Zombie Squad
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/

Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=116197
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Woods Walker [ Mon May 11, 2015 12:25 am ]
Post subject:  Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Ok 30 pounds isn't a bunch of weight or is it? Just for fun load up a pack till it's actually 30 lbs on a scale then lift it. Yup, it's a bit heavier than the number sounds on the computer screen. Not too much more but a bit. 30 lbs is also within the range of my 3 season hiking or 72 hour BOB. I can hike with more but beyond exercise for me there isn't really a need. So training with the actual weight range one might be expected to carry does help. I do this at least 3 times a week. The other days I will pack less or more. Taking a day or two off sometimes is necessary if other responsibilities take precedent. Naturally to each their own.

Once again on the move.

Image

New kit:

Image

Image

I am considering putting a Hawk on the other side of the belt or maybe a knife. I do have a mouse hawk inside the pack but it might be nicer on the belt? The woods are finally turning green. In another week it will be full on Spring.

Image

Image

Image

Wild Strawberry flower.

Image

Violets.

Image

Partridge berry.

Image


Always liked these but unlike the above 3 I wouldn't eat them. Guessing Purple Trillium but no expert on flowers.

Image

Some scooting down is required but minimal at best.

Image

Image

Almost down. This picture tells a story.

Image

The rotten wood next to the tall sapling is a Chestnut. It died along with the rest way before I was born. Over the years I watched it decay, slowly as is the Chestnut way. Then it fell over as a new sapling grew from the old roots of the seemingly but not really dead tree. This too is the Chestnut way. The little sapling grew year after year but one day it will get the blight and die. I am surprised it's still alive. Then the little one next to it will grow, then die replaced by yet another which hasn't grown yet. Odds are this tree died before 1940 at the latest, probably before that. How many more decades before the end?

Image

Tight quarters on the bottom.

Image

Time for a tick inspection. Check the front and back of the legs, arms and anything I can see. I hate ticks. I mean really hate them. Big time.

Image

Image

Back in the day I used this cliff to practice rappelling. I should crack out my old climbing stuff and give it a GO!

Image

Crossed two streams during the 5-mile hike. This one has small native Brook trout which are actually char.

Image

Image

Can't get enough of the high wire act on fallen trees. Too lazy to hike around them.

Image

Others I just go under.

Image

Stream number 2. This one has naturalized Brown trout as well as native Brook trout.

Image

My pack. Do I need all that stuff for a 5-mile hike. No but again it's nice training. Nothing compares to hiking through hilly ground with a loaded pack if yea want to get better at doing the same thing. Sounds logical if yea ask me.

Image

I used to swing off this cliff. Dang I got a hankering to do it again just like the last one.

Image

Took this dirt road to get back to the truck faster.

Image

Guessing another blow down.

Image

Part of the Blue trail goes along and crosses these abandoned tracks. The last train I seen on them was over 8 years ago.

Image

Looks like another wild edible.

Image

It's been very dry but ice cold water drips though these cliffs.

Image

Cooling off my warmer weather shaven head with a slow shower.

Image

Back at the truck.

Image

Nothing overly exciting but just putting out there the suggestion to dayhike a few times a week with weight equivalent to your intended load. It's fun and a great way to develop a baseline then improve on that. Thanks for looking.

Author:  Halfapint [ Mon May 11, 2015 1:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

love the line "Just for fun load up a pack till it's actually 30 lbs on a scale then lift it. Yup, it's a bit heavier than the number sounds on the computer screen" It's so true!

I go out about once a week, I really ought to bump it up to 2 or 3. Perhaps in the summer, but so many damn excuses! I do keep my pack in my car "just in case" I randomly want to go hiking.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Author:  dunamis [ Mon May 11, 2015 3:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

As with any rucking exercise, 30 lbs., however heavy it seems at first will continue to become heavier and heavier the farther you carry it. That is, I guess, until you get used to it.

Author:  Woods Walker [ Mon May 11, 2015 10:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

dunamis wrote:
As with any rucking exercise, 30 lbs., however heavy it seems at first will continue to become heavier and heavier the farther you carry it. That is, I guess, until you get used to it.


I am heading out to the land of the Timber Rattler. Very hard country for this area. Will put the pack on the scale but guessing 32+ lbs which is intentionally heavy for just an overnighter. For me there is actually a wave pattern. It starts off harder, gets much easier then a plateau followed by slow decline.

Author:  IANMCDEVITT [ Mon May 11, 2015 7:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

That rock looks exactly like Wolf Rock in Mansfield, CT.

