan of it. It's roomy, well built, and has plenty of MOLLE webbing. Overall I couldn't be happier with the bag.

I take water procurement and storage very seriously, as well all know you absolutely need water to survive. Here in Oklahoma we have plenty of surface water in the form of lakes, ponds, creeks, and rivers, so honestly finding water isn't a huge issue. When I take the bag out to hike, or have a MBO I generally have both of the Nalgenes full, with the other containers empty.

• Nalgene 32oz Water Bottles (2)
 - Katadyn MP1 Tablets (2)
 - LMF Mini FireSteel
• MSR 2L DromLite Water Bag
 - MSR Hydration Kit
• Katadyn Hiker Water Filter
• Sawyer Mini Water Filter
• Katadyn MP1 Tablets (10)

For my fire module I've went with proven items that I have experience using. The Bics are a backup to my LMF FireSteel, and I've only used them a handful of times. I pride myself of my fire starting abilities, and always try the FireSteel first. You may be curious about the HEET, and rightfully so. It's used as fuel, or an accelerant.

• Bic Full Size Lighters in Ziploc (2)
• LMF FireSteel 2.0
• PJ Cotton Balls in Ziploc
• UST Tender Quick Tabs in Ziploc
• HEET in Nalgene Bottle

- All in Ziploc Bag

Shelter and Sleeping:

Exposure will get you before anything else, and for this reason I've went a little over board in this section. I want to be able to stay dry and warm about anything else, and so far with the items I've choose I've done just that. I've yet to have to use the full MSS, and usually I have the patrol bag, and bivy, but for the colder months the patrol bag is replaced with the intermediate bag. Approximately 3 weeks ago I was doing an overnighter with the intermediate bag, and it got something like 26° overnight, and I slept like a baby. I'm also hot natured, so it was a great nights sleep. I can't say enough good things about the MSS, although I do wish it was lighter.

• Etowah Outfitters 10' x 10' Ripstop Tarp with pre-tied 550 Cord Guy Lines (Woodland)
• USGI Gore-Tex Bivy Sack (Woodland)
• USGI Patrol Sleeping Bag (3-Season)
• USGI Intermediate Sleeping Bag (Winter)
• Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad
• 4' x 7' Tyvek Ground Mat
• MSR Ground Hog Titanium Stakes (4)
• Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blanket

Clothing:

I feel as if clothing is looked over in most bug out bags, but not in this one. I know that cotton is killer, therefore I only have cotton boxer briefs, I personally can't stand poly underwear. This system is not changed throughout the year just to keep things simpler. I wear a ball cap every day of the week, so I choose not to add another one, or a boonie type cap. I also EDC a pair of Oakley sunglasses, so those were left out as well.

Ninja edit: I purchased a Gen II ECWCS Parka on Friday, and I'm just waiting on it to arrive.

• USGI Fleece Watch Cap
• Buff Original Buff
• Columbia Steens Mountain Half-Zip Fleece Pullover (Olive Drab)
• Skivvy Rolls (2)
• Mechanix Wear M-Pack Gloves

- All in Outdoor Products Dry Sack

I struggled for quite a while on what food to prepare, and I'm still thinking about throwing I'm a Datrex or Mainstay bar so I have some more on the go food. Like stated earlier, give me your suggestions! Is this enough, or is this too much? I know that food in a BOB is kind of a preference thing, but my preference is to have a hot meal.

Ninja Edit: Has anyone seen single serve Siracha packets? I like tobasco, but I like Siracha more. Maybe I could toss some in a small Nalgene?

• Homeade MREs (2)
 - Brown Sugar and Maple Oatmeal Packets
 - PowerBars
 - Spam Single
 - Austin Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers
 - Knorr Red Beans and Rice
 - Spam Single
 - Knorr Cheddar Broccoli Noodles
 - Sunkist Tuna Single
 - Ziploc Bags
• Clif Crunch Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars (3)
• Jack Links Original Beef Jerky
• Coffee Kits (4)
 - Nestlé Coffee Creamer
 - Sweet N' Low Sweetner
 - Ziploc Bag
• Vargo Titanium Hexagon Wood Stove
• Stanley Adventure Series Camp Cook Set
• Snow Peak Titanium Spork

- Food in Outdoor Products Ditty Sack

First Aid and Hygiene:

Another section I need a little help in. I feel as if my FAK is enough, but I could be wrong. On of my lifelong friends is a combat medic, and he has taught me a few tricks of the trade, as well as helped me pick a few things out based on his experience. I do have basic first aid training as well.

*Augmented with:
 - Diarrhea Medication
 - SAM Splint XL
• Wet Ones Hand Wipes

For this module I went with simple items. The S6 Active is my EDC, and as I'm sure you know is a smart phone with plenty of apps and utilities.

• Samsung Galaxy S6 Active in Otterbox Defender Case
• Rite In The Rain Waterproof Notepad
• Rite In The Rain Waterproof Clicker Pen
• Sharpie Full Size Permanent Marker
• Suunto MC-2G Navigator Compass
• Laminated Location Specific Topographic Map

Lighting and Power:

I just recently picked up the Fenix PD35 at REI, and I love it. It's so freaking bright, and runs for quite a long time. I choose the headlamp so I could have battery modularity. Everything running on the same battery just seems like a good thing.

• Fenix PD35 LED Flashlight
• Fenix HL50 LED Headlamp
• Outdoor Tech Kodiak Waterproof Power Bank

- All in Ziploc Bag

Tools and Cordage:

Pretty simple here, I wanted tough reliable items that performed (hell, who doesn't?), the ESEE 6 was picked up at the Knife Connection on sale (still going on if you're interested), and I couldn't be happier with it. It batons amazingly, and boy oh boy does it hold an edge. The Carona was actually bought for $5 at a yard sale, so be jealous. I EDC a Benchmade 551 Griptilian by the way.

• ESEE Knives 6 Fixed Blade Knife
• Carona Folding Saw
• Leatherman Rebar Multitool
• Black Diamond Distance Z-Pole Trekking Poles
• Mini Fishing Kit
 - Plano Box
 - Plano Mini Bobbers (3)
• Nite Ize Figure 9 S-Biners (2)

Weapons and Accessories:

I have a family member that does CCW classes, and for Christmas he gave me free classes, and is paying for the remainder of the fees and such, so withing the next week or so I'll be going to do that. I've always wanted a Beretta and Top Gun had used ones for $500, so I jumped right on that. So far I've only shot the gun a couple of times, and I'm impressed.

Ninja edit: The 10/22 will not go on every bug out, unless necessary. I choose to add it to the list because when I go camping (which I use the bag for), I take it along for plinking and small game hunting.

