Favorite items in your bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Favorite items in your bag

Post by corrsk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:23 pm

What are your favorite items in your bug out bag that unless something amazing came out you would never change to something else.

Take into account durability, basic function and price.

For me I love my benchmade mini griptilian and my streamlight microstream. They were priced very fairly and have held up well. Hard to find a downside with either.

jdavidboyd

Re: Favorite items in your bag

Post by jdavidboyd » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:32 am

Leatherman Wave
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:34 am

Mora. Hewlett diamond sharpening plate. UCO Stormproof matches.

Messing around with another knife for the last 5 months. Once I get a new sheath, that might become my new favorite. Time will tell.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:08 am

As of late, I really dig my Beast H60 firesteel.

http://www.panjo.com/buy/lifetime-warra ... east-39748

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:09 pm

my woobie, my wool sweater, my Sawvivor saw and my canteen cup.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:48 pm

My hand-forged seax, my wool cloak, and my flint and steel.

Had a buddy forge the seax for me, and it keeps a nice razor edge, but is tough enough that I can baton it to split wood. It also throws decent sparks with a bit of flint or quartz.

My cloak is just awesome. Folded over and wrapped around me, it keeps me warm and dry in below zero snowstorms. At night, it's big enough to wrap around me a couple of times for snuggly warm fireside dozin'.

The flint and steel were a Christmas present, and I'm lovin' them. Sure, there are easier ways to make fire, but there's just something almost magical about giving life to a cheery fire with nothing but a tiny spark.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

On Point

Post by On Point » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:10 pm

These are my favorites.
BK2, Sig P226

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts." - William Shakespeare

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:12 pm

This is a difficult one for me because I genuinely like a lot of the gear I have. I've stopped accepting anything less than exactly what I really want and need so that's made a big difference in this aspect. The single item I use the most is my Princeton Tec Fred headlamp, it's just awesome! Outside of that, I truly have favorites in every category inside my pack.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 pm

I kinda covered my favs in my thread Gear that made you stop looking viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111907

But for those who haven't read the thread, and don't plan on following the link

The pack itself, a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab
My Ribz Front Pack too
Samick Sage TD bow
Wetterling's Forester's Fine Axe
SOG PowerAssist
Katadyn Pocket
Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel
Bob's Quick Buck Saw
Axeprice (on ebay) ferro rods. Specifically their 1/2" X 5" rod
Trail Designs Ti Tri Caldera Stove with Inferno insert

Some things I hadn't mentioned yet on that thread.

Maxpedition's Aftermath toiletry bag (really helps keep my hygiene stuff organized and together)
Mor's Pot from Four Dog stoves
UCO candle lantern
MSS
Aplaca wool blanket
Bark River Aurora
Energizer Night Strike flashlight
Speedie Stitcher
Fjallraven pants
Yugo BHO mags for my AK
My quiver from Hidehandler which gets strapped to the outside of the pack.
My 1858 Remmington CB revolvers. A 5 1/2 " barrel and 8" barrel beautiful revolvers from Pietta.

A recent addition but has quickly become a fav is the Opinel #8 Garden knife. which has a spear point and a slim handle rather than typical Opinel.

I have been slowly over the years replacing items in my pack that were settle for as the best I could get at the time with stuff that is the best I can get period. Slowly replacing cheap items with higher quality ones. Though some items cheap does not make them lower quality. The Night Strike was fairly affordable, MSS is well known for being inexpensive, the Samick Sage is actually quite a budget bow, Axeprice's ferro rods are a lot less than other brands. Though plenty of my stuff is higher priced too. Like the Fjallraven pants, or the Crew Cab pack, or the quiver. I hope to eventually have the best gear I can find for all the different tasks I have covered in my pack.

If I had to pick just one item though as my absolute favorite? Probably the Bark River Aurora would just barely nudge out the Wetterlings Forester's Fine axe. The Aurora is pretty as well as functional and durable.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:27 pm

