Advice on packing

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Skuldugary
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead; the original and Ving Rhames. "Say something." haha classic! World War Z and Shaun of the Dead.

Advice on packing

Post by Skuldugary » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 pm

Apologies if this has been done before, but I tried a search couldn't find anything.

I see great posts about 'what' to pack in a bug out bag. What about 'how' to pack a bug out bag?

Operating on a budget I have one of the LA Police Gears 3 day packs http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3- ... pack1.html. Not having had one of those uber expensive packs I can't say how it compares, but it's rugged and holds up well.
Anyway, It's got one main compartment and two outer compartments.

With that in mind what are your recommendations for how to pack a bag like this?
As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge. :clap:
Author of The Grave Diggers series
Image Image

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Re: Advice on packing

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:56 pm

I would take advantage of the compartments to keep some of your smaller bits organized. I've always packed 'up and in' meaning the heaviest things get backed closer to your back and up up with lighter things to the side and back of the pack. You could put a light hammock or bag rolled up on the top. A large poncho could be used to cover the pack and yourself while serving as a shelter, if needed. That's really all a know without knowing what you have to pack in there. Also, you could make use of the molle webbing and attach some various bits to the sides but I wouldn't add too much to the back webbing. I use one side of my bag for my CS etool and have some pouches strapped to the other.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

rsnurkle
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Resident Evil: Degeneration, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, I am Legend

Post by rsnurkle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:25 am

The "how" to pack any bag usually has two goals:
* packing the bag so it rides well when you're wearing it
* packing the bag so your most commonly used items are easily accessible

There are many resources for loading a pack so it carries well. The main idea is to get the heaviest items you're carrying closest to your center of gravity. You can then put light and bulky items (like a sleeping bag) elsewhere to fill out the pack and help stabilize the load. You can and should always test run your packing plan by loading either your actual equipment, or objects that weight what your equipment weighs, and then going for a nice walk.
(More discussion at: http://www.wildbackpacker.com/backpacki ... -backpack/)

Note:
A) External and internal frames are packed slightly differently.
B) The "center" of gravity differs for men and women.
C) Terrain considerations are also a reason to deviate a bit from the standard locations.
(More discussion at: http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/ft/equipme ... ment.shtml)

RonnyRonin's post from a similar thread also has a nice tip: lay the backpack with the frameside on the ground (versus standing the backpack "up" on its bottom) to load it, so the heaviest weight "falls" into the correct place as you're loading things. (http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 5#p2536675)

Figuring out how to pack so that the gear you need is easily accessible is usually fine tuned through trial and error: go on a lot of trips with your gear and see what works and what doesn't. But for initial ideas about where to put things and how to organize them inside a pack, see the following threads:
How do you organize your bug out bag?
Where do I put all those little things into my BOB?
Organizing your BOB?
B.O.B Packing Issue

And finally, review the "Show off your BOB" thread (http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... =14&t=4103). A lot of people will show their packed bag (in addition to a complete shot of its contents), and then have photos of where everything is located.

Woods Walker
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:58 am

Am I reading that right? Heavy items like water up top? I found what Ospray recommends to be better. Too much weight up top makes me feel unstable. Then again I don't use external framed packs.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/how_to_pack_your_pack

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

rsnurkle
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Resident Evil: Degeneration, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, I am Legend

Post by rsnurkle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Woodswalker, that article includes one of the standard diagrams I was (very briefly) searching for and did not find, thanks for linking to the article.

I have internal frame packs, so my default is always heavy items in the middle, like in the above diagram. This includes water bladders as close to my spine as possible. I think that is the standard for most people.

The impression I've gotten for why deviations from that might ever be recommended is that, for top-heavy people (usually men, who have a center of gravity in their chest, versus women who tend to carry it in their hips) wearing external frame packs (that don't sit the load right up against the spine), putting heavy items at least as high as, or higher than the center of gravity is intended to make the load feel like it's coming down "in line" with one's center of gravity and being directed into the carrier's hips,so you can walk normally. Versus a load that's below the center of gravity, and makes the carrier feel like they're being pulled backwards and off-balance by the carried weight. But again, I imagine this as a strategy for an external frame/very heavy load/male carrier situation.

Regardless, personally testing the different options based on specific load requirements (and pack construction such as internal frame vs external frame vs frameles packs) should be done by every backpack carrier.

Skuldugary
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead; the original and Ving Rhames. "Say something." haha classic! World War Z and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Skuldugary » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Great stuff guys! Thank you very much for the information.
Image Image

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:09 pm

The important thing with that bag is not to load it with more than 30 lbs.