- Custom Leather Sling

I know, I know, this thread is worthless without pics! I'm on a job right now, and won't be back until the end of the week, when I get home I will break everything down, and take some quality pictures for you guys. Let me know what you think, and let me know what I'm missing.

Thanks ZS, Honeycutt.

Edit: After reading around a bit I will be adding a couple of items to the pack. I will be adding some form of air mattress to the winter loadout, I need to do some research on this. In the same essence I'm sick of using pine boughs to rest my knees on, so after work I'll be searching for a foam pad and some Gorilla Tape to make a "Mags Mat".

Second Edit: I did some research last night, read around some, looked at about 20 pages of BOBs on here, and I will be adding a couple of things. My pack is already pretty full, and I don't want to utilize the MOLLE more than I have to, so I could very well be looking at a Kifaru soon. They actually are only about 30 miles from where I'm working now, and I may stop by on Friday to place an order, we shall see. I did buy a couple of things last night and am planning to buy, as well as made one, here they are.

• Exped SynMat 9 LW with built-in Pump
• 12" x 18" CCF Knee Mat or "Mags Mat"
• USGI Gen II ECWCS Parka
• Smart Wool Liner Tech Compatible Gloves
• Datrex 3600 Calorie Bar

I'm also looking at an MSR Pocket Rocket and some convertible pants... Any suggestions here? I'm currently looking at the Columbia Silver Ridge ones right now.

I really like your loadout. You've actually put a lot of time and thought into it. So it's no surprise it's turned out well. You've also done a good job of pointing out your AO and it's requirements. Most don't do that. So I applaud you on that.

I'd say go glock. And a set of small parts should they fail. I don't know what those are on my Glock. And I don't even have them yet. But I do for my AK. Firing pin, extractor, springs etc. I also didn't notice a cleaning kit. But if you go glock... lol. Just like an AK. USe a shoelace and some motor oil. You'll be fine. Kidding. Sort of.

I'd also say consider leather gloves and wool liners. Fort Bragg Surplus has some nice ones for fairly cheap. For when your dealing with hot pots and handles. And they will wear better than a pair of mech's. I have both. So I see the appeal. :)

I'd also consider a pair of goretex pants to go with your goretex jacket. US or UK GI surplus is great. Just curious. What color is your camo. You might give that some thought if you think you might want to remain hidden at some point during your bug out or inch type scenario. One camo does not fit all environments. But one camo is better than multiple camos. As you'll never blend in then. Stick with one that you can augment with local foliage.

I really like the Columbia clothing stuff. Especially their pants. As well as REI's sahara brand. And that fleece you got is great. If you want thicker/warmer look at a USMC USGI black fleece jacket. There's a write up in this section on them. But they are substantially thicker packed. Search ebay for Polartec 300 fleece jacket. They are cheap if you were normal sizes.

I think I saw a long knife, a saw and a leatherman. Good combo. I'd go with a smaller knife. But that ESEE 6 is a good chopper. I have the ESEE 5 but am actively looking at a 4 inch blade. Just to big for carrying IMHO.

I don't know much about the Exped mat. But also look at Big Agnes insulated mats too. But I'll have to check out WW's posts on those. Gotta link?

My only concern with your set up is weight. I think you'll be surprised how much all that weighs. You might consider the lighter weight MH meals. They pack a lot for very slight weight. Maybe cutting all your water filters for one Sawyer Squirt? A lighter main knife? A lighter weight ECWCS jacket? I assume you got an aftermarket Dintex version. Which is a lot heavier (but tougher) weight than the USGI. Maybe a down bag for the MSS? But keep the bivy. That thing is bombproof and can be used as a shelter all by itself.

Once you get that thing on a scale you'll know whether you need to cut anything. And that's when the real fun begins. Swapping out heavier USGI stuff for lighter commercial stuff. Their are several lighter alternatives to much of your gear. But again, a great loadout. I wouldn't think twice about leaving home with it.

All in all a GREAT load out, Honeycutt!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Robbie in ME

Post by Robbie in ME » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:44 pm

I agree with Moab on the sleeping bag. Go with a Dri-Down filled bag and save a TON of weight and volume. I have the Kuhl convertible pants, they're decent but I wear the Kuhl Radykl vented pants way more often. They're the most comfortable pants I've ever owned. I have Mammut soft shell pants for colder months, they're wind and water resistant and I'll be adding a DWR to them I think.

I'd compare that Synmat's weight to a Downmat. The price difference isn't that much and the weight is. I'll never go synthetic again unless I'm headed to the jungle or the Pacific NW in rainy season....

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:15 pm

moab wrote:
Honeycutt wrote:snip

I really like your loadout. You've actually put a lot of time and thought into it. So it's no surprise it's turned out well. You've also done a good job of pointing out your AO and it's requirements. Most don't do that. So I applaud you on that.

I'd say go glock. And a set of small parts should they fail. I don't know what those are on my Glock. And I don't even have them yet. But I do for my AK. Firing pin, extractor, springs etc. I also didn't notice a cleaning kit. But if you go glock... lol. Just like an AK. USe a shoelace and some motor oil. You'll be fine. Kidding. Sort of.

I'd also say consider leather gloves and wool liners. Fort Bragg Surplus has some nice ones for fairly cheap. For when your dealing with hot pots and handles. And they will wear better than a pair of mech's. I have both. So I see the appeal. :)

I'd also consider a pair of goretex pants to go with your goretex jacket. US or UK GI surplus is great. Just curious. What color is your camo. You might give that some thought if you think you might want to remain hidden at some point during your bug out or inch type scenario. One camo does not fit all environments. But one camo is better than multiple camos. As you'll never blend in then. Stick with one that you can augment with local foliage.

I really like the Columbia clothing stuff. Especially their pants. As well as REI's sahara brand. And that fleece you got is great. If you want thicker/warmer look at a USMC USGI black fleece jacket. There's a write up in this section on them. But they are substantially thicker packed. Search ebay for Polartec 300 fleece jacket. They are cheap if you were normal sizes.

I think I saw a long knife, a saw and a leatherman. Good combo. I'd go with a smaller knife. But that ESEE 6 is a good chopper. I have the ESEE 5 but am actively looking at a 4 inch blade. Just to big for carrying IMHO.

I don't know much about the Exped mat. But also look at Big Agnes insulated mats too. But I'll have to check out WW's posts on those. Gotta link?

