recommended MRE source? Trays any good?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

none1

recommended MRE source? Trays any good?

Post by none1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi all! I stocked a couple boxes of MREs a few years back, been slowly eating them on camp trips. Now its time to buy more .....

1) Anyone got a good recommendation for brand or source for MREs? Where's a good price?
2) Anyone tried any of the MRE trays? They look REALLY cheap (like, $10 for pounds of food). Do they last as long as full MREs?

Thanks for any current tips!
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

woodsghost

Re: recommended MRE source? Trays any good?

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Personally, I would go with government MREs, and the best places are Ebay and your local surplus place. At least, Ebay used to be a good place. I have not looked at them in a few years. I currently go though local surplus places.

There are certain issues with buying government ones, so they are not sold in large quantities, last I checked. Well, your local surplus place does not care how many you buy, only that your money is green.

Check this place out for important information:

http://www.mreinfo.com/
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:11 pm

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 am

The t-rat trays taste pretty much like MREs. They're a good deal if you have enough mouths to feed. Not so much if there's only a couple people eating.

ETA: I just read a couple sources that say t-rats are only good for 3 years of storage from time of manufacture.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:08 pm

The T-Rats are the same as stated and are quite a bit of food. IMO They're far better for the price than MRE's, just much more difficult to carry. The best side I've had personally is the Sweet Potato and Coconut Casserole.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Dragon80 wrote:The best side I've had personally is the Sweet Potato and Coconut Casserole.
The apples and cinnamon desert here, actually very good.

Haven't bought any since a semi-large order back in about 2004. The trays of cubed potatoes weren't bad, if the gelatinous grease they were packed in was rinsed off in a strainer and the potatoes fried afterwards. The ham slices in brine were tolerable, spamish. The chicken (dumplings, I think) weren't very good imo - but I wasn't starving either. They've been stored at about 65 degs or less since then, next time I have a small crew to feed I'll try to remember to open one, see how well they stored, and report back.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:10 pm

The gigantic tray of sausage links is straight up ridiculous. It's 6lb of sausage. It's all you need to have a sausage party, but good luck getting them all in your mouth. :awesome:
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 pm

T-rat cheese grits and bacon are damned good.

Until I had shrimp and grits in a restaurant they were the only way I liked grits.
Boldly going nowhere

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm

All of the T-Rats I've had have been horrible, especially the breakfast ones. I'd take a MRE over them any day.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:31 am

Another vote for http://theepicenter.com/

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:19 am

Max recommends skipping the T Rat sausages...I think I'll take him at his word.

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Das Sheep wrote:Another vote for http://theepicenter.com/
Third vote for The Epicenter. I purchased a half case of MREs and some additional side items from them about 18 months ago. They have a nice variety and they list production dates for all of the individual items. In my experience, their ratings were spot on for entrees and sides.

none1

Post by none1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks all!

I went with https://theepicenter.com/mre_military_m ... o_eat.html got a few half boxes to try different brands, then got a TON of "miscellaneous" stuff ... first strike bars, first strike sandwiches, 12 packs of cookies, brownies, other stuff, then a bunch of single main entrees to try out different ones.

Stayed away from the meal trays, as they didn't seem to have good ones in stock at the moment.

Thanks!
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:20 pm

crypto wrote:The gigantic tray of sausage links is straight up ridiculous. It's 6lb of sausage. It's all you need to have a sausage party, but good luck getting them all in your mouth. :awesome:
By contrast, the eggs remind one of the type of thing that would be served on Hell, should Satan be a particularly cruel fellow.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:08 pm

I never understood anyone's inclination to store military food. Jesus, that stuff is crap. We had recipes to make all of that stuff palatable, either masking the flavor or changing it drastically. There is a reason that most places have locals who make food for the troops when they pass by, we'd buy anything to avoid eating what they were giving us.

Really, the civilian stuff is light years ahead and after a shitty day of fighting zombies I'd rather have some good food that didn't come back to haunt me in one way or another.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Das Sheep wrote:Another vote for http://theepicenter.com/
No coffee cake? I love the MRE coffee cakes, anyone know where I could get some?

ETA holy shitsnacks the Epicenter is in my AO, gonna have to pay them a visit!

ETA2 and they went through one of the same hurricanes I did.
Last edited by Dogan on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:I never understood anyone's inclination to store military food. Jesus, that stuff is crap. We had recipes to make all of that stuff palatable, either masking the flavor or changing it drastically. There is a reason that most places have locals who make food for the troops when they pass by, we'd buy anything to avoid eating what they were giving us.

Really, the civilian stuff is light years ahead and after a shitty day of fighting zombies I'd rather have some good food that didn't come back to haunt me in one way or another.