Skuldugary

Post by Skuldugary » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:37 pm

Boondock wrote:The important thing with that bag is not to load it with more than 30 lbs.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! What about my camp umbrella, fuzzy bunny slippers, 12 pack of Monster Ultra Red? Then there's my 150' of rope, rifle, crossbow, tomahawk, machete, and ammo. I gotta have ammo. :crazy:
Image Image

none1

Post by none1 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:06 pm

Boondock wrote:The important thing with that bag is not to load it with more than 30 lbs.
This.
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

Semperparatus1995

Post by Semperparatus1995 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:36 pm

My Camelbak linchpin is about the same size or a bit smaller. I start with my overnight/shelter gear(woobie/poncho in 6x12" stuff sack). This fits snugly at the bottom of my pack. I then pack any other bulkier items ontop(food/cook kit,first aid,water filters) of this in the main compartment. I use all the small pockets on the sides and front for small stuff but organized. cordage in one pocket. Lighting and fire in another. Water treatment and drink mixes in another, signalling/comms/nav in another(the front pocket on the Linchpin is great for maps and a field notebook).

Btw: I just bought some Kifaru Pullouts in mulitple sizes and there better then zip blocs for organizing your kit.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:31 am

When I'm packing a large open sack type pack I use the guidelines that others have already stated. When packing a bag that is more compartmentalized, like my bushcraft type BOB, then I use the compartments based on priority or most used. This pack has two pockets on the top flap, one has my emergency FAK and the other my poncho. Internal dividers on either side carry my g-tex rain pants with suspenders (since they don't fit in the pocket with the poncho) and my tarp goes in the other. There are zippered mesh pockets behind those one with my fire craft kit and the other with my water filter. Everything else goes in the main compartment with consideration for placement by mass of the object. It's a little different packing a compartmentalized pack in my opinion, why have those compartments for easy access to stuff if you are just going to load them with your skittles? Unless you REALLY like skittles that is!

cap6888

Post by cap6888 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:01 am

All of the pictures showing how to pack gear shows keeping heavier gear towards your upper back area, but then shows sleeping bags at the bottom. I use an MSS for my sleep system. I would consider this a heavier item due to its weight. So that being said, is it still best packed at the bottom, or should I try and pack it higher up against my back?

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:06 am

30lbs in that little assault pack would be dreadful :shock:

Here's a tutorial I put together a few years back: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=97914
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 am

MSS is a bear to carry. I'd always carry mine inside a pack on the bottom more because it's the last thing I'd need at the end of the day and it's too much of a PITA to pull out or unstrap elsewhere.

Woods Walker
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:19 pm

cap6888 wrote:All of the pictures showing how to pack gear shows keeping heavier gear towards your upper back area, but then shows sleeping bags at the bottom. I use an MSS for my sleep system. I would consider this a heavier item due to its weight. So that being said, is it still best packed at the bottom, or should I try and pack it higher up against my back?
It's weight is great but so is the bulk. My advice is to pack your MSS at the bottom. Better advice is to replace the black intermediate bag component sometime in the future with a more UL packable option.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

cap6888

Post by cap6888 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
cap6888 wrote:All of the pictures showing how to pack gear shows keeping heavier gear towards your upper back area, but then shows sleeping bags at the bottom. I use an MSS for my sleep system. I would consider this a heavier item due to its weight. So that being said, is it still best packed at the bottom, or should I try and pack it higher up against my back?
It's weight is great but so is the bulk. My advice is to pack your MSS at the bottom. Better advice is to replace the black intermediate bag component sometime in the future with a more UL packable option.
For as often as I get out camping, the MSS is worth the bang for the buck. I keep the bivy separate to help with weight/bulk. I can't justify the money for a UL bag that is comparable for as often as I get out. Plus where I live, there isn't as many places to get out into the woods like you have posted in your travels. Thanks for the input though!

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:28 am

Putting something with its own carrying bag inside the pack is like putting cargo inside the car and expecting people to ride on roof rack.

One moron on another site told everyone to put sleeping bag inside of pack, even if it meant sleeping bag was the only thing that fit in pack, didn't matter.
He was trained by the army and knew best.

And no, I'm not gonna dump everything out of my pack just to get sleeping bag out.
My bivy sack fits just fine in outside pocket of pack.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:48 am

An entire MSS strapped to the outside of a pack is kinda unwieldy in my opinion. Strapping items securely, I mean securely, not two points of contact at a tangent to a round object where it flops around but having four points of contact and really ratcheting it down reduces some internal volume on the pack when it's all said and done. Moving through brush is different than moving on an open trail and like most things in life there really is no one size fits all solution. Best to always try things out and see what works best for you and your particular circumstances. All this site is really good for is bouncing ideas and experiences off each other, don't try it out for yourself at your own risk.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Interesting video. Different pack, but the concepts are the same:

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Great thread! Most useful information. Thanks!
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Dead_Like_Disco wrote:Moving through brush is different than moving on an open trail and like most things in life there really is no one size fits all solution.
What the hell is this "brush" you speak of?
Something like the "woods" others talk about?

NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:55 pm

bltjr1951 wrote:
Dead_Like_Disco wrote:Moving through brush is different than moving on an open trail and like most things in life there really is no one size fits all solution.
What the hell is this "brush" you speak of?
Something like the "woods" others talk about?

Uhhhhh..... I hate to tell you this, but someone took your woods, man. You might want to look into that.....
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”