Unusual Item(s) In Your BOB

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

coastwatcher42
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Zombieland

Unusual Item(s) In Your BOB

Post by coastwatcher42 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:54 pm

What are some of the unusual items you carry in your BOB? Things that most people may never have thought of or things that are to be used for something other than their original purpose.

I guess the most unusal item that Is in my BOB is a frog spear (or gig). It is small and lightweight and could potentialy serve several purposes. The first, of course, would be catching frogs for food. All that I would need to do is find an appropriately sized stick, put the spear on the end, add a screw and I'm ready to go. I left my spear in the original cardbord, shrink-wrapped packaging to potect the other items in my bag from damage from the spear tines. One thing that I did, though, was to duct tape two 3/4 inch wood screws to the package. It originally came with a through-bolt to secure the spear to the handle but, since I don't plan on carrying a drill with me, I needed another option. I can easily start the screw with my multi-tool and tighten it up. I carry two in case one is lost or damaged.

The spear could also coceivably be used to spear fish, small game, snakes, and possibly birds. In a pinch, it could also be used as a defensive weapon.
Last edited by coastwatcher42 on Wed May 13, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper

"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eyes
And shoot him with my old .45
Cause a country boy can survive"

Hank Williams, Jr.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Unusual Item(s) In BOB

Post by dunamis » Tue May 12, 2015 12:12 am

coastwatcher42 wrote:What are some of the unusual items you carry in your BOB? Things that most people may never have thought of or things that are to be used for something other than their original purpose.

I guess the most unusal item that Is in my BOB is a frog spear (or gig). It is small and lightweight and could potentialy serve several purposes. The first, of course, would be catching frogs for food. All that I would need to do is find an appropriately sized stick, put the spear on the end, add a screw and I'm ready to go. I left my spear in the original cardbord, shrink-wrapped packaging to potect the other items in my bag from damage from the spear tines. One thing that I did, though, was to duct tape two 3/4 inch wood screws to the package. It originally came with a through-bolt to secure the spear to the handle but, since I don't plan on carrying a drill with me, I needed another option. I can easily start the screw with my multi-tool and tighten it up. I carry two in case one is lost or damaged.

The spear could also coceivably be used to spear fish, small game, snakes, and possibly birds. In a pinch, it could also be used as a defensive weapon.
I've never tried to spear a frog and it sounds like a handy tool (could probably even spear fish with it?) but wouldn't it hold better to a stick by simply wrapping it with paracord? Maybe even slide the cord through the screw hole in the spear hilt during some part of the wrapping process?

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:19 am

I carry a photo of Bea Arthur. It's for moral support. No matter what goes wrong, I know she'll be there watching over me.

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:35 am

Can't top Bea Arthur, but I keep a decent mono-white MTG deck in my BOB. In my neck of the woods, it'll be the only surviving form of entertainment.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 am

Something I just added to my EDC bag and will probably add to my BOB is light duty lubricating oil. Nearly every damn door at work squeaks, so I hit it with a shot of oil in the hinges, and up top on the arm that makes the door shut on it's own. Now that I carry it, I notice that a lot of the doors I frequent outside of work; places I might be if some sort of SHTF event occurred, and I needed to GTFO quickly and quietly.

I picked it up at a local hardware store for like $2.50. So far I've lubed up probably close to 100 doors.

