Grappling Hook for BOB

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Scout Actual

Grappling Hook for BOB

Post by Scout Actual » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to pose the question and get some thoughts for the idea of a grappling hook in a BOB or Survival Kit. I'm primarily talking about small, non-weight-bearing model such as the CountyComm Micro or Pocket Grappling Hooks
http://www.countycomm.com/microhook.html
http://www.countycomm.com/hook.html

But we can also discuss a full size one like this
http://www.botach.com/products/mr-grappling-hook.html

Thoughts? I have a CountyComm Pocket Grappling Hook (because it is cool) and I want to include it in a kit... but I don't know what I'd do with it! :rofl:
Firearms Training
- Tactical Response: Fighting Pistol
Survival Training
- Dave Canterbury: Pathfinder Basics
Medical Training
- WMI: Wilderness First Aid

manowar1313

Re: Grappling Hook for BOB

Post by manowar1313 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Well... I live in Kansas. Nuff said about usefulness in my BOB.

For the rest of the states, I can think of a few uses for it but really I think it's not needed. Most places you'd need to climb to are going to already be accessible already (Stairs, ect.) and the risk of falling to your death making it not worth the weight.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:44 pm

I would put it at the top of your list of things to ditch when your pack gets heavy, but if you think you need it go for it.

I just have one important question. How many pull ups can you do? If you cannot do at least eight, you have no business climbing or scaling, that's my club's rule.

From the pocket grapple hook page
These hooks are not certified for life support activities and should not be used for any life support function. They are designed to pull trip wires.
The big one seems good for scaling and such.

Could you propose a likely situation that you would need something like that?

Some military folding shovels can be used as a grapple hook, like this one.

http://smile.amazon.com/Chinese-Militar ... ing+shovel
Last edited by Apathy on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:45 am

We carried them in the military but they were meant for mine field clearing of trip wire mines. We only carried them on our vehicles.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:55 am

Wouldn't a rock on a string do pretty much the same trip wire clearing duty?

And rocks are free and everyplace.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:20 am

MacAttack wrote:Wouldn't a rock on a string do pretty much the same trip wire clearing duty?

And rocks are free and everyplace.
We used them because they can hook a wire or 2x4 that's buried just so under a bit of sand. Sling it out past the suspected doohickey, get low and drag it slowly back toward you, watching for any disturbance that would indicate that the hook has snagged something. The idea, at least when we were doing it, was just to move the thing ever-so-slightly enough to confirm that the thing was there, not to try to drag it back or detonate the device.

Still, I wouldn't take one on a bugout.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:36 am

Yeah, some mines were triggered by two pieces of garden hose just under the dirt about 2 feet apart... Run over it with a wheeled vehicle you are good, tracked vehicle that trips both triggers at same time and badness.

Just not a whole lot of practical application in a bug out situation that I think would justify the weight of a grappling hook.

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:03 am

They would be useful in retrieving your bag if you dropped it in a river or down a ravine. No good if it's in your bag together with the paracord though.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:32 am

Dead_Like_Disco wrote:We carried them in the military but they were meant for mine field clearing of trip wire mines. We only carried them on our vehicles.
Wow learned something new today, of course I don't see many mine fields in my AO.
Hoipoloi wrote:They would be useful in retrieving your bag if you dropped it in a river or down a ravine. No good if it's in your bag together with the paracord though.
If you eventually put enough junk in your BOB you won't have to worry about it floating down river. I think these things are definitely tacticool.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:37 am

I guess "clearing" was the wrong word. We'd call in M1s with rollers or a plow for that if we couldn't get the engineers out there. Plenty of mines and IEDs in Iraq in 2003. I was a 19D.

Scout Actual

Post by Scout Actual » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:11 am

Apathy wrote:I would put it at the top of your list of things to ditch when you're pack gets heavy, but if you think you need it go for it.
Could you propose a likely situation that you would need something like that?
Don't misunderstand me, I'm in the same boat mentally. I can't justify carrying it and I don't know what I'd use it for. It's just cool and I was hoping someone would have a really good use for it that I could adopt.
Apathy wrote:I just have one important question. How many pull ups can you do? If you cannot do at least eight, you have no business climbing or scaling, that's my club's rule.
Don't worry on this front. I rock climb in my spare time. I'm very familiar with what is and isn't climbing rated. I do sets up 15+ "real" pull ups during back day.
Firearms Training
Survival Training
Medical Training

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:21 am

i have had one of teh ciuntry comm ones for years now, played with it a couple of times, and have never needed it for anything resembling real use in that time.

it did save me feom getting out a ladder once to get a freezbee off the roof.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 am

I'm reaching but just thought I'd give it a shot for practical applications.

Moving a downed power line out of a road?

Breaking a window from a safe distance (the ceramic insulator from a spark plug tied to a string does a way better job).

And I'm spent.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am

On trips where we might be camping in bear country, I have carried a small arborist throwbag to accurately send 550 cord up into trees and hoist our packs off the ground.

Maybe check one of those out if you need to throw an extended length of cord for some reason?

DeadCanadian

Post by DeadCanadian » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 pm

They are useful in boats and canoes where you may have to retreive overboard gear.

The lightest and cheapest way to get one is to go the a marine fishing store and buy a large trebble hook; you may want to clip off the barbs with a bolt cutter or hacksaw as I did or you may want to leave it pointy depending on what you are retreaving. They are cheap enough to buy 2. If you want a flatter version then either buy a single hook or a trebble and cut off one of the sections to make a flat two sided hook.
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a zombie that cares.

Scout Actual

Post by Scout Actual » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 pm

DeadCanadian wrote:They are useful in boats and canoes where you may have to retreive overboard gear.

The lightest and cheapest way to get one is to go the a marine fishing store and buy a large trebble hook; you may want to clip off the barbs with a bolt cutter or hacksaw as I did or you may want to leave it pointy depending on what you are retreaving. They are cheap enough to buy 2. If you want a flatter version then either buy a single hook or a trebble and cut off one of the sections to make a flat two sided hook.
I like that answer! Boat kit... then the weight isn't as important either!
Firearms Training
Survival Training
Medical Training

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:53 am

I have a County Comm micro grappling hook. I've used it as a throwing weight to get some paracord over the top of a 10'x20' tarp canopy, and last winter I used it to retrieve my coffee cup when the cup fell off the porch railing into a snowbank.

Sent via carrier wave.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:15 am

It'd make a really nice back scratcher. I just hate it when you get that itch you just can't reach....

It could be a tactical back scratcher: a tac-scratcher
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

WolfSpring

Post by WolfSpring » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:45 am

Not that I'd want one, but they are great for hooking triple strand concertina wire and pulling it down. Great for throwing up in a tree then hoisting something like a deer up. There are a lot of great uses for them that people don't think of, but their usefulness in a bob I don't see it.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”