It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Those look great. Maybe post them in this thread as well.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=113251

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:08 pm 

Thanks for the compliment. You may be right on the other thread. Is it easy to merge them and delete this one?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:33 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Merged topics per OP request.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:37 pm 

Burncycle wrote:
I thought I'd share the current evolution of my PSK and how it fits into my setup.

The current setup includes two tins, one for each back pocket or cargo pocket, to supplement my EDC and hiking gear. I like a lower profile / slick look so I wanted to avoid belt pouches. For shorter distance dayhikes or overnights in warm weather it works well.

Dimensions of the tins are similar to that of an "SAS" sized tin, but the depth is nearly identical to that of an altoids tin. This keeps them thin enough to fit in a back pocket (not just a cargo pocket) but light enough that they don't flop around and hurt if I did decide to put them in my cargo pockets.

Knife and Bic Mini as a size reference

Primary Kit
The size of my PSK is dictated by the desire to include not just minimal but a usable means to purify water, light fires, signal and create a shelter, and to be small enough that I'd carry it. As such, I wanted to include whirl pack 1 liter bags instead of traditional ways to hold water like condoms or baby milk bags, and that kind of dictated the length of the tin. The white roll next to the purification tablets are two of these bags rolled tightly, with the paper on the outside to help protect them from abrasion. While I can't fit shelter inside this tin, I opted for a more robust pocket chainsaw which lies conveniently flat on the bottom. The small matchbox contains misc little items that I don't want to lose including some safety pins, flies/lures/hooks, lengths of sparklers etc. The bobby pin can be attached to the flashlight to create a hat clip. Most of the other items are pretty self explanatory.

Supplementary kit
This kit is full of stuff that would be nice to have for an unexpected overnighter, including bug repellent and some minor medical stuff. I included additional fishing gear, and the two bags on the top left are 2x flies (woolley buggers) and below that, soft fish bait which take up little space. The hooks are circle hooks for unattended lines since they don't require a jerk to set them. I forgot to include simple bandages but have since added them.

To show how these tins fit in with the rest of my stuff, here is an idea of what I may bring on a typical warm weather day hike / overnighter. The items are arranged near what pocket they would go in.
Not shown is a daypack or backpack that would contain my primary gear, such as a Sawyer Mini, Water Bladder, Nalgene Bottle, Stove/Fuel, Hammock Setup, Bigger knife and Laplander saw which would go on my belt. Sorry for the poor quality lighting.

Right side of pants.
Small black pouch is an extra cell phone battery (I use a Galaxy Note 2). First aid stuff in right cargo pocket which in this case is focused on traumatic injury. In my bag would be additional first aid items for booboos and sprains.

Left side of pants
Ziplock bag has bug headnet. Small spray bottle of bug repellent usually carried as well in my bag. Here I have minimal shelter, an E-Bivy, Heatsheets and disposable poncho, although I may opt for a MEST type shelter in the future. The paracord goes around the ankle under my pants leg -- it's out of sight unless needed which I like, and it offers the benefit of being longer than wrist style bracelets if I ever did need it.

This setup does fill up the cargo pockets pretty good but everything against your leg is pretty soft so it's not uncomfortable medium term, though if I were to do something multi-day I'd probably opt for belt pouches for this stuff instead of a "slick" style.

Nice wearable get-up. What's it like carrying all that stuff in the pockets? I keep a small AMK First Aid .5 in one of my BDU trouser pockets, but , does all that ever get uncomfortable? I mean, it seems light, but bulky. Does it get in the way ewhen driving for example? Over -all, nice set-up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:19 am 

Quote:
Nice wearable get-up. What's it like carrying all that stuff in the pockets? I keep a small AMK First Aid .5 in one of my BDU trouser pockets, but , does all that ever get uncomfortable? I mean, it seems light, but bulky. Does it get in the way ewhen driving for example? Over -all, nice set-up!

It definitely fills out the cargo pockets but it's all soft stuff so it isn't annoying, which is one of the reasons I opted for two thin tins for the PSK, so I could move the hard objects away from the cargo pockets where they could bounce around. I tighten my belt so the pants ride a little higher which also helps (it gets all that stuff slightly above the knees instead of bumping into the side of them).

I replaced the Quick Clot sponge with the Z Fold gauze which is thinner and takes up much less room, and refolded the CAT so it's not as tall, so the first aid pocket isn't nearly as bad as it seems.

This is incomplete of course and only part of a system showing the 1st line gear of a day hike setup -- just the on person EDC and emergency stuff in case I get seperated from my day pack, which contains the regularly used stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:35 pm 

Burncycle wrote:
I thought I'd share the current evolution of my PSK and how it fits into my setup.

The current setup includes two tins, one for each back pocket or cargo pocket, to supplement my EDC and hiking gear. I like a lower profile / slick look so I wanted to avoid belt pouches. For shorter distance dayhikes or overnights in warm weather it works well.

