whats your opinion on a folding saw.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:11 am

Anyone use a Gerber Myth folding saw? I just received one. How is it on wood? I don't saw many bones and am wondering if this would even work for me.

Thanks

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: whats your opinion on a folding saw.

Post by Mister Dark » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:29 am

Looks a bit like a Fiskars folding saw I have, but the teeth are a bit closer together , which I can only hope is a good thing.

For a few dollars more, you can get a Bahco Laplander, and just be done. They really are among the most recognized bushcraft saws out there. Very lightweight, cuts thru wood (well, the softwoods of the SE at least) extremely quickly. Worth every penny.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:32 am

Mister Dark wrote:Looks a bit like a Fiskars folding saw I have, but the teeth are a bit closer together , which I can only hope is a good thing.

For a few dollars more, you can get a Bahco Laplander, and just be done. They really are among the most recognized bushcraft saws out there. Very lightweight, cuts thru wood (well, the softwoods of the SE at least) extremely quickly. Worth every penny.
I've sawn through pine that was thicker than the actual blade length of my Bahco Laplander here in the Pacific Northwest! It was a chore, but definitely doable. I had a Gerber Bear Grills folding saw once, but it was a piece of junk compared to my Laplander. I've bent the end of the blade on it a couple times by sawing too fast and not being very careful about it, but was no problem. I just bent the blade back and used the pommel of my knife to make sure it was as flat as it was originally - good as new! There is also a reliable locking mechanism which locks whether open or closed.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:13 am

most folding saws will do a good enough job of cutting branches and whatever, its up to you what you pay for it, expensive is not always best.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:44 am

There's Laplanders on sale for $20 with free shipping on ebay right now brand new in the package. So, hardly expensive. If you're seriously looking to buy a folding saw for packing in your BOB or for camping/bushcrafting, based on my own experience, I strongly recommend the Bahco Laplander!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 am

Jeffcee wrote:Anyone use a Gerber Myth folding saw? I just received one. How is it on wood? I don't saw many bones and am wondering if this would even work for me.

To answer the question you asked, I think you'll find it works just fine; it gets generally good reviews and as grumpyviking says, it'll cut cut branches and small camp wood just fine.

To answer the question that other posts seem bent on answering, the Silky Gomboy generally comes out on top in head-to-head folding/survival saw comparos, including the Laplander. But it is expensive, $30 - $70 depending on the model and who you're buying it from.

http://www.amazon.com/Silky-Folding-Lan ... B000CEAX8S

Unless you're thinking about returning it unopened, certainly give your Gerber a whirl and see if it's good enough for your needs before going out and buying a Silky or Laplander.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:03 pm

I also use and carry the Bahco Laplander. It is awesome and just $20.

Bahco is like the Glock of knives, saws, axes and the like.

So I"ll chop up a line from a Tommy Lee Jones movie,

Get rid of that sissy saw and go get yourself a Bahco, son.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

moab

Post by moab » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:07 pm

(EDIT - The bottom video changed my mind. I love that about forums and youtube. I think the Silky Gomboy 270 might be my new saw.)

Sven saw for the win. It's like a triangle buck saw so no wrist fatigue. More aggressive teeth. Get the 21 inch model. It has a 21inch blade.

Well hell. Here's a pick and a youtube review. And a review of a ho' bunch of saws. Well I should say the last video is specs and opinion. Not really a test of them. But good info.

And here's a big review of many saws. If your into the folding saw like a Laplander it looks like the Silky Gomboy 270 is the way to go. And it does weigh just over a half pound. VS the 21 Sven saw which weighs just over a pound.

But then this video changed my mind. I love that about forums and youtube. I think the Silky Gomboy 270 might be my new saw.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:13 pm

moab wrote:Sven saw for the win. It's like a triangle buck saw so no wrist fatigue. More aggressive teeth. Get the 21 inch model. It has a 21inch blade.
There is a design problem with the Sven, the triangle frame makes you loose effective length of the blade due to the diameter of the log hitting the angled frame. Larger diameter log you cut, less length you have on the saw to cut with. They also take proprietary blades, so less availability and higher priced.