Author:  Paladin1 [ Mon May 11, 2015 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

I hike 45min-60min. 3-5 times a week with the dog. Next time I'll take the BOB.

Thanks for the thought.

Author:  Boondock [ Mon May 11, 2015 8:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

That's the way to do it. Thanks for posting.

Author:  Canadian Guy [ Mon May 11, 2015 9:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Looks like a nice outing!

Author:  estoteparati [ Tue May 12, 2015 9:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Good job training


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Author:  Woods Walker [ Tue May 12, 2015 11:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Paladin1 wrote:
I hike 45min-60min. 3-5 times a week with the dog. Next time I'll take the BOB.

Thanks for the thought.


That's the way brother!

Author:  On Point [ Thu May 14, 2015 7:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

I jump on the treadmill 5 days a week just shortly after I put the kids on the bus & most days I crank the incline up to simulate hill country, but never do I add my pack to my exercise. Guess what Im gonna start doing? :)
Thanks for posting WW, great read.

Author:  ROCK6 [ Tue May 26, 2015 6:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Woods Walker wrote:
Ok 30 pounds isn't a bunch of weight or is it? Just for fun load up a pack till it's actually 30 lbs on a scale then lift it. Yup, it's a bit heavier than the number sounds on the computer screen. Not too much more but a bit. 30 lbs is also within the range of my 3 season hiking or 72 hour BOB. I can hike with more but beyond exercise for me there isn't really a need. So training with the actual weight range one might be expected to carry does help. I do this at least 3 times a week. The other days I will pack less or more. Taking a day or two off sometimes is necessary if other responsibilities take precedent. Naturally to each their own.

Nothing overly exciting but just putting out there the suggestion to dayhike a few times a week with weight equivalent to your intended load. It's fun and a great way to develop a baseline then improve on that. Thanks for looking.


My wife and I typically do more "day hikes" for training a few months before a longer trip, but I've just started doing all my day hikes with my regular backpacking kit. My pack weight is also right around 30 pounds (I typically simulate my 6-7 days of food with more water). Nothing replicates backpacking with a pack, like backpacking with a pack :mrgreen:

My wife does use the treadmill, but she knows that is only for conditioning; it just doesn't replicated the trail. We have a State Park nearby with a several connecting loops up to almost 12 miles, so we get out at least once a week with the packs; summer time is easier since my wife is out of school.

I will say, I've found 30-32 pounds my maximum to carry all day. Even when hiking 10-15 miles a day, I can pretty much carry my pack all day, not even needing to take it off during rest stops (except for a longer lunch break). My current backpacking pack is a ULA Circuit (in multicam of course!). Still, I have a few Kifaru packs and the Pointman along with my older Zulu are excellent bug out bags that are comfortable with even excessive weight.

That area is beautiful WW! I'm sure that makes the hikes much more enjoyable and it's amazing how the terrain looks vastly different between seasons.

ROCK6

Author:  Purple_Mutant [ Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

I need to start doing that. I am out of shape. So I think as a starting point I will just load up a pack with some radio gear and then walk to the park to go play radio. There is a gym near here I have been thinking of joining. Although my diet is working great for weight loss (28 lbs so far); diet wont get you into shape. That's what exercise is for. I wonder if a the treadmills at the gym are can support a 250 pound person + a 30-50 pound BOB. Although I might get funny looks walking on a treadmill with an ILBE pack on my back. :lol: The gym is open 24/7 so I could always go in the wee hours when no one is there. However if I am walking to the gym at 3am with an ILBE pack on; that might be suspicious. Maybe it's just me being overly paranoid as usual. However I would rather not have to explain to the police what I am doing. If used a real BOB that might not go over so well if the cops search the pack :lol: Regardless, I should start some sort of an exercise routine. I will have to head down to the gym and find out what the membership fee is.

Thanks for the motivation WW. Sometimes we need a kick in the ass to get us going. Getting to the gym regularly can be a hassle. So maybe I just need to treat this as getting into shape so I can outrun the Zombies :mrgreen: You can't fight zed's if your out of breath.

Author:  gronch [ Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Always enjoy your posts.

I previously set my hard limit at 36 pounds for packing, and that has gone down to 30 pounds. Seems like a small detail, but that makes a world of difference.