Dimensions of the tins are similar to that of an "SAS" sized tin, but the depth is nearly identical to that of an altoids tin. This keeps them thin enough to fit in a back pocket (not just a cargo pocket) but light enough that they don't flop around and hurt if I did decide to put them in my cargo pockets.

Knife and Bic Mini as a size reference

Primary Kit
The size of my PSK is dictated by the desire to include not just minimal but a usable means to purify water, light fires, signal and create a shelter, and to be small enough that I'd carry it. As such, I wanted to include whirl pack 1 liter bags instead of traditional ways to hold water like condoms or baby milk bags, and that kind of dictated the length of the tin. The white roll next to the purification tablets are two of these bags rolled tightly, with the paper on the outside to help protect them from abrasion. While I can't fit shelter inside this tin, I opted for a more robust pocket chainsaw which lies conveniently flat on the bottom. The small matchbox contains misc little items that I don't want to lose including some safety pins, flies/lures/hooks, lengths of sparklers etc. The bobby pin can be attached to the flashlight to create a hat clip. Most of the other items are pretty self explanatory.

Supplementary kit
This kit is full of stuff that would be nice to have for an unexpected overnighter, including bug repellent and some minor medical stuff. I included additional fishing gear, and the two bags on the top left are 2x flies (woolley buggers) and below that, soft fish bait which take up little space. The hooks are circle hooks for unattended lines since they don't require a jerk to set them. I forgot to include simple bandages but have since added them.

To show how these tins fit in with the rest of my stuff, here is an idea of what I may bring on a typical warm weather day hike / overnighter. The items are arranged near what pocket they would go in.
Not shown is a daypack or backpack that would contain my primary gear, such as a Sawyer Mini, Water Bladder, Nalgene Bottle, Stove/Fuel, Hammock Setup, Bigger knife and Laplander saw which would go on my belt. Sorry for the poor quality lighting.

Right side of pants.
Small black pouch is an extra cell phone battery (I use a Galaxy Note 2). First aid stuff in right cargo pocket which in this case is focused on traumatic injury. In my bag would be additional first aid items for booboos and sprains.

Left side of pants
Ziplock bag has bug headnet. Small spray bottle of bug repellent usually carried as well in my bag. Here I have minimal shelter, an E-Bivy, Heatsheets and disposable poncho, although I may opt for a MEST type shelter in the future. The paracord goes around the ankle under my pants leg -- it's out of sight unless needed which I like, and it offers the benefit of being longer than wrist style bracelets if I ever did need it.

This setup does fill up the cargo pockets pretty good but everything against your leg is pretty soft so it's not uncomfortable medium term, though if I were to do something multi-day I'd probably opt for belt pouches for this stuff instead of a "slick" style.

What Kind of pants are those...IE who makes them? How much?

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:21 pm 

http://milspecmonkey.com/index.php/wear ... ical-pants

Tru spec 24/7. Cheesy name but love the pants. Mine are poly/cotton mix and never have to iron the pocket flaps. Runs about $30 usually

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 am 

i just recently bought the pathfinder stainless bottle cook set. and the pathfinder fire kit. im super impressed with the quality and cant wait to test it out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:53 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Here are the 3 PSKs I am fielding. From top to bottom:

1. Classic Altoids in leather pouch.
2. The Back Country Brawler.
3. The Green Bag of Survival.

The Altoids and GBS are complete. Still need to add a few things to the Brawler. Yes, I said the Brawler.... :crazy: Will show the contents later. Also planing on doing a PSK video series.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:48 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=83106

Here's one I did a while back. Such expensive fail.
(Glad it was free)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:12 pm 

That kit is badass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:20 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

The classic Altoids PSK:

1. Old school whistle. Sentimental item and it's loud.
2. Pre threaded sewing needle.
3. 2X water tabs.
4. SAK.
5. Swiss gear coin cell LED light.
6. Button compass with back clip.
7. Cut bike tire tube band.
8. 2X fish hooks.
9. Green Woolly Bugger fly.
10. P 38 can opener.
11. Wire.
12. Aluminum foil.
13. Large safety pin.
14. Fishing line.
15. Plastic baggy.
16. Leather bag to hold PSK.
17. Altoids tin.
18. Antibacterial cream aka mostly petroleum jelly.
19. Compressed cotton.
20. 2X bandaid
21. 1X buttery closure.
22. Hemlock brand PSK firestarter (soft magnesium and ferro rod combo).
23. Striker.
24. Cordage.

I have used the fly, water tabs, sewing needle/thread, bandaids etc etc in the past. In fact I am down one needle and thread. Once in a blue moon the water tabs are given to hikers on the AT who had issues with their filter though needed them before so they get replaced ASAP. Have employed the tweezers from the SAK. Heck sometimes I use the AL foil for a cup lid so that can get changed out as well. Never did use the firestarter and light in the field.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:08 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Woods Walker wrote:
9. Green Woolly Bugger fly.

