Wearing MARPAT in public?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Towanda

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Post by Towanda » Sun May 04, 2014 4:05 pm

I think setting has a lot to do with it. Lots of people around here wear BDU pants and surplus boonie hats in various patterns for hunting, yard work, factory work, et cetera, so they don't stand out much. Wandering around NYC dressed like that might be a different matter simply because there's not a lot of farm or hunting country around Manhattan. YMMV.

I have one pair each of black and woodland BDU pants in my BOB. I also take them when I go camping, because they're inexpensive, durable, and I really don't care if they get covered in dirt and muck. That said, it took me a long time to decide that wearing woodland was OK because I never served and it made me feel like a faker. Now that woodland isn't the standard issue pattern anymore, I'm fine with it.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sun May 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Man, there's a bunch of people spending a lot of time telling everyone how they don't care what other people think about how they dress. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
What does that mean, "the lady doth protest too much?"

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun May 04, 2014 4:26 pm

He means he thinks they really care a great deal.
People care if it means some jerk is going to go on a swearing rant if they wear some stupid surplus pants.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun May 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Doryman wrote:Don't be a LAMFAB, eh.
Holy crap, that blog's funny! :lol:

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sun May 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Just my opinion, but isn't there too many people dying of starvation in the world today to concern ones self with such a vanity as fashion?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 04, 2014 7:52 pm

dunamis wrote:Just my opinion, but isn't there too many people dying of starvation in the world today to concern ones self with such a vanity as fashion?
There always too many people starving... today isn't any different. Except that Canadian dude on that LAMFAB webpage, It looks like he ate a whole Attawapiskati village.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sun May 04, 2014 8:37 pm

I thought the one with the "zombie" guy staring at the glass door was good.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sun May 04, 2014 9:00 pm

double tap
Last edited by Doryman on Sun May 04, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sun May 04, 2014 9:01 pm

dunamis wrote:Just my opinion, but isn't there too many people dying of starvation in the world today to concern ones self with such a vanity as fashion?

People are always starving somewhere. For me, that goes on the external part of my Circle of Control/Circle of Concern map...

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/wp-conte ... oncern.jpg

How I present myself to my community, and how I manage others views of me through that presentation is firmly within my circle of control. Dressing habits go into that presentation, as do a lot of other things.

Honestly, I'm a dyed in the wool country boy, army vet, and certified wackjob survivalist. I also live and work among a lot of people who aren't. As much as we might not like it, there are a lot of people who are outside the gunny/prepper/good ol' boy mindset, and they look at people who dress like Travis Bickle as if they're... well... Travis Bickle. Camo get-ups remind a lot of people of all the negative stereotypes of milita types, bunker dwellers and "domestic terrorists".

I derive a lot of social utility from good relationships with others in my community. I would have none of that if most of my neighbourhood thought that I was some sort of Unabomber Understudy.

Blacksmith; Your Attawapiskat joke be-happied my black, black heart!
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sun May 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Hey, that's fine. And I'm not intending to portray any accusal toward anyone for whatever thinking they have on the subject. It really doesn't concren me. As far as being sensitive about how others interpret my physical apperance in a social context? Not really my problem. If that means we don't socialize? Oh, well. Nothing personal but I like to keep my interactions with others on the nost genuine level possible and can't make considerations for each and every little hang-up someone might have about the way people look or what they associate it with. I can't afford to be mindful of such things. I'm already doing something else and can't really take the time to figure out how to please anyone in this regard. Nothing against any of them (whoever they are). I'm still me underneath whatever I'm wearing (and even under my skin for that matter) and if I look like something to anyone for any reason that they disapprove of, maybe we don't need to talk.

Nothing wrong with building good relationships, but in my opinion that doesn't start by a superficial presentation of ones self for evaluation or to be judged by others. It should come from real meaningful acts which reach beyond these invisible and illusory boundaries. Can't say that I ever heard the name Travis Bickle until now, but that's OK. I probably don't need to.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun May 04, 2014 11:43 pm

Dunamis, if you're going to act superior and above-it-all, you could at least use proper grammar. It would make you appear to be just slightly less of a douchebag.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Mon May 05, 2014 3:52 am

Towanda wrote:Dunamis, if you're going to act superior and above-it-all, you could at least use proper grammar. It would make you appear to be just slightly less of a douchebag.
Superior to what? I don't get what you're saying here. And why are you calliing me a douchebag?

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon May 05, 2014 6:57 am

Do you guys really see people wearing rank patches, ribbons, etc.? Wearing camo clothes is one thing but I've never seen anyone with ranks.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon May 05, 2014 7:03 am

dunamis wrote:......... I can't afford to be mindful of such things. You can't afford not to.
Nothing wrong with building good relationships, but in my opinion that doesn't start by a superficial presentation of ones self for evaluation or to be judged by others. Alas it does, because people don't wait to see you in action. This isn't just an American thing or a Western thing. It cuts across every type of culture. .......... Can't say that I ever heard the name Travis Bickle until now, but that's OK. I probably don't need to. Travis Bickle is a cinematic character portrayed by Robert DeNiro is Martin Scorcese's iconic film "Taxi Driver" you might be familiar with the TV adaptation where Andy Kauffman interpreted the role differently. :wink:
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 am

74 or more wrote:Do you guys really see people wearing rank patches, ribbons, etc.? Wearing camo clothes is one thing but I've never seen anyone with ranks.
Usually hipsters. Unit patches on clothing are common among the guys playing dress-up.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon May 05, 2014 7:12 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote: Travis Bickle is a cinematic character portrayed by Robert DeNiro is Martin Scorcese's iconic film "Taxi Driver" you might be familiar with the TV adaptation where Andy Kauffman interpreted the role differently. :wink:
[/quote]