My only concern with your set up is weight. I think you'll be surprised how much all that weighs. You might consider the lighter weight MH meals. They pack a lot for very slight weight. Maybe cutting all your water filters for one Sawyer Squirt? A lighter main knife? A lighter weight ECWCS jacket? I assume you got an aftermarket Dintex version. Which is a lot heavier (but tougher) weight than the USGI. Maybe a down bag for the MSS? But keep the bivy. That thing is bombproof and can be used as a shelter all by itself.

Once you get that thing on a scale you'll know whether you need to cut anything. And that's when the real fun begins. Swapping out heavier USGI stuff for lighter commercial stuff. Their are several lighter alternatives to much of your gear. But again, a great loadout. I wouldn't think twice about leaving home with it.

Thanks you very much moab! Your INCH kit has kind of been an inspiration to me. I appreciate the kinds words as well. You are correct, I tried my best to put together a good kit in my means, and I'm always open to learning. I also like to give the most information possible for y'all to be able to give me solid, informed advice.

I probably will go with another Glock. I had one for a brief period and enjoyed it. The Beretta makes a nice bed-side gun too. I'd also like to look at a Sig before I make my choice. I also think a small set of parts is a good idea, thanks for the tip!

Hmm, now that you mention it I've used my Stanley set on an improvised grill a few times, and it always gets toasty, I usually grab it with my Leatherman. I'll look into those gloves and liners, I did buy the smart Wool lines, and I'd like to try them out first.

Yes, Gore-Tex pants are definitely on my list. I'm still looking right now, I'll probably go with the ECWCS, but I'm open to suggestions. Most of my camo is Woodland, I'd like MultiCam someday, but not yet. Woodland works fairly well in my environment.

Yes, I'm a fan of it too! Good news on the pants, I'll go try some on when I get the chance. On the thicker fleece, that won't be needed. I'm very hot natured and the cold doesn't affect me as much as most. Generally in the winter I'll be in my Fleece beanie, the pullover, and the Mechanix gloves, well when I'm moving at least.

I kind of agree on the smaller knife point, the 6 works well for what I use it for though. Personally it carries well for me. I like bug knives, but who knows, maybe I'm compensating for something.

I'm still doing research myself on this subject. I don't have any links, but I've seen him mention the mat a few times.

I'm assuming it will be around 35lbs or so, which isn't a huge issue for me. I guess a little about my physique is in order. I'm 24, 6' 1" and around 240lbs, I run every morning before work (at least 3-5 miles), and I lift weights everyday after work. I have a smaller Osprey pack that I use for day hikes that's about 15lbs, and even in my longest day hikes it doesn't bother me. I'd feel comfortable carrying upwards of 75lbs if needed. My only issue is my knees, I blew one out in high school, and the other isn't the best. This is remedied with Knee Braces, and it they work well. I will definitely be looking at ways to drop weight though.

Again, thank you for the keen advice moab!
Robbie in ME wrote:single sriracha hot sauce
http://www.minimus.biz/Ass-Kickin-Srira ... -3100.aspx
Thank you so freaking much! Finally some invaluable help!
Dragon80 wrote: I agree with Moab on the sleeping bag. Go with a Dri-Down filled bag and save a TON of weight and volume. I have the Kuhl convertible pants, they're decent but I wear the Kuhl Radykl vented pants way more often. They're the most comfortable pants I've ever owned. I have Mammut soft shell pants for colder months, they're wind and water resistant and I'll be adding a DWR to them I think.

I'd compare that Synmat's weight to a Downmat. The price difference isn't that much and the weight is. I'll never go synthetic again unless I'm headed to the jungle or the Pacific NW in rainy season....
I agree with both of you, I need to find a lighter bag for the winter, I understand that winter loads are inevitably heavier, but the Black Bag does weigh a ton.

Thanks for the tip on the pants, I'll look into those as well. I've considered Patagonia for the colder months as well, and idea on those?

It's heavier from what REIs site says, not a bunch though. I sure do like the down stuff... I need to research even more, it's never ending!
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Honeycutt wrote:
moab wrote:
Honeycutt wrote:snip

Thanks you very much moab! Your INCH kit has kind of been an inspiration to me. I appreciate the kinds words as well. You are correct, I tried my best to put together a good kit in my means, and I'm always open to learning. I also like to give the most information possible for y'all to be able to give me solid, informed advice.

I probably will go with another Glock. I had one for a brief period and enjoyed it. The Beretta makes a nice bed-side gun too. I'd also like to look at a Sig before I make my choice. I also think a small set of parts is a good idea, thanks for the tip!

Hmm, now that you mention it I've used my Stanley set on an improvised grill a few times, and it always gets toasty, I usually grab it with my Leatherman. I'll look into those gloves and liners, I did buy the smart Wool lines, and I'd like to try them out first.

Yes, Gore-Tex pants are definitely on my list. I'm still looking right now, I'll probably go with the ECWCS, but I'm open to suggestions. Most of my camo is Woodland, I'd like MultiCam someday, but not yet. Woodland works fairly well in my environment.

Yes, I'm a fan of it too! Good news on the pants, I'll go try some on when I get the chance. On the thicker fleece, that won't be needed. I'm very hot natured and the cold doesn't affect me as much as most. Generally in the winter I'll be in my Fleece beanie, the pullover, and the Mechanix gloves, well when I'm moving at least.

I kind of agree on the smaller knife point, the 6 works well for what I use it for though. Personally it carries well for me. I like bug knives, but who knows, maybe I'm compensating for something.

I'm still doing research myself on this subject. I don't have any links, but I've seen him mention the mat a few times.

I'm assuming it will be around 35lbs or so, which isn't a huge issue for me. I guess a little about my physique is in order. I'm 24, 6' 1" and around 240lbs, I run every morning before work (at least 3-5 miles), and I lift weights everyday after work. I have a smaller Osprey pack that I use for day hikes that's about 15lbs, and even in my longest day hikes it doesn't bother me. I'd feel comfortable carrying upwards of 75lbs if needed. My only issue is my knees, I blew one out in high school, and the other isn't the best. This is remedied with Knee Braces, and it they work well. I will definitely be looking at ways to drop weight though.

Again, thank you for the keen advice moab!
Robbie in ME wrote:single sriracha hot sauce
http://www.minimus.biz/Ass-Kickin-Srira ... -3100.aspx
Thank you so freaking much! Finally some invaluable help!
Dragon80 wrote: I agree with Moab on the sleeping bag. Go with a Dri-Down filled bag and save a TON of weight and volume. I have the Kuhl convertible pants, they're decent but I wear the Kuhl Radykl vented pants way more often. They're the most comfortable pants I've ever owned. I have Mammut soft shell pants for colder months, they're wind and water resistant and I'll be adding a DWR to them I think.