It also works well as a fire starter extender, a few drops on a cotton ball/pad and no more need for PJ.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

tony d tiger

Re: Unusual Item(s) In Your BOB

Post by tony d tiger » Wed May 13, 2015 11:51 pm

Dog treats (duck & lamb and salmon & lamb) works for the pups, and could probably do for bait in a pinch.Image
Tony D

Pr0sper0
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ, Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead, Day of the Dead (original)

Post by Pr0sper0 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:45 am

A small jar of coconut oil...I'm a great beliver in having a 'multiple use' for everthing I carry. So the coconut oil takes the place of carrying the following:
Energy Bar
Chapstick
Antifungal footcare cream
Lube oil-As Halfapint said, for doors, locks and bike chains.
plus literally 101 other uses for coconut oil
I'm not sure if its a unusuall carry but its one a lot of people seem to neglect.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 15, 2015 6:31 am

Cigarettes. Unusual because I don't smoke. Lots of other people do though and in a situation where people are all freaked out and can't get a square because the stores are closed or whatever people are mostly grateful and happy to get their favorite poison. If it helps people around me relax and be happy that is helpful to me most days. I only keep a couple of packs because they are so expensive and they don't last a long time.

I guess I could use them as a trade good but that seems to involved to me.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 15, 2015 7:09 am

zero11010 wrote:I carry a photo of Bea Arthur. It's for moral support. No matter what goes wrong, I know she'll be there watching over me.

Well, once a Marine, always a Marine.

I'd say Dr. Ruth would be far more comforting though. She says she can still assemble and fire a Sten in under a minute. I'd feel pretty good if she were watching over me with a sniper rifle...
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Toxoph

Post by Toxoph » Fri May 15, 2015 7:19 am

A full flask, you bring your comfort item, I'll bring mine!
I prep, therefore I am

azoth
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil 1-4

Post by azoth » Fri May 15, 2015 8:05 pm

i carry an ear cleaner its small and really helps when you get an ear filled with wax.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AUD ... UTF8&psc=1
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Desiderius Erasmus,

Gaston
Favorite Zombie Movies: Chuck Norris and Jason Statham movies. I mean, you can't kill them, they don't suck blood so they aren't vampires, or change into an animal during a full moon so they aren't were-beasts, so they pretty much have to be Zombies, right?

Post by Gaston » Fri May 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Toxoph wrote:A full flask, you bring your comfort item, I'll bring mine!
I instead have a pint plastic vodka bottle refilled with pure grain alcohol which weighs roughly half as much as the equivalent in liquor. It burns great in my soda can stove (which weighs next to nothing including the aluminum foil windscreen) and when diluted it's drinkable if not tasty.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri May 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Gaston wrote:
Toxoph wrote:A full flask, you bring your comfort item, I'll bring mine!
I instead have a pint plastic vodka bottle refilled with pure grain alcohol which weighs roughly half as much as the equivalent in liquor. It burns great in my soda can stove (which weighs next to nothing including the aluminum foil windscreen) and when diluted it's drinkable if not tasty.
Dilute? You're crazy. Good item though, wish we could get pure grain alcohol here.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

moab

Post by moab » Sun May 24, 2015 3:23 pm

Prescription meds. Dried squid for eating and as bait. Tobacco for use and trade.
Last edited by moab on Mon May 25, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Mon May 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Nails
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Tue May 26, 2015 11:13 am

Not sure if it's "unusual" but it's something a lot of people may have neglected. I keep half a dozen surgical mask in my GHB and BOB.
I read someone's account of having to evac through the debris field from a tornado. They said their daughter was in respiratory distress after a mile or two due to all the dust in the air. Given that a lot of the dust would be insulation and such I can see where it would be nasty. In addition the mask could be used to prevent the spread of airborne disease (Zombie cough?) and can also be used as a pre-filter for your water filtration system to keep your micro filter from getting clogged as fast.