Both were absolute genius. One dramatic and the other comedic. Andy Kauffman was just funny as hell doing that. Thanks for the memory. :D
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon May 05, 2014 7:14 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
74 or more wrote:Do you guys really see people wearing rank patches, ribbons, etc.? Wearing camo clothes is one thing but I've never seen anyone with ranks.
Usually hipsters. Unit patches on clothing are common among the guys playing dress-up.
Wow, that's a new one for me. I can understand people getting upset about that.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 05, 2014 7:24 am

74 or more wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Don't really give a flap. Especially after four tours in the sand box. People trying to pretend they are something they are not will get them hemmed up in short order by me though. Otherwise it is not a whole lot different than wearing a Green Bay Packers jersey. I have only outed a couple of fakers over the years. It goes down hill really, really fast.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon May 05, 2014 7:30 am

74 or more wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Yeah, that or the wear-full-BDU/MARPAT/CADPATs guys always make me look sideways. The hipsters because I generally can't stand to be around hipsters (it's the over-inflated sense of self-worth and the "LOOK AT ME I DRESS LIKE A HOBO BECAUSE I DON'T CARE! PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE ME!" thing that really turn me off) but the dress-up guys weird me out a bit. Like seriously dude it's a gun show/range day/rally, not ComiCon, ya know?

Also are tricolor BDUs still cheap in some places? I looked for some for a costume party a couple years back and they were no longer the $20 per set that I remembered, and I wasn't about to drop $40 on a set of trousers to "modify" for a costume.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Yeah, that or the wear-full-BDU/MARPAT/CADPATs guys always make me look sideways. The hipsters because I generally can't stand to be around hipsters (it's the over-inflated sense of self-worth and the "LOOK AT ME I DRESS LIKE A HOBO BECAUSE I DON'T CARE! PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE ME!" thing that really turn me off) but the dress-up guys weird me out a bit. Like seriously dude it's a gun show/range day/rally, not ComiCon, ya know?

Also are tricolor BDUs still cheap in some places? I looked for some for a costume party a couple years back and they were no longer the $20 per set that I remembered, and I wasn't about to drop $40 on a set of trousers to "modify" for a costume.
I hear ya on the hipsters. I don't know how it is in the rest of the country but here all the hipsters a rocking beards and flannel shirts. This also happens to be how I've looked and dressed for a long time and now I'm a hipster all of a sudden. Add that to the fact that I ride a Nightster and every trendy SOA fan thinks I'm their best friend. I can't wait till these people move on to something else. But I suppose that's a rant for another thread.

By tricolor to you mean the old woodland or DCU 3 color? You can still find the $20 used pairs in certain surplus stores but new ones are in the $40 range. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon May 05, 2014 8:15 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Also are tricolor BDUs still cheap in some places? I looked for some for a costume party a couple years back and they were no longer the $20 per set that I remembered, and I wasn't about to drop $40 on a set of trousers to "modify" for a costume.
We're you trying for the Colonial Marine look from Aliens?
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Also are tricolor BDUs still cheap in some places? I looked for some for a costume party a couple years back and they were no longer the $20 per set that I remembered, and I wasn't about to drop $40 on a set of trousers to "modify" for a costume.
We're you trying for the Colonial Marine look from Aliens?
Zombiefied Marine with suitably damaged PAGST castoff gear and tricolor (woodland) cammies and expertly applied makeup. Ended up with something much lamer. I still have the blood makeup, so maybe this year I can scrounge a Playboy Bunny outfit and be a Sexy/Slutty Vorpal Rabbit.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Mon May 05, 2014 8:24 am

I see a lot more of that in places like Ottawa or Toronto than I do in rural areas. Everyone and their dog has a pair of old olive drabs for hunting, but it only seems to be a fashion statement among the hip young things in cities. I've seen German flags and American chevrons sewn onto Canadian olive drab combats before, and it leaves me shaking my head. Hell, I've had guys tell me that they've seen people wearing random medals (fake or foreign, nothing seemed familiar) attached to random clothing. It's ludicrous. Expecially if they get confronted about what they have on.

"Oh, I just don't care about what I'm wearing.."

"Really? Because you had to seek out and buy all these things, most of them separately. And then you had to take the time to sew them together. And that medal there matches your scarf..."

:lol:

-George Orwell

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Mon May 05, 2014 9:32 am

Doryman wrote:I already said that I don't care about CADPAT and outdoor activities. I wear an old pair of my issued trousers when hunting. There are plenty of situations where milsurp kit is appropriate.

I'm referring to the type of wannabe tough guy who hangs around bars in boots, combat pants and airborne t-shirts, the hipsters who lounge around coffee shops wearing ranks and medals they didn't earn, and the socially inept types who don't understand why an oversized set of combats and a "Fuck YOu" t-shirt is inappropriate wear for a job interview. I'm talking about willful misrepresentation and making a spectacle of oneself.

Whatever the morality or utility of judging people by what they wear, people WILL do it. When people see an adult mincing around playing dress-up in someone else's uniform; they tend to make snap judgements about that person. Whether these judgements are right or wrong often don't matter. People who dress seriously are usually taken seriously, people who dress in a "strange" manner are often treated as weirdos, whether that treatment is deserved or not. Clothing has as much social utility as it does practical utility.

You have the right to dress as you want, but ignoring the fact that you will be treated differently is foolish.
Every one of your statements leads me to believe you are fashion-focused. You care what other people think about how you look and you judge people based on what they're wearing. I couldn't care less about what other people are wearing. Why? It's none of my business. Wearing MARPAT or ACU or any other surplus clothing isn't playing 'dress-up' or being a 'poser'. If I wore scrubs would doctors give me shit? If I wore an old McDonald's shirt would I get hassled at McDonald's? Give it up.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

Return to “Bug Out Gear”