I agree with both of you, I need to find a lighter bag for the winter, I understand that winter loads are inevitably heavier, but the Black Bag does weigh a ton.

Thanks for the tip on the pants, I'll look into those as well. I've considered Patagonia for the colder months as well, and idea on those?

It's heavier from what REIs site says, not a bunch though. I sure do like the down stuff... I need to research even more, it's never ending!

Research can be never ending! I own a Patagonia down jacket but that's it so I really know nothing on the pants. My experience with pants is in the tactical lines, USGI, Kuhl, Mammut, and Fjallraven. I had the MSS but it's not meant for backpacking, overbuilt and underperforming. I replaced my MSS with a Kelty Cosmic 0 degree synthetic bag saved pounds of weight and still had a 5lb bag. I hadn't heard of dri-down or hydrophobic coatings yet, but the bag was only $99. I ended up spending a lot more for my bag, but it's very well worth it. Lightly stuffed it's the size of a watermelon and weighs 2lb 8oz for the long version.

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Dragon80 wrote:

Research can be never ending! I own a Patagonia down jacket but that's it so I really know nothing on the pants. My experience with pants is in the tactical lines, USGI, Kuhl, Mammut, and Fjallraven. I had the MSS but it's not meant for backpacking, overbuilt and underperforming. I replaced my MSS with a Kelty Cosmic 0 degree synthetic bag saved pounds of weight and still had a 5lb bag. I hadn't heard of dri-down or hydrophobic coatings yet, but the bag was only $99. I ended up spending a lot more for my bag, but it's very well worth it. Lightly stuffed it's the size of a watermelon and weighs 2lb 8oz for the long version.

With new gear coming out all the time the research will never end! :evil:

I'll look into those pants as well. I'll be looking at bags all night long.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

Dragon80

Post by Dragon80 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Check your PM's, I sent you a link to the pad you're looking for now.

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Dragon80 wrote:Check your PM's, I sent you a link to the pad you're looking for now.
Checked and responded.

Back onto the bag subject. What about Wiggys? They have a 0° rated bag that weighs 4lbs. Not a bad price, but not cheap either. I think that in conjunction with my Bivy would work great. I like their 35° rated overbag as well, it would be a nice replacement for the Patrol Bag.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:41 pm

+++great load out, description & analysis.

The current edited list seems kinda weighty, maybe over the 35 pounds you noted. Please do an actual full load out weight measurement and let us know.

---I used to be a cotton underwear/socks rules for comfort kind of guy.. But in reality my feet and nuts got really funky in summer from the constant sweat drench underwear and socks.
Boxer briefs, try the Ex Offico Give and Go boxer briefs, THE BEST poly underwear ever. About $20 a unit but 10x more comfortable than cotton and last a long time. Easy to clean under suboptimal conditions too.

+ on different weight wool socks, never tried the brand you mention. I like quality wool (smartwool or comparable) socks weighted for the particular season and my feet are always comfortable and dry now.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:46 pm

Pictures or it didn't happen....

Just kidding. My brain just doesn't feel like reading. Seems heavy though.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:10 pm

JackBauer wrote:+++great load out, description & analysis.

The current edited list seems kinda weighty, maybe over the 35 pounds you noted. Please do an actual full load out weight measurement and let us know.

---I used to be a cotton underwear/socks rules for comfort kind of guy.. But in reality my feet and nuts got really funky in summer from the constant sweat drench underwear and socks.
Boxer briefs, try the Ex Offico Give and Go boxer briefs, THE BEST poly underwear ever. About $20 a unit but 10x more comfortable than cotton and last a long time. Easy to clean under suboptimal conditions too.

+ on different weight wool socks, never tried the brand you mention. I like quality wool (smartwool or comparable) socks weighted for the particular season and my feet are always comfortable and dry now.
Thank you for the kind words. As soon as everything is finalized, or "almost right", I will update the OP with a weight breakdown.

I just checked out those ExOfficio underwear, and the do look nice. Excellent design, that actually defeats my cotton for "breathing room" justification. Thanks for the tip, I just bought a pair to try them out. Not a bad price.

The socks are just a basic wool blend work sock from Walmart. They've always worked for me during 12-14 hour shifts. I'll do some testing when I get the chance, I wonder if I can come up with an excuse for some Smart Wool, Thorlo, or WigWams...

JeeperCreeper wrote:Pictures or it didn't happen....

Just kidding. My brain just doesn't feel like reading. Seems heavy though.
Yeah... I know how you feel on the pics. I apologize for that. I'm waiting to get a little better idea of the final kit before I take the time to take some good pictures.

I'm sure it is heavy, the more I think about it the more I believe that you and JackBauer are correct. As soon as I get the chance I will be updating the kit, seeing how I handle the weight, and adjusting the OP accordingly.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:24 am

You might want protectctive gear like a dust mask goggles sunglasses that kind of thing. You might want the option to have some sort of bright gear in case you get smeared off the road by some panicked driver doing their own bug out.

If you carry tick repellent. Carry tweezers.

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:30 am

drop bear wrote:You might want protectctive gear like a dust mask goggles sunglasses that kind of thing. You might want the option to have some sort of bright gear in case you get smeared off the road by some panicked driver doing their own bug out.

If you carry tick repellent. Carry tweezers.
There are a few N95 Mask is the FAK, and I EDC a pair of Oakleys. Hmm... I need to work on something bright, orange bandana?

Yes, there are also tweezers in the FAK.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

PWA2600
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/28 Weeks Later.
The Walking Dead TV Series.
Resident Evil Series.
Others.

Post by PWA2600 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Honeycutt wrote:     Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Today I present to you my bug out bag, for criticism and ogling. I know that it's not the best in the world, but it works for me, and most of the equipment is tested and has earned it's spot.

JSUK, I added locations of your bag that I imagined each item would be placed; obviously you would know better than I regarding this. I also added additional organization/break-down of what I would use for a meal each day.

From a video I watched on YouTube, it looks to be a nice lightweight pack; I like 500D type packs for such things as short outings. The things that I observed about the pack which I like are that Snugpak includes a rain cover, the shock cord on the front of the pack, and that they included Velcro webbing keepers. Additionally the almost hidden pocket under the lid is a good idea, after opening the lid, if hung open the user could have priority items inside; I also like the deep side pockets for Nalgene’s.
Based from what I have read of your gear, and considering I have the same or similar items, I know if you were to carry everything you listed your pack would be over 25lbs.

