Wearing MARPAT in public?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Post by dunamis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:31 am

Kommander wrote:This is why I wish I had been able to get my ILBE in a regular color and not the marine MARPAT. What actually bugs me the most is the EGA on the proper label inside of it. Perhaps I should cut it out or go over it with a marker but that might just be worse. I dont know, I just wanted a reasonable pack for a reasonable price. I also have a watch that had the SEAL Trident on the backplate but I otherwise really like. Normally I would not buy something like that but it was a gift.
There is an Arcteryx LEAF version of the ILBE. There are actually 2 sizes, the ECHO and the TANGO which both come in plain colors. I've seen them listed on eBay in the "crocodile" color (which looks OD greenish) but they usually go for around $300.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:59 am

ArmorOIC wrote:My hypothesis is that military equipment (GI) is not better than civilian equipment. To test this hypothesis, investigate what equipment you see special operations using across the services. In my own experience, I know that these groups make liberal use of their gov credit cards to purchase non-GI equipment. GI equipment like the backpack you have was produced and issued within the constraints of a low-bid contracting environment.

Most importantly, and to your point, I would argue that civilian camouflage out-performs military versions in most situations. Wearing MARPAT in the urban open will only draw the wrong attention.
That's good that these guys get a gov. credit card to buy better non GI equipment....where do I get my card, I'd like some new Filson pants?
Until then I think US military surplus is a good choice for cheap tough clothing and gear for regular guys, that some military folks might not like it,... big deal I don't care.

In my experience some of the toughest pants you can buy are the older 1950s- 1960s GI rip stop ones, these are green and heavier I think then the later camo ones and wear like iron. I like the older button fly ones that way you don't have to worry about the zipper giving out. Very comfortable too. Don't think I ever had to pay more then $5 for any either though unless you are a little guy can be a kind of hard to find them in the larger sizes

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:38 am

I think in some cases camo and digital camo can be fashionable. Actually I think its more "in style" and acceptable these days. Heck I have seen girls wearing pink and purple digital camo.

Here is a trendy, high priced backpack in a pattern pretty darn close to MARPAT from Hershel Supply Co. It also seems OD green, woodland and desert camo, are fashionable.
http://shop.herschelsupply.com/collections/backpacks

I was on a part business/part fun trip to Florida last week and I seen a lot of military style backpacks, along with military style camo boonie hats, caps, T-shirts, cargo pants and shorts. Some were Milsurp, but most were civilian made. I seen Tons of MOLLE covered 24 & 72hr assault packs, some were on the backs of people who were clearly not in the military and not the typical "prepper type". I seen one young lady in the airport carry a 5.11 24 Rush pack in Coyote with a hair brush jammed into the outside webbing right next to a World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) panda button.

As long you are not walking around like a soldier in a full BDU, and gear, most people would just assume that your MILSURP MARPAT backpack is just civilian fashion. You are not going to be singled out for having a military backpack these days. The only exception is ACU. I don't know what it is about true Military ACU but it seems to "POP" and stand out, to the point where it hurts your eyes. I only see that blue-ish glow with Military grade ACU, and not the civilian knockoff. That is an odd quality for something that is suppose to hide you.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Nightmare Machine wrote:So long as they are not claiming service they did not serve, I don't see the problem.

There are three guys where I work that use MARPAT assault packs as their everyday packs simply because they were cheap, and didn't fall apart after two weeks like Wal*Mart packs.

Uniforms? A little weird in public, but so long as they are not wearing unit insignia or medals they did not win......who cares? If anything, take it as a compliment.

Yeah, I agree with this!

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:13 pm

dunamis wrote:There is an Arcteryx LEAF version of the ILBE. There are actually 2 sizes, the ECHO and the TANGO which both come in plain colors. I've seen them listed on eBay in the "crocodile" color (which looks OD greenish) but they usually go for around $300.
The $300 price tag is why I opted for a $50ish dollar used pack even if it was in cammo pattern I did not want.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:03 pm

Kommander wrote:
dunamis wrote:There is an Arcteryx LEAF version of the ILBE. There are actually 2 sizes, the ECHO and the TANGO which both come in plain colors. I've seen them listed on eBay in the "crocodile" color (which looks OD greenish) but they usually go for around $300.
The $300 price tag is why I opted for a $50ish dollar used pack even if it was in cammo pattern I did not want.
Yeah, I did like the way it looked though. I've found that camo stuff is real nice to have in the woods for camping/hiking, etc. It just looks better. A lot of bright obnoxious colors might be good for helping rescuers locate you if you're hurt or lost but it's just an eyesore out in the backwoods! The camo patterns blend in and don't mare or distract from the natural beauty of the environment.

