MREs: Long Range Patrol LRP, your experience?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

atod

MREs: Long Range Patrol LRP, your experience?

Post by atod » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Folks,

The LRP MREs are the ones that are mostly freeze dried and lighter weight. I have noticed a small amount of new ones on Ebay, however they are selling even in bulk for almost $12.50/meal. Has anyone had experience with these that they can share?

Mountain House single entree is about $8.50 so given the extra goodies in LRP MREs, it seems in line with Mountain House pricing. Wondering people's thoughts here as well.

Thanks again

Dead_Like_Disco

Re: MREs: Long Range Patrol LRP, your experience?

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:49 am

When I was in I was issued them in Alaska since they didn't freeze. It's nothing you can't get out of a mountain house meal and some datrex bars. Add in some trail mix, powdered beverages and such then you've pretty much got an LRRP ration.

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:55 am

I wish mountain house had the compact packaging. Other than price that's one reason I don't like to use them, light but bulky.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:23 am

Burncycle wrote:I wish mountain house had the compact packaging. Other than price that's one reason I don't like to use them, light but bulky.
They have less bulky versions of their food. You want the "pro-pak" variety. The pictures don't do the difference much justice. Basically, there is less packaging and the food is vacuum sealed.

Bulky:

Compact:

Most camping stores (in the area I live in) sell both varieties.

http://www.mountainhouse.com/M/category/MHPRO.html

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:40 am

I really like those MH Pro Packs. The difference in space consumed is startling.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

wpick

Post by wpick » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:14 am

I us the pro-pack meals in my version of a 24 hr Long Range Patrol Ration. It all fits in (somehow) into a large food grade bag I get from PackitGourmet <http://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html> I have 4 versions of the menu A typical 24 hr menu weighs 16 oz and contains almost 2100 calories:

One Mountain House Pro-pak 4 oz 480 cals
One Cytomax drink mix 1.4 oz 140 cals
One Payday or Chocolate bar 1.8 oz 280 cals
five oz of Homemade Gorp 669 cals
One Wal-Mart Iced Tea mix 0.007 oz 10 cals
One Hormel Hard Pepperoni Stix 0.75 oz 140 cals
One Toaster Pop Tart 3.7 oz 400 cals
Four pieces of Jolt Chewing gum 0.03 oz 20 cals

atod

Post by atod » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:14 am

wpick wrote:I us the pro-pack meals in my version of a 24 hr Long Range Patrol Ration. It all fits in (somehow) into a large food grade bag I get from PackitGourmet <http://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html> I have 4 versions of the menu A typical 24 hr menu weighs 16 oz and contains almost 2100 calories:

One Mountain House Pro-pak 4 oz 480 cals
One Cytomax drink mix 1.4 oz 140 cals
One Payday or Chocolate bar 1.8 oz 280 cals
five oz of Homemade Gorp 669 cals
One Wal-Mart Iced Tea mix 0.007 oz 10 cals
One Hormel Hard Pepperoni Stix 0.75 oz 140 cals
One Toaster Pop Tart 3.7 oz 400 cals
Four pieces of Jolt Chewing gum 0.03 oz 20 cals
Great combo. I wonder what the ballpark cost of above is and potential storage shelf life? I think the LRP are 5 years. Standard MREs are 3 at 70 something degrees storage.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:28 am

atod wrote: Great combo. I wonder what the ballpark cost of above is and potential storage shelf life? I think the LRP are 5 years. Standard MREs are 3 at 70 something degrees storage.
I don't want to force anyone to eat anything they don't think is safe....... But I bought about 40 of the Louisiana Red Beans and rice, along with a couple others about 7 years ago. The ones my cat didn't get to (she loved plastic bag and chewed her way through at least a dozen) are STILL going strong. Shelf life of them, 3 years. I ate at least 9 of them over the summer while camping and have about a dozen left.

Edit: Fixed my horrid spelling
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

atod

Post by atod » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:43 pm

wpick wrote:I us the pro-pack meals in my version of a 24 hr Long Range Patrol Ration. It all fits in (somehow) into a large food grade bag I get from PackitGourmet <http://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html> I have 4 versions of the menu A typical 24 hr menu weighs 16 oz and contains almost 2100 calories:
LRP pricing seems to be fairly in line with that of Mountain House and meal add ons like Cliff bars. Given the price of LRPs on Ebay ($150 for 12 menus) and calorie content (~1540 cal/menu), that results in $12.50 per ~1540 cals. For an active male hiker, I would suspect x2 of the LRPs menu's should be sufficient for daily caloric intake. Perhaps one reason why building one's own LRPs is more suitable in non-combative situations, because the calories can be spread out more through the day.

http://nsrdec.natick.army.mil/media/fac ... cw_lrp.pdf

HorseSoldier

Post by HorseSoldier » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:20 pm

And you can get better menu options for personal preferences.

I do Pro-Packs for dinner/main meal, instant oatmeal for breakfast, some trail snacks and hot/cold drink mix in vacuum seal bags and can get a 24 hour ration into a package around the size and weight (or lighter) than a single MRE. The LRP rations are lighter, but even at two a day it cubes out to more volume, and two a day still probably weighs more than one of my home packed 24 hour kits.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:30 pm

I've had C rats, K rats, and LRRPs. I think they all have a lot of room for improvement, but they all beat starving. I always found that each of them also left me hungry. On the other hand, I've tried the Mainstay rations and a few others, and was frankly surprised. Tho they certainly don't make me feel "full", they DO keep me from feeling hungry for quite some time. As a result, I've shifted my BOB supply to the Mainstay rations, and can fit a weeks worth of calories into the volume needed for one day of LRRPS rations. This let's me pack a months' worth of food into a medium ALICE pack, and still fit the rest of my load out in there, while also staying within my self imposed weight limit of 35 to 40 pounds. The only downside to this decision, is that eventually, you get tired of the lemon flavored cookies, and would probably get to the point of wanting to kill for a steak, even if you're vegan.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”