recommended MRE source? Trays any good?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: recommended MRE source? Trays any good?

Post by moab » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 am

Laevatein wrote:
none1 wrote:Hi all! I stocked a couple boxes of MREs a few years back, been slowly eating them on camp trips. Now its time to buy more .....

1) Anyone got a good recommendation for brand or source for MREs? Where's a good price?
2) Anyone tried any of the MRE trays? They look REALLY cheap (like, $10 for pounds of food). Do they last as long as full MREs?

Thanks for any current tips!
Major Surplus and Survival
Address: 435 W Alondra Blvd, Gardena, CA 90248
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 6PM
Phone: (310) 324-8855

You can buy just the meal's separately, and not have
to buy the whole pouch.
That's my surplus store too. Good place. They have a website as well with pretty good deals on surplus goods. https://www.majorsurplus.com/

And here's their mre section. https://www.majorsurplus.com/disaster-p ... mre-s.html
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

none1

Post by none1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks all, I appreciate the new 2018 replies to my 2014 thread .... I just moved and its probably time to buy more MREs for the new house. :)
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:43 pm

jeepinbandtrider wrote:I've never understood the MREs stop me up complaint. Maybe it's because I grew up eating them on and off with my Dad being an Army Infantryman, but I've never had any digestive issues with MREs. Infact the new ones are so probably better than most American's cooking lol.

The ones I grew up on were the dark brown packaged ones that had things like the Rat poison bar shaped oatmeal bar. That thing was awesome. Loved it. And the freeze dried peaches you could pour water in. I always ate them by biting off a piece then taking a drink of water and swishing it around in my mouth :P

After I joined the Marine Corps and everyone was miserable eating MREs up "north" at Camp Pendelton during Basic and MCT I was trucking along like it was no big deal in the bowel movement department.

Dunno guess over time and depending on how you grew up things just seem normal and not a big deal.
I happened to have done a summer internship at the Army Deputy Chief of Staff for Research and Development. One of the reports I read was on MREs and soldiers getting plugged up. You need to drink a lot more water to keep the plumbing clear.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 am

Plugged up is not a bad thing. If you prefer being regular then follow the advice and stay well hydrated. With acute stress such as extreme fear there is often an elimination of relaxation control. Better a controlled release of mass than the uncontrolled and often violent release of liquid because this also brings about the diseases that follow an army. There is an old saying,
"In war the skinny die and the fat get skinny."
Dysentery and other ailments have stopped armies in their tracks. It's not the stuff that makes the pages of the best sellers, which chronicle feats of heroism and glory.
Having spoken with a few Iwo Jima vets, there seemed to be a constant theme among men in the follow on waves about finding shell holes and other depressions people could use as shelter from fire that were full of waste by the time they were reoccupied. Sanitation is not something that is discussed very often here, but if you want to learn more plan a 5 day camping trip with 150 of your friends this summer.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:14 pm

According to my son who came back from NYC this spring , the tray meals are as bad tasting or worse than the Mares. Especially the self heating ones.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”