Haven't tried the civi version stuff. I keep a couple cases of MRE's on rotation though (epicenter buyer here too btw). I canabalize them for hikes here and there, but mainly leave the shipped packages just the way they are. Easy to just keep 4 cases stacked in the closet. Could toss them in the car if needed in a hurry or they can just hang out there until they 'expire' and I donate them. Might swing a case of the civi's in to give them a try!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

none1

Post by none1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:59 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:I never understood anyone's inclination to store military food. Jesus, that stuff is crap. We had recipes to make all of that stuff palatable, either masking the flavor or changing it drastically. There is a reason that most places have locals who make food for the troops when they pass by, we'd buy anything to avoid eating what they were giving us.

Well, MRE are easy and convenient, and in places where there are no fires allowed, they still give you a hot meal where its harder to boil water for the MT House. :)

I actually don't mind the MRE taste, and don't have issues out the other end either. Long shelf life, and easy fast to go. I do have lots of civy stuff. They're just part of an overall supply.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:28 pm

none1 wrote:

Well, MRE are easy and convenient, and in places where there are no fires allowed, they still give you a hot meal where its harder to boil water for the MT House. :)

I actually don't mind the MRE taste, and don't have issues out the other end either. Long shelf life, and easy fast to go. I do have lots of civy stuff. They're just part of an overall supply.
TheLastOne wrote:Haven't tried the civi version stuff. I keep a couple cases of MRE's on rotation though (epicenter buyer here too btw). I canabalize them for hikes here and there, but mainly leave the shipped packages just the way they are. Easy to just keep 4 cases stacked in the closet. Could toss them in the car if needed in a hurry or they can just hang out there until they 'expire' and I donate them. Might swing a case of the civi's in to give them a try!
Yeah, I hear y'all and sort of agree but I've lived on those for weeks. I'll pass. Or in the case of my bowels, not. :lol:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:21 pm

I've never understood the MREs stop me up complaint. Maybe it's because I grew up eating them on and off with my Dad being an Army Infantryman, but I've never had any digestive issues with MREs. Infact the new ones are so probably better than most American's cooking lol.

The ones I grew up on were the dark brown packaged ones that had things like the Rat poison bar shaped oatmeal bar. That thing was awesome. Loved it. And the freeze dried peaches you could pour water in. I always ate them by biting off a piece then taking a drink of water and swishing it around in my mouth :P

After I joined the Marine Corps and everyone was miserable eating MREs up "north" at Camp Pendelton during Basic and MCT I was trucking along like it was no big deal in the bowel movement department.

Dunno guess over time and depending on how you grew up things just seem normal and not a big deal.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Man, I really enjoy MREs now that I don't have to knife-fight to avoid the veggie meals. No-wipers all week.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:17 am

Yet another vote for theepicenter.com from me. They also do great reviews of some of the food products they sell on their YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/user/EpicenterBryan

They are very honest about what they sell on their, giving thumbs down or mediocre reviews of their own product more than once.
I ordered a couple T-rats from them along with probably a full case of different sides and entrees. I'm about to tear into the T-rats because they are reaching their 3-year mark. I'll see if I can remember to post up on how they tasted.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:32 pm

So following a recent problem with leaking evaporated milk cans in my deep larder / Long Term Storage foods I've begun the review and re-inventory process, which admittedly may be a few years overdue. The vast majority of this LTS food is buckets of beans, rice, wheat flour, and pasta, and a lot of canned goods. I'm filling our everyday-use pantry to overflowing with the older canned goods to put it into rotation and will buy more to replenish the LTS stores, but in the back corner I find a couple cases of T-Rats and remembered this thread.

They're a little past the re-inspection date:

No bulging noted. Opened and drained off the brine, they look and smell fine:

Ate two out of the tray, they taste like I remember. Spouse wanted to try one but I made her wait an hour in case I should need medical attention lol. Think she likes them more than me. So, guess we'll be frying them up with eggs for breakfast for the next few weeks (assuming no mad dashes to the bathroom at 2am tomorrow morning). The rest of the case is going back to LTS, and need to open a tray of "Potatoes, Diced in Sauce" to see how they fared next.

Oh, and sorry for the late reply :)
Last edited by CrossCut on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laevatein
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most

Post by Laevatein » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 pm

none1 wrote:Hi all! I stocked a couple boxes of MREs a few years back, been slowly eating them on camp trips. Now its time to buy more .....

1) Anyone got a good recommendation for brand or source for MREs? Where's a good price?
2) Anyone tried any of the MRE trays? They look REALLY cheap (like, $10 for pounds of food). Do they last as long as full MREs?

Thanks for any current tips!
Major Surplus and Survival
Address: 435 W Alondra Blvd, Gardena, CA 90248
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 6PM
Phone: (310) 324-8855

You can buy just the meal's separately, and not have
to buy the whole pouch.
'oderint dum metuant'

Return to “Bug Out Gear”