Gear Planning for the 14 peaks

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Gear Planning for the 14 peaks

Post by the_alias » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:59 am

Man is a beast of prey

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Gear Planning for the 14 peaks

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:40 am

Without question unless I missed it would take hiking poles. If yea don't have them consider a walking stick or ski poles etc etc. 3 points of contact are more likely with 4 legs than two. Can't tell yea how many slips, trips and falls were averted by taking this precaution when in the hills. Also what is the water situation in the area? I know 3 liters might seem like a bunch but if working hard in the right conditions sometimes what seems like enough isn't. What if the stash isn't there on the return trip? Also check on the rules (if there are any) involving stashing food. I have found that a poncho can do many jobs. Maybe consider packing one.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:06 am

Woods Walker wrote:Without question unless I missed it would take hiking poles. If yea don't have them consider a walking stick or ski poles etc etc. 3 points of contact are more likely with 4 legs than two. Can't tell yea how many slips, trips and falls were averted by taking this precaution when in the hills. Also what is the water situation in the area? I know 3 liters might seem like a bunch but if working hard in the right conditions sometimes what seems like enough isn't. What if the stash isn't there on the return trip? Also check on the rules (if there are any) involving stashing food. I have found that a poncho can do many jobs. Maybe consider packing one.
Sorry yes, I will be hiking with one hiking pole, Fizan.

Yes so water will need to be self supplied really, I will take purification though as a standby, thanks or the reminder.

The car will be parked at the finish with extra water etc.

I'm also a bit concerned about only having 3 litres, maybe adding a 4th would be wise and then stashing two extra water supplies....

Thanks woods.
Man is a beast of prey

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 am

the_alias wrote:
I'm also a bit concerned about only having 3 litres, maybe adding a 4th would be wise and then stashing two extra water supplies.....
The positives about packed water is it gets more UL as consumed and yea don't die from dehydration if there is enough. On the negative side it's not compressible, very heavy and can't be freeze dried like food. :lol: If the area is new to me I will check the map for water before heading out packing a UL filter straw, tabs etc etc etc. Naturally that doesn't mean there will actually be water at the location unless it's a lake or a major river.

edit.

Also you know this but for those who might forget after something bad happens isn't the time to inform responsible family and friends your plans and ETA home. That should be done before leaving.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:08 pm

If I was doing this, I'd want to run it rather than walk. 3 liter hydration carrier and a butt pack full of snacks ought to do it! (Of course a light emergency kit and first aid kit is always a good idea.) There's no way I'd be able to run the whole distance right now, but if you did do some jogging, it would shorten up the time considerably.

And kudos to you for taking on this challenge!!! (BTW, do you have information on the elevation changes? What is the total height you are ascending if you add up all the ascents?)

Your gear looks good, but if you took another liter of water (total 4), I would think it would be enough for the whole distance. In fact it definitely is if you drink it right. And, 5000 calories should be sufficient for the whole distance which you should also be able to pack from the start. Consuming about 400 or 500 calories every 2 to 3 hours is the best way to do it. Take some high calorie protein bars.

According to this site http://www.will4adventure.com/welsh3000s.shtml the total ascent is 14,000 ft! That's a lot! If you have to complete it in 24 hrs. that averages out to about 600 ft. per hour/mile. But in reality, since you'll be going downhill as well it could be as much as 1,200 ft. every other hour!

My last trip I did about 1,600 to 1,700 ft. in elevation gain over the course of 6 miles in about 3 hrs. carrying a 65 lb. ruck. And that wasn't easy (for me)! But doing 1000 ft. ascents over such a short distance as 1 mile many times repetitively in a single day may be more difficult even if carrying a lighter load!
Last edited by dunamis on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Sounds like a neat hiking challenge. I do a lot of long distance hiking here in the US. While some big time mountain climber may scoff at 3,000 ft in elevation, you are talking 14 peaks in 24 hours so I am assuming that is a lot of up and down elevation changes. At time is will be a butt kicker, just take your time on the steep uphills. The big thing is going from the couch to hiking 30 miles in one day.