Bob's Quick Buck Saw, is my favorite buck saw design. Due to it's simple design and easy to put together. They are made for stock blade use. Meaning you can use any blade you can find that fits, including metal cutting blades. Which can come in handy for cutting bone BTW if you need to process hunted game.

As for Buck Saw VS Silky. Silky saws have an issue with the tips breaking due to only being supported on one end while bucksaws the blade is supported on both ends. I have seen many races between Sliky saws and buck saws, and the majority of times the Silky breaks the tip of it's blade. Because the binding that breaks the blade of a Silky happens most when rushing trying to beat another saw. Like Sven the Silky saws take proprietary blades making availability and price an issue.

Folding saws have their place and Silky is the top of the folding saws, like to reach in to cut a branch from a tree trunk where there isn't room for the frame of a buck saw or if you need a saw to fit in a pocket for easy quick deployment while hiking. But when doing more serious cutting a buck saw is the way to go.
Last edited by ineffableone on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Just FYI the one majorhavoc posted is $27 right now on amazon (save $30). I'm picking one up as soon as I'm home.

Sorry don't want to derail thread but looks like a killer deal for lightly more than the laplander.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:16 pm

Another vote for the Bahco laplander

That, a good knife, and a small machete that I'm not afraid to abuse is pretty much all that's needed for most tasks.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks all for the feedback. I had real trouble finding online reviews or data on this particular saw. But since Gerber has a lifetime warranty and it will only get used a few times a year ( I usually break up wood with my foot and knife), I'll hold on to it for now. If its not up to speed, Ill sell the warrenty replacement.

Appreciate the info! I knew this was the place to ask!

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:21 pm

I've used folding saws before, though not that particular one.

Found them to not be as effective as a bucksaw.

This is the one I used for the last few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWgCw4QCDug
WWSD?

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:53 am

I happily used several different/various ones until I bought a Silky Saw and now everything else seems somewhat slow, dull and quite a bit less useful than it use to!

SD

Si vis pacem, para bellum!

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:27 am

Jeffcee wrote:Anyone use a Gerber Myth folding saw? I just received one. How is it on wood? I don't saw many bones and am wondering if this would even work for me.

Thanks
I haven’t read any real bad reviews on Gerber’s new saw. The only issue is that they combine both large and small teeth so it can handle both wood and bone; that typically means it’s not the best for just wood or just bone. Still, it looks like a serviceable saw.

Some great comments and imbedded video reviews. Most of the folding saws aren’t designed for processing large firewood. Their best value is trimming branches around a camp site, collecting bows for insulation/shelter along with poles for shelter construction. They are handy to process smaller wood for fire starting; especially if the wood is wet and you just need to split it open to access the drier insides.

I really like the Silky 170/240 folding saws; balance good performance for weight. The smallest Silky, the 130, is excellent for my day-hiking kit and works quite well and making an improvised shelter. For serious processing Dustrude’s 24” bucksaw is hard to beat for serious wood cutting and the weight isn’t really that bad considering the size and construction.

I hope someone reproduces the “Sawvivor” as it was a better design IMHO to the Sven. The saw blades are standard, just not a standard size (15 and 18 inches). The best thing about his folding bucksaw is that my 15” Sawvivor can store two blades in the handle when folded up.

I do have a few older Gerber and Fiskars collapsible saws. These are pretty light and thin blades. You can over tax them and break the blade if you’re not careful, but they still work well if you’re patient and careful. I really like the oldest Gerber collapsible saw as it weighs just a couple ounces and works well on smaller projects.

You can split larger diameter wood with a smaller folding saw; the key is just not trying to saw all the way through and just get a good half-way cut and then break it the rest of the way. This is more efficient and safer. Ray Mears even shows how to split a longer length log with just a saw and a good place to whack it against a hard surface.

The one video mentioned the folding Corona saw, I have the fixed blade 14” Corona saw and it’s actually quite a beast. Weight is decent and the construction just seems more solid than the folding version. The curved blade is quite aggressive on wood and I’ve cut up to 8” logs with that Corona.