Author:  Kutter_0311 [ Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Purple_Mutant wrote:
I need to start doing that. I am out of shape. So I think as a starting point I will just load up a pack with some radio gear and then walk to the park to go play radio. There is a gym near here I have been thinking of joining. Although my diet is working great for weight loss (28 lbs so far); diet wont get you into shape. That's what exercise is for. I wonder if a the treadmills at the gym are can support a 250 pound person + a 30-50 pound BOB. Although I might get funny looks walking on a treadmill with an ILBE pack on my back. :lol: The gym is open 24/7 so I could always go in the wee hours when no one is there. However if I am walking to the gym at 3am with an ILBE pack on; that might be suspicious. Maybe it's just me being overly paranoid as usual. However I would rather not have to explain to the police what I am doing. If used a real BOB that might not go over so well if the cops search the pack :lol: Regardless, I should start some sort of an exercise routine. I will have to head down to the gym and find out what the membership fee is.

Re: police, search & seizure

Embarrassment and social anxiety aside, walking to the gym, day or night, with an ILBE is simply enough explained to anyone, police included, as "for training."
ROCK6 wrote:
Nothing replicates backpacking with a pack, like backpacking with a pack

In the event that police want to search your pack, I think they would be on sketchy ground as far as probable cause.

As far as what is inside your pack, you should know what's in there and the legal status already. If you are not sure, contact your state's Attorney General office for guidance.

Generally a knife inside a ruck would not be considered a 'concealed weapon' and a cased, unloaded gun should, to my knowledge also be fine. Again, if you are concerned about legality in your state, ask the Attorney General's office for guidance. That office is responsible for setting the standard for law enforcement and prosecution state-wide, so any guidance from them should be what is enforced, and if a cop is giving you grief about something the AG's office said was good, you should talk to his supervisor. It might help to have a copy of the AG's guidance in your bag. A fax with their phone number on it can be pretty quickly confirmed in the field.

Author:  Purple_Mutant [ Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Purple_Mutant wrote:
I need to start doing that. I am out of shape. So I think as a starting point I will just load up a pack with some radio gear and then walk to the park to go play radio. There is a gym near here I have been thinking of joining. Although my diet is working great for weight loss (28 lbs so far); diet wont get you into shape. That's what exercise is for. I wonder if a the treadmills at the gym are can support a 250 pound person + a 30-50 pound BOB. Although I might get funny looks walking on a treadmill with an ILBE pack on my back. :lol: The gym is open 24/7 so I could always go in the wee hours when no one is there. However if I am walking to the gym at 3am with an ILBE pack on; that might be suspicious. Maybe it's just me being overly paranoid as usual. However I would rather not have to explain to the police what I am doing. If used a real BOB that might not go over so well if the cops search the pack :lol: Regardless, I should start some sort of an exercise routine. I will have to head down to the gym and find out what the membership fee is.

Re: police, search & seizure

Embarrassment and social anxiety aside, walking to the gym, day or night, with an ILBE is simply enough explained to anyone, police included, as "for training."
ROCK6 wrote:
Nothing replicates backpacking with a pack, like backpacking with a pack

In the event that police want to search your pack, I think they would be on sketchy ground as far as probable cause.

As far as what is inside your pack, you should know what's in there and the legal status already. If you are not sure, contact your state's Attorney General office for guidance.

Generally a knife inside a ruck would not be considered a 'concealed weapon' and a cased, unloaded gun should, to my knowledge also be fine. Again, if you are concerned about legality in your state, ask the Attorney General's office for guidance. That office is responsible for setting the standard for law enforcement and prosecution state-wide, so any guidance from them should be what is enforced, and if a cop is giving you grief about something the AG's office said was good, you should talk to his supervisor. It might help to have a copy of the AG's guidance in your bag. A fax with their phone number on it can be pretty quickly confirmed in the field.


Thanks for the info. I tend to get overly paranoid about things. That could be due to my issues with social anxiety/interaction. So I would rather avoid a situation than have to deal with it. Probably the worst thing I would have in the BOB is cutting implements. Although depending on how you look at it a pry bar and paracord could be looked at as burglars tools.

We had a problem with homeless people camping out by the creek. So the city council enacted a no camping ordnance. In the past people have thought I was homeless. So I don't know if there is an increased risk of someone calling the police. It could just be me being overly paranoid as I tend to be. What I could always do is print out a card to hand police if I get stopped. That way I don't need to think of what to say in the spur of the moment. The card could explain that I have Autism, what I am doing, and that I don't consent to a search.

Author:  Kutter_0311 [ Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Are you Autistic? Or do you just have social anxieties? You don't want to mis-represent yourself to your local LEO's.

If the LEO's are supposed to be rousting homeless, they won't often search bags unless someone looks to be dealing/trafficking drugs, it's just a waste of time. Also, if the ordinance says 'no camping' that doesn't prohibit you from walking around town carrying camping gear. It ONLY prohibits you from actually setting up camp in public spaces. Hell, if you want to set up camp on your property, or walk across the street/town and set up camp at your friends' place (with their permission), the cops have no business bothering you.

