Unusual Item(s) In Your BOB

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

drop bear

Re: Unusual Item(s) In Your BOB

Post by drop bear » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:33 pm

I use a car sunshade as a sleep insulating mat. It is a bit slimmer and smaller to pack.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:35 pm

tedbeau wrote:Not sure if it's "unusual" but it's something a lot of people may have neglected. I keep half a dozen surgical mask in my GHB and BOB.
I read someone's account of having to evac through the debris field from a tornado. They said their daughter was in respiratory distress after a mile or two due to all the dust in the air. Given that a lot of the dust would be insulation and such I can see where it would be nasty. In addition the mask could be used to prevent the spread of airborne disease (Zombie cough?) and can also be used as a pre-filter for your water filtration system to keep your micro filter from getting clogged as fast.

Another item I have that I really like are some HUGE mil surplus bandana's. I know a lot of people carry one, but the standard size isn't as good as most people think when they want to use it as a arm sling or a head bandage. Try using a standard 22 inch square as a sling for an adult's arm, you will have a hard time getting enough material to tie the knot and the arm will be pulled up toward their chin in an uncomfortable position. I found some on The Sportsman's Guide that are 32 inch square.
I do flat mate masks. Which are supposed to be rated to dust and fumes.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Hate to be "that guy" but I am surprised this topic has gone 2 pages without someone bringing up that this topic has been done before. The thread Uncommon BOB items viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59093

You might want to check that one out a bit it is 15 pages of mostly good stuff.

I knew there was another one, took a bit but found another thread similarly themed. BOB or INCH oddity items? viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37393&p=770303 it wasn't as popular and only got 1 page.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 pm

The bad thing about old threads is that the pic links are usally dead.

On another site, the most mentioned " uncommon item" is...... a condom.
And most say they will use it for water carry.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

moni1124
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead / Zombieland

Post by moni1124 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:47 pm

A Silcock key. It can be used for getting water out of industrial areas and parks. Any stupid faucet that doesn't have a handle. There could possibly be a lot of water missed that way due to not having the tools needed for extraction. Image
"They're back from the grave, and ready to party!"
Technician Class KD9DYK
SAR Tech III

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Thinking about a wood rasp or a section of one just for making fires.

Dry wood is easy (ish) in the wet. Just chop off the wet outside. But tinder...the rasp would produce a bunch of saw dust pretty easy from the dry center of choped wood. Only reason I think of this is because I just used the saw on my Leatherman to do just that a few weeks ago in the rain. Didn't have tinder available.

May work pretty well on a magnesium bar too.

You could probably make other useful shit easier too.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:55 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote: May work pretty well on a magnesium bar too.
There was a guy that used a rasp or file on a mag bar.
Also drilled holes in mag bar to make shavings to put in pill bottles.
Saved time in not having to shave bar to make fire in a hurry.

I used a file/rasp combo tool that had 4 different sections on it when working on lead sleeves for splicing.
I need to see about getting one.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Mej1947

Post by Mej1947 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:03 pm

I keep a half dozen heavy duty one gallon zip lock bags in my BOB. They don't take up much space and have multiple uses. They make great water storage bags. I also have a small package of beef bullion cubes in there. Not too nutritious but if I'm cooking something that doesn't have much flavor it helps fool my taste buds.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”