The things I personally would not like about the pack includes the following:

No internal frame sheet, nor can one be added (from what I saw)
Internal pocket for a hydration bladder is on the side, as opposed to the spine of the pack, which from my experience requires additional work in distributing weight equally. Lastly is the hipbelt is non-removable/upgradeable.

I have these 9L dry sacks, and like them for their size, I have had no issues so far with any of them; although from what I have read elsewhere, a few owners stated the release valve broke making the sack unusable. Just be mindful I guess.

• Nalgene 32oz Water Bottles (2) (BAG)

- I would get rid of this item, and replace it with a SS canteen or other SS bottle.

- Katadyn MP1 Tablets (2) (PSK/EDC)

- 12 tabs total, will these be dispersed in the event you need to drop the pack for whatever reason (all eggs in one basket).

- LMF Mini FireSteel (EDC)
• MSR 2L DromLite Water Bag (BAG)

- I have never used a bladder such as this, although I know they make a gravity style filtration system using their dromedary bladders. Would you place this in the hydration sleeve in the pack, or do you plan on lashing it to the abundant MOLLE webbing?

- MSR Hydration Kit (BAG)

- What model of hydration kit is this? I have the Sweetwater system, and it has worked flawlessly so far (5 years old) with annual maintenance.

• Katadyn Hiker Water Filter (BAG)

- I have never used the Katadyn Hiker, but using a Google search, the reviews show it to be a solid filter (nice choice). I also have the Katadyn pocket, and alternate its use with the Sweetwater.

• Sawyer Mini Water Filter (EDC maybe? Not sure if small enough)

- I want to get either the Sawyer Mini, or an AuqaMira Frontier Pro; aside from the negatives with its flow rate, what is your experience with it?

• Katadyn MP1 Tablets (10) (EDC/BAG)

- What size is the dry sack? Is it really necessary to keep products used in water to stay dry? Remove?

• Bic Full Size Lighters in Ziploc (2) (EDC/BAG)

• LMF FireSteel 2.0 (BAG)

• PJ Cotton Balls in Ziploc (BAG)

Would it be better and less mess, if put in an Altoids tin?

• UST Tender Quick Tabs in Ziploc (EDC)

• HEET in Nalgene Bottle (BAG)

- I have never used an alcohol stove, so I do not know, but are Nalgene squirt bottles prone to leakage?

- All in Ziploc Bag

Shelter and Sleeping:

• Etowah Outfitters 10' x 10' Ripstop Tarp with pre-tied 550 Cord Guy Lines (Woodland) (BAG)

Is this the Ultralight or standard tarp?

• USGI Gore-Tex Bivy Sack (Woodland) (Bottom of BAG)
• USGI Patrol Sleeping Bag (3-Season) (Bottom of BAG)
• USGI Intermediate Sleeping Bag (Winter) (Bottom of BAG)

Complete MSS is anywhere from 8 – 10 lbs., I may just weigh mine sometime to get an accurate weight.

• Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad (Top or under Top flap)

Originally was going to get one of these pads, I like its light weight (good choice).

• 4' x 7' Tyvek Ground Mat - Good choice
• MSR Ground Hog Titanium Stakes (4) - Good choice
• Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blanket - Good choice

I have this blanket, and it works, but I have noticed that were the folds/creases are; it looks as if there is wear/weakening of the material. Not sure how long the SUB will last overall. I think I may go purchase SOL’s new heavy duty version that was mentioned in my GHB thread.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/sur ... anket.html

Is the carrier you refer to the one which is used on the MOLLE rifleman rucksack set? If so, does that actually fit and not make your pack look ridiculous/awkward?

Clothing:

• USGI Fleece Watch Cap – Color?
• Buff Original Buff – Neck gaiter
• Columbia Steens Mountain Half-Zip Fleece Pullover (Olive Drab) – Nice looking fleece, really sharp!
• Skivvy Rolls (2)
• Mechanix Wear M-Pack Gloves - Winter/cold weather gloves + liners?

- All in Outdoor Products Dry Sack – Size?

What is a typical outfit that you wear on a normal day? I wonder if you might consider trousers with ability to add kneepads, in lieu of a mags mat?

Some questions that need to be answered would be; dependent upon the number or routes to your BOL, which is the furthest? What type of terrain would you be traversing; arid, forest, mountainous? The weight of your pack for each season, and your physical fitness level/body composition.

What is your plan or goals when reaching your BOL? Are you going to have an existing structure with supplies there? Are you going to need to restart civilization at your BOL? You will need to have additional food if it will truly take you three days to either get there; or if you plan on staying at your BOL for more than three days. I understand you stated you have been hunting and fishing your entire life, but does your BOL support such a system of food procurement? Competition?

• Homeade MREs (2)
- Brown Sugar and Maple Oatmeal Packets (Breakfast/Qty)
- PowerBars (Snack/Qty)
- Spam Single (Lunch/Qty)
- Austin Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers (Snack/Qty)
- Knorr Red Beans and Rice (Lunch/Qty)
- Spam Single (Dinner/Qty)
- Knorr Cheddar Broccoli Noodles (Dinner/Qty)
- Sunkist Tuna Single (Dinner/Qty)
- Ziploc Bags

• Clif Crunch Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars (3) (Not really a meal replacement item, more of a snack in my opinion)

• Jack Links Original Beef Jerky – (Snack) Size of package

(B,L,D/day or Two per day, additional electrolyte replenishment options?)

• Coffee Kits (4)(B,D – maybe add additional VIA’s)
- Nestlé Coffee Creamer
- Sweet N' Low Sweetner
- Ziploc Bag
• Vargo Titanium Hexagon Wood Stove – I have the same one, Great Choice!
• Stanley Adventure Series Camp Cook Set - Everytime I goto Walmart I tinker with this, how do you like it?
• Snow Peak Titanium Spork – In the near future I plan on upgrading my flatware with Ti.

- Food in Outdoor Products Ditty Sack – Are there separate dry sacks for each day/meal?

First Aid and Hygiene:

No experience with this FAK, and after looking at the MFG website, the contents were not listed. I have AMK kits, with additional GSW products. I do not see any foot care products, or know what OTC meds you have.

*Augmented with:
 - Diarrhea Medication
 - SAM Splint XL
• Wet Ones Hand Wipes

• Samsung Galaxy S6 Active in Otterbox Defender Case – Good choice
• Rite In The Rain Waterproof Notepad – Good choice – size?
• Rite In The Rain Waterproof Clicker Pen – Good choice
• Sharpie Full Size Permanent Marker – Good choice
• Suunto MC-2G Navigator Compass – Good choice
• Laminated Location Specific Topographic Map – Good choice

All great choices for navigation and communications, possible include a GPS unit and a shortwave radio. My suggestion is to verify the SW radio will work wherever your BOL is though.