ROCK6

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Paladin1 wrote:I've used folding saws before, though not that particular one.

Found them to not be as effective as a bucksaw.

This is the one I used for the last few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWgCw4QCDug
I have been using a balco for some years with no issues, super ok for firewood, cabin building or large wood maybe some
Thing else but 95 percent I'm. Just making a little firewood
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:08 pm

ROCK6 wrote:

Thanks
I haven’t read any real bad reviews on Gerber’s new saw. The only issue is that they combine both large and small teeth so it can handle both wood and bone; that typically means it’s not the best for just wood or just bone. Still, it looks like a serviceable saw.

Some great comments and imbedded video reviews. Most of the folding saws aren’t designed for processing large firewood. Their best value is trimming branches around a camp site, collecting bows for insulation/shelter along with poles for shelter construction. They are handy to process smaller wood for fire starting; especially if the wood is wet and you just need to split it open to access the drier insides.

I really like the Silky 170/240 folding saws; balance good performance for weight. The smallest Silky, the 130, is excellent for my day-hiking kit and works quite well and making an improvised shelter. For serious processing Dustrude’s 24” bucksaw is hard to beat for serious wood cutting and the weight isn’t really that bad considering the size and construction.

I hope someone reproduces the “Sawvivor” as it was a better design IMHO to the Sven. The saw blades are standard, just not a standard size (15 and 18 inches). The best thing about his folding bucksaw is that my 15” Sawvivor can store two blades in the handle when folded up.

I do have a few older Gerber and Fiskars collapsible saws. These are pretty light and thin blades. You can over tax them and break the blade if you’re not careful, but they still work well if you’re patient and careful. I really like the oldest Gerber collapsible saw as it weighs just a couple ounces and works well on smaller projects.

You can split larger diameter wood with a smaller folding saw; the key is just not trying to saw all the way through and just get a good half-way cut and then break it the rest of the way. This is more efficient and safer. Ray Mears even shows how to split a longer length log with just a saw and a good place to whack it against a hard surface.

The one video mentioned the folding Corona saw, I have the fixed blade 14” Corona saw and it’s actually quite a beast. Weight is decent and the construction just seems more solid than the folding version. The curved blade is quite aggressive on wood and I’ve cut up to 8” logs with that Corona.

ROCK6
You wouldn't happen to know where I could find extra blades for the sawvivor would you? I love mine and have used it so much that even sharpening the blade with a file just won't cut it anymore (no pun intended). But since they aren't produced anymore I can't find blades anywhere.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:38 pm

You could make your own by cutting down a larger one and drilling your own holes. If you don't find one. But I'm sure there must be another blade out there that will work.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:13 pm

0122358 wrote:You wouldn't happen to know where I could find extra blades for the sawvivor would you? I love mine and have used it so much that even sharpening the blade with a file just won't cut it anymore (no pun intended). But since they aren't produced anymore I can't find blades anywhere.
Moab's advice is about all I've found. I'm a little upset as well and wish I would have purchased a few more blades for backup...I still think someone will manufacture the Sawvivor again. I'm going to pick up some 21" Swedish bow saw blades, drill matching holes and cut the ends with a Dremel. It's just a little more work, but should be pretty easy to do. For backpacking trips where we just set up a weekend basecamp, it's about the perfect size to process enough firewood for cooking and enjoying.

ROCK6

reppans

Post by reppans » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:34 pm

FWIW, here's another minimalist option, and what I'm using for campfire wood processing. Not to be confused with the box store versions, which have cutting teeth every third link, this one has teeth on every link and cuts twice as fast.

I've timed it along side my proper bow saw and Bahco Laplander and it falls right in between the two in speed. Full disclosure, this chainsaw requires more energy - being about twice the width of a blade, you'll throw twice the saw dust - but the work is better spread out across two arms and torso. Put another way, you can apply twice the power to the wood, but with a "blade" that is half as efficient.

I don't spend much time cutting firewood, so I just prefer the minimalist carry.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”