'Tools for burglary' is not really a legal thing, unless there is more context showing you had intent to burglarize. Most of us have tools that could be used for burglary or breaking & entering, but since these are generally used by most people for totally legal stuff, just carrying them around in your bag does not constitute a crime any more than walking around with camping gear constitutes setting up camp. Hell, many of them are obviously more related to camping gear than burglary gear.

Author:  Purple_Mutant [ Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Kutter_0311 wrote:
Are you Autistic? Or do you just have social anxieties? You don't want to mis-represent yourself to your local LEO's.


Yes I am autistic.

Author:  Woods Walker [ Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

gronch wrote:
Always enjoy your posts.

I previously set my hard limit at 36 pounds for packing, and that has gone down to 30 pounds. Seems like a small detail, but that makes a world of difference.


Yup. That has been my experience as well. A few pounds of pack weight can make a bigger difference than the actual numbers might imply.

Author:  Woods Walker [ Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

Purple_Mutant wrote:
Kutter_0311 wrote:
Purple_Mutant wrote:
I need to start doing that. I am out of shape. So I think as a starting point I will just load up a pack with some radio gear and then walk to the park to go play radio. There is a gym near here I have been thinking of joining. Although my diet is working great for weight loss (28 lbs so far); diet wont get you into shape. That's what exercise is for. I wonder if a the treadmills at the gym are can support a 250 pound person + a 30-50 pound BOB. Although I might get funny looks walking on a treadmill with an ILBE pack on my back. :lol: The gym is open 24/7 so I could always go in the wee hours when no one is there. However if I am walking to the gym at 3am with an ILBE pack on; that might be suspicious. Maybe it's just me being overly paranoid as usual. However I would rather not have to explain to the police what I am doing. If used a real BOB that might not go over so well if the cops search the pack :lol: Regardless, I should start some sort of an exercise routine. I will have to head down to the gym and find out what the membership fee is.

Re: police, search & seizure

Embarrassment and social anxiety aside, walking to the gym, day or night, with an ILBE is simply enough explained to anyone, police included, as "for training."
ROCK6 wrote:
Nothing replicates backpacking with a pack, like backpacking with a pack

In the event that police want to search your pack, I think they would be on sketchy ground as far as probable cause.

As far as what is inside your pack, you should know what's in there and the legal status already. If you are not sure, contact your state's Attorney General office for guidance.

Generally a knife inside a ruck would not be considered a 'concealed weapon' and a cased, unloaded gun should, to my knowledge also be fine. Again, if you are concerned about legality in your state, ask the Attorney General's office for guidance. That office is responsible for setting the standard for law enforcement and prosecution state-wide, so any guidance from them should be what is enforced, and if a cop is giving you grief about something the AG's office said was good, you should talk to his supervisor. It might help to have a copy of the AG's guidance in your bag. A fax with their phone number on it can be pretty quickly confirmed in the field.


Thanks for the info. I tend to get overly paranoid about things. That could be due to my issues with social anxiety/interaction. So I would rather avoid a situation than have to deal with it. Probably the worst thing I would have in the BOB is cutting implements. Although depending on how you look at it a pry bar and paracord could be looked at as burglars tools.

We had a problem with homeless people camping out by the creek. So the city council enacted a no camping ordnance. In the past people have thought I was homeless. So I don't know if there is an increased risk of someone calling the police. It could just be me being overly paranoid as I tend to be. What I could always do is print out a card to hand police if I get stopped. That way I don't need to think of what to say in the spur of the moment. The card could explain that I have Autism, what I am doing, and that I don't consent to a search.


Believe it or not I have been questioned by police for having an unusually large pack. It was on State land without camping. The officer was at the trail head for some unknown reason then inquired why my pack was so larger and it was. LOL! I stated the truth about training for hikes on the Appalachian trail. He said have a nice day. The truth is often believable because it's the truth. Odds are if you told someone you were training to get in better shape they would be envious rather than suspicious.

Author:  solrac7 [ Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Conditioning hike with 30 LB Kifaru Pointman pack.

if you guys/gals are worried about carrying your pack to the gym, they do make weight vests that add 25 lbs (for the one I got filled with sand packets- you could use lead shot to increase the weight) However these tend to look like suicide bomber vests so you that going for you... it's not the same as a backpack because the weight is more closely distributed about the body, but it is an ok start for training...

Cb

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/