Lighting and Power:

• Fenix PD35 LED Flashlight – 850 max Lumens/2 CR123’s or 18650 rechargeable - Awesome light
• Fenix HL50 LED Headlamp – 365 max Lumens/1 CR123 - Awesome light
• Outdoor Tech Kodiak Waterproof Power Bank – 6000 mAh – Nice!

- All in Ziploc Bag

Tools and Cordage:

• ESEE Knives 6 Fixed Blade Knife - Nice
• Carona Folding Saw - Nice
• Leatherman Rebar Multitool – 17 tools, nice MT, is it SS or black?
• Black Diamond Distance Z-Pole Trekking Poles – Nice, I only use cheap Walmart poles
• Mini Fishing Kit
- Plano Box
- Plano Mini Bobbers (3)
• Nite Ize Figure 9 S-Biners (2) – Are these for the Tarp/clothesline?

Weapons and Accessories:- Good to Go

- Custom Leather Sling

Thanks ZS, Honeycutt.

• Exped SynMat 9 LW with built-in Pump - I have the Exped Downmat 7M, which has worked great for winter camping.
• 12" x 18" CCF Knee Mat or "Mags Mat" – knee pads?
• USGI Gen II ECWCS Parka – Camouflage pattern?
• Smart Wool Liner Tech Compatible Gloves – the SW liners and mittens looks warm and comfortable; what model did you get?
• Datrex 3600 Calorie Bar – I have always bought and ate Mainstay brand rations; not really sure how valuable these type of rations will be for an active caloric burning person.

I have numerous stoves, and try and get a small burner that can nestle in your Stanley cookset if possible.

I hope this helps you.
"You do not truly own anything that you can't carry in both arms at a dead run"
- Robert A. Heinlein

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith"
-2 Timothy 4:7

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
- Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:44 pm

PWA2600 wrote:

JSUK, I added locations of your bag that I imagined each item would be placed; obviously you would know better than I regarding this. I also added additional organization/break-down of what I would use for a meal each day.

From a video I watched on YouTube, it looks to be a nice lightweight pack; I like 500D type packs for such things as short outings. The things that I observed about the pack which I like are that Snugpak includes a rain cover, the shock cord on the front of the pack, and that they included Velcro webbing keepers. Additionally the almost hidden pocket under the lid is a good idea, after opening the lid, if hung open the user could have priority items inside; I also like the deep side pockets for Nalgene’s.
Based from what I have read of your gear, and considering I have the same or similar items, I know if you were to carry everything you listed your pack would be over 25lbs.

The things I personally would not like about the pack includes the following:

No internal frame sheet, nor can one be added (from what I saw)
Internal pocket for a hydration bladder is on the side, as opposed to the spine of the pack, which from my experience requires additional work in distributing weight equally. Lastly is the hipbelt is non-removable/upgradeable.

First off, thank you for taking the time to make a large post. You are very close on your guesses for the location of the items. You were also close on the meal guesses, but no cookie (pun intended), I will explain below.

Your points on the pack are pretty much the reasons I choose it, it was also on sale and that kind of forced my hand :D. The rain cover comes in handy, most of the time I just use my poncho which is kept in the top lid for easy access (you're rather clever, maybe we just think alike). I also know it's over 25lbs, some items are taken out, and some are added to adjust to the seasons accordingly. Once I am fairly certain the bag won't be changing much I plan to restructure the OP, as well as adding pictures.

On the cons of the pack, I agree. Eventually I will be rocking a Kifaru, but for now it is what it is. The lack of a framesheet for me isn't a huge issue, it is an issue however. The bag does carry well with the loads I've had in it so far.

I have these 9L dry sacks, and like them for their size, I have had no issues so far with any of them; although from what I have read elsewhere, a few owners stated the release valve broke making the sack unusable. Just be mindful I guess.

I've read of the issues you speak of with the sack, I will for sure be mindful of them, no issues yet, fingers crossed.

• Nalgene 32oz Water Bottles (2) (BAG)

- I would get rid of this item, and replace it with a SS canteen or other SS bottle.

The USGI Canteen is kept in its cover, on my belt when away from the pack, the cover has the extra MP1 tabs, and the FireSteel as backups, of if I get separated from my pack. I have been eyeing the Kleen Kanteen though.

- Katadyn MP1 Tablets (2) (PSK/EDC)

- 12 tabs total, will these be dispersed in the event you need to drop the pack for whatever reason (all eggs in one basket).

I keep 2 of the tabs in the Canteen cover, and the other 10 are with the rest of the water filtration gear.

- LMF Mini FireSteel (EDC)
• MSR 2L DromLite Water Bag (BAG)

- I have never used a bladder such as this, although I know they make a gravity style filtration system using their dromedary bladders. Would you place this in the hydration sleeve in the pack, or do you plan on lashing it to the abundant MOLLE webbing?

- MSR Hydration Kit (BAG)

- What model of hydration kit is this? I have the Sweetwater system, and it has worked flawlessly so far (5 years old) with annual maintenance.

I'm a big fan of the bag, it is just that a bag, not originally a hydration system. I've added the MSR hydration kit, which is just a tube and bite valve to make it a hydration system. As of now it's kept in a sleeve, if weight distribution is an issue I'll figure something else out.

• Katadyn Hiker Water Filter (BAG)

- I have never used the Katadyn Hiker, but using a Google search, the reviews show it to be a solid filter (nice choice). I also have the Katadyn pocket, and alternate its use with the Sweetwater.

• Sawyer Mini Water Filter (EDC maybe? Not sure if small enough)

- I want to get either the Sawyer Mini, or an AuqaMira Frontier Pro; aside from the negatives with its flow rate, what is your experience with it?

The Hiker is a nice system, the reviews don't lie. The Sawyer isn't an EDC item, it's in the tube of my bladder, and when not there is with the rest of the gear. The Sawyer is nice, and while I use it as a backup it works fine as plan A. The flow rate isn't a big issue because of the way I use it. If your on the fence, don't be. It's a great filter.

• Katadyn MP1 Tablets (10) (EDC/BAG)

- What size is the dry sack? Is it really necessary to keep products used in water to stay dry? Remove?

It isn't a dry sack, just a ditty sack, or a stuff sack. Basic nylon with a drawstring that I have replaced with 550. I'm not sure on the size, it's small, maybe 3L?

• Bic Full Size Lighters in Ziploc (2) (EDC/BAG)

• LMF FireSteel 2.0 (BAG)

• PJ Cotton Balls in Ziploc (BAG)

Would it be better and less mess, if put in an Altoids tin?

