Portable power solutions thread.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

williaty

Re: Portable power solutions thread.

Post by williaty » Tue May 31, 2016 11:00 am

Murph wrote:I meant something like this:

IMO, those are dumb. The amount of sunlight you can turn into electricity depends on the amount of surface area of your solar panel. That's a tiny panel! I can't even guess how many days of full sun it'd take for that little thing to store enough juice in its battery to recharge an iPad/iPhone.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue May 31, 2016 1:35 pm

designerchick wrote:
designerchick wrote:
Dragon80 wrote:
I have yet to find a good, reliable battery backup that will hold a charge for more than a couple weeks. I got my nephew an Anker as a test for Christmas, need to find out how it's doing for him as I'm sure he uses it daily for his cell phone portable charger.
My Jackery Bar 6000 mAh has held charges for 2 months or more just hanging out in my purse. I know it had been that long since I charged it, but it was honestly very likely longer than that, I just can't remember exactly when I charged it. It still had a full charge and I fully charged my iPhone 5 and my son's iPod with it.
Could I have possibly used the word "charged" any more times in that post? :rofl:

Guilty as Charged!!! :clap:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:40 pm

I have the PowerAdd Apollo 2 and it's okay at charging, terrible at being re-charged by the built-in solar panel.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Tue May 31, 2016 8:51 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Guilty as Charged!!! :clap:
:rofl:

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Tue May 31, 2016 9:34 pm

williaty wrote:

IMO, those are dumb. The amount of sunlight you can turn into electricity depends on the amount of surface area of your solar panel. That's a tiny panel! I can't even guess how many days of full sun it'd take for that little thing to store enough juice in its battery to recharge an iPad/iPhone.
I have one of those, and definitely it is impractical to charge from a dead battery. However, it's useful to put it on the window sill every once in a while to top it off. That way you have a full battery in case of emergencies.

(BTW, now that it's been pointed out, I confess I went back and edited out gratuitous use of the word "charge". :lol: )

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue May 31, 2016 10:24 pm

50 Mission Cap wrote:Just picked up the 16 Watt AllPowers solar panel that WW shows for about $28 shipped directly from China (eBay). Worked great over the weekend for direct charging USB devices.
I also did a review of the high efficiency 14W Allpowers and will post a written and video report soon. That said the 16W standard model is a really great charger for so little money. It has the ability to do two things at once better than a lesser charger.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

111t

Post by 111t » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Here's my take. Still experimental at this point. Beware. It's a bit of an Anker commercial. Just know that I bought all of it. The way I figure it was a bit over $300.

https://youtu.be/NlWqc-Hy8FY
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Return to “Bug Out Gear”