I had one kid come up to me last year because I had been wearing the same pair of camouflage pants around town for a couple of weeks (small town) and tell me that camo wasn't really "it". I don't know if someone made a statement which he heard in his peer group voicing disapproval or what, but it seemed like he was trying to "do me a favor" by telling me this and attempted to give me some fashion advice :rofl: I got a pretty big kick out of this and have had to suppress a smile almost every time I see this guy around town now!

I wasn't a jerk to him but I tried as best I could to politely explain how exactly it is that I really don't give a rip!

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
Here is a trendy, high priced backpack in a pattern pretty darn close to MARPAT from Hershel Supply Co. It also seems OD green, woodland and desert camo, are fashionable.
http://shop.herschelsupply.com/collections/backpacks
That looks very like a knock-off of Italian vegetato camo.
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Until finding this thread, my greatest concern on the matter was the fashion faux pas of wearing my MARPAT BDU pants with my woodland camo Camelbak. After a few days of watching the conversation, I'm back to that point of view. If a $3-5 pair of thrift store pants last 6-36 months of abuse, use 'em. If a $12 pair of broken in black jump boots last 12-24 months of abuse, use 'em. IMHO, if you're not suggesting a unit or rank, it's not a "uniform".
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:58 am

At my point in life, fashion is NOT important!
Comfort & function are all that matter.
Who gives a damn what other people think of my clothes, car, etc! :vmad:

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:35 am

I don't care what they think of my clothes, but they better not start cussing me out because of them.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Mad Mike wrote:At my point in life, fashion is NOT important!
Comfort & function are all that matter.
Who gives a damn what other people think of my clothes, car, etc! :vmad:
+1

The reasons why some people don't like to wear camo or use MILSURP gear.

1) They will be labeled as a Military Vet imposter - Again that goes back to someone not dressing in full gear or uniform. If you are just wearing camo pants or carrying a Milsurp you are not going to be labeled a poser. Heck I have seen civilian hikers use ALICE packs for years and no one batted an eye. You may have a vet, or civilian start up a conversation with you asking about it. Just don't lie, and say its military surplus. However if you are going to play the part of a full blown imposter with a uniform/BDU with insignia patches and metals, expect to eventually get caught in your lie and for the beat down to commence.

2) They will be singled out as working "for the government" in a SHTF event. Again I always found this funny. Like #1, as long as your are not decked out like a soldier in full uniform and gear, you are going to look like any tom, dick, and harry in a major event. If questioned, don't lie just say its surplus.

3) You will look like a doomsday prepper/militia loving nutcase. Again are you decked out in full garb like a paramilitary soldier/mercenary...No well then don't worry about it.

4) Camo and Military stuff is not "In Fashion" honestly fashion sucks and I'm a middle aged guy so I don't care what people think. Like mentioned earlier the Marine ILBE is a high end pack that the civilian version in civilian colors would cost you $300. If you can buy the same pack in MARPAT for $50 you would be stupid not to . That and for me military gear is rugged and proven, yet inexpensive. Also military / Civilian Camo pattern clothing is also just so damn functional. I never understood why camping and hiking gear comes in light or bright colors. It kills the natural scenery for others, and it gets dirty fast. I use camo cargo pants and shorts for DIY projects, deep sea fishing and yard work all the time. Paint drop, stains and blood (from me or the fish) just blend in. I never understood why most cargo shorts, pants and shirts for hiking and fishing are Khaki or light colors. They get filthy, and if you are into rugged & dirty hobbies your Khaki shorts and pale blue shirt will still look like crap even after a few washes.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Mikeyboy wrote: 2) They will be singled out as working "for the government" in a SHTF event. Again I always found this funny. Like #1, as long as your are not decked out like a soldier in full uniform and gear, you are going to look like any tom, dick, and harry in a major event. If questioned, don't lie just say its surplus.
Funny you should mention it but we stopped by the immigrant supermarket to buy some lemon grass, we were coming home after a Scouting flea market. The two youngest boys were in their Cub Scout uniforms and my oldest son, 11 and I were in Boy Scout uniforms and on the way out a little Latino boy sincerely asked if we were in the Army. When I told him we were in Scouting, he asked "What's that?"

