Page 2 of 6

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:30 pm
by Woods Walker
modustollens wrote:That freedom includes wearing or using clothing not restricted by law
MT
Yup. So long as no law is broken wear whatever yea want. Those who don't like that can mind their own biz or exercise 1A rights to complain about whatever to whoever cares to hear about it. To each their own.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:31 pm
by Woods Walker
Boondock wrote: I simply could not care less what other people do.
Right there! That's the answer, right there.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:10 pm
by Dawgboy
It really comes down to "None of your Business".

That being said, I watched a dude in full marpat cammos break the mirror off a car with his shoulder while splitting traffic on the I15 on Monday afternoon. He dropped it, and since he did it right in front of me, I was obliged to help him up onto his feet after some asphalt ballet... His knees and elbows were not ripped out, but he was bleeding through the fabric. Tough stuff!

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:27 pm
by buck85
In a social interaction, your clothing is your biggest asset.Some day you dress to be unnoticed,some days you dress to fit in and other times make a statement.You learn to read the social group you are interacting with.Wearing 'Marpat' is often perceive to be 'making a statement'.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:18 pm
by veamon
Don't be "that military guy" who looks down on those who didn't serve, but realize the value of the equipment and goods that were designed for them. I support our military, and I have a few military surplus bags I use for long trips. I don't feel bad at all about using it. Some of us went down different paths.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:10 pm
by RonnyRonin
America (and presumably most countries) has a long tradition of using military surplus gear as an affordable way to experience the outdoors. If someone wants this to stop they are going to have to convince the government that surplus gear should be incinerated rather then auctioned off.

I've never seen anyone bat an eye at packs or gear in general. As many ILBEs as are out there anyone who cares had an aneurism and died long ago.

I've heard one of my USMC buddies complain about MARPAT in public enough to be careful about it. I don't wear the uniforms unless I'm airsofting/paintballing/fighting russian paratroopers but the MARPAT goretex is my favorite pair of rain pants. I have had other USMC friends offer me FROG gear they weren't using and I've bought more then one MARPAT item from a USMC vet, so opinions are definitely mixed. If I can not piss someone off by not wearing my IWCS to the range that day I'll make the effort. If they're going to get worked up because I don't want to get hit with more then my share of BBs I'm less inclined to play along.

I understand the "stolen valor" concern, as well as the protectiveness of the EGA (which is unfortunately printed all over MARPAT) but I try to use the "reasonably prudent person" rule. if anyone thinks a scrawny bearded guy in cleats and a paintball mask with no patches or rank insignia is impersonating a Marine, they are neither reasonable or prudent. If I'm not invited to their birthday because I don't want to give up the best camo for my AO I probably would have pissed them off eventually anyway.

this was never a problem back when everyone wore woodland. part of me kind of hopes they do force everyone back into the same uniform so we can avoid this silliness in the future.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:17 pm
by Tobias05
Scared to death to wear MARPAT in public. :ohdear:

Lots of ACU and ABU on campus tho, might blend in (ha ha) for a few minutes until some former DD choke slammed me. Seen a few ILBE assault packs.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:54 pm
by bltjr1951
Next thing you know, someone will be afraid they'll piss off the Swiss wearing their stuff.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 4&t=112236

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:49 am
by DannusMaximus
Woods Walker wrote:
Boondock wrote: I simply could not care less what other people do.
Right there! That's the answer, right there.
Ditto. Wear whatever you like. If part of my unremarkable service in the USMC ensured the freedom of my fellow citizens to exercise poor fashion sense, then so be it.

About the only time I notice a person wearing some type of military garb is the old guys walking around with their WWII, Korea, or Vietnam Vet ballcaps, sometimes with unit pins or rank / awards displayed on them. Love those guys. I always make it a point to thank them for their service and ask a few questions if they seem interested in visiting.

I was stuck in the grocery store a few years ago behind some doddering old man that had somehow managed to take up the entire aisle and was taking his sweet-ass time comparing brands of soup or some other annoying shit. Deaf as a post too, because I had said 'Sir, excuse me, can I squeeze through here?' at least a few times and had gotten nothing. Ugh. I was getting ready to just shove past him when I caught the WWII ball cap that had 'IWO JIMA VETERAN' embroidered underneath it, and a GySgt. rank pin along with sundry other pins. Made my goddamn day to give a handshake to that old gunny. :D

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:10 am
by Mountainsquid
itzybitzyspyder wrote:I I like tough shit that won't crap out and Uncle Sam pays top dollar for the best.

