what about a get home bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

streetshark1966

what about a get home bag

Post by streetshark1966 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:14 am

Dose anyone other then me keep one in your car/truck. Just think what you my need to get you home? Maybe being forced to walk home from work, from the other side of town or where ever you are rite now. Tell me how long would it take to get home to all your gear. (you better have a good set of walking shoes) will post pick when I find out how

streetshark1966

Re: what about a get home bag

Post by streetshark1966 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:34 am

Here is a list of what in mine.
my bag is a woodland camo assault pack
maps
100rd 9mm
woodland camo bdu set
3 socks, 2 T-shirts
boney hat
first aid kit
fire starting kit
fishing kit sm
ss water bottle
tomahawk
paracord
small survival knife
lensatic compass

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:39 am

streetshark1966 wrote:Dose anyone other then me keep one in your car/truck.
I'd venture several people on ZS have one and there's been many, many, many threads on the topic.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:57 am

GHB? Yup, lots of us do. When my employer relocated me from a neat 3 mile door to door commute from my house to a crappy 20 odd miles each way one, I upped my game from just the EDC items I could fit in my cargo pants to a GHB.

As an aside, in addition to the bag (a Voodoo Tactical clone of Maxpedition versipack) I keep in my trunk a space bag with a set of field clothes, wool socks and walking boots.

For work I must dress business casual and there is no way I am walking 20 plus miles in loafers :gonk:.

EDIT because I forgot: The reason why I went with a smallish bag for a GHB is because I have a Swissgear Laptop backpack that is for the most part empty and that always gets brought into the office with me, basically it gets used to shuttle my work laptop and wireless mouse to and from work.

I figured if it got to the point that I needed to hoof it, I'd leave my company laptop in my office and pack up the kit I keep in there in addition to transferring the gear from the GHB to the Swissgear bag.

I might list the inventory for the GHB and how it is meant to supplement the fairly innocuous SHTF items I keep in my cube when I have more time later.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:17 pm

I had the fortune opposite of mr_slappy75, I went from a 35 mile one way commute to work, down to a 3 mile commute. I have reduced my "GHB" down to on person carry. Of course, I have other back up options should what I carry on person not be adequte.

Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:24 pm

I have a 14 mile commute from home to work. I basically have a daypack that I use for hiking anyway.

A Kelty Bivy bag shelter
Mora-light my fire knife
a bic lighter
Alcohol stove with a bottle of HEET
Metal cup
Headlamp
Small AA flashlight
Some water purification tablets
a 2L Platypus water bladder (empty but I usually have a some bottled water in the car)
Small first aid/blowout kit (not including a full FAK in the car)
a Dri-duck poncho

I also keep a rain jacket, and a fleece jacket in my vehicle that will fit in the pack if I need to carry it.

I wear dress shoes, but I wear comfortable & waterproof Rockports, and when the weather is warm I usually walk 2 to 3 miles a day during lunch in the same shoes anyway, so 14 miles will be not that big of a deal.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:41 pm

I don't usually have to travel more than 10 miles. But probably 8 times a year I travel 400-800 miles one way (eventually I turn around and come back). My bag is kind of a "GHB" and kind of a "I might forget something while camping or traveling and so I have some extras stashed" sorta bag/box. I work a LOT with summer/youth camps, so probably half of my gear is there to fill the gap if I forgot something, or if one of my kiddos needs something.
Last edited by woodsghost on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:28 pm

I have a get home bag in my car. It has essentials. The commute is roughly 20 miles each way.

One day last year when commuting with my girlfriend I had a light workload and left work a little early. I walked about 11 of the 20 miles. Enough to go from downtown San Francisco through the city, over the golden gate bridge and through Sausalito. At that time my girlfriend got off work and I grabbed a ride for the rest of the way. It was raining. It was cold. I had what I wore to work and my EDC gear which was fine for the trip (though, I may have worn more comfortable walking shoes and socks instead of nicer looking work shoes for an intentional trip like that).

I drank less than 20 oz of water from a 1L foldable bottle. I ate about 3 handfuls of trailmix for a snack. I used a rechargeable battery to recharge my phone so I could continue to listen to music. I had a rain jacket (a thin Columbia hardshell packable layer), I had a layering item for warmth. I used a watch cap for warmth. I used some mechanix gloves for warmth. I used a shamagh for warmth. With these items I was comfortable and entertained, though my legs and feet were wet.

I feel confident that I could have continued to walk to get home, and if my girlfriend hadn't called to say she was on her way to grab me for dinner I would have continued to walk. Walking 20 miles isn't the end of the world. I feel confident that if I had an injury or if the shoes became too uncomfortable to continue in, I certainly could have called a cab, called a friend, or taken a bus, or ferry. I certainly know people along the way and could have stopped at a friend's house.