OBTW khaki comes from the Hindi word for dusty. The old British officer uniforms in India were white until covered with dust at which point some clever fellow suggested they dye them the color of Indian top soil.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

DeadCanadian

Post by DeadCanadian » Thu May 01, 2014 7:12 am

The attitude that you have to serve to carry a Marpat pack is completely stupid. We are talking about a pack, not walking down Main Street in a full uniform with ranks you did not earn. The pack was paid for by the governement with is everybody's tax dollars and your government wants to sell off some gear then then who are you to question your boss devil dogs? :awesome:

Now if it is stolen gear, that is another thing. But is has no value because it is military, stolen gear is stolen gear, military or not.

As for comments on the street, it is just a friggin pack and all forms of camo clothes/gear is worn in the city. So, unless you are in head to toe camo looking like you are going to be on the 5 0'clock news as the next school shooter, you should expect few if any comments in the run of a day.
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a zombie that cares.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote: 2) They will be singled out as working "for the government" in a SHTF event. Again I always found this funny. Like #1, as long as your are not decked out like a soldier in full uniform and gear, you are going to look like any tom, dick, and harry in a major event. If questioned, don't lie just say its surplus.
Funny you should mention it but we stopped by the immigrant supermarket to buy some lemon grass, we were coming home after a Scouting flea market. The two youngest boys were in their Cub Scout uniforms and my oldest son, 11 and I were in Boy Scout uniforms and on the way out a little Latino boy sincerely asked if we were in the Army. When I told him we were in Scouting, he asked "What's that?"

OBTW khaki comes from the Hindi word for dusty. The old British officer uniforms in India were white until covered with dust at which point some clever fellow suggested they dye them the color of Indian top soil.
LOL...reminds me of this scene in Red Dawn (unfortunately I can't find it on youtube)

Mayor Bates: [in Mayor Bates' office, where he is being questioned by Colonel Bella] Daryl, he wouldn't hurt a fly. I know my son, Colonel. He's not the guerrilla type.

Colonel Ernesto Bella: According to records, Mayor... your son is a prominent student leader.

Mayor Bates: Yes, well... he's a leader, but not in a violent or physical way. You see, Daryl... he's more of a politician, like his father.

Colonel Ernesto Bella: A member of an elite paramilitary organization: "Eagle Scouts."

111t

Post by 111t » Sun May 04, 2014 2:44 am

I think there's a big bright line between wanting some quality gear and stolen valor. Carrying a surplus backpack doesn't make you a wannabe marine. I'm sorry but I think that people who think that are being a tad over sensitive.

I think people who dress up as soldiers from any branch in order to gain the admiration or sumpathy or any advantage whatsoever from thankful citizens without having served are dirtbags.

So how much is too much? I agree that the answer is different in the woods as opposed to around town. It seems to me you have more leeway with packs and gear than actual clothing. Also, there really isn't any reason to wear any insignia is there? I was looking at boonie hats the other day and found a YouTube review that had good things to say about the issue marpat boonie. I looked it up and decided against it because of the globe and anchor embroidery. Basically don't be a wannabe and don't look like you're trying to be a wannabe. And if anyone asks you 'hey where'd you get that?' Do exactly what you did... Tell them the truth that you just like the high speed gear... Or that you like the camo pattern.

It sickens me that there are people that would try to befriend a marine and tell them that they were stationed in the 'Kuwait province of the Iraq.'
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Nightmare Machine

Post by Nightmare Machine » Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 am

I also notice that those of us that have a certain amount of old in our fart and grey in our beards don't get hassled.

I guess the cubs don't ask the old, scarred lion if he's been in a fight...LOL.

Again, if you aren't wearing rank or other insignia you didn't earn, then people can get bent if they don't like it.

If you are going to wear unit insignia, or campaign ribbons you didn't earn (I no reason to every wear rank you didn't earn) in honor of a friend or family member, put it on the front of a baseball cap or something, not on a uniform, and if questioned, just say "This is from my friend/dad/uncle/whatever, and I'm wearign hit to honor him because I am proud of, and value his service." Anyone but a complete douchenozzle should accept that.
This city is afraid of me. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!", and I'll whisper "no."

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sun May 04, 2014 1:18 pm

I think in part that much of the sensitivity due to this subject because of the experiences of those who have been to war (I have not) is when such a person accredits to someone the type of respect or admiration they associate with the uniform and then find out that it was "misplaced" because the person wearing it didn't serve, that they become offended. This may have as much to do with their assumption being wrong then any attempt by the "misidentified" individual trying to perpetrate himself as someone.

This is a natural response and happens in all kinds of circumstances. When a person jumps to a conclusion or takes some piece of information as evidence of something and then finds otherwise, he often becomes offended.