Uncle Sam pays cost-plus contracts for equipment that meets specific requirements. Sometimes it's "The best", but all you have to do is look at, say, the saga as to how the M9 became the sidearm to understand that .mil buys within contract requirements, not the most fancy stuff on the planet. This is especially so for things that require a lot less capital investment and more use of COTS solutions.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:37 am
by Nick Adams
Is this a real question? How could anyone be bothered by a guy buying some US surplus camo and wearing or using it? If it wasn't legal I don't think they would be selling it out in the open.
While back I sort of got into collecting camo clothing, don't really like most US stuff other then Vietnam Tiger camo and WWII camo. I wear some of it at times but am always careful not to be in an entire camo outfit, just me but I think that looks goofy.
One of my pet peeves is guys that go to gun shows dressed head to toe in camo, thinks it gives gun owners a bad look but hey that's just me and really they have the right to do what they want and I don't loose sleep over it.
I've bought a good bit of military gear from US vets at the flea market that was selling it because they needed the money I guess. Picked up a couple surfire lights on the very cheap like this. they told me it was part of the gear they could bring home with them..

I have a friend and she wears old boy scout and girl scout uniforms and I think she looks great in them! A good " look" I think

I wear an original WWII Women's auxiliary beret , has a white circle with a big star on the top. One of my favorite hats and about worn out, I have got many compliments on it and always bring a smile when I tell them what it is.

I have cap that I sewed on an original WWII 66th infantry patch on, snarling black panther, and have people ask me if it is a "Black Panther" hat! I usually give them the Black Power salute and say fight the man to give them something to think about. OH , I'm white

I have an old Carhart jacket that I sewed a Great Full Dead "steal your face" patch on. I have had MANY people think this is a US military patch. these guys would come up and ask about my service or say stuff like they were in Nam too, [I'm not even old enough], at first I had no idea what they were talking about but soon found out that it was the Dead patch that was confusing these folks many of which were vets.....I think this is really funny

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 pm
by RonnyRonin
Nick Adams wrote:Is this a real question? How could anyone be bothered by a guy buying some US surplus camo and wearing or using it? If it wasn't legal I don't think they would be selling it out in the open.
I've actually seen this come up on other forums as well, it is a legitimate question but it seems that Marines are the only ones that will really hassle anyone, and only about MARPAT uniforms. Pretty much everyone else in the military has to share their uniform with someone different enough from themselves that they don't care.

Most Marines don't seem to mind so much (with the typical "as long as you aren't imitating" caveat) but the few that do are pretty vocal. I've even heard of corpsman getting hassled because they didn't "earn" the EGA imbedded in the uniform they have to wear.

In any other situation irritating other people is just a fact of life, but in this particular case the ones getting irritated are young, fit aggressive males all jacked up on "esprit de corp" so a more thoughtful considerate approach is wise.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:53 pm
by buck85
buck85 wrote:In a social interaction, your clothing is your biggest asset.Some day you dress to be unnoticed,some days you dress to fit in and other times make a statement.You learn to read the social group you are interacting with.Wearing 'Marpat' is often perceive to be 'making a statement'.
I do wear camo because it is functional
I do not not judge others, but I do notice.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:42 am
by Fortitudine
If you wear smocks people will assume that you are a doctor or nurse. If you wear a pilot uniform people will assume you're a pilot. If you wear a military uniform people will assume you served or are serving. That's life: we all make assumptions based on what we see.

And yes, Marines don't like people wearing the uniform if they didn't earn it. No one is saying you don't have the right to wear whatever you want; you do. Just remember that others have the right to not like it.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:44 am
by Caenus
I just found this thread, and something...odd happened this morning. I work 6p-4a for a local PD. I get off work and usually run around 4:30a to 5:30p. This morning was different and I decided to skip my morning (or evening? Fuck if I know working that schedule) PT because my 2yo was sick and didn't want my wife to go about her Saturday with NO sleep. So I stopped at a convenience store and bought a 5hr energy. As I was paying the guy behind me said "you piece of shit". I turned around and it was the guy that walked into the store after me. I actually held the door for him.