I started a thread a while ago about the perils of walking/hiking long distance. Some of the info should help.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=105688&hilit=long+distance

You seem to already have a good handle on the proper clothing and gear, just make sure everything fits well and there is no rubbing issues. Something that is a tad annoying on a 1 mile test hike will rub you raw in 30 miles.

The only other thing that seems missing is a basic, very light first aid kit. You don't need a big trauma kit, but the big concern is you need something to take care of a blister, some pain relief pills and some anti diarrhea meds.

Here is an old thread on Blister care with some good tips.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=109740&hilit=blister

Otherwise I think you can handle it and you will have fun. Good luck.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:39 pm

Some of you might be aware I live in an area with lots of mountains, practically any kind of hike/walk here involves elevation changes, I think the fact I've done steeper elevation changes (much steeper) will help, that being said I'm not kidding myself, it will be a challenge.

My past few weeks of exercise have been (gym) weightlifting, playing touch rugby, walking, I'll get out tomorrow on a long walk and test gear to wear.

I have done a GoRuck which was quite intense and I held up pretty well, at least here I won't be carrying 1000lbs logs and doing pushups with 15kilo rucksack.

RE a few points from Mikeyboy and Dunamis

Running: Hah I wish, not at that level of endurance/cardio fitness...

Ascent - I've done 1900feet before with a 50lb pack, this took a while but also a wrong turn so probably more than that.

Woods - yes will file a flight plan with family.
Man is a beast of prey

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:38 pm

What will the temps be like?
Are you planning on hiking 24hrs (or whatever is needed) straight? Or only hiking in daylight/sleeping at night?

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:50 am

Not sure how acclimated you are to elevation (red blood cell count) but I'd switch food to more carbohydrate heavy than protein heavy since your body does most repairs while you sleep and I don't see you getting much on the trek. Also I didn't see any kind of gloves but the spare socks will fill that role. Finally I'd add some duct tape wrapped around a pole or bottle more to use in the event a hot spot develops on your feet than anything else.

Safe travels!

Edited to add: I also don't think an extra liter of water in a collapsable container could hurt along with an electrolyte powder that contains potassium, calcium and sodium. Not all electrolyte packs are complete with all three and usually just focus on the sodium.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:54 am

It's only 3000 ft :wink:

Travel as fast as you can in the cool parts of the day, don't kill yourself in the heat. Where I lived in Wales it was humid as hell from the coast, not sure how it is at the hike location. My gut says you're going to be hurting after half. Bring some real food too. You will hate hate hate eating granola the whole time. Having a can of chef boyardee might make your day at an evening stop. Bring Tylenol. Don't underestimate your water needs. 3 liters will probably last 10 miles at most.

Sounds like fun, good luck!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Oops! Got mixed up with the number 14 in there and a local term "14ers" referring to peaks... Well you know. :)

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Sock liners, seriously... A pair of really thin liners under wool socks is by far the best way to prevent blisters (that I've found) on a 20+ mile day.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Powder and anything else you can think of to prevent rubbing/chafing. Long lightweight undershorts if your thighs normally rub together. That sort of thing. I've done 30 miles in 8 hours several times in my early 20's. But not with huge mountain peaks like your trying. Just keep up a good fast pace with long strides. I would not run unless your in that kind of shape. Your gear list looks great.

Are you trying to do this straight through in 24 hours?

If your not taking rain gear. consider a poncho.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:36 pm

TheLastOne wrote:It's only 3000 ft :wink:

Travel as fast as you can in the cool parts of the day, don't kill yourself in the heat. Where I lived in Wales it was humid as hell from the coast, not sure how it is at the hike location. My gut says you're going to be hurting after half. Bring some real food too. You will hate hate hate eating granola the whole time. Having a can of chef boyardee might make your day at an evening stop. Bring Tylenol. Don't underestimate your water needs. 3 liters will probably last 10 miles at most.

Sounds like fun, good luck!
I agree on the chef boy, but they have little plastic "tins" that are lighter than the cans and have pull tab tops, great option over cans... Though you cant warm them up in the plastic, some of them are just fine a room temp... Beefaroni is one, imo.