There isn't much of anything in my get home bag that would have made the trip more comfortable. More food (but I didn't need more food). More water, but I didn't drink all of the water I had. I certainly didn't need to make a shelter or to tie anything up with a bunch of paracord. The poncho in the car would have covered more of my legs than my rain jacket did, but the water was seeping up anyhow. I didn't need a flashlight, but I carry one EDC anyhow. There was nothing that needed to be cut and my knife was just weight on my pants like every other day. I managed to walk through gang territory and past crack dens without fearing for my life (though, my regular 3 mile walk across the city carries me through all of that anyhow). I don't carry a gun or ammo in my get home bag, but they certainly wouldn't have helped if I had them with me.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:34 pm

zero11010 wrote:I have a get home bag in my car. It has essentials. The commute is roughly 20 miles each way.

One day last year when commuting with my girlfriend I had a light workload and left work a little early. I walked about 11 of the 20 miles. Enough to go from downtown San Francisco through the city, over the golden gate bridge and through Sausalito. At that time my girlfriend got off work and I grabbed a ride for the rest of the way. It was raining. It was cold. I had what I wore to work and my EDC gear which was fine for the trip (though, I may have worn more comfortable walking shoes and socks instead of nicer looking work shoes for an intentional trip like that).

I drank less than 20 oz of water from a 1L foldable bottle. I ate about 3 handfuls of trailmix for a snack. I used a rechargeable battery to recharge my phone so I could continue to listen to music. I had a rain jacket (a thin Columbia hardshell packable layer), I had a layering item for warmth. I used a watch cap for warmth. I used some mechanix gloves for warmth. I used a shamagh for warmth. With these items I was comfortable and entertained, though my legs and feet were wet.

I feel confident that I could have continued to walk to get home, and if my girlfriend hadn't called to say she was on her way to grab me for dinner I would have continued to walk. Walking 20 miles isn't the end of the world. I feel confident that if I had an injury or if the shoes became too uncomfortable to continue in, I certainly could have called a cab, called a friend, or taken a bus, or ferry. I certainly know people along the way and could have stopped at a friend's house.

There isn't much of anything in my get home bag that would have made the trip more comfortable. More food (but I didn't need more food). More water, but I didn't drink all of the water I had. I certainly didn't need to make a shelter or to tie anything up with a bunch of paracord. The poncho in the car would have covered more of my legs than my rain jacket did, but the water was seeping up anyhow. I didn't need a flashlight, but I carry one EDC anyhow. There was nothing that needed to be cut and my knife was just weight on my pants like every other day. I managed to walk through gang territory and past crack dens without fearing for my life (though, my regular 3 mile walk across the city carries me through all of that anyhow). I don't carry a gun or ammo in my get home bag, but they certainly wouldn't have helped if I had them with me.
+1 to this.

Most Car kits should have the basics of this anyway. Rain gear to keep you dry if your have to change a tire in the rain. A small flashlight (or headlamp) if you need to change a tire in the dark. Mechanics gloves in case you need to fix something with your car but you need to keep your hands clean (going to a wedding or job interview). Some bottled water in the car is great when you need to wash something off or you are stuck broken down somewhere waiting for a tow, it good to have some water and a snack while you wait. Most of the stuff you need for a GHB is already in a your car, you just need a small pack to carry it in.

I love hiking, and some people think I am nuts for doing it, but walking over 10 to 20 miles in one shot is something preppers should try at least once. Most people who are physically capable and at least in OK shape can do it, its just an eye opening experience. All you really need is water, snacks (sugary and salty help), and basic protection from the elements but don't bundle up too much because your body will heat up.

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:01 am

I have a 27 mile commute each way. If I have to travel on foot it's about 17-19 miles depending on detours. I work nights so a flashlight and extra batteries are a necessity. I always have a streamlight protac 2aa and a microstream and spare batteries for both. I think I need to go through my bag and lighten my load though. Maps are obviously staying. I have one map that covers the entire route home and 3 others that go into significantly more detail and have specific routes home marked on them. I only carry a maxpedition typhoon 2.

I always have my Glock 19 on me in either an iwb or owb holster. An extra mag in my pocket. 2-3 extra mags in my bag. A box of 50 rounds I keep in the car. (Never know when I might have a chance to go shooting). I have about 25ft of paracord that I use regularly. I carry a benchmade minigriptillian. Always have at least half a case of bottled water with me. I am going to down grade my fire kit in my bag to 2 mini bic lighters and 2 wet fire cubes. I have a small first aid kit. I currently use an ecigarette so I have extra fluid and parts that are lightweight and don't take up much room. I plan on quitting within a year. It got me off smoking. I have my iPad that is always with me. I should probably start leaving that at home as its a lot of extra weight. Spare set of clothing in my car. Other miscellaneous items. I need to stick to the necessities and get rid of some comfort items. Sometimes I feel like I live out of my car.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:33 am

My GHB and my EDC bag are one in the same. I keep extra uniform (work), street clothes, small alcohol stove, 3oz of alcohol, USG canteen cup, half a dozen cliff bars (I eat them routinely to keep them good), 3L of water, during winter I have a nice soft shell jacket with a hood, water tabs, tube of matches, fire starter kit, 10,000mah battery, charging cables, survival blanket, survival poncho, p38, multi tool (is kept in my locker since I work in a secure area), chapstick, 50' of cordage, a 32oz kleen kanteen, and misc other things I've thrown in my bag and forgotten about.