"Are you talking to me?" (Self props for saying that btw)
"Yeah asshole. I didn't spend 3 tours in the sand box for some asshole to disgrace the uniform."
(I look down...oh yeah, wearing my old Army PT shirt with spam shorts)
I really didn't know what to say, so I took my 5hr energy and rolled out.
What the guy didn't know was that I too, had spent my time in "the sandbox" (douche term btw) and the old PT shirt was just another workout shirt to me at that point.

My personal experience is that people that are overly sensitive about the military are either suffering from PTSD (don't really wanna open that can of works at a convenience store) or were "in" and had some job that didn't fulfill them. I've never met someone that was a cold blooded trigger pulled that cared if you were not wearing the proper uniform. Shit, half the stone cold type I ran into in the army never bothered to lace their boots in garrison. :P

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:48 am
by Doctorr Fabulous
Caenus wrote:I just found this thread, and something...odd happened this morning. I work 6p-4a for a local PD. I get off work and usually run around 4:30a to 5:30p. This morning was different and I decided to skip my morning (or evening? Fuck if I know working that schedule) PT because my 2yo was sick and didn't want my wife to go about her Saturday with NO sleep. So I stopped at a convenience store and bought a 5hr energy. As I was paying the guy behind me said "you piece of shit". I turned around and it was the guy that walked into the store after me. I actually held the door for him.

"Are you talking to me?" (Self props for saying that btw)
"Yeah asshole. I didn't spend 3 tours in the sand box for some asshole to disgrace the uniform."
(I look down...oh yeah, wearing my old Army PT shirt with spam shorts)
I really didn't know what to say, so I took my 5hr energy and rolled out.
What the guy didn't know was that I too, had spent my time in "the sandbox" (douche term btw) and the old PT shirt was just another workout shirt to me at that point.

My personal experience is that people that are overly sensitive about the military are either suffering from PTSD (don't really wanna open that can of works at a convenience store) or were "in" and had some job that didn't fulfill them. I've never met someone that was a cold blooded trigger pulled that cared if you were not wearing the proper uniform. Shit, half the stone cold type I ran into in the army never bothered to lace their boots in garrison. :P
That seems...excessive. I prefer to just silently roll my eyes. It tweaks me a bit when I see someone wearing MARPAT trousers with a rigger's belt like it's a pair of jeans, but I've never said anything about it. It's my constitutional right to assume the guy's a dickbag until further notice.

I've never had the urge to wear the old greens to run. Silkies are more comfortable. I wear the shit out of my boots though, because fuck em if they aren't perfectly broke in.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:58 am
by Dead_Like_Disco
I guess I'm slightly desensitized to it from competition days. My buddy and I (who served in the same platoon) used to shoot 600 any/anys and there were your fair share of guys who never served wearing surplus clothing. We used to joke about the least amount of service you did the more issued crap you wore at the events. One guy who I deeply respect (a member of the President's 100) who never served told me that he liked the BDU pants because they were cheap and held up for a full season of competition before they wore out and I was good with that. Another guy who took it to the extreme including a 10th Mountain Division vanity plate told me he deeply respected 10th Mountain (never served and came from inherited money). Anyway Mr. 10th pulled a bogus move at a match one day... If you know anything about 600 any/anys you know that the semi-autos have the advantage at closer range while the bolt guns rein supreme at the longer ranges but it usually equals out in the end. Anyway he used a technicality in the rules to switch out rifles since his national match AR mysteriously started to malfunction after the shorter range heats and switched it out for a bull barrel scoped bolt gun for the longer range engagements effectively skewing the dynamic and spirit of the match. Oddly enough his name has been switched on the score board to "@ss clown" for the remainder of that season. In my eyes his "respect" is worthless.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:55 pm
by dunamis
I wear military camouflage in public all the time. I also have military packs or packs that that look military for my EDC. I guess some people automatically make the connection between service and a person they see in "uniform." I've gotten quite a few questions or comments about it. Sometimes I carry on an entire conversation with the other person who just naturally makes this assumption and I don't really find the opportunity to point it out! Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I like the pants because of the cargo pockets and the ability to button my back pockets. I also like the ability to cinch the bottom up over my boots. The pants are ruggedly built and it's really hard to tell if they're dirty! So, as long as they don't stink, I don't need to run them through the wash :) They are a good quality product at a reasonable price of you find a deal on ebay.