As far as water, you can get by on a bit less if you pre-hydrate in the days before your trip. Starting a week before start upping your water/electrolyte intake. Then the two days before really hit it hard, like double what you normally drink...

Then during the hike you still try to stay ahead of it, small drinks often, refill every chance (filter?)... Anyway, the last few hikes I have done, and also what distance running I do, this has made a big difference for me. I used to cramp a lot (hamstring) and get side stitches, almost never anymore.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:16 am

Thanks all, great advice coming in, few specifics:

Dead-like-disco - Great call on the gloves! I just found my Mechanix, they will be coming along for sure.

moab - Yes we will aim or doing this in 24 hours, I had terrible chafing from GoRuck I will be taking some talc and this time I actually tested the shorts I will wear :)

Confucius - 1000 mile socks have a built in liner but I will take a look at a liner for my backup Darn Toughs.

TLO - It's Snowdonia region so hopefully not too bad, I mean liklihood is there will be drizzle, it is Wales! We will start at 5am and go hard in the morning cool. Will pack something real as well.
Man is a beast of prey

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 am

6 liters of water for 30 miles of hiking in the mountains seems light to me I'd likely go with eight but I am fairly large. At the halfway point I would stash more food and water than I planned on carrying and then quickly over hydrate and chow as much as reasonably possible. I do better mixing in electrolyte infused water with the water at about 1:3 ratio. Instead of Tylenol I would bring Motrin or Naproxyn to help with the inflammation of the feet. Don't know if these are already in your first aid kit.

I assume you are carrying standard personal items like a cell phone and watch. I normally wear a pathfinder watch that has a number of helpful tools on it for hiking. I am a gloveophile and we have a fair number of toxic plants most places where I hike so I always wear gloves. Etrex GPS and map if you need it.

Looks like a bit of fun enjoy!
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm pretty sure you got this in the bag, and the advice here seems solid. I've done some similar stuff with more elevation change and gear and less distance, but the climate was rather different, so I'm not sure I could be a great deal of help. I guess my best advice would be to make sure you don't push too hard if you aren't making your time. No reason to risk injury just to make a timeline, as there's always more chances.

Good luck, and take pictures you tough SOB.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 pm

Best of luck to you! On long hikes like yours
I feel recharged if I can lay down for 5min or so every hour,
with my feet elevated on a rock or tree. Having a small sheet of plastic
cut to optimum size so the muddy ground does not soak my clothes is
not a luxury but a requirement.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:36 pm

To put things into prospective, I've done a 16.8 mile hike with 3,170 ft elevation gain with a 35 lb. pack over 2 days.

So the idea of attempting a 25 to 30 mile hike in 24 hours would having me thinking of every possible way to cut my pack weight down to nothing. I'd also try and "game it" with picking a time of year where the weather conditions were most favorable or least volatile.

Here's a few thoughts off the top of my head:
What's the CR123 Torch for? Signalling? Would a Glowstick swung around on some paracord be better?
Speaking of paracord, are you bringing any cordage?
What kind of foot gear are you planning to wear?
What is the fire kit for? Could it be slimmed down to a couple wetfire cubes, some tinfoil, and a lighter?
A 24 hour supply of OTC pain killer would be a good add. Along with an anti-diarrheal.
I recently saw a blog that mentioned having some hard candies to suck on through a hike to keep your sugar levels even. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a good idea in theory.

And of course, good luck, even through I know you'll crush it. :D
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

B9ev
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by B9ev » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 pm

This sounds like a really fun hike, please make sure to take pictures to share with us. Fwiw, when I first opened the thread, I also confused it with hiking "14ers" the 14k foot peaks found in the Rocky Mountains.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Finished yesterday

Stats:

17 hours 5 mins for the challenge

20 hours 55 mins total hiking

50km total distance

Something like 14000 total ascent

1 blister

2 aching legs!

It was very tough - especially finishing in the dark at 1am.

Pics and more later when i get to a pc
Man is a beast of prey

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:30 pm

Good for you!

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Congrats the_alias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Rock on!
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Return to “Bug Out Gear”