What have you made lately?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ssgcmw

What have you made lately?

Post by ssgcmw » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm

I did a quick look for a thread where we could show-off "homemade" bug out gear and didn't find anything... thought I would start one.

A quick project: a light diffuser for a Fenix PD32 flashlight. I created the model in Sketchup and then printed two on the 3D printer at work (one white and one yellow).

Here's the .stl file if anyone is interested

spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What have you made lately?

Post by spyderco monkey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:10 pm

Very cool man, 3D printing is awesome and that's a very unique application. I was unaware they had translucent print material; all of mine have been black or that awful bone white color.

I've been building quite a bit of stuff lately. One' a day/night signal mirror, the others a way to carry a handcuff key in a watch strap. I'll post pictures soon.

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 am

spyderco monkey wrote:Very cool man, 3D printing is awesome and that's a very unique application. I was unaware they had translucent print material; all of mine have been black or that awful bone white color.
The plastic that came with the printer is pretty translucent, but I made the design to work with regular colors. The walls of the diffuser are 1mm thick, reinforced every 90 degrees for strength.

michgan241

Post by michgan241 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:10 pm

I recently made a ultralight tarp using polycro(the plastic you use to winter treat windows) for hammock camping. They also use it as a tent footprint and is fairly puncture resistant. Its more along the lines of something you can use assuming the tarp you have fails but i like the added benefit of being able to see through it!

all i used was duct tape and a 7x10 sheet from wally world for 4-5 bucks.

The tarp weighs under 5.5 oz and packs up pretty small. I've used it in light rain, but if you had wind driven rain i'd say tape two together to create a 14x10.

I would post pictures but its telling me it couldnt tell the dimensions of the img.. but here is one that is pretty much the same as mine.

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:02 pm

10 and 5 man camo tipis

I hunt therfore I am

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 pm

I really like the look of those, WYO. I'm loving my tarp tipi, btw, thanks again!!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 pm

wyominglostandfound wrote:10 and 5 man camo tipis
What did you use to make those?

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 am

a good sewing machine and ripstop nylon

Thanks bacpacjac
I hunt therfore I am

moab

Post by moab » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Firesteel:

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Not exactly bugout related but since the boy is addicted to Minecraft we built him a Minecraft chest.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 pm

wyominglostandfound wrote:a good sewing machine and ripstop nylon
I haven't used a sewing machine since "Home & Careers" class in middle school... I've been thinking about trying to find once used so I could re-learn those skills. I love customizing my own gear, but sewing it by hand is such a pain in the a$$.

Teqnikal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, AAAAAAAH ZOMBIES!!!

Post by Teqnikal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Cedar

Post by Cedar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Does a home cured ham count?

We butchered one of the hogs which was half the size of the rest. We decided to quit wasting food on it.

It was about 120 pounds as a carcass, this is after I cut it up (not all parts are in the pics)

Selecting a ham to cure. It was 10-ish pounds, after 8 days curing it was down to 8 pounds.

Curing with salt, brown sugar and spices. No nitrates or pink salt.

Just out of the smoker. I only smoked it with applewood, in a maple syrupcoating.

After baking it in the oven for 2.5 hours.

I am now working on the bacon.

Cedar

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Cedar wrote:Does a home cured ham count?

I am now working on the bacon.

Cedar
Of course home cured ham counts! And bacon is so good it counts twice!

Hoipoloi

Trip Wire Alarm

Post by Hoipoloi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:23 pm

I made a pair of these for use when there may be someone skulking around at night while I'm fast asleep in my tent (I don't sleep with my cycle and I have concerns for it's well being).

I could probably have adapted something from a 'pull-pin' personal alarm, or maybe one of those fishing alarms that tell you when your line is taught. Problem is they all work from button cell batteries and I have a strict AA cell only policy for my torches (Eneloop cells and an AA charger running of an Anker 14w solar panel).

So I decided to put these simple alarms together powered by a single AA battery (the other alarm is identical other than a piezo sounder is used instead of a buzzer).

Basically just a series circuit with two switches, one of which is the trip switch. The buzzer (in white) is bottom right and the trip switch is center right. All else should be self-explanatory. The trip switch consists of an ordinary 1/4" audio chassis socket that incorporates contacts that make (close) when a plug is withdrawn. For the 'plug' I used a piece of plastic tubing which is pulled out of the socket when the trip wire is tugged.

To set up one end of the trip wire (10 metres of black 1mm waxed cotton thread) is attached to a tree/log whatever, then routed to where the alarm will be stationed thus determining the monitored area. Any slack in the trip wire is pulled through the hole in the plastic plug, wound around it a few times and the passed through the slit in the end of the plug. The alarm is then anchored to the ground using a small tent peg. Once this is set up the rocker switch is turned on. This rocker switch was added so that the whole thing could be deployed in silence and finally armed when everything is to your liking.

A small twig is used to lift the 'wire' to the desired height.

This unit is not waterproof as it is intended to be located under a tarp or basha, basically next to my ears as the sound is NOT car alarm loud, more like travel alarm clock loud.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:14 pm

This has nothing to do with bug out but I saw some other posts in here that probably didn't either :wink: Besides; I like showing off my handiwork! It does have something to do with conserving energy since my Mom complained of cold air getting in through the kitchen countertop that is above the extended part of the window. Plus, they just look a whole heckuva lot better now! The house was also pressure washed and painted afterwards.

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:21 pm

These are the rest of the pictures. The last one has my little nephew Jaydn standing in front of a completed and primered portion. Getting the siding on between the window box and the half-wall was a real pain!

]Image

kaligaran

Post by kaligaran » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Does bug in gear count?

I just finished this on Saturday following these plans I found on the interwebs.

It's a canned food rotator!

ImageImage

Cedar

Post by Cedar » Fri May 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Nice.. How many cans does it hold?

Cedar

kaligaran

Post by kaligaran » Fri May 09, 2014 1:43 pm

Cedar wrote:Nice.. How many cans does it hold?

Cedar
16 cans fit in each 'row' which includes both the top feeder and the bottom ramps.
Entire thing holds 480 cans (30 total rows at 16 cans each).

So the thing will be really heavy when full. I'm upgrading the casters on it b/c math is hard and I bought the wrong ones. :oops:

Exploriment

Post by Exploriment » Sun May 11, 2014 10:59 pm

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Mon May 12, 2014 12:40 am

kaligaran wrote:Does bug in gear count?

I just finished this on Saturday following these plans I found on the interwebs.

It's a canned food rotator!

ImageImage
I think I love you.

Dead_Like_Disco

Post by Dead_Like_Disco » Thu May 15, 2014 10:41 am

Screw top insulated container/coffee cup/measuring cup/bowl made from a zip-lock container and a 2 dollar windshield shade. It's for an ultralight-ish kit I'm putting together. Just gotta glue the insulation to the top and it's done. Weighs 1.5 ounces.

Mountain Wolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by Mountain Wolf » Sat May 17, 2014 3:19 am

Hi
I made 5 home made knifes gifts for my friends and family :)

Return to “Bug Out Gear”