You know, as far as choosing clothing as a means to express your "identity" or to show something about the "type" of person you are, I don't understand and don't buy into that. If it were true what it would basically mean is that I can buy my personality and then wear it in public for others to see. I don't dress to impress and don't make a point of presenting myself to others for them to judge me by my appearance (although they invariably do anyway) so I really don't see what difference the clothes anybody is wearing makes.

My USGI camo pants are my favorite! I have the old school woodland and the current multicam and am scouting ebay for a pair of the marpat. I had to remove the metal clasps on the side of my old school ones because they were digging into my sides when wearing a belt. The multicam cam ones have a draw string as well as belt loops and the marpat ones I've been viewing have elastic in the waist as well as belt loops.

In my opinion, anyone who is going to develop an idea about who you are based on what variety of apparel you are dressed in presently is very small minded and probably not worth knowing anyway (there may be exeptions to this observation.) The notion that some sort of reason is required to dress in this or that clothing seems to me equally preposterous unless it has to do with a necessity. By comparison the civilian cargo pants are usually pretty cheesy and the pockets aren't very good and also cost more.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:40 pm
by ZombieGranny
Yeah, I never chose clothing as a means to express my identity or to show something about the type of person I was; I chose the stuff that fit and wore/wear it because people in our culture aren't supposed to go naked.
(Not to mention, if naked I'd either be cold or sunburned depending on the time of year.)
If I have marpat I'll wear it when camping, if I have a tie-dye sarong I'll wear it in the heat, if I have a frigging bearskin coat and it's freezing I'll wear it too.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:58 pm
by ArmorOIC
My hypothesis is that military equipment (GI) is not better than civilian equipment. To test this hypothesis, investigate what equipment you see special operations using across the services. In my own experience, I know that these groups make liberal use of their gov credit cards to purchase non-GI equipment. GI equipment like the backpack you have was produced and issued within the constraints of a low-bid contracting environment.

Most importantly, and to your point, I would argue that civilian camouflage out-performs military versions in most situations. Wearing MARPAT in the urban open will only draw the wrong attention.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:36 pm
by Doctorr Fabulous
ArmorOIC wrote:My hypothesis is that military equipment (GI) is not better than civilian equipment. To test this hypothesis, investigate what equipment you see special operations using across the services. In my own experience, I know that these groups make liberal use of their gov credit cards to purchase non-GI equipment. GI equipment like the backpack you have was produced and issued within the constraints of a low-bid contracting environment.

Most importantly, and to your point, I would argue that civilian camouflage out-performs military versions in most situations. Wearing MARPAT in the urban open will only draw the wrong attention.
This was my experience as well. A pair of MARPAT trousers would last a year and a half or less and cost $40 or more brand new. A pair of Carrharts is about the same and easily double the life.

Politicians spend too much money learning how to influence someone's perception of them through their dress for me to buy the claims that we don't make snap judgements based on clothing. Not absolute judgements, but there's definitely a "sizing up" that happens before people speak.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:12 pm
by ArmorOIC
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Politicians spend too much money learning how to influence someone's perception of them through their dress for me to buy the claims that we don't make snap judgements based on clothing. Not absolute judgements, but there's definitely a "sizing up" that happens before people speak.
I have no doubt that you are correct. Think of all the times you've let a craigslist buyer into your home to complete a transaction (or maybe I'm the only one :rofl: ). You know with great certainty from the moment the buyer steps out of a vehicle the level of risk you've encountered. No judgment, just levels of risk. The MARPAT pack has just introduced you as a person of heightened risk of which the effects are unnecessary and without tactical benefit. This is all very serious... :D

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:32 pm
by Kommander
This is why I wish I had been able to get my ILBE in a regular color and not the marine MARPAT. What actually bugs me the most is the EGA on the proper label inside of it. Perhaps I should cut it out or go over it with a marker but that might just be worse. I dont know, I just wanted a reasonable pack for a reasonable price. I also have a watch that had the SEAL Trident on the backplate but I otherwise really like. Normally I would not buy something like that but it was a gift.

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:22 am
by manowar1313
Personally I wear BDU pants when I'm working construction. I rent to several military who leave them regularly and they are comfortable and free. The idea that only military can wear BDU is ridiculous to me. As long as you are not impersonating a active duty military who cares? Sounds to me like that dude was looking for something.
That being said, it's very hard not to wear any style camo and not look like a tool.