My puukko knife. It's the bare minimum.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Leatherman micra, the scissors are really good and have come in handy many times, including tent repair, fingernail triming, removing stitches and beard trimming. It's so small and light I always have one my keychain chain.c.f.
Mora firesteel, having a firestarter integrates into a sharp handy fixed blade knife is really handy. And the knife spine is ground perfectly for scraping the firesteel and making tinder. $25 on amazon. com.
Rolled gauze bandages, especially when your wrapping your own road rash or other injury, these are very handy.
Small roll of Gorilla Tape, it's duct tape on steroids. Great for temporary repairs.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Fiskars scissors. Plastic sheath with ceramic sharpener built in, bottle opener accessible while in sheath or out, round "safety" tip to prevent accidental punctures and it easily separates for a handy fixed blade. There's also a wire cutter and a scalloped edge I haven't used, but maybe handy for some. Less than $20 at the hardware store or wallyworld... what's not to like?
http://www2.fiskars.com/var/fiskars_ame ... t_main.png
Tony D

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:04 am

Blow-Up Doll... nothing like a morale boost. Now just wait til I get around to my mock bug out...

Edit: Seriously though, I love my air rifle "Sally" (no connection to the above), she's killed many a critter. I also love my Stanley Wonder Bar that I keep in my emergency vehicle bin; you'd be surprised how handy that impulse buy has been over the years doing dumb things
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:49 am

My favorite is a Survival Solutions O.P.S.E.C. poncho.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:17 am

Maeklos wrote:My hand-forged seax, my wool cloak, and my flint and steel.

Had a buddy forge the seax for me, and it keeps a nice razor edge, but is tough enough that I can baton it to split wood. It also throws decent sparks with a bit of flint or quartz.

My cloak is just awesome. Folded over and wrapped around me, it keeps me warm and dry in below zero snowstorms. At night, it's big enough to wrap around me a couple of times for snuggly warm fireside dozin'.

The flint and steel were a Christmas present, and I'm lovin' them. Sure, there are easier ways to make fire, but there's just something almost magical about giving life to a cheery fire with nothing but a tiny spark.
Id love to see pics of all that gear

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:59 am

First would be my Storm Crow perang or tomahawk. I carry one or the other at all times in my bag.

Second would be my Saywer mini (seriously 1million gallons and its 4oz!?!?!?!!?!)

Third would be my REI quarter dome (I'm a hanger normally, but I've been in love with this tent)

Fourth Thermarest Neoair... 2.5 inches when fully inflated (that's what she said :lol: :oops: ) but when under under inflated it's like a pillowtop mattress with the best view in the world

Finally MH chicken tetrazini(sp) and chili mac..... Om nom nom
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Jeffcee wrote: Id love to see pics of all that gear
Cloak. It's really just a slightly-less-than-queen-size bit of wool cloth, folded over and wrapped around myself. Works great.

Seax. Blade is about 7" long with about a 4" handle.

Flint and steel kit, the pouch I carry it in, and a tin full of char cloth. Usually only takes 1-2 strikes to get a spark on the char cloth, and it's all gravy from there.

Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Yesterday I just picked up a pair of West German wool cargo pants at a local surplus store.

Which reminded me of having gotten the Lester River Boreal shirt this X-mas.

I had forgotten it because I have only gotten to wear it twice since the Pac NW has been fairly warm this winter and the wool Boreal shirt is way too warm to wear in the weather we have had.

I am thinking this combo of wool pants and shirt might actually beat out the BRKT Aurora for favorite when I actually do have colder temps. Good warm clothing can be a much better thing than even a knife in cold weather. Though I still haven't had much chance to wear and test out the two items as it is still pretty warm out here, it is supposed to get up to the 60's today.

*edit to add
BTW love the primitive kit Maeklos. I hope to eventually get or make a nice wool cloak myself. Till then I have a snuggly warm Alpaca wool blanket I can wrap in.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:15 pm

ripstop poncho
woobie
izzy bandage
silcock key
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:40 pm

moderate trauma capable FAK
ripstop poncho/tarp
spare socks
silcock key
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

DeadCanadian

Post by DeadCanadian » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:50 pm

Binder clips:

1. Good to secure wet sock to your pack to dry them out while hiking
2. Good to secure that bandana and wash cloth when drying at camp (they tend to blow away after they are dry)
3. Good to close boil in the bag meals while it is steeping.
4. Lots of other good uses that will come to mind as soon as you realize you packed them on your trip.
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a zombie that cares.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:04 am

Fallkniven F1 knife. Just can't find a knife that works better for me.
Sawyer Mini filter. Really cool, ultra small. (Glaceau Smartwater bottles fit the threads perfectly, btw)
Mercury 4s solar panel. lightweight, plenty of power to charge my gadgets, 2000mah battery onboard.

And I am currently not carrying a silcock key.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”