Enough said.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Here is a video of my multi year assessment of what was actually used out of my Altoids PSK.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:23 pm 

Finally got my act together and rebuilt my 'survival kit'

The two orange bags are garden trash and make up part of my shelter solution

The contents of the kit.
1x signal mirror
1x firesteel
1x lighter
12x waterproof and stormproof matches (in container)
6x vasaline firestarters
10x pieces ofchar cloth
2x garbage bages
1x wire saw
1x fishing and sewing kit which contains sewing needles, thread, dental floss, safety pins and enough fishing line and tackle to set
up two decent fishing lines
1x 240cm x 130m cm mylar blanket (just big enough for me)
4 metres of paracord
12x water purification tablets
aluminium foil

The kit is designed to work with the components carried in my search kit, so it is missing things like first aid, food etc. All components are colour coded orange where possible and labeled, since this kit may be giving to someone else while I use carried supplies.

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Sold by Tops as the "Turley 23 Kit" which includes the Turley Model 23 PSK knife is a nice little commercial PSK.

https://www.topsknives.com/turley-23

The Turley 23 Kit

1-TURLEY KNIFE
1-METAL HINGED BOX 3 5/8" X 2 1/2"
1-RANGER RUBBER BAND
1-BUTTON COMPASS (LIQUID)
1-L.E.D. LIGHT
1-SIGNAL MIRROR (DOG TAG)
1-FRESNAL LENS
1-FERRO ROD
1-TRAIL MARKING TAPE (12' FT)
1-EMERGENCY WHISTLE

However the knife accidentally punctured the Altoids sized tin so decided to do a rebuild. I wanted to keep the spirit of the original but enhance the core. Now the rebuild.

Rebuilt Turley 23 Kit.

All the implements of the previous kit with the following changes.

1. Changed out coin cell light for Fenix E01.
2. Put in larger tin.
3. Made sheath for Turley 23 knife.
4. Replaced little ferro rod with high quality ferro rod and mag bar combo.
5. Added bandages.
6. Added around 10 feet of 550 Paracord.
7. Added 20 feet of fishing line, green wooly bugger fly and 2 number 12 hooks to live the PSK fantasy.
8. Added 2 water tabs.
9 Added 2 Tinder-Quik

When in the woods or for preps I like to have a full sized knife, flashlight and modern firestarting implement. Also tend to have a Bic in the pocket.

So that was the idea behind the rebuild. To get more functional top tier tools.

The Fenix E01. Potted electronics, twisty activation and common battery type. The coin cell in my Turley kit was almost dead yet I never used it. A loop knot for high visibility and easy holding. Run times for the Fenix E01 is 16 hours 30 minutes.

High quality magnesium and ferro rod combo. Tinder and ignition all in one plus there is more area to hold on to with cold hands than just a thin ferro rod. The striker is going to be safer to use under hard conditions than a knife edge. The long green cordage is reflective and blaze orange loop for high visibility. The longer lanyard works better for visibility if dropped in deeper brush per my experiments and could be looped to something. The striker is a tool in it's own right.

Turley Model 23 sheath. The idea was to prevent the knife from punching a hole in the tin. I originally tried a taco fold but the retention failed. So did a standard sheath with number 8 grommets to fit 550 paracord if needed to be worn as a necker. After all I would not be backing and unpacked the PSK each time the tool was needed. Odds are the knife would be tossed in a pocket with a lanyard. The knife is hard to fold Kydex for so used the heat gun for some final modifications. Retention is now very good which was tested by tossing the knife directly into a pack during a hike. That said I added a reflective green loop for 100% retention and night visibility. Given the nature of the grommets the sheath was a bit large for the knife but there area pros to that. First I have the room in the larger tin, second larger bright orange stuff is easier to see and finally had plenty of room to wrap 20 feet of fishing line around to live the PSK lie. The blue band is to properly secure the line and an extra PSK item.

But it's all not really a fantasy as take the PSK out at night often far away from roads etc. Recently replaced the camo paracord with blaze orange.

There are even streams full of trout though they were safe that night.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I have done some PSK Updating. The GBOS Green Bag Of Surival aka BOB in a bag.... I wanted to use the E01 light the other day and it was a PITA to get out. Also despite being bomb proof wanted more light. I have an old 4/7 P1 and noticed they have a close out sale on the P2 bodies. The head can run 1XAAA so......

New 2xAAA lego along with the GBOS knife which is a Gossmen PSK.

I put an orange lanyard with green reflective attachment loop plus a slider which should break away if needed.

Now I can clearly see the correct lanyard and no need to dig for and unzip bags for the light.

The thin 2XAAA light just slides out. I also kept the 1XAAA body inside the kit as find having the ability to run a single battery if needed to be advantageous.

I replaced the little keychain solar charger with this one. I tested the powerbank function and it's around 4000 mAh. The solar panel seems more like 1/2 watt so it takes days to push my phone up 10% but could charge the LED light which is a redundancy. There is a micro USB with lightning cable adapter as well. I have another model which is really.....actually..... for real.....5000 mAh. It's better in nearly every way. Real 2A, 1 watt panel that can actual fully charge my phone in a few days of solar charging. Easily charge enough power to run the LED. I might just change out the yellow one for it in the future.