2014-2015 ZR Winter MBO chat thread.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

2014-2015 ZR Winter MBO chat thread.

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:47 am

A bit early for the news but we will be having a Winter MBO Contest! Remember an entry in a ZS Winter MBO contest equals instant street cred. :)
Last edited by Woods Walker on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

woodsghost

Re: We are having a Winter MBO Contest!

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:12 am

Oh heck yes! I loved the pics from last winter. I would love to participate in the upcoming MBO.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:31 pm

What is included in the contest or how is an entry made?

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Oh yes, rules and dates must be clarified early!
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

-Darkhorse-

Post by -Darkhorse- » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Woods Walker - you had me at winter....

It was too much fun last time. Can't wait to do it again.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:47 pm

dunamis wrote:What is included in the contest or how is an entry made?
The community agrees on a set of rules. Judges are picked from past winners, knowledgeable posters and sometimes mods. The community and sometimes the Board of Directors donates prizes. Basically the contestant uses their gear in the field then posts proof of the outing. I can't say what would be required as the rules have yet to be set. In general from past experience ZS MBO contestants rarely back down from adversity. Polar Vortex subzero temps, blizzards, river crossings you name it they've done it. However safety is always stressed. With that said I will propose the first rule.

1. Death = Instant disqualification so don't die.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:04 pm

My Libertarian nature prefers to have a minimal amount of rules...I'd just stick with rule #1, however, with this being a bug out contest, I propose rule #2: you have to travel from your domicile, to a different place. How you get there, or where you go doesn't matter. Just go somewhere.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:10 pm

If there are going to be prizes, then rules make sense. But I see no reason why we can't post up a MBO that follows our own rules with the understanding that such an entry would not qualify for the prizes.

One way or another, I"ll post up a winter camp out. If I can, I'll follow the rules and vie for the prize!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:46 am

woodsghost wrote:If there are going to be prizes, then rules make sense. But I see no reason why we can't post up a MBO that follows our own rules with the understanding that such an entry would not qualify for the prizes.
That happens for various reasons. Just tell the judges so they know not to spend the time to score the entry.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks for the head's up! It is nice to have the option, and if I can follow the rules, I will!

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:48 am

woodsghost wrote:But I see no reason why we can't post up a MBO that follows our own rules ...
If that's the case, then you don't need to wait for a contest. Go on an adventure, take pictures, post it on ZS. Boo-Yah! Epic win anytime of the year.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:30 am

Boondock wrote:
woodsghost wrote:But I see no reason why we can't post up a MBO that follows our own rules ...
If that's the case, then you don't need to wait for a contest. Go on an adventure, take pictures, post it on ZS. Boo-Yah! Epic win anytime of the year.
Right on man! :D

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:50 pm

Keith B wrote:My Libertarian nature prefers to have a minimal amount of rules...I'd just stick with rule #1, however, with this being a bug out contest, I propose rule #2: you have to travel from your domicile, to a different place. How you get there, or where you go doesn't matter. Just go somewhere.
Political preferences aside rule number 2 sounds like a good one. Naturally it's still up for debate but not dying and moving aka bugout sounds like a good start to me. After all it wouldn't be a mock bugout contest without an actual mock bugout. Once we work out the rules, MBO staff etc etc a chat thread should be created maybe from this one. The separate entry thread used last time also worked out well. That will be explained later. I think rule number 3 should be the contestant must prove their outing with photos and video. The video is optional but at least photos. Goes without saying a good entry presentation post will effect a contestant's score but no proof = disqualification. Trust but verify.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3

Post by Keith B » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:38 pm

I'm a huge supporter of having each entry be a thread of its own. It makes things so much easier to sort thru, read, and comment on.
Does anybody have any thoughts on dates?

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:43 pm

Keith B wrote:I'm a huge supporter of having each entry be a thread of its own. It makes things so much easier to sort thru, read, and comment on.
Does anybody have any thoughts on dates?
The start of the winter solstice would probably work but not sure how long the contest should go on. There doesn't seem to be a direct correlation between length of contest and numbers of entries.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm

(Cup not included)

How it is used to heat water etc.

I was going to pony up another SS Swiss mess kit, but they cost 20 bucks to ship!

So - I'm putting up this old school kero lantern/heater. You'll get the lantern and steel ring, which will support a 2 cup pot (yours).

The mods will send me the winner's snail mail addr and I'll ship from here.

Let the fun begin!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:33 pm

@ TacAir:

Oh heck yes! I'm putting on my game face now. That is cool!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Well..... Since TacAir has offered something pretty bad ass I suppose I'll offer something vintage and one of my favorite knives. I plan on participating this year in the MBO so if I win depending on the rules I may send to the second winner or offer up on the next MBO. It will come sharp enough to shave with so I take no responsibility in you cutting yourself!

Keith B wrote: #2: you have to travel from your domicile, to a different place. How you get there, or where you go doesn't matter. Just go somewhere.
I would like to propose an amendment that you have to hike at least 1 mile or do some sort of hike in the MBO.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Noble32
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Noble32 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 am

Does it have to be from home? I had planned on buggin out from work to home, since I spend about 14 hours a day at work.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 am

Excited and nervous at the same time!

I've been testing out light kit components all summer and my girlfriend finally dropped the hammer and told me that she wants me to take her bushcraft style camping this fall. She's a huge fan of "The Walking Dead" so I think that is where that itch comes from. In a few weeks we are going car camping so that I can show her some basic fire craft, land nav, and tarp shelter building skills along with both of us working on some plant I.D. (Something I seriously lack) then we'll do a short hike-in overnighter the next month.... Good chance to see what I need to add to my heavy kit for winter use. Hopefully I don't chicken out!

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:03 am

Noble32 wrote:Does it have to be from home? I had planned on buggin out from work to home, since I spend about 14 hours a day at work.
I can't see where the judges would have a problem with that. Some of the GHB entries are pretty cool.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:04 am

Noble32 wrote:Does it have to be from home? I had planned on buggin out from work to home, since I spend about 14 hours a day at work.
Well you travelled from your home to work so I'm guessing that is all good. I think the intent of the rule is just for people to "get out", leave the comfort zone of their back yard and actually test things without the psychological security blanket of familiar surroundings. Can't really be a mock bug-out without the "out" part :)

Noble32
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Noble32 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:14 am

10-4. I will be getting off at 5 pm and have to walk a good 20 miles. This is after a full 12 hours of work so it should produce the stress of a real bug out.
Looking at a real scenario for the reason I am walking home. They have been calling for a massive earthquake here for years and with me taking multiple bridges and over passes to get home anything over say a magnitude 6 quake should make them unusable by car.
Last edited by Noble32 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:15 am

Sounds pretty friggin' cool if you ask me!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”