Another item I have that I really like are some HUGE mil surplus bandana's. I know a lot of people carry one, but the standard size isn't as good as most people think when they want to use it as a arm sling or a head bandage. Try using a standard 22 inch square as a sling for an adult's arm, you will have a hard time getting enough material to tie the knot and the arm will be pulled up toward their chin in an uncomfortable position. I found some on The Sportsman's Guide that are 32 inch square.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Kilo147 wrote:Can't top Bea Arthur, but I keep a decent mono-white MTG deck in my BOB. In my neck of the woods, it'll be the only surviving form of entertainment.
For a short period of time I was considering carrying my MTG MUDD Deck in my BOB.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:27 am

Pr0sper0 wrote:A small jar of coconut oil...I'm a great beliver in having a 'multiple use' for everthing I carry.
I keep a small bottle of povidone iodine in our BOBs under the multiple use reasoning. The one-shot energy drink bottles are the perfect size and are sturdy and leakproof. Antiseptic/disinfectant, water purification, and apply topically for iodine-131 protection in a radiological event.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:29 pm

I have added the picture of Bea Arthur to some of my gear as well. Thanks.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:35 pm

CrossCut wrote:
Pr0sper0 wrote: The one-shot energy drink bottles are the perfect size and are sturdy and leakproof.
Great thinking there!

SuperBanki
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, campiness at it's best.

Post by SuperBanki » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:54 am

I carry a wrist-rocket slingshot, extra bands, and some hunting shot.
Polie wrote: I couldn't live with out smokes, coffee, chocodiles, and Gold Bonds Medicated foot powder for the ol' giggle stick. (It's like a thousand dancing ferries.)
Regular Guy wrote:Just FYI, it is lawful for the police to use one level of force above the criminals level of force. I'd say using a gun is one level above face chewing. YMMV.

Cephalotus

Post by Cephalotus » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:21 am

I have some stuff that I rarely see in other BOBs...

- a small geiger counter made in Russia: SOEKS 01M. If society collapses so will the nuclear power plants so how would you know the radioactive hotspots?
- a satellite phone: Thuraya SG2520. During lokal deserters (mobile) phone services are one of the first things to collapse and I want to be able call some friends and relatives outside the desaster zone. A ham radio is useless for that purpose.
- trekking sandals: Teva northridge Have you ever crossed a river with your only pair of boots and than kept waling with that wet boots?
- neopren socks: Multiuse items, can serve as neopren socks (i.e. crossing a half frozen river with sandals during winter), as warm sleeping socks, as an insulation for my water bottles, as thin knee pads in my trousers...
- standard ear plugs and special ear plugs that filter mostly impulse noise.

I also want to buy a packraft boat as an optional item, maybe the MRS adventure X2. Having a lightweight and transportable boat gives you plenty of options, think about using small islands to stay over night, crossing rivers where there are no bridges (and no checkpoints), having something to move in flooded areas, maybe the option to use rivers for transportation (and some fishing)...

Smcash

Post by Smcash » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Cephalotus wrote:
I also want to buy a packraft boat as an optional item, maybe the MRS adventure X2. Having a lightweight and transportable boat gives you plenty of options, think about using small islands to stay over night, crossing rivers where there are no bridges (and no checkpoints), having something to move in flooded areas, maybe the option to use rivers for transportation (and some fishing)...
I just came across this yesterday
http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-LiteWater- ... s=packraft

Hard to beat the weight and the size that it packs down to. And the price. I'm seriously considering getting one for my pack. From what I've read, most of the reviews are positive, for whatever that's worth.... You're not going to get across a river or lake and stay dry but you're probably not going to do that in any pack raft. Also, this is rated for a 350 pound weight limit (which is probably realistically 280#) which is a huge bonus in my book.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Halfapint wrote:Something I just added to my EDC bag and will probably add to my BOB is light duty lubricating oil. Nearly every damn door at work squeaks, so I hit it with a shot of oil in the hinges, and up top on the arm that makes the door shut on it's own. Now that I carry it, I notice that a lot of the doors I frequent outside of work; places I might be if some sort of SHTF event occurred, and I needed to GTFO quickly and quietly.

I picked it up at a local hardware store for like $2.50. So far I've lubed up probably close to 100 doors.

It also works well as a fire starter extender, a few drops on a cotton ball/pad and no more need for PJ.
Would coconut oil work?

Because you can eat it. And I Think use it for topical treatments.
http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

Return to “Bug Out Gear”