There's really quite a few different ways of looking at this. Because it doesn't mean that anyone has done anything wrong and we all know (at least any of us with age and experience under our belts) that deep wounds take time to heal. Anyone who has seen battle in a war is surely affected by it and such experience definitely traumatic.

So, does this mean that it should be a professional courtesy to those who have served not to don the uniform? Some obviously feel that it should. But there are plenty of other people who have served and who don't see it as an offense. I really don't see why it should be. And if anyone wants to take offense at me, I'm sorry for whatever you've been through. But you're not the only one who has suffered in life and war isn't the only place you can find pain. If you want to make an issue over something, I'm sure you can find something better than the pants I put on this morning.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sun May 04, 2014 1:54 pm

I don't see anything wrong with wearing surplus gear when camping, hunting, doing yard work, stuff like that, but when I see people strutting around wearing combats as street clothes, it always strikes me as incredibly dorky.

Seriously, you're wearing someone else's work clothes as a fashion statement. If I was hanging out in a bar wearing a pair of reflective Enbridge cover-alls, and admitted that I never worked for Enbridge, "I just like the style" you'd think I was a weirdo. You'd be right.

You don't even get a pass if you actually are military. You might as well wear a sign saying "Ask me about my tour, bro".

Don't be a LAMFAB, eh.

http://lookatmyfuckingarmybag.blogspot.ca/
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sun May 04, 2014 2:22 pm

I guess I'm just a dorky kinda guy then, right? Oh, well! I've been called worse! And, if I was wearing something else on some other day I'm quite certain there's someone somewhere who would have the same opinion about that also?

Anyway, no offense but I really don't subscribe to any ideological evaluation of "fashion sense" or how to determine what's appropriate according to it. But, to each his own. I guess everyone has a right to whatever opinion they want to take and the rationale behind it.

DON'T LISTEN TO ME, I'M JUST A BIG DORK! :lol:

(thanks for link though, funny stuff!)

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun May 04, 2014 2:46 pm

You mean if ZombieGramps was wearing surplus while doing yard work and broke a blade, in order to go buy a new one from the hardware store, he is supposed to change, drive to the store, buy the blade, drive home, and change back again before he lops the next branches or he's a dork?
All righty, dork us up then.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sun May 04, 2014 3:08 pm

I already said that I don't care about CADPAT and outdoor activities. I wear an old pair of my issued trousers when hunting. There are plenty of situations where milsurp kit is appropriate.

I'm referring to the type of wannabe tough guy who hangs around bars in boots, combat pants and airborne t-shirts, the hipsters who lounge around coffee shops wearing ranks and medals they didn't earn, and the socially inept types who don't understand why an oversized set of combats and a "Fuck YOu" t-shirt is inappropriate wear for a job interview. I'm talking about willful misrepresentation and making a spectacle of oneself.

Whatever the morality or utility of judging people by what they wear, people WILL do it. When people see an adult mincing around playing dress-up in someone else's uniform; they tend to make snap judgements about that person. Whether these judgements are right or wrong often don't matter. People who dress seriously are usually taken seriously, people who dress in a "strange" manner are often treated as weirdos, whether that treatment is deserved or not. Clothing has as much social utility as it does practical utility.

You have the right to dress as you want, but ignoring the fact that you will be treated differently is foolish.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 04, 2014 3:18 pm

It sickens me that there are people that would try to befriend a marine and tell them that they were stationed in the 'Kuwait province of the Iraq.'
I have known a few like that. Of course they were all Iraqi's calling Kuwait the 19th province and all that. Really, they just wanted to be friends so they could get free gear.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Sun May 04, 2014 3:23 pm

I've found that I'm pretty much treated like a piece of feces regardless of the particularities that people point out, identify, or regard as the reason for it. If I do the the exact opposite thing to fit the "acceptable" criteria of what I should have been but wasn't and that was identified as the reason for whatever "differential" treatment I received, somehow this becomes the very same reason for the "differential" treatment I am now receiving!

Due to this phenomena (since I can't do anything right and just aren't what I should be,) I'm really beyond the point of caring! I think the best thing I can do is ignore every living thing around me so as not to become provoked to entering into some regrettable course of action! :evil:

But, I guess that's just how the world is and we need to make light of it or find some way to deal with or understand it which doesn't produce negative results.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun May 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Man, there's a bunch of people spending a lot of time telling everyone how they don't care what other people think about how they dress. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Bug Out Gear”