It goes everywhere I do. On the rare occasion it is not on my person it is normally within at least 30feet from me. People at work think it is VERY odd if I dont have it on.... In fact today I didn't have it on, and someone was actually concerned and asked where it was (it was about 10 feet from me).
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JDLampy

Post by JDLampy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Yeap I got one. Not a far walk from work for me. To be honest I wouldn't need one to go home from worK but disaster might hit at any time. I just have some basics. Water, clif bars, tarp, bandana, medical kit, duc tape, zip ties, paracord, lighter and a few other things I can't recall at the moment. Basic stuff to get by for a short time or stuff to imprevise with. I plan on making it better when I get a chance. Need to add a knife even though I always have one on me but hey stuff happens right?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Another long term GHB owner. For me personally, the idea of a GHB is more attractive than a BOB because I can conceive of few plausible scenarios where it would make more sense to bug out than it would to bug in.

My GHB lives in the trunk of my car. Food and water, UST Base Hex tarp/paracord, 45 deg sleeping bag, isobutane backpacking stove and solo cookset. First aid kit, Eton FR160 hand crank/solar radio, folding knife with integral firestarter, LED headlamp, compass, maps and extra clothing. A sturdy pair of hiking boots, extra wool socks, work gloves and a Gore-tex shell parka. Basic toiletries. This time of year I supplement it with a fleece jacket, a nylon down vest that stuffs into it's own pocket, insulated gloves, a pile hat, neck gator and a heavier sleeping bag. It all lives in a North Face day and half pack for that low profile, grey man look. I also have a Ridgerest foam sleeping pad and straps in the trunk that I could in theory attach to my GHB, but I'm not sure I'd elect to do that if I were facing a difficult trek home.

I also have a pared down, ultra lightweight version of this kit in a waist pack that is stored in the side case of my Kawasaki KLR650 for when I ride to work during the summer months. It would take a grim situation indeed (or maybe an EMP) to make me elect to walk home rather than attempting the trek with the KLR.

The journey home from work is about 15 miles, if I could stick to major roads. My planning assumes I won't be able to do that so I'm prepared for up to two nights/three days of bushwhacking and detours.

The toiletries are key because along with the extra clothing, this kit has already saved my bacon twice when mechanical problems and a weather emergency have kept me in town unexpectedly. I'm a firm believer in building extra flexibility/capability into your preps so they will serve you well in common emergencies short of the proverbial apocalypse.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:49 pm

My setup is here, 3 pages of bickering too. I'm going to do a writeup of how it looks now as I revamped it over the last few months.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=104329
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

wildman800

Post by wildman800 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:07 pm

All my gear got soaked during the rains in SE Texas the last two days. I laid everything out to dry and found that I'd left out toilet paper the last time I organized it. This won't do!! I'll repack today!
The best luck is what you make yourself!

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm not speaking for anyone else, nor am I advocating that others should do or feel as I do on this matter, but I do not see the practical value of a GHB for me. It'd be yet another layer for something I've already covered several times over, but in and of itself would be of no value.

The furthest I get away from home is while I'm at work. If something happened where most folks are pulling out their GHBs, I'm probably about to get assigned a whole bunch of mandatory OT. "Getting Home" isn't going to be on the agenda.

If I were off of work, the items in my EDC and vehicle kit are far more than adequate to get home, and is already arranged in a portable manner. Even without that equipment, I'd probably be just fine, as the furthest out I go is still within the city/county area. I've made arrangements with enough establishments and people throughout Saint Louis that if I needed something, I could get it, and it'd be within walking distance.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:03 pm

LJ126 wrote:I'm not speaking for anyone else, nor am I advocating that others should do or feel as I do on this matter, but I do not see the practical value of a GHB for me. It'd be yet another layer for something I've already covered several times over, but in and of itself would be of no value.

The furthest I get away from home is while I'm at work. If something happened where most folks are pulling out their GHBs, I'm probably about to get assigned a whole bunch of mandatory OT. "Getting Home" isn't going to be on the agenda.

Indeed. The point at which prepping becomes more than a hobby is when we each do our own personal risk assessment and situational analysis. And then plan/equip accordingly.

If for specific, personal reasons you find yourself at least occasionally deviating from the interwebz Prepper hive-consensus, you're likely doing it right.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”