Very possible, but I have 30 or so in there, and I'm not sure how they would fit in an Altoids tin. I'll see what I can do though.

• UST Tender Quick Tabs in Ziploc (EDC)

• HEET in Nalgene Bottle (BAG)

- I have never used an alcohol stove, so I do not know, but are Nalgene squirt bottles prone to leakage?

I've never had issues with it leaking.

- All in Ziploc Bag

Shelter and Sleeping:

• Etowah Outfitters 10' x 10' Ripstop Tarp with pre-tied 550 Cord Guy Lines (Woodland) (BAG)

Is this the Ultralight or standard tarp?

It is the standard 1.9oz Ripstop tarp.

• USGI Gore-Tex Bivy Sack (Woodland) (Bottom of BAG)
• USGI Patrol Sleeping Bag (3-Season) (Bottom of BAG)
• USGI Intermediate Sleeping Bag (Winter) (Bottom of BAG)

Complete MSS is anywhere from 8 – 10 lbs., I may just weigh mine sometime to get an accurate weight.

• Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad (Top or under Top flap)

Originally was going to get one of these pads, I like its light weight (good choice).

The pad is definitely a nice pad. It's kept under the top flap. I will be adding a thicker pad for the winter months as well.

• 4' x 7' Tyvek Ground Mat - Good choice
• MSR Ground Hog Titanium Stakes (4) - Good choice
• Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blanket - Good choice

I have this blanket, and it works, but I have noticed that were the folds/creases are; it looks as if there is wear/weakening of the material. Not sure how long the SUB will last overall. I think I may go purchase SOL’s new heavy duty version that was mentioned in my GHB thread.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/sur ... anket.html

I've actually noticed the same thing on the blanket, mine isn't all that bad, but it could be problematic.

Is the carrier you refer to the one which is used on the MOLLE rifleman rucksack set? If so, does that actually fit and not make your pack look ridiculous/awkward?

Yes, that's the one. Yes... It does look ridiculous, and it's somewhat awkward, I may drop it and add some MOLLE Pouches for gear so I can shove my bag and bivy in the bottom.

Clothing:

• USGI Fleece Watch Cap – Color? The watch cap is Black.
• Buff Original Buff – Neck gaiter
• Columbia Steens Mountain Half-Zip Fleece Pullover (Olive Drab) – Nice looking fleece, really sharp!
• Skivvy Rolls (2)
• Mechanix Wear M-Pack Gloves - Winter/cold weather gloves + liners? I've added the SmartWool gloves as a liner, hopefully my plan works well with them.

- All in Outdoor Products Dry Sack – Size?

I believe the dry sack is 10L, I have the mac sac as sort of a backup, and may drop the 10L sack for it.

What is a typical outfit that you wear on a normal day? I wonder if you might consider trousers with ability to add kneepads, in lieu of a mags mat?

On a normal day I'm in a ballcap, longsleeve somewhat fire resistant shirt, works jeans, and Red Wing boots. When it's cold I throw on a Carhartt jacket. I grind all day, and am around things that will catch me on fire, so I try my best to wear things that won't take spark. My knees don't hurt to sit on, they just get cold and wet.

Some questions that need to be answered would be; dependent upon the number or routes to your BOL, which is the furthest? What type of terrain would you be traversing; arid, forest, mountainous? The weight of your pack for each season, and your physical fitness level/body composition.

What is your plan or goals when reaching your BOL? Are you going to have an existing structure with supplies there? Are you going to need to restart civilization at your BOL? You will need to have additional food if it will truly take you three days to either get there; or if you plan on staying at your BOL for more than three days. I understand you stated you have been hunting and fishing your entire life, but does your BOL support such a system of food procurement? Competition?

I have the furthest to any of my BOLs is something like 25 miles. And I have ones much closer that will more than likely be "safe". The terrain is woodlands, not very mountainous, some flat, some hilly. I'm still doing refinements, but I'm hoping for 30lbs in 3-Season mode, and 40-45lbs in winter mode. My fitness level is above average. I'm in fairly good shape, and continue to work on it every single day.

I guess I don't really have a set plan for once I reach my BOL, I don't know what situation will drive me there, and I try not to think that far ahead, for as much of a prepper as I am, I still am a diehard wing it kinda guy. I go with the flow. At all three of my BOLs I have caches of food, water, and other supplies in the for of totes and a few buried caches. Two are on family and friends land, and one is my last resort, a cave on a mountain that I used to visit as a kid. I've been up there a few times recently to bury and check the caches. I'd much rather be in a group thus it's my last resort. Thank you very much for telling me I need more food. I've added a Datrex 3600 calorie bar, and I'm going to add a couple of Mountain House meals. My BOLs do support this, I hunt on the first 2 every year, and it's been 9 years since I've came away meatless.

• Homeade MREs (2)
- Brown Sugar and Maple Oatmeal Packets (Breakfast/Qty)
- PowerBars (Snack/Qty)
- Spam Single (Lunch/Qty)
- Austin Peanut Butter Cheese Crackers (Snack/Qty)
- Knorr Red Beans and Rice (Lunch/Qty)
- Spam Single (Dinner/Qty)
- Knorr Cheddar Broccoli Noodles (Dinner/Qty)
- Sunkist Tuna Single (Dinner/Qty)
- Ziploc Bags

Here is a breakdown.

Breakfast, Day 1: 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 2 Power Bars, and Coffee.

Lunch, Day 1: Spam Single and Crackers, not a lot, but I don't need a lot. If I'm still hungry I have the Clif Bars and Jerky.

Dinner, Day 1: Red Beans and Rice with cut up Spam, and Gatorade.

Breakfast, Day 2: 2 Packets of Oatmeal, 2 Power Bars, and Coffee.

Lunch, Day 2: Spam Single and Crackers, again, I will add Clifs or Jerky if needed.

Dinner, Day 2: Cheddar Broccoli Noodles with Tuna, and Gatorade.

I also have the Datrex now, so I have enough calories I'd say. I'm also going to add a couple of MH meals.

• Clif Crunch Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars (3) (Not really a meal replacement item, more of a snack in my opinion)

• Jack Links Original Beef Jerky – (Snack) Size of package

I ate the beef Jerky, again, oops lol. I'll be replacing with some venison jerky.

(B,L,D/day or Two per day, additional electrolyte replenishment options?)

Two a day, no other electrolyte replacements, do I need them? I don't have a deficiency.

• Coffee Kits (4)(B,D – maybe add additional VIA’s) Will probably add more coffee... My Nova runs on E85, and I run on coffee.
- Nestlé Coffee Creamer
- Sweet N' Low Sweetner
- Ziploc Bag
• Vargo Titanium Hexagon Wood Stove – I have the same one, Great Choice!
• Stanley Adventure Series Camp Cook Set - Everytime I goto Walmart I tinker with this, how do you like it? I haven't had a single issue with it. I've used Titanium in the past, and plain and simple stuff burns.
• Snow Peak Titanium Spork – In the near future I plan on upgrading my flatware with Ti.

- Food in Outdoor Products Ditty Sack – Are there separate dry sacks for each day/meal?

No they aren't, I have 2 currently, and they are each in their own Ziploc. I add both of those, along with the Clif bars, jerky, and drink related things into the stuff sack.

First Aid and Hygiene:

No experience with this FAK, and after looking at the MFG website, the contents were not listed. I have AMK kits, with additional GSW products. I do not see any foot care products, or know what OTC meds you have.

There is moleskin in the FAK, I also have goldbond. Current OTC meds are Aspirin, Motrin, Diarrhea meds, and Benadryl.

*Augmented with:
 - Diarrhea Medication
 - SAM Splint XL
• Wet Ones Hand Wipes

• Samsung Galaxy S6 Active in Otterbox Defender Case – Good choice
• Rite In The Rain Waterproof Notepad – Good choice – size? It's just the small notepad.
• Rite In The Rain Waterproof Clicker Pen – Good choice
• Sharpie Full Size Permanent Marker – Good choice
• Suunto MC-2G Navigator Compass – Good choice
• Laminated Location Specific Topographic Map – Good choice

All great choices for navigation and communications, possible include a GPS unit and a shortwave radio. My suggestion is to verify the SW radio will work wherever your BOL is though.

I'm looking at a SW radio to add, and looking into GPS options as well, I'm thinking of the Garmin Rino as it would kill both birds with one stone. I'm also researching HAM radios.

Lighting and Power:

• Fenix PD35 LED Flashlight – 850 max Lumens/2 CR123’s or 18650 rechargeable - Awesome light
• Fenix HL50 LED Headlamp – 365 max Lumens/1 CR123 - Awesome light
• Outdoor Tech Kodiak Waterproof Power Bank – 6000 mAh – Nice!

- All in Ziploc Bag

Tools and Cordage:

• ESEE Knives 6 Fixed Blade Knife - Nice
• Carona Folding Saw - Nice
• Leatherman Rebar Multitool – 17 tools, nice MT, is it SS or black?
• Black Diamond Distance Z-Pole Trekking Poles – Nice, I only use cheap Walmart poles
• Mini Fishing Kit
- Plano Box
- Plano Mini Bobbers (3)
• Nite Ize Figure 9 S-Biners (2) – Are these for the Tarp/clothesline?

It is the stainless steel one. I've also used the Walmart poles in the past, but these were on sale, and I'm a fan of them.

The S-Biners are to aid in Shelter construction. With my hiking poles, tarp, S-Biners, and some cord I can make a nice shelter.

Weapons and Accessories:- Good to Go

- Custom Leather Sling

Thanks ZS, Honeycutt.

• Exped SynMat 9 LW with built-in Pump - I have the Exped Downmat 7M, which has worked great for winter camping. So many choices on pads, my head is spinning. Dragon80 helped me out with the one I'm looking for, so hopefully I can pick it up soon.
• 12" x 18" CCF Knee Mat or "Mags Mat" – knee pads? No knee pads.
• USGI Gen II ECWCS Parka – Camouflage pattern? Woodland, everything is Woodland lol.
• Smart Wool Liner Tech Compatible Gloves – the SW liners and mittens looks warm and comfortable; what model did you get? I'm not exactly sure of the model. The are $24 at REI, and they look mighty warm.
• Datrex 3600 Calorie Bar – I have always bought and ate Mainstay brand rations; not really sure how valuable these type of rations will be for an active caloric burning person.

I have numerous stoves, and try and get a small burner that can nestle in your Stanley cookset if possible.

I will look for one to nestle, it might be hard though.

I hope this helps you. It helps very much, thank you.
On another note, I need to invest in a netbook, replying to some of these is difficult on my phone. That's a good thing though.

Honeycutt
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:58 pm

I don't really consider Datrex or other similar products a good sources of food. It is "calories," not "food." It is fat and sugar....basically a gloried cookie. If running around for a few days while eating mainly Oreos sounds like a bad idea, then please consider another source of food.

Have you considered some cooking oil for your food? Put a teaspoon in your rice and in your pasta. Maybe throw a small bottle in there and switch it out every 12 months or so. Olive oil is best.

Rather than go with a fixed blade smaller than 6 inches, I"d consider going LARGER!!! And I"d consider ditching the multi-tool. A 9.25 inch blade has proven very useful to me in the kitchen and in the field (Condor Moonshiner: needs a different sheath for my taste). I find I don't really use the tools on my Leatherman Blast. However, to each their own. This is sorta like recommending underpants. It is a very personal decision and my recommendation should be taken with a grain of salt ... or 2 .... :D

Welcome to the forum!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Honeycutt

Post by Honeycutt » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:26 pm

woodsghost wrote:I don't really consider Datrex or other similar products a good sources of food. It is "calories," not "food." It is fat and sugar....basically a gloried cookie. If running around for a few days while eating mainly Oreos sounds like a bad idea, then please consider another source of food.

Have you considered some cooking oil for your food? Put a teaspoon in your rice and in your pasta. Maybe throw a small bottle in there and switch it out every 12 months or so. Olive oil is best.

Rather than go with a fixed blade smaller than 6 inches, I"d consider going LARGER!!! And I"d consider ditching the multi-tool. A 9.25 inch blade has proven very useful to me in the kitchen and in the field (Condor Moonshiner: needs a different sheath for my taste). I find I don't really use the tools on my Leatherman Blast. However, to each their own. This is sorta like recommending underpants. It is a very personal decision and my recommendation should be taken with a grain of salt ... or 2 .... :D

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the welcome!

I wasn't too sure the Datrex honestly, I already ordered it so I may just toss it in the camper somewhere. I like the Oreo analogy.

A small Nalgene of olive oil does sound like a nice addition. I will be doing that for sure.

Between adding another "MRE", a MH Pro Pack, and some Olive Oil, do you guys think I'll be sufficient?

I will definitely take it with a grain of salt. I'm in love with the ESEE 6, and it's staying. As well as the multitool, I've used it more than one would think.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

- Plato

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

Return to “Bug Out Gear”